PDA

View Full Version : If you had to contract 3 NBA teams, who would you pick and why?

EricMontross
08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
The title says it all.

ccugrad1
08-31-2012, 12:11 PM
For me, it would be the Charlotte Bobcats, Toronto Raptors, and the Sacramento Kings. Charlotte just stinks, Toronto seems to inconsistent and I don't see basketball as a big time thing in Canada, and Sacramento can't seem to find a home it likes.

Hellcrooner
08-31-2012, 12:19 PM
bobcats, grizzlies, raptors.

Last in, first out.

But im against contraction, in fact what league needs is TWO new teams .

DoMeFavors
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
NY Knicks , Minnesota Twolves, Orlando Magic

PrettyBoyJ
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I would only contract Charlotte: Only one playoff appearance in their history, and may not make it for another decade.. Small market team which isn't an attractive landing spot for FA.

Every other team are maybe one or two players from making the playoffs

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I would only contract Charlotte: Only one playoff appearance in their history, and may not make it for another decade.. Small market team which isn't an attractive landing spot for FA.

Every other team are maybe one or two players from making the playoffs

llullz, they've only existed for 8 yrs.

goose14741
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM

you ;)

jon32
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
For those who would contract the Raptors......you should probably know that they are one of the most consistant teams at making money.....top 10 actually. Taking them out would be a dumb move

StarvingKnick22
08-31-2012, 12:43 PM

deals off, i hate you even more now.

asandhu23
08-31-2012, 12:44 PM
deals off, i hate you even more now.

There was a deal?

JLynn943
08-31-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't think any teams need to be contracted. If I had to do it and the decision was mine, goodbye Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons (only because they're the 3 teams I hate most).

bootleg42
08-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Heat, Lakers, and the Raptors only because by doing that, you'll make the NBA interesting again.

phantasyyy
08-31-2012, 12:51 PM
For those who would contract the Raptors......you should probably know that they are one of the most consistant teams at making money.....top 10 actually. Taking them out would be a dumb move

thats true, take out toronto, and ur pretty much losing a huge fan base from Canada and the raptors are one of the most filled up arenas you can get even when the product on the floor wasn't to good, now that we have some young and up coming players look for the ACC to sold out like the days when we had bosh and wuz making dem playoffz

that said, bucks, kings n charlotte/portland

portland because they're medical staff sucks n players seem to just have their career ended there LOL

RealLiveBear
08-31-2012, 12:53 PM
For me, it would be the Charlotte Bobcats, Toronto Raptors, and the Sacramento Kings. Charlotte just stinks, Toronto seems to inconsistent and I don't see basketball as a big time thing in Canada, and Sacramento can't seem to find a home it likes.

People need to stop saying this...

http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/#p_2_s_a0_

Raptors are 12th most valuable franchise... Canadians must have some interest in watching they're NBA team.

As for OP's question bottom 3 teams on this list would be the answer if contraction was a good idea which it isn't so these threads should really stop popping up on here every month.

jmoney23
08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
For those suggesting the contraction of the Raptors, that's just uninformed stupidity. The Raptors are consistently among the top money generators in the league, they do well in attendance, and Toronto is actually one of the biggest NBA markets in the league. They have a strong fan base and fans tend not to waiver in their support, even though the team does not necessarily have success year in and year out. David Stern makes a lot of mistakes, but even he would not be dumb enough to contract the Raptors.

Hellcrooner
08-31-2012, 01:10 PM
The truth is NO TEAM needs contraction.
TEams have good times and bad times so sometimes they make money sometimes they dont.

since 1982 ( last 30 years)

1 Lakers win rings
2 Suns Make Finals
3 Spurs Win rings
4 Rockets win rings
5 Mavs win ring
6 Blazers make finals
7 Jazz make finals
8 Sonics/thunder make finals
9 Bulls win rings
10 Pistons win rings
11 Pacers make finals
12 Cavs Make finals
13 Knicks make finals
14 Nets make Finals
15 Sixers win ring
16 Celtics win Rings
17 Magic make finals
18 Heat win rings

Thats 18 out of 30 teams making finals and 8 different teams winning, thats not bad at all.

And most of the other teams have made conference finals at least once , go figure.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Knicks, Lakers and Bulls. Gets rid of all the trolls on PSD. There'd still be the Heat trolls but whatever.

Hellcrooner
08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Knicks, Lakers and Bulls. Gets rid of all the trolls on PSD. There'd still be the Heat trolls but whatever.

Every team has trolls.
Including yours......bhf :rolleyes:

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Get rid of the teams that really have made no significant strides in recent history.

Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors. I'll give the Bobcats a chance since they've only been in existence since 2004.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Every team has trolls.
Including yours......bhf :rolleyes:

3 teams listed have the most trolls.

Also, ban all teams that have Spanish players.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-31-2012, 01:28 PM
3 teams listed have the most trolls.

Also, ban all teams that have Spanish players.

llullz, don't do it to Crooner.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-31-2012, 01:29 PM
For those suggesting the contraction of the Raptors, that's just uninformed stupidity. The Raptors are consistently among the top money generators in the league, they do well in attendance, and Toronto is actually one of the biggest NBA markets in the league. They have a strong fan base and fans tend not to waiver in their support, even though the team does not necessarily have success year in and year out. David Stern makes a lot of mistakes, but even he would not be dumb enough to contract the Raptors.

I see your point, but the quality of basketball stinks up there. Hell, it stunk when Chris Bosh was there. Fans might be great there, but the organization and their vision isn't all that great, thus, the below mediocre product out there on the floor.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
ffien, i wnot trol croonre aneymoar.

MrfadeawayJB
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Bobcats, Raptors, Kings,.....or move one of them to Seattle

THE MTL
08-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Bobcats, Wolves, Clippers (sure they good now but the rest of their 40yr history includes only 5 playoff appearances and 6 winning records).

koetravis
08-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Hawks, Grizz, and Bucks.

conway429
08-31-2012, 01:54 PM
I see your point, but the quality of basketball stinks up there. Hell, it stunk when Chris Bosh was there. Fans might be great there, but the organization and their vision isn't all that great, thus, the below mediocre product out there on the floor.

Raptors won the division 5 years ago, and have since done a rebuild.
When we had Vince, Raptors jerseys were the hottest jerseys in the league.
It would be bad business for the NBA to eliminate the 4th largest city in the whole league, especially one that makes money even when the team struggles.
If you need to contract, get rid of some of the teams no one, even their own fans, cares about.

You could even say the Raptors represent all of Canada, and are therefore the largest market in the league.
Whether or not some American fans want to acknowledge a team outside of their own country, the Raptors are one of the more significant franchises in the NBA.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-31-2012, 01:57 PM

If you put a hard cap like there should be, you would see more parity and see teams like the Raptors, Bobcats and Kings make the playoffs.

king4day
08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Lakers, Knicks, Heat.

That eliminates all of the 'hot spots' free agents love to go (despite being in LA, no one ever wants to go to the Clippers.).
Now we have parity. Players will find new teams to go to and the balance couldn't be better.

Rockice_8
08-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Kings, Bucks, Bobcats, and Hornets (take your pick of those 4). I would have said Nets too until they moved but they'll be fine now.

These teams just can't draw enough fans. That was the basis of my decision even though INDY and DET were worse I think they can bounce back cause of the area they're in. I think NO might be able to bounce back a bit this year too.

Slade123
08-31-2012, 02:11 PM

But contraction isn't about on court success. It's about how much money the franchise is making or losing. Since the Raptors are in the top 10 or 15 in making money, contracting them would be an extremely stupid move. Especially when you consider there are other teams that consistently lose money.

CubsBullsBucs
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
contract Toronto and Charlotte, keep the Kings where they are, but if they have to move, move them to Seattle. you need to have an even number of teams

thrice4
08-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Warriors or Sacramento. No state needs 4 teams.

imagesrdecievin
08-31-2012, 02:48 PM
But contraction isn't about on court success. It's about how much money the franchise is making or losing. Since the Raptors are in the top 10 or 15 in making money, contracting them would be an extremely stupid move. Especially when you consider there are other teams that consistently lose money.

With that being the biggest factor - I'd say Charlotte, NO and Memphis.

topdog
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Why even ask? The league is not going to contract teams. It sounds as if they may look to relocate some though i.e. Kings.

Not to mention that this seems to be a thread every couple of weeks.

Dade County
08-31-2012, 03:04 PM
I would relocate the clippers....

Wolves, Kings, Bobcats

Wolves...because of KG lol

Kings... because of the Laker series, the league is against them.

Bobcats are the bobcats

Supamauhn
08-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Jazz, Grizzlies, New Orleans

WaltonSystem
08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Hornets, Bobcats, Kings
None of these three teams are really striving right now to get better faster, it's either that or they are shipping out players trying to save $$ or they are just a laughing stock.

I don't really understand why people would say Toronto..That would hurt David Sterns master plan of taking over the world.

JeffG20
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Kings, Bucks, Bobcats, and Hornets (take your pick of those 4). I would have said Nets too until they moved but they'll be fine now.

These teams just can't draw enough fans. That was the basis of my decision even though INDY and DET were worse I think they can bounce back cause of the area they're in. I think NO might be able to bounce back a bit this year too.

New orleans is very capable of drawing, i'd give them maybe another 7 year window. when they are a playoff team they can draw.

JeffG20
08-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Hornets, Bobcats, Kings
None of these three teams are really striving right now to get better faster, it's either that or they are shipping out players trying to save $$ or they are just a laughing stock.

I don't really understand why people would say Toronto..That would hurt David Sterns master plan of taking over the world.

thats just not true, Tom Benson didnt buy the team just to save money. he's rebranding, renovating, and keeping the team here long term.

you dont give eric gordon a max contract if your a cheap owner

#Shumpert Up
08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
1. bobcats. send gilchrist to the hornets and ban jordan from owning a team ever again LOL

since you need to keep an even number of teams

2. bucks cus they just never have any fans and the arenas are empty

that is all

BALLER R
08-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Your ignorant or uneducated if you said Toronto.

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2012, 09:57 PM

The Toronto Raptros are one of the few teams in the league that are actually MAKING money. If there was a contraction, there is no way the Raptors would be one of those teams. They are the third or fourth biggest market in the NBA.

Sac-town and Charlotte are both good picks, and I think, even though they have a good roster, Memphis would be another good one to contract. Of course, there is Minny as well...and the Suns always struggle to make money.

rocket
08-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Lakers Knicks Heat

GoPacers33
08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Kings, Bobcats, Bucks

ccugrad1
08-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Outside of Canada, who really wants to see the Raptors in the NBA?

Outside of Canada, if the Raptors were gone, would anyone miss them?

beasted86
08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Bobcats, Grizzlies, Timberwolves.

All for the same reasons. Small markets which struggle to draw both fans and free agents. Those 3 teams are respectively the 1st, 2nd, and 4th most losing franchises of all time as well.

Hellcrooner
08-31-2012, 10:52 PM

Outside of canada AND USA we dont have absolutely no problem with the raptors.

topdog
08-31-2012, 10:56 PM
I have never understood the attack on Minnesota in these threads. People ignore the economics of the product i.e. winning teams draw fans, losing teams don't. A couple fun facts:

1. Minnesota has the record for highest attendance in a season - their first one when they played in a larger arena (and thus had a higher seating capacity).

2. Before their re-build, the Wolves made 8 consecutive playoff appearances starting in '96-'97 and going through the '03-'04 season. Two years of re-tooling led to a delayed reconstruction effort.

3. Glenn Taylor is the President of the Board of Governors and recently found his eventual successor who is contractually-bound to keep the Wolves in Minnesota.

4. There is a reason small-market Minnesota has professional teams in every major American sport - there is a demand. This is the same state that started the Lakers dynasty before getting screwed over by owners and almost screwed over by owners again in 1994 with what would have been the "New Orleans Timberwolves."

BuddhaMONK
08-31-2012, 11:04 PM
For me I'd contract the United states...stupid f***s Canada invented Basketball and a Canadian franchise participated in the first NBA game ever. Toronto deserves a team more than every single American franchise specially considering the inventor of the game was born near there.

DodgerB24
08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Lakers, Knicks, Heat.

That eliminates all of the 'hot spots' free agents love to go (despite being in LA, no one ever wants to go to the Clippers.).
Now we have parity. Players will find new teams to go to and the balance couldn't be better.

Then players will just find new franchises they want to go to. Then a vicious cycle repeats itself until the NBA implodes.

Gators123
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
For me I'd contract the United states...stupid f***s Canada invented Basketball and a Canadian franchise participated in the first NBA game ever. Toronto deserves a team more than every single American franchise specially considering the inventor of the game was born near there.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/chlorie/Gif%20Folder/CmonSon.gif

Greedy22
09-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Why the hell would anyone wanna contract the t'wolves? :confused:

Vinylman
09-01-2012, 01:17 PM
3 teams is pretty limiting... the first 2 are pretty straightforward the third not so much which is why i would get rid of 4. Plus it needs to be an even number anyway.

1. Charlotte
2. Sacramento
3. Minnesotra or New Orleans

terrible management, bad markets, no one would care if they were gone

lamzoka
09-01-2012, 01:39 PM

your hate for the Knicks is ridiculous:facepalm:

jon32
09-01-2012, 01:43 PM

.....the nba would prob miss the money they make from the team.

asandhu23
09-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Kings should not be contracted. They are one of the original NBA teams.

torontosports10
09-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Outside of LA who would miss the Lakers.

outside of NY who would miss the Knicks

Outside of Mia who would miss the Heat

Great argument you have there.

asandhu23
09-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Warriors or Sacramento. No state needs 4 teams.

you aren't getting rid of Warriors. They are one of the original NBA teams in one of the bigger markets with very loyal fans.

Same goes for the Kings.

Not all states are equal. California has a lot of people and big cities. 4 teams in California makes sense. Clippers should move to San Diego. They used to be there.

asandhu23
09-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Kings, Bobcats, Bucks

Bucks are an interesting case because they are an old team with history but their fan base issue is disturbing.

Tmath
09-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Just the Clippers for me, I think they should be relocated. I find it ridiculous they play in the same building as the Lakers.

Relocate them to Seattle or Vancouver.

netsgiantsyanks
09-01-2012, 02:25 PM

:laugh:

netsgiantsyanks
09-01-2012, 02:26 PM

cool story bro.

HowBoutDemBulls
09-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Charlotte
Sacremento
Miami

topdog
09-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Bucks are an interesting case because they are an old team with history but their fan base issue is disturbing.

I don't know much about the fan base to comment long-term, but in the recent past they have had some pretty mediocre teams. Every team has down trends when they are losing more than winning, small markets just feel it more because they don't have the same volume of casual fans to fill emptying seats.

I also think that "poor management" and bad W-L records are poor indicators of a team worthy of contraction. Those things can change very quickly and don't necessarily impact the bottom line in some markets. Ownership is a bigger factor to me and that too can change or be re-located.

TylerSL
09-01-2012, 03:54 PM
bobcats, grizzlies, raptors.

Last in, first out.

But im against contraction, in fact what league needs is TWO new teams .

I agree, we need to give Seattle a team again, and a team in a place like Baltimore or San Diego would be nice.

TheSource
09-01-2012, 04:19 PM
If Raptors still fill up seats when they're having bad season after bad season, imagine if they have a successful season. Fingers crossed for Lowry, Fields and Ross to come through for us!

THE MTL
09-01-2012, 04:42 PM
All of you have short-term memory, for the LA Clippers to not make everyone's list is plain stupid. Sure they got Blake and CP3 now, but before that Clippers have been trash for over 40 years.

rhino17
09-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Bobcats and Raptors are the 2 obvious choices. The last one would be between New Orleans, Memphis, Clippers, and Sacramento

Pfeifer
09-01-2012, 05:28 PM
How are the raptors even an option. Really a team should be put back in Vancouver. Basketball is very popular in Canada most people just don't realize it's at the grass roots level. If you ask David stern he would say moving the grizzlies was his biggest regret he has said it many times. The raptors are a cash cow and just because the team on the court has been crap doesn't mean they aren't profitable.

LanceUpperCut
09-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Just cause your ignorant of the world around you doesn't mean the rest of your country is.

Mikeleafs
09-01-2012, 06:29 PM
The Raptors are the 12th most valuable team WITHOUT a franchise player.

If the Raps had even 1 franchise player with the current roster not only would they be a playoff team but would easily be the top 10 most valuable NBA team.

Anyone who mentioned the Raps is a damn fool.

Tmath
09-01-2012, 06:36 PM
This thread proves 90% of Americans are jealous of how awesome Canada is.

PleaseBeNice
09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Clippers, Lakers, Bobcats

1) I hate LA so they're both gone
20 Worst team in league history should be deleted.

EricMontross
09-01-2012, 07:29 PM
So, to wrap up: pretty much everyone thinks Charlotte. The Grizzlies, Kings and Raptors were also popular, but there has been stiff resistance to the 3rd option. So, prosportsdaily chooses the Bobcats, Grizzlies and Kings to be contracted!

gatkins11
09-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Contraction is a good idea as long as it's not your favorite team being contracted.