PDA

View Full Version : Shaq & C-Webb

DJHUFF2000
08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
The Orlando Magic drafted Shaq in 92', then C-Webb in 93'(traded to G-State for Penny).I think Shaq would have stayed in Orlando had they kept C-Webb,they would have gone down as 1 of the best c & pf combos' in history,and caused alot trouble in the ec,What yaw think?

ClearSoulForce
08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Even better would have been if Orlando had been able to sign Duncan.

Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, and Tim Duncan is probably a top 3 trio of all time.

Prime McGrady was as good as Kobe, Hill was a mini LeBron but still a star and we all know Timmy.

CB29
08-30-2012, 11:59 PM
The Orlando Magic drafted Shaq in 92', then C-Webb in 93'(traded to G-State for Penny).I think Shaq would have stayed in Orlando had they kept C-Webb,they would have gone down as 1 of the best c & pf combos' in history,and caused alot trouble in the ec,What yaw think?

The penny combination worked pretty well at that time... Penny was a much bigger star than c-webb at that time. Webber got the popularity much later even though he always posted great numbers. The magic made it to the finals anyways so it wasn't necessarily the on court performance that drove Shaq away from ORL.

Hangtime
08-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Sorry, but the Penny/Shaq combo was a much better fit than a Shaq/Webber combo. Shaq needed the touches in the post. Shaq was destined to go to a bigger market.

mrblisterdundee
08-31-2012, 12:44 AM
I think it would have been hard to score on the Magic, but there wouldn't have been enough balls to go around (unless they still had Scott Skiles running the point). I think with a Shaq/Webber combo, the Magic would need a really good passing center, because nobody's slashing into that clogged of a lane. Maybe the Magic should have traded Shaq to the Golden State Warriors for Latrell Sprewell, Anfernee Hardaway and some other players.

PrettyBoyJ
08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
I think Shaq's ego would have gotten in the way.. Eventually he would get upset if C-Webb got more touches then him

shep33
08-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Even better would have been if Orlando had been able to sign Duncan.

Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, and Tim Duncan is probably a top 3 trio of all time.

Prime McGrady was as good as Kobe, Hill was a mini LeBron but still a star and we all know Timmy.

How so? Grant Hill was often injured. Tmac was pretty good for 3 years there, but he would have eventually gotten injured. You can argue that Tmac actually went to a better situation in Houston. I mean over the years he had some great talent in Houston: Yao, Ron Artest still in his prime, Aaron Brooks, Scola, Battier, Carl Landry, Rafer Alston, etc.

McGrady was unreal. Sadly injuries took a way from his greatness. Timmy was smart to stay in San Antonio... Parker, Manu,and Coach Pop. Easy decision in my mind.

peterposma
08-31-2012, 01:49 AM

WOW, for sure!

meadowlarklemon
08-31-2012, 07:45 AM
haha! i forgot about this fact. it's true, though, what a tandem that would have been.

Faneik
08-31-2012, 08:32 AM
it's easy to look at the past, identify what went wrong and find alternatives.

injuries happen, and nobody knows to who they'll happen and when.

like others said, imo, shaq + penny works better than shaq + c-webb.

this is like saying the blazers should of drafted durant instead of oden. everybody knows that now. but at draft night, can you honestly say you would go with durant 1st?

Oden was supposed to be the next Bill Russell, and Durant the next T-Mac.
Oden is unemployed, and Durant fulfilled his potential.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Orlando has shown the complete inability to keep superstars satsified, I don't think a player like Webber would have stayed around honestly.

Chronz
08-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Im pretty sure Shaq didnt want C-Webb and was really vying for Penny. Which would of course mean Shaq is already smarter than MJ when it comes to chasing prospects for his team.... Shaq=Basketball Thinker?

king4day
08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
I have Penny a better player than Webber had he not gotten injured. That was a career altering injury.

Mave1002
08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Woulda coulda shoulda.

They should at least try to build a decent staff for their FO first.

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2012, 09:54 PM
As everybody has been saying, there would have been ego issues. I mean, look at Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning? The Hornets couldn't keep those two together and they would have been (had Johnson not gotten that back injury) the best C/PF combo in the history of the game. But as good as they would have been, they wouldn't have been able to touch Shaq/Webber. That would have been an amazing combonation. Especially a little later in Shaq's career when he got so good at passing out of the double team... they would have been a couple of strong passers in the post.

I really would have liked to see what kind of damage these two could have done together... but Orlando did get a good deal back on the Penny/Webber trade... they got a few drafts picks I think out of that one.

Faneik
09-02-2012, 07:11 AM
As everybody has been saying, there would have been ego issues. I mean, look at Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning? The Hornets couldn't keep those two together and they would have been (had Johnson not gotten that back injury) the best C/PF combo in the history of the game. But as good as they would have been, they wouldn't have been able to touch Shaq/Webber. That would have been an amazing combonation. Especially a little later in Shaq's career when he got so good at passing out of the double team... they would have been a couple of strong passers in the post.

I really would have liked to see what kind of damage these two could have done together... but Orlando did get a good deal back on the Penny/Webber trade... they got a few drafts picks I think out of that one.

Duncan and Robinson. For sure you forgot about these 2.