PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on a Player not Hustling

sexicano31
08-30-2012, 10:39 PM
This has been a topic in the Phillies forum lately thanks to Jimmy Rollins.

Example: Today he hit a popup in front of home plate. It was a ball SOMEONE should have been able to field. There was a cluster**** in front of the plate and Niese dropped the ball and Rollins ended up on first. He was then benched for not hustling out popup. If he had run out the popup, he would have possibly been caught in a run down between 1st and 2nd(note he was eventually thrown out in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd later in the inning.)

A few weeks ago, Rollins did not run out a groundball to the left side of the infield and something happened(cant really remember) and people got mad at him for not hustling. Note, this incident was during what would be considered a meaningless game (and to a lesser extent same with the other incident I mentioned).

So the question is, what is your view on a player not hustling in situations like the ones mentioned above? People keep making the argument that "hes getting paid $13mil a year." Should that matter when the MLB is a huge money making business?

nirvana235
08-30-2012, 10:43 PM
I like players who don't hustle whenever possible, less chance of injury.

GreatBeardOfZeu
08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
I think that players should run things out regardless because they get payed A LOT of money to do so, and you never know what can happen on a play with a bit of hustle

Jeffy25
08-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Drives me nuts.

You only control so much on the field of baseball, hustling is one of the easiest ones to control.

Of course, 162 games, it's hard to continue to hustle all the time.

sexicano31
08-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Agreed. People didnt freak out when Thome didnt hustle on a groundball and they dont talk about when Rollins hustled on an inside the park home run that should have been a flyout

I think that players should run things out regardless because they get payed A LOT of money to do so, and you never know what can happen on a play with a bit of hustle

They dont get paid that much money when comparing how much the MLB makes. Do you give 100% every day all day at your job?

sexicano31
08-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Drives me nuts.

You only control so much on the field of baseball, hustling is one of the easiest ones to control.

Of course, 162 games, it's hard to continue to hustle all the time.

Even in a meaningless game with a guy who has a history with leg injuries?

08-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Cano never hustles. Looks like he is day dreaming about Melky when running to 1st.

Jeffy25
08-30-2012, 10:52 PM

There is no clock in baseball, so nothing in meaningless.

But sometimes, there is really just almost no chance.

Still, you should always hustle. There is a guy on the bench or in the minors that would be thrilled to play in that situation and would hustle if given that chance.

And as Joe DiMaggio said 'there might be a kid at a game for the first time, so I owe it to them to run my hardest on every play'

Yup, even in a meaningless game.

I can understand that you get tired, it's a long season, and the Phillies are out of it. But you should still be busting your *** as much as you humanely can.

sexicano31
08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Cano never hustles. Looks like he is day dreaming about Melky when running to 1st.

Hes so dreamy

Zmaster52
08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Run it out. I don't care who you are, you don't just jog to first base. You run hard and play the game hard. Baseball is an athletic sport, what's the point in playing if you're not playing to the best of your ability?

More-Than-Most
08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
There is no clock in baseball, so nothing in meaningless.

But sometimes, there is really just almost no chance.

Still, you should always hustle. There is a guy on the bench or in the minors that would be thrilled to play in that situation and would hustle if given that chance.

And as Joe DiMaggio said 'there might be a kid at a game for the first time, so I owe it to them to run my hardest on every play'

Yup, even in a meaningless game.

I can understand that you get tired, it's a long season, and the Phillies are out of it. But you should still be busting your *** as much as you humanely can.

:clap:

sexicano31
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Run it out. I don't care who you are, you don't just jog to first base. You run hard and play the game hard. Baseball is an athletic sport, what's the point in playing if you're not playing to the best of your ability?
Again, meaningless game. Teams out of contention, player with a history of leg injuries. Why does it matter?

It also seems to only be Rollins. No one seems to care if Thome, or Howard, or Utley, or Lee doesnt hustle. Just Rollins

Sadds The Gr8
08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
I gain more respect for players who go all out and hustle. That's one of the things I love about Brett Lawrie

08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Cano has too much swag to hustle. Basically dares the Yankees to find someone who can take his spot.

Yankee Clipper
08-30-2012, 10:57 PM

He's so talented but doesn't exert any effort on the base paths. We call this out in almost every game together :laugh2:

Jeffy25
08-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Again, meaningless game. Teams out of contention, player with a history of leg injuries. Why does it matter?

Because this is baseball, the game we are talking about?

In regards to his history of leg injuries, if the game is meaningless, and you want to save Jimmy's legs, then he should be pulled for a backup late in the game. If he is playing, he should be trying/hustling.

It also seems to only be Rollins. No one seems to care if Thome, or Howard, or Utley, or Lee doesnt hustle. Just Rollins

I wouldn't know about that (I don't talk about the Phillies in the Phillies section) but I expect all players to hustle. One of the things I love about the Rays, everyone seems to hustle on that team. They have that Sam Fuld desire.

Zmaster52
08-30-2012, 10:59 PM

Yeah because Rollins is a speedy guy, his priority isn't to hit homeruns, it's to hit doubles and singles. Thome and Howard are ridiculously slow. If the team is out of contention, the pitcher may as well lob the ball in by your logic. The batters can take every pitch or better yet, nobody should show up on the field. Just because you're out of contention doesn't make the game any less. Everybody is at the same level, a total of maybe 13 teams are in contention, so does that mean the other 17 can take it easy?

sexicano31
08-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah because Rollins is a speedy guy, his priority isn't to hit homeruns, it's to hit doubles and singles. Thome and Howard are ridiculously slow. If the team is out of contention, the pitcher may as well lob the ball in by your logic. The batters can take every pitch or better yet, nobody should show up on the field. Just because you're out of contention doesn't make the game any less. Everybody is at the same level, a total of maybe 13 teams are in contention, so does that mean the other 17 can take it easy?

My argument is, why isnt he allowed to take it half speed on plays that are 99% going to be outs?

By your logic, the only players that need to show hustle are fast guys and not any other player. Who cares if Thome and Howard are slow, why shouldnt they be held to the same standard?

rocket
08-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Miguel Cabrera lost us the game for not hustling

Zmaster52
08-30-2012, 11:09 PM
My argument is, why isnt he allowed to take it half speed on plays that are 99% going to be outs?

By your logic, the only players that need to show hustle are fast guys and not any other player. Who cares if Thome and Howard are slow, why shouldnt they be held to the same standard?

Because you never know what the outcome may be. I don't mean sprint to first base but instead of running 50% at least run 70% on a pop up or ground ball. From what I understand, he was just jogging.

And yes they should but, they're not fast, they're not gonna beat out a ground ball no matter how hard they run. Rollins is fast, he could beat one out if there was a miscue. There's a difference for everybody in terms of speed. I'm not saying Howard and Thome shouldn't hustle but, Rollins would be more expected to in a situation like this.

OpenAvalin
08-30-2012, 11:18 PM
I hate when players dont hustle. I dont care if you pop it up in the infield, you run it out. I cant stand when players forget that errors can happen.

Canterbury
08-30-2012, 11:19 PM
If it's out of the box, it's unacceptable since a player spends just a small fraction of game time on offense. They better make very second of it count.

If you're on defense, it's understandable a bit since you're doing A LOT of standing out there while the pitcher and batter does their quirks.

OpenAvalin
08-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Exactly. If i got paid millions of dollars, I would run my heart out no matter what.

OpenAvalin
08-30-2012, 11:24 PM

Really? 99% are going to be outs? If only you remembered about errors.... Did you watch the Met game when Castillo dropped the ball?
When you hustle it sometimes makes the defense rush throws and cause errors

Jeffy25
08-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Miguel Cabrera lost us the game for not hustling

As I was making my last post above, I was watching that. But I wasn't 100% certain if he didn't hustle, or if he just didn't get out of the box quickly, and never watched the replay. But it appeared he took it too slowly, and then looked surprised he made an out.

TrueYankee
08-31-2012, 01:06 AM
It really bothers me. I have to watch Cano play every day, sometimes it could be good and sometimes bad. He makes plays so smoothly and "lazy-like" on the field. His laziness, however, really shows when he bats. He is very slow running out of the box and simply shows no full effort in beating out a groundball.

A classic example of hustling is Mark Teixiera. He ALWAYS hustles. Game I will never forget was against the Mets when Teix was on first base, there were 2 outs in the inning, A-rod hits a pop-up to 2nd baseman Castillo, Castillo drops the ball, Teix scores from first base the WINNING run.

If he did not hustle from first base even though the ball was popped up in the infield, Yanks coulda lost that game.

Pinstripe pride
08-31-2012, 08:14 AM
there is absolutely no excuse to not hustle.

Halladay
08-31-2012, 08:23 AM
What would good job good effort kid have to say?

MetsFanatic19
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't unedrstand when people say that they're risking injury when they do hustle. Thy are professional ballplayers, if they can't sprint 90 feet without pulling a hammy or straining a calf, they shouldn't be out there. I know it occasionaly happens, but that's the risk you take by signing the contract and playing major league baseball. I hate it when they just toss their bat, put their head down, and do the lineman shuffle to first base on a popup or a routine fly ball. I mean, it has happen plenty of times before, so why even take the risk of looking like an idiot and losing an extra base. Hustle only earns respect from your teammates, the fans, the manager and coaches, and even the other team.

Just think of the matter again. They are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars, to PLAY A GAME, living the life every young boy wishes to live. They should give all they got on every play.

Phillysports101
08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
there is absolutely no excuse to not hustle.

TAC91
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
It's pure out laziness or a "hey I'm making millions, so what"? They should at least run with some type of authority and I'm not talking about jogging.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
You're being paid millions of dollars to give it your all. You better be hustling the whole time. It's baseball, so much of the game is standing around anyway. It's unbelievably frustrating when the other team gifts you an error or misses a pop up and you didnt hustle and were out because of it.

MetsFanatic19
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
If it weren't for Texiera's hustle on Castillo's dropped pop up in 2009, the game would've still been tied, and the Mets still could've won that game. Instead, he did sprint, and he got rewarded for his hustle. Player's should've took note.

Dark Donnie
08-31-2012, 09:30 AM

I don't see the logic in your statement. He shouldn't hustle because the game is meaningless? :eyebrow:

Rollins' act is growing tiresome. Definite sign of disrespect to Manuel at this point.

Also, when does Utley not hustle....even if he did on a pop up, it's not as blatant as Rollins.

Young2Kinsler
08-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Just seeing a player hustle down the line, no matter how fast or slow they are, puts extra pressure on the fielder. Just that hint of doubt in the fielders head can be the difference.

I understand there are situations where hustling might not be the best, but it is the minority for sure.

Dark Donnie
08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
edit...

Halladay
08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Baseball players make enough money as it is, now they gotta saturate the market with impure, non-blue, Heisenberg ripoff garbage they made in some crummy hotel room? these guys are greedy.

1908_Cubs
08-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Depends, really. Score in the game...player's injury history....ball he hit.....standings.....

I like to see player's hustle, but I get it if a pitcher doesn't run out a ground ball, or someone who has leg injury past don't run out silly pop flies. I hate when I see a player trotting the bases prior to a home run being hit and then only being held to a single if it hits the wall, however.

It comes down to what I "Like" to see with what's "best" sometimes. I always LIKE seeing a player hustle, but most of the time....it doesn't mean anything. Does it really matter 99% of the time if a guy trucks it down the baseline? Not really. These are MLB players, who are MLB level good at everything they do. Do you really think an MLB SS gets that worried if someone hauls down the line? Not really.

infernoscurse
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
i hate players that dont , one of he reasons i hate cano

ManningToTyree
08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
It is inexcusable fora pro ball player.

GreatBeardOfZeu
08-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Do you give 100% every day all day at your job? touche

MotownWebGuy
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
This has been a topic in the Phillies forum lately thanks to Jimmy Rollins.

Your Opinion on a Player not Hustling

Blame the manager.
We have similar issues with Mr. Players Manager Jim Leyland. The older Jim got and the richer Jim got, has changed the Tigers skipper over the years.

If your health won't allow you to yell and discipline players -- if your bank account says you no longer need to yell, well it's time to hang up the baseball cleats and go sit down in your family room rocker from mid-February until the World Series ends.

Pinstripe pride
08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
i would bench players for that if i was a mananger honestly.

RaiderKid318
08-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Agreed. People didnt freak out when Thome didnt hustle on a groundball and they dont talk about when Rollins hustled on an inside the park home run that should have been a flyout

They dont get paid that much money when comparing how much the MLB makes. Do you give 100% every day all day at your job?

Lol if i made 13 mill a year I would do my job and your job at 110% bud. Moot point though none of us make 1/10th of that and the majority of people on here don't get to play a ****ing GAME for their job. If he can't hustle to 1st then he needs a few days off every week or to hang up the cleats. Being lazy in professional sports is absouletly disgusting.

rkelly7
08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
You don't want jerks on your team that don't care about what they do for a living.

There are many players that dion't have a great set of skills and still become MLB regular due to work eithic and hustle (David Eckstein comes to mind)

If you don't hustle, you don't care. You don't want those people playing for your team.

theslick1
08-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Always hustle because even a "sure out" isn't. Fielders throw balls in the dirt, over the 1B head, etc.

By my calculations, Rollins makes about $68,000 for EVERY GAME. If he bats 4 times in a game, that's about $17,000 per AT BAT. I would think he could bust his butt running to 1B for that amount of jack.

I don't see a difference if it's a "meaningless" game either. It's not meaningless to the fans who paid a lot of money and spent a lot of time to come to the game. If the message you're sending to your fans is "we don't care," pretty soon the fans will feel the same way.

ShockerArt
08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I have a bigger problem with the ground ball situation. A lot of things can happen on a grounder to the left side, especially when the batter is a fast runner. If a guy doesn't end up on 2nd base on a dropped infield pop-up, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape.

adab
08-31-2012, 01:50 PM
I can`t tell you how frustrating it is to see a player not run out a groundball. Unless you tore a muscle or a tendon running out of the batter`s box, it`s enexcusable when any MLB player doesn`t run out every single groundball. The fielder is human and is prone to mistakes and errors. The ball can take a funny bounce. There are just too many variables at play and not running out a groundball is about the worst thing a player can do in that situation.
If I was a manager, I`d set only four rules.
1. Show up on time for scheduled meetings and games.
2. No music in the locker room. (Bobby Cox had that rule. Said it causes more problems than any other issues.)
3. Never give less than your absolute best effort.
4. Remember and adhere to rules 1-3.

Nick O
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM
This is soo O.T but i dont know where to ask it :p . its not on MLB.com but does anyone have/know where i can get the video of that houston player flying over the bag at first? laughed my *** off

nirvana235
08-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Players should conserve energy whenever possible, and basically every player in the MLB doesn't give it their all on every play. The exceptions like Brett Lawrie never play more than 140 games in a season.

100% for 162 games = trip to the hospital

More-Than-Most
08-31-2012, 08:11 PM
I am starting to agree with sexi.... I have watched games and have focused on it a ton today and just watch how many guys run half speed or Jog when they pop it up... It happens a ton and on the phillies team as well... I said before Rollins needs to be dealt with and still believe it but if your going to enforce it on him it should be on everyone... Just watch games and watch how many players run half speed when they hit a pop up or a ground ball... Hell what about the guys that trot around the bases when they think they hit a home run and it ends up going off the top of the wall.... If you want guys to hustle and I do they need to run everything out all the time and a large majority of players on several teams today Jog after a pop up but its not focused on because the defenders make the plays. As great as utley is I am sure we will find him do it from time to time.

R. Johnson#3
08-31-2012, 08:13 PM

This is the problem with baseball and baseball fans today. I hope the breeze doesn't blow too hard during games. It may knock over a player and make him shatter his hip. These are professional athletes. They are not made of glass. The second that ball comes off the bat they should be hustling down the 1st baseline.

2-ONE-5
08-31-2012, 08:21 PM
80% of players dont run out a popout. he was frustrated, which was obvious, and it got to him. besides he was so safe who give a ****? it would be different if he was thrown out due to lack of hustle

metswon69
08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
80% of players dont run out a popout. he was frustrated, which was obvious, and it got to him. besides he was so safe who give a ****? it would be different if he was thrown out due to lack of hustle

Its the complacent mindset that's a problem and Rollins is supposed to be one of the leaders on that team.

It's just not a good example to show the younger players and he has benched for that type of stuff before.

The truth is and i know it's cliche like the OP said but when you make millions of dollars a year to play a kid's game you should hustle every at bat injury history or not, meaningless game or not.

iam brett favre
08-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Anyone that doesn't care if their players hustle most likely have never played on a team, and understand that there is more that goes into it than stats.
That being said, Cano is still my favorite player. :D

nirvana235
08-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Its the complacent mindset that's a problem and Rollins is supposed to be one of the leaders on that team.

It's just not a good example to show the younger players and he has benched for that type of stuff before.

The truth is and i know it's cliche like the OP said but when you make millions of dollars a year to play a kid's game you should hustle every at bat injury history or not, meaningless game or not.

99% of the players in MLB do not run out every at bat.

That's just how it goes.

Oldmantrash
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Baseball purest with there hustle on every play.

Sometimes it's just not worth it.

If I have a great player, who sometimes doesn't go 100%, thst is fine with me.
Rather have him thena scrub who goes all out, all the time.
Now if you have both, then you probably have an injury prone superstar.

metswon69
08-31-2012, 09:43 PM
99% of the players in MLB do not run out every at bat.

That's just how it goes.

Doesn't mean we have to agree with it...

Look as a Met fan i dislike Derek Jeter but at least he plays the game right and doesn't take for granted a "sure" out.

More players should play with that type of mindset.

jawjr13
08-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Players should conserve energy whenever possible, and basically every player in the MLB doesn't give it their all on every play. The exceptions like Brett Lawrie never play more than 140 games in a season.

100% for 162 games = trip to the hospital

If running 90' about every hour 3-4 times a day, even over the span of 162 games will send you to the hospital then you have no business being a pro athlete. Injuries will happen but a pro athlete should be able to hustle without injury being an absolute fact.

long ball
09-01-2012, 08:09 AM
I think it depends on the situation and the player.

A guy like Carlos gomez who played at 100% speed 100% of the time has had to ease off a bit after breaking his collar bone on a tumbling catch and pulling his hamstring running out a routine fly ball.

OpenAvalin
09-01-2012, 04:48 PM
This is the problem with baseball and baseball fans today. I hope the breeze doesn't blow too hard during games. It may knock over a player and make him shatter his hip. These are professional athletes. They are not made of glass. The second that ball comes off the bat they should be hustling down the 1st baseline.

Exactly

Lord_of_Dogtown
09-03-2012, 10:40 PM

Umm.. Yes? Pretty sure if you dont you get fired :facepalm:

Lord_of_Dogtown
09-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Stupid thread. Should be deleted

Jeffy25
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Do you get applauded or booed and perform your job in front of millions of people?

Lord_of_Dogtown
09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Do you get applauded or booed and perform your job in front of millions of people?

He's comparing sitting in an office to playing a professional sport and being known by millions of people :facepalm: