PDA

View Full Version : Six NBA Players Primed To Breakout

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Six NBA Players Primed To Breakout

By Stephen Brotherston
NBA Writer

Updated: August 28, 2012, 11:31 am ET

Every year there are a handful of NBA players who have given us reason to believe that this season will be the one when they breakout. A potent mixture of development last season combined with opportunity can prime a player to make the leap in statistics and possibly leadership on the court.

The top six breakout candidates to watch in 2012-13 are:

6. Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte Bobcats

Bismack Biyombo arrived in the NBA as a freak athlete with limited basketball experience and he only played 12.7 minutes a game over his first two months in the NBA, but as his minutes ramped up his game started to blossom. In January, Biyombo averaged 3.2 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks, but in the second-half of the season, he got to play starterís minutes and posted 6.6 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.0 blocks.

The Bobcats moved out big men Boris Diaw, Eduardo Najera and D.J. White and brought in Brendon Haywood, so Biyombo will be getting starterís minutes all season and more of those minutes should come at the power forward position. Look for Biyomboís defensive statistics, especially help-side blocks, to jump and for him to make another step in his offensive game. A 10 point, 10 rebound, and 2.5 block season should be in the works for the Bobcats sophomore as he starts to get noticed as one of the leagueís better defensive big men.

5. Tristan Thompson, Cleveland Cavaliers

Rookie power forward Tristan Thompson was brought along quietly by the Cavaliers, playing behind the two-time All-Star Antawn Jamison and in the shadow of first overall pick Kyrie Irving, but over the season, Thompson proved his game was getting better fast. Typical rookie season numbers of 8.2 points and 6.5 rebounds and a block in 23.5 minutes obscured his steadily increasing minutes and production.

The Cavaliers let Jamison leave in free agency to free up minutes for the fourth overall pick in 2011 draft and Thompson will get his chance to prove the Cavaliersí brass were right when they selected him ahead of draft prospects Jonas Valanciunas and Biyombo. If he can keep developing at his rookie pace, Thompsonís sophomore season will be a breakout year.

4. Kenneth Faried, Denver Nuggets

Itís tempting to call Kenneth Fariedís rookie season a breakout year as the high energy forwardís 10.2 points and 7.7 rebounds were totally unexpected, but as Faried went from being nailed to the bench to starter, his production just kept accelerating month-to-month.

Al Harrington and Chris Anderson are gone and Fariedís playing time will benefit. In April, Faried was averaging 26.8 minutes, 11.6 points, 9.1 rebounds, 1.1 blocks and 0.9 steals. Playing starterís minutes for an entire season, Faried will leave his rookie numbers in the dust.

3. Goran Dragic, Phoenix Suns

This isnít the first time Goran Dragic was expected to breakout, but last season was his first opportunity to start for an extended period and show what he could do. Dragic started the final 26 games in Houston and put up All-Star worthy numbers on a .500 team. Naturally, Houston let him walk in free agency.

With the two-time MVP and multiple-time All-Star Steve Nash leaving Phoenix for the LA Lakers, Dragic is the Sunís undisputed starting point guard in October and heíll have former Rocketís teammate Luis Scola to help ease the transition and pile up the assists. After four years in the NBA, Dragic is ready to breakout with the Suns.

2. Andrea Bargnani, Toronto Raptors

When All-Star Chris Bosh left Toronto in 2010, Andrea Bargnani was expected to carry the offensive load and prove he was deserving of the number one pick in the 2006 draft. While he averaged 21.4 points per game, it was not a breakout season as the Raptors lost 60 games and Bargnani missed significant time with a calf injury. Last season Bargnani showed why statistics are not necessarily the only indication of a breakout year. For 13 games, Bargnani averaged 23.5 points per game before he injured his calf the second time, but it was his vastly improved defense under the guidance of new head coach Dwane Casey that indicated a breakout season might be in progress. Bargnani missed half of last season to injury and the pending breakout died with the missed games.

Bargnani is expected to start next season like he started last season and the hope is he avoids the fluky injuries that has cost him so many games recently. A healthy Bargnani will finally have the breakout season expected from a number one overall draft pick.

1. Andrew Bynum, Philadelphia 76ers

An offensive-minded player in the role of third option can easily become frustrated and never seem to quite live up to his potential. After seven seasons with the Lakers, Andrew Bynum finally started to see the ball on a consistent basis last year and it was evident in his numbers. Bynum averaged 18.6 points on 13.3 shots to better his previous season high in 2009-10 of 15 points on 10.6 shots. Shots per game rose from 11.7 in January to 16.2 in April and Bynum showed he could deliver 20-plus points per game, if he was featured in the offense.

With the trade to Philadelphia this summer, Bynum has become the number one offensive option on a team that has been looking for scoring. As the undisputed best offensive center in the Eastern Conference, Bynum will get all the shots he can handle next season and the breakout in his offensive production should be impressive.

These six breakout candidates are not alone. Many teams have players who could breakout, but will be competing for minutes with established players or have yet to show they can take another step. Keep a close watch on Omer Asik (Houston Rockets), Ricky Rubio (Minnesota Timberwolves), Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder), Nicolas Batum (Portland Trail Blazers), Derrick Favors (Utah Jazz), and Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs) as well.

greg_ory_2005
08-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Bargs! Hopefully he does stay healthy the entire year. And at least attempts to grab a rebound once in a while.

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 10:49 PM
I hope we could see Bismack Biyombo play for another team.

NOther Ibaka in the making

lakers4sho
08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Nic batum?

jmoney85
08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
wait?... how is andrew bynum the "undisputed best offensive center in the eastern conference"?

asandhu23
08-28-2012, 10:55 PM
wait?... how is andrew bynum the "undisputed best offensive center in the eastern conference"?

Bogut's not there.... Dwight's not there....

Ezio
08-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Brook Lopez

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 10:59 PM

His offensive artillery is arguably better than:

Noah
Horford
Chandler
Monroe
Hibbert
Lopez
Nene

dwilly4rilly
08-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Derrick Favors disagrees with this list. If he gets the pt, which I think he will, he will be better than all but maybe one or two of these players. I guess we'll see.

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Bynum is not better than Lopez offensivly

JLynn943
08-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I know that I'm biased, but I'm expecting a monster year out of Cousins. He finished last season very strong and got to play against the Olympic team this summer (and got a lot of praise). I'm hoping he can keep everything together and dominate.

Ezio
08-28-2012, 11:11 PM
No John Wall or Irving :pity:

SeoulBeatz
08-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Because he is....

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Arguably. But i kinda agree with you.

If they can be healthy for 2 consecutive seasons, well find out.

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Derrick Favors disagrees with this list. If he gets the pt, which I think he will, he will be better than all but maybe one or two of these players. I guess we'll see.

Stretch 5

Pakman
08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Bynum is not better than Lopez offensivlyyes he is. Stop being a homer.

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Because he is....

Wow, just watching that Andrew Bynum clip makes me realize that the city really missed having a legit center. The crowd was just crazy.

I sincerely wish that he works out for you guys. And thanks to your FO for helping us to finally land DH12.

If he starts to work hard and stay healthy, 76ers could be serious contenders in the East. Good luck!

dwilly4rilly
08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Stretch 5

He is as physically gifted as anybody on there. 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan and reporting a 39 inch vert from summer workouts. It's all about the experience/PT. I think he will surprise a lot of people this year. Luckily we will find out soon enough. I like Faried too. He's an ox.

Chronz
08-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I can buy Bargnani

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
He is as physically gifted as anybody on there. 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan and reporting a 39 inch vert from summer workouts. It's all about the experience/PT. I think he will surprise a lot of people this year. Luckily we will find out soon enough. I like Faried too. He's an ox.

Noah
Varejao
Faried

Best hustlers in the world.

nyballa1991
08-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Haha yes he is.

jon32
08-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Honorable Mention : Brian Scalabrine as Bulls Asst. Coach : )

SeoulBeatz
08-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Wow, just watching that Andrew Bynum clip makes me realize that the city really missed having a legit center. The crowd was just crazy.

I sincerely wish that he works out for you guys. And thanks to your FO for helping us to finally land DH12.

If he starts to work hard and stay healthy, 76ers could be serious contenders in the East. Good luck!

Much appreciated man. Yeah the city already loves him. Barring any serious health concerns, imreally see this working out for us

IndyHeatjman
08-29-2012, 12:08 AM
#1 Paul George
#2 Andrew Bynum
#3 Kyrie Irving
#4 Kenneth Faried
#5 Goran Dragic
#6 Serge Ibaka

Mave1002
08-29-2012, 12:18 AM
#1 Paul George
#2 Andrew Bynum
#3 Kyrie Irving
#4 Kenneth Faried
#5 Goran Dragic
#6 Serge Ibaka

Definitely another guy to watch out for

Gators123
08-29-2012, 12:19 AM
#1 Paul George
#2 Andrew Bynum
#3 Kyrie Irving
#4 Kenneth Faried
#5 Goran Dragic
#6 Serge Ibaka

I heard he grew to 7'3.

topdog
08-29-2012, 12:24 AM

I agree. I immediately thought of him as I believe he began breaking out during the playoffs when they finally made room for him to play (with Millsap at SF). The only thing holding him back is the starting frontcourt of Jefferson and Millsap.

Ill21
08-29-2012, 12:26 AM

Duh, your forgetting the superstar Brook Lopez

Cal827
08-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I think Paul George needs Danny Granger to go in order to jump, or grow to 7-4, you know whatever comes first. The latter will probably be the result.

On a side note, surprised Evan Turner isn't on this list. Didn't so many people say that Iggy got in his way when it comes to development?

Also, Derozan could also jump this year (make or break lol)

Greedy22
08-29-2012, 12:48 AM
No John Wall or Irving :pity:

Irving is already a star ;)

0nekhmer
08-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Bargnani is being recognized? well ****, i'll eat my hat.

THE MTL
08-29-2012, 12:53 AM
I feel that Bargs and Bynum already broke out though. What more do they expect Bargs & Bynum to average 25ppg?

I think they deeply missed Ricky Rubio. Last yr, 12ppg 8apg 4.5rpg 2stlpg......He can put up classic Jason Kidd numbers 11ppg 10apg 5rpg 2stlpg

spreadeagle
08-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Bargnani is being recognized? well ****, i'll eat my hat.

The guy who wrote it is a Raps fan, use to post on forums like this one before he got the paying gig so take Bargs with a grain of salt lol. A healthy Bargs with give you 22 and 6, I think that is a given. Brandon Knight and Monroe may break out, but I hope not since will be battling them next few yrs for playoff spots

MrfadeawayJB
08-29-2012, 01:22 AM
I think now that John Wall has some vets around him he will have a great season

dwilly4rilly
08-29-2012, 01:45 AM
I agree. I immediately thought of him as I believe he began breaking out during the playoffs when they finally made room for him to play (with Millsap at SF). The only thing holding him back is the starting frontcourt of Jefferson and Millsap.

Exactly. Although the Jazz got a big-brother-like ***** whooping, Favors was the best player on the court for them the last few games. Not like he was playing against a bunch of nobodies either.

ClearSoulForce
08-29-2012, 02:05 AM

His stats and play seem to disagree with you.

Oh. How does it feel to have a player in your name that doesn't even play for your team anymore?

Faneik
08-29-2012, 04:41 AM
I heard he grew to 7'3.

:yawn:

it was funny last year

Two-3
08-29-2012, 04:49 AM
No Monte Ellis? SMH

IndyHeatjman
08-29-2012, 04:51 AM
I heard he grew to 7'3.

^WHAT? No...Anyways check out his 360 in Shanghai...

Gram
08-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Greg Monroe deserves to be here.

Swashcuff
08-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Demarcus Cousins was the first name that came to mind. Dude has legit 25 and 14 peak potential IMO.

mdm692
08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Honorable mention: Michael Beasley(will be more efficient and probably get over the 20 ppg mark)

Swashcuff
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Honorable mention: Michael Beasley(will be more efficient and probably get over the 20 ppg mark)

Why do you figure that he'd be more efficient?

Hawkeye15
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM

He really needs more minutes, but with the Jazz most likely trying to maintain a playoff berth all year, Jefferson and Milisap will get the lion's share of minutes up front probably. Jefferson is gone after this year, so next season is the one I would go all in on Favors blowing up.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Because he is a Phoenix fan....

Beasley's scoring potential gets any fan of a team he is going to excited. And then they watch him play 4 times a week, and realize his limited right hand and basketball IQ will forever stunt his game.

goose14741
08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Hahaha

Jesse2272
08-29-2012, 10:59 AM

He is the better all around center and will dominate the eastern conference

his offensive game was underutilized in LA

HouRealCoach
08-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Evan Turner, John Wall, & Demarcus Cousins

Hawkeye15
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
He is the better all around center and will dominate the eastern conference

his offensive game was underutilized in LA

I don't think his offensive game was underutilized honestly. Last year, when he was given double the post opportunities Gasol was, his post efficiency actually dropped off. Bynum was best served as a board crashing finisher who protected the paint. He seems to get in a rush in isolations, and isn't very strong at protecting the ball or passing out of double teams yet. This will be a big year from his further development, and I am not confident he will be any better this season than last. That being said, he will still clearly be the best center in the east.

netsgiantsyanks
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Arguably. But i kinda agree with you.

If they can be healthy for 2 consecutive seasons, well find out.

:confused: brook lopez didn't miss 1 game until his injury last year.

Jesse2272
08-29-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't think his offensive game was underutilized honestly. Last year, when he was given double the post opportunities Gasol was, his post efficiency actually dropped off. Bynum was best served as a board crashing finisher who protected the paint. He seems to get in a rush in isolations, and isn't very strong at protecting the ball or passing out of double teams yet. This will be a big year from his further development, and I am not confident he will be any better this season than last. That being said, he will still clearly be the best center in the east.

If he can recognize the double quicker and improve his passing

With Richardson, wright, young hitting 3's

Turner , holiday thad slashing

theyll be fun to watch

dhopisthename
08-29-2012, 11:19 AM
He really needs more minutes, but with the Jazz most likely trying to maintain a playoff berth all year, Jefferson and Milisap will get the lion's share of minutes up front probably. Jefferson is gone after this year, so next season is the one I would go all in on Favors blowing up.

early reports are him starting if he can come in and continue what he was doing last year. question is if millsap plays the 3 or moves to a sixth man roll

FNM BOY
08-29-2012, 11:34 AM
:cool: EVAN TURNER....KEEP SLEEPING YALL!!!!!

Hawkeye15
08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
early reports are him starting if he can come in and continue what he was doing last year. question is if millsap plays the 3 or moves to a sixth man roll

Milisap will get killed guarding 3's, and why would you pull him away from the rim that much? I mean, you get 96 mpg up front, I just worry they won't utilize him enough, when Favors is clearly their future star big man.

Jays Claw
08-29-2012, 11:44 AM

I know his comment may sound a bit biased considering he's a Nets fan, but Lopez believe it or not is actually on par with Bynum (though Bynum has the slight edge).

Per 36 minutes / career:

Bynum - 19.8 PER (career), 16.3 pts, 10.9 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 116 ORtg (career) & 102 DRtg (career)

Lopez - 19.2 PER (career), 18.4 pts, 7.9 rpg, 1.7 bpg, 110 ORtg (career) & 109 DRtg (career)

Oldmantrash
08-29-2012, 12:14 PM
I can't wait until Lopez destroys Bynum Head to Head.

koreancabbage
08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

I will enjoy Bargnani Bynum and Brook Lopez battle for best center in the Atlantic. Though Bargs is now a PF. It'll be Bynum and Lopez right now. gonna be some good games in the Atlantic

THE MTL
08-29-2012, 01:27 PM

I will enjoy Bargnani Bynum and Brook Lopez battle for best center in the Atlantic. Though Bargs is now a PF. It'll be Bynum and Lopez right now. gonna be some good games in the Atlantic

While tyson chandler doesnt have the offensive power of these 2 guys, defensively he is elite and can lock up both of them. Dnt forget to include him in this discussion

mdm692
08-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Phoenix spaces the floor better than his previous 2 teams and with players like Scola and Dragic people will overlook him.

Jesse2272
08-29-2012, 01:32 PM
-delete-

Wrong thread my bad

heyman321
08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
While tyson chandler doesnt have the offensive power of these 2 guys, defensively he is elite and can lock up both of them. Dnt forget to include him in this discussion

Chandler has no offense, and he is as good as he's ever going to be. Bynum will undoubtedly rack up stats because is now the main focus of hte team.

koreancabbage
08-29-2012, 01:37 PM

sure. he's a given.

2-ONE-5
08-29-2012, 01:43 PM

lol dude stop

mdm692
08-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Why is this even a discussion Bynum is the best offensive C in the league end of discussion.

JasonJohnHorn
08-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Barngagme? Seriously? SMH. The only reason this guy scores as much as he does is because they run through many plays for him, and they do that because there are no legit first option on the Raptors. Plus we wasted a first round draft pick on another European big man that couldn't even get minutes during the olympics! Coangelo needs to get fired... he doesn't know how to scout European big men and obviously thinks he does... smh...

Jesse2272
08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Chandler has no offense, and he is as good as he's ever going to be. Bynum will undoubtedly rack up stats because is now the main focus of hte team.

Hs a great niche player in the right situation, DPOY, cleans up, mean on the PnR