PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst team names in the NBA?

pinhead
08-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Some of the names of American sports teams crack me up, some sound very cool and some sound just naff.

My favourite 3:

1-LA Lakers
2-Portland Trail Blazers
3-Oklahoma City Thunder

No disrespect meant but who came up with the Denver Nuggets and the Charlotte Bobcats?

ClearSoulForce
08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Where are there lakes in LA?

douglas
08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Naff?

pinhead
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Where are there lakes in LA?

The Lakers are number one for me through respect and admiration. even non NBA fans know who they are. If they weren't, the Golden State Warriors would be in the top 3

As for lakes in LA, I have no idea.

heyman321
08-28-2012, 09:13 PM
There are tons of lakes in Minnesota which is where the franchise originally was. Shouldn't you be rooting for Man United or something? lol. Good to know at least some English people watch basketball.

mikekhelxD
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey hey hey! We have lakes in Los Angeles, they're just mostly man made lakes in the inner city. We have Echo park, McArthur, Lake Hollywood.. :laugh2:. As for real lakes, we do have some.. just outside of LA.

StarvingKnick22
08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
why you put lakers at best i dont know, because it was made for when they were in Minnesota, the state of 18,000 lake (i think) so keeping the name was a :badidea:. anyways, if the nets were the New York Nets they would be number 1 on my list, but mine is for best
1.Celtics because without the 4 leaf clover luck, who knows what would have happend to them.
2. New York Knicks cause it refers to the word Knickerbocker used by the Dutch. It means "new Yorker, or one who lives in New York" so every person in NY is own whether they like it or not.
3.Seattle SuperSoncs. its just soooo catchy...

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
best names Nets
worst names Knicks, Sixers, Mavericks, Magic, Lakers, TImberwolves

bucketss
08-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Naff?

you don't know? stop speaking bullocks INIT

StarvingKnick22
08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Worst:
1. Orlando "Mickey Mouse House" Magic
2. Brooklyn Nets- why not NY Nets?
3.Oklahoma City Thunder- Really?

pinhead
08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
There are tons of lakes in Minnesota which is where the franchise originally was. Shouldn't you be rooting for Man United or something? lol. Good to know at least some English people watch basketball.

I never knew that about the lakes. I root for nearly every team that plays man utd. I also think that every Basketball match was sold out in the Olympics so plenty of English people like Basketball;we are just **** at it.

Sixerlover
08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Bobcats name is easy to figure out. Who was the original owner of the team?

Ty Fast
08-28-2012, 09:23 PM
the wizards is probably the worst in all sports. how dumb.

JNoel
08-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm pretty sure someone made a thread about this topic a month ago...

pinhead
08-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Bobcats name is easy to figure out. Who was the original owner of the team?

To be honest I don't know. Surely nobody has a surname called bobcat?

Jint.
08-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Nuggets.. I like it

JeffG20
08-28-2012, 09:31 PM
bobcats original owner was bob johnson

Gagan136
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Washington Wizards! Just terrible.

pinhead
08-28-2012, 09:37 PM
I have also never understood moving the Franchise to another State/City either, but this seems to be a common thing throughout the American Sports. Do the locals change who they support?

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
The Lakers are number one for me through respect and admiration. even non NBA fans know who they are. If they weren't, the Golden State Warriors would be in the top 3

As for lakes in LA, I have no idea.

The Los Angeles Lakers are actually named after lakes in Minnesota. Los Angeles has a notable shortage of lakes compared to other cities, it’s in a desert, after all.

When the team was formed in 1948, it was in Minneapolis, in the “land of a thousand lakes.” When the team got relocated to Los Angeles in 1960, the new owners didn’t bother changing its name.

As a result, generations of basketball fans have labored under the misimpression that Los Angeles has lakes.

No wonder school kids have trouble with geography.

Trueblue2
08-28-2012, 09:44 PM
why you put lakers at best i dont know, because it was made for when they were in Minnesota, the state of 18,000 lake (i think) so keeping the name was a :badidea:. anyways, if the nets were the New York Nets they would be number 1 on my list, but mine is for best
1.Celtics because without the 4 leaf clover luck, who knows what would have happend to them.
2. New York Knicks cause it refers to the word Knickerbocker used by the Dutch. It means "new Yorker, or one who lives in New York" so every person in NY is own whether they like it or not.

Celtics are named after Celtic fc in Ireland because of bostons large Irish population... Just a random fact.

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Anyhow, with regards to this thread. Aside from my team, I like the names Bulls, Kings, Warriors and Pistons.

Ive never liked Clippers (evidently), Magic (only in fairytales), Nets (always being replaced)

blastmasta26
08-28-2012, 09:57 PM

Even if the term became synonymous with New Yorkers, "Knickerbocker" originally came from the name of the pants that the Dutch settlers wore. So that's probably one of the worst names lol.

Some of my favorite team names are Rockets and Pistons, good regional based names.

diu9leilomo
heat and thunder has the best names and im a raptors fan, those names sound powerful already despite they already powerful teams. i also like the warriors.

nuggets, sory but it sounds really gay
clippers, wth??
raptors, wolves, bobcats, im not a fan of animals names

Mave1002
Nuggets.. I like it

http://savingdinner.com/wp-content/uploads//ChickenNugget.jpg

j-bay
08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
the wizards is probably the worst in all sports. how dumb.

well blame the people who were shooting guns in DC in the late 90s. If if wasn't for those people doing that, we would still have one of the best names in the NBA

Frozenred
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
LA Clippers, Charlotte Bobcats, Denver Nuggets, Washington Wizards...not that cool.

j-bay
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Washington Wizards! Just terrible.

read my comment above

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Wizards have a cool name stop hating

blastmasta26
08-28-2012, 10:22 PM
well blame the people who were shooting guns in DC in the late 90s. If if wasn't for those people doing that, we would still have one of the best names in the NBA
Stupid reason to change the name. I hope some evil Wizard appears in DC and terrorizes the population, forcing them to change the name again.

MooseWithFleas
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Best Names: Trailblazers, Rockets, Suns

jon32
08-28-2012, 10:26 PM
The Toronto RAPTORS, named after the smash movie hit ..........JURASSIC PARK...............orrrrr barney the dinosaur......who knows...still wicked !!

yaswaggin
08-28-2012, 10:33 PM
When Chris bosh played for the raptors they had the best name

Jesse2272
08-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Knickerbockers WTF lets name a team after boys bagy knee trousers

Jint.
08-28-2012, 10:37 PM
When Chris bosh played for the raptors they had the best name

like a Bosh

Jesse2272
08-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Wizards have a cool name stop hating

Bullets were better
:guns:

San Fran Giant
08-28-2012, 11:07 PM
It's obviously the "Golden State Warriors"!!!! Come on now no other team has a harder name than that.

LakersMaster24
08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Thunder for me is the stupidest name by far. Too cheesy.

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Bullets were better
:guns:

Save that icon for Motor city

ThunderousDemon
08-28-2012, 11:41 PM
best names Nets

Somebody ban this ****ing troll already.

AntiG
08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
as always whenever this topic comes up... Lakers are the worst name in the NBA.

A Laker is a person from Minnesota: the "Land of a Thousand Lakes."

it literally means Los Angeles Minnesotans.

Think about that for a second.

Its like moving the Yankees to London and continuing to call them the Yankees. Or the Montreal Canadians moving to a US city and continuing to stay the same. Or the Dallas Texans moving to Kansas City and not renaming themselves to the Chiefs. As stupid as it gets.

AntiG
08-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Knickerbockers WTF lets name a team after boys bagy knee trousers
It actually stands for the early Dutch settlers that founded the city. The trousers were nicknamed after the Dutch people who wore them.

Knickerbocker, also spelled Knikkerbakker, Knickerbakker, Knickerbacker, is a surname that dates back to the early settlers of New Netherland that was popularized by Washington Irving in 1809 when he published his satirical A History of New York under the pseudonym "Diedrich Knickerbocker". It was also a term for Manhattan's aristocracy "in the early days"[1] and eventually became a general term when referring to any New Yorker, although both are generally out of use in today's vernacular.

AntiG
08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Stupid reason to change the name. I hope some evil Wizard appears in DC and terrorizes the population, forcing them to change the name again.

Yup, all the while keeping the racist as hell name for the football team. :facepalm:

RipCity32
08-29-2012, 12:21 AM

Sad but true,Pistons dont play in Detroit though but the city itself outside of downtown has become a pretty scary place.

WAYNEBO
08-29-2012, 01:18 AM
For the dumb poster bagging on the Clippers, the name has nothing to do with LA. The team moved from San Diego, a coastal city, hence the reference to a ship. Before that, they were the Buffalo Braves, another awesome team name.

Google is your friend.

WAYNEBO
08-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Top 5:

Seattle Supersonics
Buffalo Braves
LA Lakers
Washington Bullets
Detroit Pistons

Worst 5:

Memphis Grizzlies
Minny Timberwolves
OKC Thunder
Toronto Raptors
Charlotte Bobcats

Vinny642
08-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Good names... i dont f'ing know

Bad names, Lakers.... of off solely a name basis, not recognition, Bobcats... Magic ehhh, Jazz(in Utah)

ClearSoulForce
08-29-2012, 02:07 AM
best names Nets

We're talking about NBA teams.

ciaban
08-29-2012, 02:31 AM
i think lakers and jazz are the most miss-representative team names, I like the Pistons and they have a horse as a mascot, which is pretty cute, i hate the Celtics because they mispronounce that it, i understand paying homage to your cities/area's heritage, liek the Minnesota Vikings, actually, the state of Minnasotta does a great job naming teams, Vikings because of the people Twins Minneapolis and ST. Paul are the twin cities, North Stars, Lakers, hell even the Golden Gophers.

But in general, the best team names say something about the area in which they're in without being to obvious, (Washington Capitols, Oakland Oaks Vancoover Canucks Colorado Rockies, Toronto Maple Leafs) good examples are the NY Yankees, Nicks, Seattle Piolets/Super Sonics LA Angels, SF Seals, Brooklyn Dodgers, New Orleans Jazz, San Diego Padres, Houston Rockets, San Jose Sharks, SF 49ers, Oakland Raiders. etc

I don't know how i feel about the Montreal Canadians, because while that is really obvious, their French name is the Habitants which means the inhabitants, which i think is kind of a cool way of saying it.

Manimal
08-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Spurs
Clippers
Lakers
Timberwolves
Magic
Wizards

And the Celtic football club is in Scotland. So it really doesn't make any sense for a pre-dominantly Irish community in Boston to name themselves after a Scottish club.

UKBronco58
08-29-2012, 05:43 AM
The 'celts' were a group of people much like the Romans and the Vikings who mostly settled in the British Isles (some in Central Europe), particularly in Ireland.
Then due to the growth of the Roman Empire, the 'celts' were restricted to living in Ireland and parts of Great Britian.

Obviously the influence of the 'celts' spread and that's how Celtic Football club was named and I'm guessing because of the large influx of Irish Catholics to the New England area the Boston Celtics are named as they are because of that.

UKBronco58
08-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Some of the names of American sports teams crack me up, some sound very cool and some sound just naff.

My favourite 3:

1-LA Lakers
2-Portland Trail Blazers
3-Oklahoma City Thunder

No disrespect meant but who came up with the Denver Nuggets and the Charlotte Bobcats?

Welcome!
We now have another Basketball fan from England on this site.
Don't be hating on the Nuggets too much though ;)

JasonJohnHorn
08-29-2012, 06:58 AM
1-LA Lakers: Were named this when they were still in Minny based on the number of lakes in the area, but Cali does have a lot of lakes as well, so we'll let that slide.

2-Portland Trail Blazers: Anybody could have been named "trail blazers", like the "mavericks" and the "cavaliers", the name has no real significance to the area, so for that reason I'm not a big fan of that name.

3-Oklahoma City Thunder: Thunder? Really? Every city get thunder... again, this name has no specific meaning related to the city it is named for. I like to see something related to the city's or state's history.

Other names that suck: Toronto Raptors. Seriously? They named it that because Jurasic Park was a big hit at the time. A topical name that makes no sense. They should have kept their old name (huskies) or named them the Mounties or something. Knickerboxers? Seriously?

Denver Nuggets were named that because of the gold rush in denver. That name makes sense. It's tied in with the history of the area.

Charlotte Bobcats... there are bobcats in that area, so it is a name suited for the area.

Other good names: The Bulls (named because of the meatpacking industry in chi-town). The Clippers (named after the boats on the coastal city, and when they moved, they stayed on a coastal city, so it still makes sense). Jazz made sense when they were in New Orleans... they moved to Utah and kept it... it's still a nice name but makes no sense for the area it's in.

Pistons is a great name because it's in the motor city.

LeGacy is Music
08-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Like a good 5 post mentioned why Knicks are called Knicks. And you have a question mark on your post about the Knickerbockers

tbomlad
08-29-2012, 08:13 AM

Right! Which is why they should have changed their name so it would make sense. Lakers is the worst name in basketball because it makes no sense. Just like the Dodgers should have stayed in Brooklyn. Dodgers was a nickname they gave young kids who would purposely wait until the last minute to jump out of the way of a railcar/trolley but has NOTHING to do with LA. LA is *** backwards.

tbomlad
08-29-2012, 08:20 AM
I see a lot of people bashing the Magic name. It makes total sense to me. The city of Orlando is known all over the world for the Magic Kingdom, marketing genius of a name. Plus magic means where unbelievable things happen, another plus for the name. I don't understand what you don't get? The names that suck are the ones that don't make any sense for the city like Utah Jazz, Lakers, Hornets. These are the worse names in basketball.

Knicks21
08-29-2012, 08:28 AM
No hate but Miami Heat, especially with the capitalised HEAT is stupid.
imo.

koreancabbage
08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
give me some Raptors LOL

DenButsu
08-29-2012, 09:48 AM

My favourite 3:

1-LA Lakers
2-Portland Trail Blazers
3-Oklahoma City Thunder

Dude you create a thread bashing and praising team names when you have zero clue about their history or origin? Step up your game.

Really wish PSD had a minimum post threshold for creating new threads.

DenButsu
08-29-2012, 09:53 AM
And JJH, Portland - > Lewis and Clark.

Vincent33
08-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Best:

Celtics
Pacers
Pistons
Spurs
Mavericks

Worst:

Nets(might as well be the Brooklyn Backboards, Basketballs or Free Throw Lines...)
Bobcats(after the original owner...what a d-bag)
Wizards(I don't get it)
Lakers(When I think of LA basketball and all the lakes the city is famous for...should've changed the name when they moved from Minneapolis)
Jazz(same for Utah after moving from New Orleans, because if there's one thing that Utah is known for is their jazz music)

Shaolin
08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Toronto Raptors.

My team, but unfortunately the worst name in the league. There was a contest in late '93 or '94 to name the team, and it was heavily influenced by the popularity of the children's movie Jurassic Park - released in 1993. The modern equivalent would be calling them something like "The Toronto Buzz Lightyears" or "The Toronto Quidditches".

Other incredible options included:

"Beavers, Bobcats, Dragons, Grizzlies, Hogs, Raptors, Scorpions, T-Rex, Tarantulas, and Terriers"

Toronto Terriers - Are you f***ing kidding me? So, aside from the worst name in the league, there were 9 other options (aside from maybe the Grizzlies & Bobcats) that were equally bad.

Historical best in the league? Had to be the Washington Bullets. Modern best in the league? I'd have to go with the Celtics.

pinhead
08-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Dude you create a thread bashing and praising team names when you have zero clue about their history or origin? Step up your game.

Ha, fair point I guess. I am still quite a novice when it comes to the history and tradition of the NBA. My point was just the actual names of the teams, not the meanings behind them.

The first NBA match I watched was only 4 years ago. I watched it casually up until the Olympics, which has kind of got me interested in it again. I will be watching much more of the new season.

I have watched way more NFL than NBA in the last 3 years.

JasonJohnHorn
08-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Chi-town actually has a higher homicide rate ;-)

MrfadeawayJB
08-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I have to agree with some posters that my team "the grizzlies" is not the best team name. I do like the idea of having names that are significant to the region. I think the hornets should actually be the New Orleans Jazz. Memphis could be the Memphis Blues or the Memphis Soul (but that sounds like a wnba team lol)

ombada
08-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Best:

Celtics
Pacers
Pistons
Spurs
Mavericks

Worst:

Nets(might as well be the Brooklyn Backboards, Basketballs or Free Throw Lines...)
Bobcats(after the original owner...what a d-bag)
Wizards(I don't get it)
Lakers(When I think of LA basketball and all the lakes the city is famous for...should've changed the name when they moved from Minneapolis)
Jazz(same for Utah after moving from New Orleans, because if there's one thing that Utah is known for is their jazz music)

:laugh: Brooklyn Backboards... awesome.

Finally someone mentions the Pacers, named after the pace cars in the Indy 500.

Mave1002
08-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Sad but true,Pistons dont play in Detroit though but the city itself outside of downtown has become a pretty scary place.

Sorry to hear.

EricMontross
08-30-2012, 11:34 AM
The raptors were essentially named after Jurassic Park, which is pretty gay. Imagine Brooklyn changed its name to the Brooklyn Na'vi.

I like the ones that really have something to do with the town, like the Milwaukee Brewers or the Baltimore Ravens. I mean, not many teams are named after a poem (the raven, by edgar allen poe).

Ray_R
08-30-2012, 01:35 PM
The heat is pretty bad. Thunder is bad and Jazz is pretty bad also since their in utah.

Big Zo
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
1. Jazz: Are all those mormons really jazzing it up in Utah?
2. Lakers: Obviously LA isn't very known for it's lakes.
3. Bulls: There are no Bulls in Chicago, just people that suffer from shrinkage and look like fat cows. Maybe they should be the Chicago Cows?

b_russ
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
1. Jazz: Are all those mormons really jazzing it up in Utah?2. Lakers: Obviously LA isn't very known for it's lakes.
3. Bulls: There are no Bulls in Chicago, just people that suffer from shrinkage and look like fat cows. Maybe they should be the Chicago Cows?

This counts for something right? http://www.slcjazzfestival.org/

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Lakers is not just a team name anymore...it's a way of life.

Big Zo
08-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Lakers is not just a team name anymore...it's a way of life.

Nope, still just a stupid name. It was dumb even when they were still in Minneapolis. I've never heard anyone that lives near a lake be referred to as a "laker."

Ray_R
08-30-2012, 05:14 PM
1. Jazz: Are all those mormons really jazzing it up in Utah?
2. Lakers: Obviously LA isn't very known for it's lakes.

The name denoted strength and power, and it tied in to the city’s meatpacking tradition and the Chicago Amphitheater’s (first home court of the Bulls) proximity to the famed Chicago Stockyards.
tRILL/

smith&wesson
08-30-2012, 05:33 PM
worst name

raptors.

best names

Warriors
Kings
Trailblazers

Captain Moroni
08-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Imagine teams followed suit of funny names...

Los Angeles lakers....Portland ponds, Orlando ocean, st Louis streams, Pittsburgh puddles
Brooklyn Nets....Green Bay goalposts, Philadelphia foul poles, Boston bases, Chicago end zone
Philadelphia 76ers......Cleveland 34's, St Louis 16's, Washington 12,267's, SF 49'ers
New York Knicks......Miami Capris, Oakland jeans, Los Angeles bell bottoms
Miami heat.....Minnesota cold, Vancouver balmy, san Francisco freeze
Los Angeles Clippers....Houston hair gel, Calgary combs, Seattle scissors.
(yes I know a clipper is a ship)
Boston Celtics....Cincinnati Scotsman, Tampa bay Egyptians, Jacksonville Aussies
Utah Jazz....Texas country, New Jersey Rap, Columbus contempory, Atlanta alternative
Sacramento kings....OKC queens, Dallas Jacks, Denver aces, Carolina cards
Portland trailblazers?....buffalo icebreakers, Arizona plows, Baltimore snow shovels, LA leaf blowers
San Antonio spurs....Seattle saddles, Charlotte chaps, Tennessee ten gallon hats, Baltimore boots
Milwaukee Bucks....San Diego quarters, Dallas dimes, Pittsburgh pennies, new Orleans nickels
(yes I know it's a male deer)

meadowlarklemon
08-31-2012, 07:39 AM
uncountable nouns suck........jazz, heat, thunder, and uh.......the magic. how can anyone be "a magic". so stupid.

best name? Globetrotters of course

Rentzias
08-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Worst:
1. Magic

Then a tie for 2nd worst between the Trailblazers and Nuggets. Colorado is just awful at naming our pro sports teams. Only the lacrosse teams are named anything reasonable.

King41
08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
like: bulls,knicks,celtics,mavericks,kings
don't like: spurs,rockets,jazz

Six-8-TheWizard
08-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Finally something my Raptors have a chance to win :D

cbreezy34
08-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Best- Celtics, Hornets (when they were in charlotte) Sixers, Knicks, Bulls
Worst- Magic, Wizards, Bobcats, Timberwolves, Bucks

tbone2171
08-31-2012, 11:34 AM

Right, because the number of "posts" someone has equals their sports knowledge. :rolleyes:

DenButsu
08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Right, because the number of "posts" someone has equals their sports knowledge. :rolleyes:

No, not sports knowledge. Knowledge of the rules and expectations of posting threads at PSD.

JLynn943
08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Best: Pistons, Bulls, Trail Blazers, Kings
Worst: Magic, Thunder, Lakers, Raptors

mrblisterdundee
08-31-2012, 02:27 PM
The Lakers have a fairly ******** name, considering their location (I firmly believe their name should be changed to Entourage). The Trailblazers sounds good, until you realize it's referencing a wagon train.
Really, to make their names sound cool, NBA teams need to drop the "The."
That being said, The Oklahoma City Thunder have the best name. Now if only The Hornets would change to The Hurricanes.

meadowlarklemon
08-31-2012, 05:18 PM
i've heard the Thunder referred to as "the Thunder" before.....