PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual PSD Player Rankings #6 Center In The NBA? (Volume: V)

Mile High Champ
08-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last four years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. The season is now over and the Heat have been crowned NBA champs which means its time to kick off the off-season player rankings.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron was labelled by some as Choke Artist in the clutch and now this year had one of the greatest finals performances in recent memory. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 4 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2012 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Kevin Garnett
4) Marc Gasol
5) Tim Duncan
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2011 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Tim Duncan
4) Andrew Bogut
5) Al Horford
6) Marc Gasol
7) Tyson Chandler
8) Joakim Noah
9) Nene
10) Al Jefferson

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

goose14741
08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Tyson

xxplayerxx23
08-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Tyson. I missed the vote for 5 but Tyson should of went there :(

IndyHeatjman
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Chandler, I thought he should've been third. Obviously defense is not held in high regard.

Mile High Champ
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Here is a comparison of 6 of the players on this list.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=jeffeal01&y1=2012&p2=chandty01&y2=2012&p3=hibbero01&y3=2012&p4=noahjo01&y4=2012&p5=gortama01&y5=2012&p6=horfoal01&y6=2012

Mile High Champ
08-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Chandler, I thought he should've been third. Obviously defense is not held in high regard.

How do you figure? KG, Gasol and Duncan are all very good defenders and all of whom have a stronger offensive game than Chandler.

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Is Hibbert the worst all star of all time he might not even be top 8

BTW Chandler sucks he is a journey man who was traded for Najera

Jesse2272
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM

BTW Chandler sucks he is a journey man who was traded for Najera

The world champion, reigning DPOY, gold medalist

IndyHeatjman
08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
How do you figure? KG, Gasol and Duncan are all very good defenders and all of whom have a stronger offensive game than Chandler.

KG/Duncan are PF's IMO, Among "True Center's", I still believe Chandler is Third Best. He may not have that great of an offensive game, or so it seems, because of his supporting cast doing the bulk of the shooting. And i just believe Marc Gasol is overrated...Hince silver medal not gold and He plays for Memphis...no offense to fans but what did his efforts amount to for the team at the end of last season?

Chronz
08-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Going with Al Horford for some odd reason

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
The world champion, reigning DPOY, gold medalist

World Champ=Scalabrine
DPOY= 2nd team all defense which = worst DPOY of all time
Gold Medalist= Anthony Davis

PLEASE he sucks

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I voted for Monroe... just because I thought he deserved some love... he got snubbed at the All-Star game.. he was posting much better numbers than Hibbert... but winning has to count for something... so I understand why Hibbert made the team even if Monroe's numbers were better... Chandler put out the best defensive effort in the post this season so he is deserving of a high ranking, despite his limited offensive production.

Jesse2272
08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
World Champ=Scalabrine
DPOY= 2nd team all defense which = worst DPOY of all time
Gold Medalist= Anthony Davis

PLEASE he sucks

you seem to be a very angry little person

did something bad happen to you at a Knick game as a child?

knicksfan42
08-28-2012, 05:06 PM

You voted for Roy Hibbert :laugh::laugh::laugh:

At least you admit he's better than Lopez.

Jesse2272
08-28-2012, 05:06 PM
I voted for Monroe... just because I thought he deserved some love... he got snubbed at the All-Star game.. he was posting much better numbers than Hibbert... but winning has to count for something... so I understand why Hibbert made the team even if Monroe's numbers were better... Chandler put out the best defensive effort in the post this season so he is deserving of a high ranking, despite his limited offensive production.

Good choice

xxplayerxx23
08-28-2012, 05:12 PM

She doesn't. She will do anything to keep chandler from getting the spot.

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 05:13 PM

He isnt but he deserves this vote over Chandler who blows. Im sorry you like him because he dunks a ball and pounds his chest while I laugh and say he is the biggest bust. I mean 5 teams in 10 years.

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Being a good defender doesnt make you anything especially when you cant shoot free throws, post up, shoot jump shots, pass the ball at all. He flat out sucks. Id take 20 centers in the league over him. He is up there in overated right next to Perkins. Now Perkins gets no love that will soon be Chandler just like when he was in New Orleans and CHarlotte and Chicago.

xxplayerxx23
08-28-2012, 05:22 PM
:laugh: your one funny girl.

SteBO
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Being a good defender doesnt make you anything especially when you cant shoot free throws, post up, shoot jump shots, pass the ball at all. He flat out sucks. Id take 20 centers in the league over him. He is up there in overated right next to Perkins. Now Perkins gets no love that will soon be Chandler just like when he was in New Orleans and CHarlotte and Chicago.
A key cog on the 2011 NBA champion Dallas Mavericks and the reigning defensive player of the year (even if you don't agree with it) flat out sucks?

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Here is a comparison of 6 of the players on this list.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=jeffeal01&y1=2012&p2=chandty01&y2=2012&p3=hibbero01&y3=2012&p4=noahjo01&y4=2012&p5=gortama01&y5=2012&p6=horfoal01&y6=2012

Statistically it looks like Jefferson and Gortat should be heading this list... though Monroe is putting up pretty good numbers to, and he's not on that list.

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
He isnt but he deserves this vote over Chandler who blows. Im sorry you like him because he dunks a ball and pounds his chest while I laugh and say he is the biggest bust. I mean 5 teams in 10 years.

Yeah... and Shaq? That guy played for the Lakers, Heat, Suns, Cavs and Celtics in less than ten years... he must be a bust too because he played for five different teams... oh wait... yeah... that logic doesn't really hold any water.

Chandler was the reason the Mavs won the title. The one thing Dirk and the Mavs were lacking all those years was a defensice post player who could rebound. Defence and rebounds win championships. 50% of the game is on defence, so half the time he's on the court, Chandler is the best player. The other half... he moves well without the ball and knows how to cut to the basket, but offense is not his specialty. He is a niche player, but he is very good at teh niche he fills out. If the Heat had him on their roster they would have swept their way to a title. If the OKC had him, they would have won the title. He makes a huge impact despite his limited offensive game.

Mile High Champ
08-28-2012, 06:06 PM
KG/Duncan are PF's IMO, Among "True Center's", I still believe Chandler is Third Best. He may not have that great of an offensive game, or so it seems, because of his supporting cast doing the bulk of the shooting. And i just believe Marc Gasol is overrated...Hince silver medal not gold and He plays for Memphis...no offense to fans but what did his efforts amount to for the team at the end of last season?

You can call them whatever you want, they started the majority of their games at center last year. They are now centers at this stage of their respective careers.

I think your attacking Gasol for all the wrong things? A silver medal? Come on, there was no way any team was taking down the dream team 2.0 this past summer. That should be in no way a slight against Gasol. Also why is playing for Memphis a bad thing? They made the playoffs last year just like the Knicks but overall had a much stronger record. I am not sure what you are getting at.

Why is Gasol overrated? Provide some evidence.

StarvingKnick22
08-28-2012, 06:08 PM
wow Tyson should be 3rd duncan and Garnett shouldnt be here still. its not like they grew an inch.

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
A key cog on the 2011 NBA champion Dallas Mavericks and the reigning defensive player of the year (even if you don't agree with it) flat out sucks?

That was last year talk about currently he was 2nd team all defense and DPOY thats terrible. That means he doesnt deserve it.

Jesse2272
08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
That was last year talk about currently he was 2nd team all defense and DPOY thats terrible. That means he doesnt deserve it.

Hey if you actually understand your own logic run with it

SteBO
08-28-2012, 06:23 PM
But saying he sucks is taking it to an extreme and I personally don't really care about individual accolades because I don't think those are had unless team success is happening. Regardless if it was last year or not, it still did happen and he was one of the main reasons Dallas even has a title.

Tyson is where he belongs here in my opinion.......

unleashthebeast
08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Duncan deserved #5. This one should be Tyson, followed closely by Big Al Horford

FraziersKnicks
08-28-2012, 06:53 PM
DoMeFavors maaaaaad...

I would be if Brook "3 RPG" Lopez was my starting center

koreancabbage
08-28-2012, 07:11 PM
domefavors maaaaaad...

I would be if brook "3 rpg" lopez was my starting center

rofl

Rylz
08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm going with Jefferson over Chandler. Essentially, its a battle between arguably the best offensive center in Jefferson over arguably the best defensive center in Chandler. Here's why I picked big Al.

Both teams went 36-30 this year.

One team has Carmelo Anthony. The other one doesn't.

Big Al led his team to that record. While Chandler certainly contributes (quite a bit), he's got a lot more help than Jefferson does.

29$JerZ
08-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Why do you continue to pay her any mind. Thinking a DPOY and a Champ sucks shows you how much their opinion can be trusted.

Anyway its Chandler here. Hofford is better but based on last season I'd give Chandler the spot here.

Chronz
08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm going with Jefferson over Chandler. Essentially, its a battle between arguably the best offensive center in Jefferson over arguably the best defensive center in Chandler. Here's why I picked big Al.

Both teams went 36-30 this year.

One team has Carmelo Anthony. The other one doesn't.

Big Al led his team to that record. While Chandler certainly contributes (quite a bit), he's got a lot more help than Jefferson does.
Some of these things Im confused on whether your trying to help him or not, like having Melo last year wasnt much of an advantage and why didnt TC "lead" the Knicks.

DoMeFavors
08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
why do you continue to pay her any mind. Thinking a dpoy and a champ sucks shows you how much their opinion can be trusted.

Anyway its chandler here. Hofford is better but based on last season i'd give chandler the spot here.

pika pika chuuuu

Gagan136
08-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Tysssssson

Eagles4Lyfe
08-28-2012, 09:41 PM
pika pika chuuuu

:laugh:
That's actually a nice one

Swashcuff
08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
IMO Tyson, Gortat, Jeff, Horford, Bogut, Cousins (YES I said Cousins), Noah Monroe and Hibbert all have arguments here.

Tyson was hands down the most valuable player on a post season team last season and won the DPOY so I'll give him the nod here. Most impactful player left on the list IMO.

knicks=love
08-28-2012, 09:58 PM

it's voted on and clearly they had no idea what they were doing. it must've been a poll of just you.

DoMeFavors maaaaaad...

I would be if Brook "3 RPG" Lopez was my starting center

:laugh:

Swashcuff
08-28-2012, 09:58 PM

What kind of GARBAGE is this I just read? :laugh2:

Hellcrooner
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
bogut.
most complete game left. the rest, either attack or deffend.

lakers4sho
08-28-2012, 11:21 PM
give it another year and I think cousins overtakes the guys who are left.

Chronz
08-28-2012, 11:28 PM
bogut.
most complete game left. the rest, either attack or deffend.

I dont like Bogut's efficiency offensively but yea hes a decent choice

Chacarron
08-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Boogie Down Productions.

NBA-GMaster
08-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Between Chandler and Horford..

seikou8
08-29-2012, 04:09 AM
give it another year and I think cousins overtakes the guys who are left.

me too man

IndyHeatjman
08-29-2012, 05:40 AM
What kind of GARBAGE is this I just read? :laugh2:

Garbage? Gasol got a silver medal with Spain, and Chandler got the gold with USA. Get it? It's a fact, you know... the truth. Oh and gold>silver...did i clear it up for ya? And {["<IMO>"]}, Chandler>Gasol. And Chandler has less Offensive responsability becuase he plays with Melo,and Amare. He dosen't lack skills in the post, and plays for a better team than Marc, therefore has less stats in the PPG column. DPOY is not a joker award.

koreancabbage
08-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Garbage? Gasol got a silver medal with Spain, and Chandler got the gold with USA. Get it? It's a fact, you know... the truth. Oh and gold>silver...did i clear it up for ya? And {["<IMO>"]}, Chandler>Gasol. And Chandler has less Offensive responsability becuase he plays with Melo,and Amare. He dosen't lack skills in the post, and plays for a better team than Marc, therefore has less stats in the PPG column. DPOY is not a joker award.

Chandler has no offensive game. Thus, no offensive responsibilities. and yes, he does lack skill in the post. Thus, no offensive responsibilities.

He's a defensive beast when it comes to team ball and loaded around with talent.

Both Gasol plays are better players than Chandler (skill set and all-round, there is no denying that) but I think Chandler is the glue guy that makes the Knicks so good on defense.

I don't think even think Chandler deserved that DPOY award in all honesty, stat wise. There are more deserving players, like Dwight Howard or Josh Smith for example, when it comes to individual stats. Not saying Chandler sucks- he is more of a system guy than an individual that stands out by himself.

Jesse2272
08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Chandler has no offensive game. Thus, no offensive responsibilities. and yes, he does lack skill in the post. Thus, no offensive responsibilities.

He's a defensive beast when it comes to team ball and loaded around with talent.

Both Gasol plays are better players than Chandler (skill set and all-round, there is no denying that) but I think Chandler is the glue guy that makes the Knicks so good on defense.

I don't think even think Chandler deserved that DPOY award in all honesty, stat wise. There are more deserving players, like Dwight Howard or Josh Smith for example, when it comes to individual stats. Not saying Chandler sucks- he is more of a system guy than an individual that stands out by himself.

Im glad DPOY was not judged on blocks alone, TC has bigger impact on the game defensivley with whats not recorded in the box score defense is a team concept and he anchored the Mavs the same way

Swashcuff
08-29-2012, 09:40 AM

:crazy:

goose14741
08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Mavs with tyson = title
Mavs without tyson = garbage
Knicks with tyson = top5 defensive team
Knicks without tyson = bottom 5 defensive team

Tyson wins games and has more impact on the team he is on than any center left on this list

Swashcuff
08-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Mavs with tyson = title
Mavs without tyson = garbage
Knicks with tyson = top5 defensive team
Knicks without tyson = bottom 5 defensive team

Tyson wins games and has more impact on the team he is on than any center left on this list

What basketball are you watching? The Mavs were a top 10 defensive team last season without Tyson Chandler. They weren't even a top 5 defensive team with Tyson. Matter of a fact they were BETTER without Tyson last season than they were with him the season prior.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I voted Monroe, because I think he WILL be the 6th best this upcoming season, but Chandler is probably the right answer here.

Hellcrooner
08-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Eddy Curry is better than Tyson chandler because he WOn a ring with the Heat and Chandler won jack with the knicks RING > no ring, get it?
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Jesse2272
08-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Eddy Curry is better than Tyson chandler because he WOn a ring with the Heat and Chandler won jack with the knicks RING > no ring, get it?

Fixed

IndyHeatjman
08-29-2012, 01:37 PM

^You got to be joking...

Hellcrooner
08-29-2012, 01:48 PM
^You got to be joking...

Not more than you are .

Swashcuff
08-29-2012, 01:54 PM
^You got to be joking...

What you said was even more foolish than that and he was actually trying to be foolish.

IndyHeatjman
08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
What you said was even more foolish than that and he was actually trying to be foolish.

^Chandler>Gasol is a legit argument...the medal comment was a joke. Seriously, olympic play can't possibly justify the better player. My opinion is Tyson is better, thats all. Curry>Chandler is foolish.