PDA

View Full Version : Who's next? Shaq or Kobe?

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Kareem is getting his statue up at the Staples center as mention in another thread, so the question is: Who's next? Shaq or Kobe? Shaq may not get it at all since he only played half of his career there, but he was there for the best part of his career. Kobe is a Lakers lifer and has helped them get five rings and counting.

Thoughts?

amos1er
08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
No brainer - Kobe

RealLiveBear
08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Since Shaq is already retired I'd say if he does get one he'd get it before Kobe since Kobe got some years left. That being said they may not even give Shaq one.

IndyHeatjman
08-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Kobe has only played in L.A., where as Shaq hopped around the league...where would they build Shaq's statue if it were to happen? The Bayou? Orlando?Miami?LA? Idk. The Lakers might as well make a Memorial with statues of all the greats to have played there. Anyways, i believe Kobe would get his statue first.

LoveMeOrHateMe
08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Kobe no doubt about it, shaq won't be getting a statue wasn't in LA for most of his career plus he burnt bridges when he left

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Kobe without a doubt.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Since Shaq is already retired I'd say if he does get one he'd get it before Kobe since Kobe got some years left. That being said they may not even give Shaq one.

Shaq and Kobe both built Staples Center. Shaq deserves his statue in front of Staples, no question.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Kobe no doubt about it, shaq won't be getting a statue wasn't in LA for most of his career plus he burnt bridges when he left

You do know he's going to get his Laker jersey retired sometime this upcoming season, right?

Tony_Starks
08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Kobe. Shaq will get his eventually but he still has to do some reconciling with the Buss family before that happens. He burned bridges on his way out the door......

bucketss
08-28-2012, 04:41 PM

bridges so burnt that they're going to retire his jersey?

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Kobe. Shaq will get his eventually but he still has to do some reconciling with the Buss family before that happens. He burned bridges on his way out the door......

Again, he is going to get his Laker jersey retired this season.

lakers4sho
08-28-2012, 04:47 PM
as of now kobe has done more for the los angeles laker franchise than o'neal

Tony_Starks
08-28-2012, 04:51 PM

Jersey retiring and a statue are two completely different things. Kareems jersey has been up there forever and it was still YEARS after Magic that he's finally getting his statue......

RaiderLakersA's
08-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Kobe will get one in LA before Shaq does. How do I know? (Drum roll, please...)

~ The OFFICIAL* Qualifications for Getting a Statue in LA ~

A minimum of 5 NBA Championships as a Lakers player or head coach.

A top 10 position in a significant statistical NBA category at the time of retirement.

Lifetime career and/or support of the organization behind the scenes, 3 years minimal service.

Both Kareem and Magic meet those requisites.

*Disclaimer: Yes, I made the criteria up, but sounds like a good place to start, doesn't it?

Mamba006
08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Kobe should be first... Shaq not only burned bridges, he played for the Celtics before he retired. I dont think Shaq should have a statue but his jersey should be retired eventually (but everything after Kobe).

macc
08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Prob a dumb question but I don't know. Is there a Magic Johnson statue up? If not, shouldn't he be on the list here.

LoveMeOrHateMe
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
You do know he's going to get his Laker jersey retired sometime this upcoming season, right?

Yes i do know but getting your jersey retired and getting a statue are two different things he deserves the jersey but even then the buss family was contemplating wether to retire it or not I just don't see a statue for shaq he's lucky he's getting his jersey retired(he deserves it though)

RaiderLakersA's
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Prob a dumb question but I don't know. Is there a Magic Johnson statue up? If not, shouldn't he be on the list here.

Yes, Magic has a statue in front of Staples. Google it.

bucketss
08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes i do know but getting your jersey retired and getting a statue are two different things he deserves the jersey but even then the buss family was contemplating wether to retire it or not I just don't see a statue for shaq he's lucky he's getting his jersey retired(he deserves it though)

no they weren't retiring his jersey was a no brainer

Lakers4ItAll
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Shaq was a Celtic therefor should never get a statue as a Laker

knicks=love
08-28-2012, 06:13 PM

this

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Kobe will get one in LA before Shaq does. How do I know? (Drum roll, please...)

~ The OFFICIAL* Qualifications for Getting a Statue in LA ~

A minimum of 5 NBA Championships as a Lakers player or head coach.

A top 10 position in a significant statistical NBA category at the time of retirement.

Lifetime career and/or support of the organization behind the scenes, 3 years minimal service.

Both Kareem and Magic meet those requisites.

*Disclaimer: Yes, I made the criteria up, but sounds like a good place to start, doesn't it?

What about Jerry West? He only got one ring as a player.

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 06:40 PM

It could be argued that Kobe held the Lakers back from getting more rings because of his issues with Shaq/ball hogging. Had Kobe not taken the "me or Shaq" attitude, he could have had 6 or 7 rings by now.

The goods
08-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Kobe deserves his first then shaq

Bruno
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
shaq getting his statue after kobe will be the buss familys final reminder to Shaq/the public as to the mistake he made in 2004.

you can't demand 30 million dollars per year as a 32 year old, and publicly humiliate the owner. Shaq will get his after Kobe; the Buss family will send the message, but they will also do the right thing by eventually getting him his own statue in-front of Staples, which he absolutely deserves. Kobe may have been paying the mortgage on staples, but Shaq laid the bricks. i love shaq and i love kobe, all laker fans should- it's in the past. but buss is a prideful man who understands strategy and how to send a message.

Phil should get his statue before Kobe or Shaq.

sp1derm00
08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
I can imagine it now, Shaq pointing to the rafters after Kobe's alley oop to him for the win against the Blazers.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9A1KTJ-_nKKAVzaFMDvZamq_Js0FdyqOy-rM90Ja3ngRHGNCh&t=1

Greatest memory of him as a Laker. This is the statue that should be immortalized.

Tony_Starks
08-28-2012, 07:30 PM
It could be argued that Kobe held the Lakers back from getting more rings because of his issues with Shaq/ball hogging. Had Kobe not taken the "me or Shaq" attitude, he could have had 6 or 7 rings by now.

Wow. Just Wow. I guess you missed the '04 finals vs Detroit where Ben Wallace ran circles around Shaq making a fool of him while Kobe singlehandedly won them their only game in the series. OR the multitude of games where Phil would take Shaq out in crunch time and Kobe was the closer, all while defending the other teams best perimeter player.

But you're right, besides that he was just a selfish ballhog........

Tony_Starks
08-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Shaq was a Celtic therefor should never get a statue as a Laker

Agree 100% In fact technically he retired a Celtic.

todu82
08-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Kobe. He's played there longer and meant more to the Lakers than Shaq.

Avenged
08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
As great as Shaq was for LAL, I don't think he should get a statue.. Next up is Kobe.

Mave1002
08-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Shaq played for the Celtics.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-28-2012, 09:57 PM

Are you high?

soundjunkies2
08-28-2012, 09:59 PM
As great as Shaq was for LAL, I don't think he should get a statue.. Next up is Kobe.

I agree.

KnickaBocka.44
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
They should put both of them in the same statue depicting the famous one-line Shaq song "Kobe, How My Azz Taste?"

vandoc
08-29-2012, 01:40 AM
I think they should put up a statue of both at the same time, somehow depicting the alley-oop pass from Kobe to Shaq vs Portland in 2000. It will remind both of them how great they were together and how their immaturity probably cost the Lakers a couple of championships.
Shaq brought the Lakers back to the Finals and Kobe made sure the Lakers didn't fall off for too long. Combined, they were responsible for 5 championships, just like Magic and Kareem, and as a Laker fan, I thank them for that.

Bruno
08-29-2012, 03:18 AM
I think they should put up a statue of both at the same time, somehow depicting the alley-oop pass from Kobe to Shaq vs Portland in 2000. It will remind both of them how great they were together and how their immaturity probably cost the Lakers a couple of championships.
Shaq brought the Lakers back to the Finals and Kobe made sure the Lakers didn't fall off for too long. Combined, they were responsible for 5 championships, just like Magic and Kareem, and as a Laker fan, I thank them for that.

totally.

envymamba24
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I can imagine it now, Shaq pointing to the rafters after Kobe's alley oop to him for the win against the Blazers.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9A1KTJ-_nKKAVzaFMDvZamq_Js0FdyqOy-rM90Ja3ngRHGNCh&t=1

Greatest memory of him as a Laker. This is the statue that should be immortalized.

Heck yea

Vinylman
08-29-2012, 11:23 AM

He is?

that is weird... I don't think the lakers have ever retired a jersey before the player was elected into the HOF.

Do you have a source?

dc5jdm
08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Kobe no question about it. Shaq laid the bricks here in LA but didn't finish the job. Kobe has done way more for this franchise and still climbing the ladder. Lol I just remembered the kings retiring pejas Jersey or am I trippen

Gagan136
08-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Kobe for sure

LA_Raiders
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Shaq wont get one...