PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Summer Forecast - Team Turmoil

mjm07
08-28-2012, 11:36 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8303109/2012-nba-summer-forecast-team-turmoil

Knicks with the highest votes at 41 which more than doubles the 2nd highest voted team, Magic.

I hate the Knicks but i see them having a relatively turmoil free season. In other words i can see this Melo-Stat-Chandler lead Knick team to have their best season to date. ( which isn't saying much either )

On the other hand, if Melo, Stat, Chandler don't go far in the playoffs and grossly underachieve..they'll be viewed/considered even more overrated or worse.

Thoughts?

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 11:48 AM
People are gonna vote for the knicks no matter what till they prove something. If you want to more respect, do better. I like it, no one is really giving knicks respect besides knicks fans. It's great, maybe they'll actually do something now.

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I mean, the Knicks pop into your head right away when this comes up, sorry Knicks fans. Melo and Stat have not shown the ability to work together yet for long, they have JR Smith (nuff said), and its New York, whose media blows everything out of proportion. They can easily shut everyone up by just playing well together.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Houston Rockets should have been up there for their off-season. Still don't know what their depth chart will look like. I'm taking a guess and saying it'll be a lot different next season.

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
The Rockets aren't expected to do a whole lot though...

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
To me, "turmoil" means problems further than the W/L column.

JerseyPalahniuk
08-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah thats a good interpretation as well. Again, don't like these random ESPN questions as they questions are way to vague. In terms of roster, the Knicks probably won't be doing a lot of moves while the Rockets are bound to do roster reshuffling.

If the reason Rockets weren't on the list because they weren't expected to do a whole lot, then the Magic shouldn't have gotten 15 votes either. But I guess the post-Dwight drama is big enough to be considered a team in "turmoil" when their path is already pretty much set as rebuilding.

BklynKnicks3
08-28-2012, 12:17 PM
amazing how little people know about basketball and give their opnions Melo and stat play fine together the problem is chandler and amare both want the ball in the same spots(pick n roll) When ever chandler didnt play amare n melo both had good games. Not to mention amare avg 25 playing with melo after melo was traded to ny

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 12:21 PM
amazing how little people know about basketball and give their opnions Melo and stat play fine together the problem is chandler and amare both want the ball in the same spots(pick n roll) When ever chandler didnt play amare n melo both had good games. Not to mention amare avg 25 playing with melo after melo was traded to ny

Basketball has a lot more to do with chemistry than you want to believe obviously. Many of us DID watch them, and over the course of the season, Melo and Stat are not cohesive, they have some personalities, and the NY media.

mjm07
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Is there a link to confirm this?

So what would be the solution for all three to play better together and help the Knicks go deep in the playoffs?

This is the biggest key to the Knicks season. Improve play when their big 3 are together. They have no excuses this year to make it happen.

Stinkyoutsider
08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
For the Knicks to be removed off this list, Chandler will have to not be in foul trouble and Melo/Stat will need to learn how to play off each other.

I still can't understand why Melo and Stat don't play pick and roll basketball with each other. Kidd is great at pick and roll ball but Melo should be running it with Stat. Melo can shoot, handle the ball, and attack the rim so as a defender you really need to guess what you want to take away from him. Then, if you commit to stopping Melo, Melo can come off the screen and Stat can roll to the rim or pop the jumper. Tough to stop...

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 12:36 PM
For the Knicks to be removed off this list, Chandler will have to not be in foul trouble and Melo/Stat will need to learn how to play off each other.

I still can't understand why Melo and Stat don't play pick and roll basketball with each other. Kidd is great at pick and roll ball but Melo should be running it with Stat. Melo can shoot, handle the ball, and attack the rim so as a defender you really need to guess what you want to take away from him. Then, if you commit to stopping Melo, Melo can come off the screen and Stat can roll to the rim or pop the jumper. Tough to stop...

You need a good passer who can space off the dribble and create passing lanes is why a Melo/Stat PnR is not going to work well.

smith&wesson
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
i actually agree that last season the knicks did have some issues.

lets face it, melo is the face and corner stone of that team. didnt seem to me lin and melo had a chance of working out. one had to go imo.

kidd is great for chemistry. best floor general you can have really in terms of chemistry even though he is old.

felton has great chemistry with amare. they played reallly well together before the trade for melo.

camby will offer good depth behind chandler.

over all the knicks made some really good and under rated moves. they are deeper, and the team has more defined roles now. they should be much better this season imo.

javaid64
08-28-2012, 12:39 PM
You need a good passer who can space off the dribble and create passing lanes is why a Melo/Stat PnR is not going to work well.

well that won't be a problem anymore i guess with time divided by kidd/pablo/felton at the point, all still very good passers

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 12:41 PM
well that won't be a problem anymore i guess with time divided by kidd/pablo/felton at the point, all still very good passers

Oh I was answering a poster on why Melo/Stat don't run the PnR together. Having Felton or Kidd run it is different, though Kidd isn't a scorer at all, so defenses will just go under the pick and try and make him be a spot up shooter, which sometimes works for Kidd, but mostly not. That being said, he is still highly skilled with timing/spacing to create passing lanes, so he will be a PnR upgrade over whatever crap they had running PG after Lin last year.

BklynKnicks3
08-28-2012, 12:47 PM

So what would be the solution for all three to play better together and help the Knicks go deep in the playoffs?

This is the biggest key to the Knicks season. Improve play when their big 3 are together. They have no excuses this year to make it happen.

just got nba refrence and look at knicks box score after melo trade and look at somelast year when tyson was out. The Key is for amare to be able to knock down that 15 footer again and be able to post up alittle mix diffrent things in. Leave most of the pick n roll for tyson since he cant do anything else. Amare knocking down the jumper is key for good spacing also with the fact that we have Melo who always has to be honered by the defense will help.

Huntey
08-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I think Kidd and Camby might help solidify the Knicks, I think they'll be much better then the last couple of years. The New York media will always talk about 'turmoil' when it comes to the Knicks so it's probably unavoidable but my belief is that this will be their most harmonious season yet.

The team that first came to mind was the Magic, their team will be terrible and management are going to get blasted a ton about the quality of the draft picks and players they got in the Dwight deal.

javaid64
08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
i think once amare gets his mid range game back to pre lock-out we are fine...his jumpshot was atrocious last season....if he get it back it'll open up the rest of his game and hopefully he will return to pre lockout stat...and it will lead to more cohesion between stat and melo

Sactown
08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey, At least my team is the top 3 in something :clap:

Jesse2272
08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh I was answering a poster on why Melo/Stat don't run the PnR together. Having Felton or Kidd run it is different, though Kidd isn't a scorer at all, so defenses will just go under the pick and try and make him be a spot up shooter, which sometimes works for Kidd, but mostly not. That being said, he is still highly skilled with timing/spacing to create passing lanes, so he will be a PnR upgrade over whatever crap they had running PG after Lin last year.

Dont talk about the GOAT BoomDizzle that way

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 02:58 PM

oh god haha

KnickaBocka.44
08-28-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm not suggesting that they will be underachievers or anything, but the Lakers could be a team in turmoil if they go through one tough stretch with that roster they are putting out there.

That being said, any weaknesses I can think of them having can be somewhat covered up by another one of their stars and they actually have a solid bench this year behind their 6th man as well. Probably wont happen, but you never know

nycericanguy
08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Ehh, just ESPN stirring the pot.

All the turmoil issues from last year are gone. D'antoni is gone, Lin is sadly gone.

Its a veteran team and guys know their roles. Add in more vets and leaders like Kidd, Camby, Thomas, Brewer... And I think ESPN is either reaching or just trying to stir the pot.

I think the Lakers are more apt to have "turmoil". Mike Brown doesn't seem like he's respected there as coach and thats always a red flag, Kobe will have to deal with Howard being the best player on the team now. They have Metta...(nuff said).

mjm07
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Good points on the Lakers. Hell I don't respect Brown. Now, what is the difference between Brown and Woodson? Besides one being more respected ( woodson ) than the other ( Brown )...

Tony_Starks
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Knicks are always going to have the recipe for turmoil which is the New York media. The first time Melo goes through a rough shooting stretch OR a stretch where he's clearly outshining Amare or vice versa they'll start the Melo vs STAT drama......

Tony_Starks
08-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Good points on the Lakers. Hell I don't respect Brown. Now, what is the difference between Brown and Woodson? Besides one being more respected ( woodson ) than the other ( Brown )...

I would argue that Brown is more respected. He came up under Coach Pop and his teams have always consistently been amongst the best defensive teams in the league. Also Brown seems like more of a "players coach" where Woody has been known to get confrontational and throw guys under the bus.......

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 04:28 PM

I dont care if he wasnt that good, I miss him already lol. Knick fans were waiting for him all year and when we finally got him jeremy lin was there. Plus his handle game was on point :D

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm not suggesting that they will be underachievers or anything, but the Lakers could be a team in turmoil if they go through one tough stretch with that roster they are putting out there.

That being said, any weaknesses I can think of them having can be somewhat covered up by another one of their stars and they actually have a solid bench this year behind their 6th man as well. Probably wont happen, but you never know

Valid point.

mjm07
08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I would argue that Brown is more respected. He came up under Coach Pop and his teams have always consistently been amongst the best defensive teams in the league. Also Brown seems like more of a "players coach" where Woody has been known to get confrontational and throw guys under the bus.......

Did not know that. Good intel. That would be major turmoil if that were to occur.

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Did not know that. Good intel. That would be major turmoil if that were to occur.

Well atleast you know woody wont be throwing jr under the bus. No matter how bad he plays.

Tony_Starks
08-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Well atleast you know woody wont be throwing jr under the bus. No matter how bad he plays.

Haha! I think thats because him and JR and blunt brothers. They probably hotbox in the parking lot before games!

xxplayerxx23
08-28-2012, 05:25 PM

At first they played okay together, both were scoring together. But thats when amare had his great mid range jumper together. But I agreethere is no excuses its go deep now or blow the team up.