PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone ever top 100?

Steelers23_06
08-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Me and my dad talked about how crazy that record is when watching a Wilt special on NBA TV. I know it sounds impossible but could it happen? i mean you have to look at it now there is a 3 point line and if a player ever came into the league that was just perfect could it happen? imagine a player with the size of dwight, post moves of hakeem and jumper of ray...sounds like 2k my player but who would ever think of a player like lebron lol...he just looks created (not saying lebron could/would ever do this so dont get your panties in a bunch). so what you think PSD?

Steelers23_06
08-28-2012, 04:48 AM
i was saying if durant played with a cp3 type pg that could go nights just feeding durant the ball he prob could pass kobe's 81 but 100 is crazyyyyy

thenaj17
08-28-2012, 05:15 AM
It could easily be done if the player gets hot early and then his teammates keep fouling the opposition to stop the clock to get the hot player more shots...just like they did for Wilt. Also, the opposition need to have the innate ability to fail to contest shots time and time again without being accused of letting him score points..

JasonJohnHorn
08-28-2012, 05:25 AM
This record, along with Stockton's all-time assist and steals record, is unbreakable!

Steelers23_06
08-28-2012, 05:30 AM
This record, along with Stockton's all-time assist and steals record, is unbreakable!

records are meant to be broken

Aust
08-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Single game record? I don't know.

But all time records will be broken sooner or later. Technology will advance to a point that it will allow players to play much longer than they can now. This will give the superstar players of the time a better shot.

douglas
08-28-2012, 05:40 AM
I don't know. I'm not a genie, I'm just a simple man who loves the simple things in life.

Raidaz4Life
08-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Nope, I'd say even 80 would be out of the question unless some ridiculously dominant big comes into the league on a team that didn't win a single game the year before.

b@llhog24
08-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Harden

StarvingKnick22
08-28-2012, 08:42 AM
My Grandfather told me about playing with him at "The Cage" in NY. He told me how great of a player he was. Simply said- never.

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 08:44 AM
there's not a player in the league today that could top 100. Godbe cant because he has gotten a little older, otherwise im sure he'd be able to. Durant cant because he's not a real explosive scorer, he's an efficient one and very consistent, but just not an explosive one.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Durant better be feeling good, he's the only one right now who I think could.

Melo maybe a ridiculous outside chance if he's in one of those 33 point quarter zones.

Either way, I dont see it ever happening again.

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Durant better be feeling good, he's the only one right now who I think could.

Melo maybe a ridiculous outside chance if he's in one of those 33 point quarter zones.

Either way, I dont see it ever happening again.

Durant wont even get 60 in his career book it

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
I mean, Kobe got 81 and didn't even get close in all reality, and that is with modern pace. So no, I don't think we will see it again at the NBA level.

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 09:01 AM
there's not a player in the league today that could top 100. Godbe cant because he has gotten a little older, otherwise im sure he'd be able to. Durant cant because he's not a real explosive scorer, he's an efficient one and very consistent, but just not an explosive one.

The top scorers also don't shoot the volume Kobe did/does, which doesn't help their case.

Hawkize31
08-28-2012, 09:01 AM
If a good offensive player really wanted to, and his coach/teammates were willing to try for it, it could happen. Nba teams averaged between 92 and 99 possessions per game last year. If you truly wanted to try for this, have a good offensive player take 80+ shots in a game, they could do it. Efficiency would be awful, it would make the player exhausted, but I think the record could be broken, no doubt.

I think very few coaches would allow anyone to try this. And a lot of players wouldn't do it either.

pacofunk64
08-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I just wanted to post to show everyone the Black & Gold Nation...HAWKEYE NATION....also..

Nope I just don't think it will get done with sooo many more quality players now.

JoeyDubb23
08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
The problem is guys have way to big egos to let this happen.

Say Durant or Lebron or Melo have like 50-55 points at half. I know if im the coach or players on the other team, That guy is getting triple teamed the rest of the game no questions with the other 2 guys keeping a sharp eye on him. Make someone else beat you.

It wont be done. Esp. With super teams with 2 or 3 or 4 all stars. Theres not enough shots

RealLiveBear
08-28-2012, 10:02 AM

Challenge

SeoulBeatz
08-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Nope.

asandhu23
08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Wilt hated this record. He liked his rebound record of 55 against Bill Russell.

KnicksorBust
08-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Not enough people actually realize the ridiculous circumstances of Wilt's 100. With about 4 minutes left, Wilt's coach Frank McGuire subbed his entire 5 except for Wilt and just began intentionally fouling the Knicks to stop them from slowing down the game and get the ball back to Wilt.

Can you imagine the outrage if this actually happened in with today's media coverage?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Not in today's game. But I have no doubt that if players in today's game played back then in Wilt's era, they would be able to score 100 or more.

mvb815
08-28-2012, 01:52 PM

comments like that'll make you lose your credibility

Losoway
08-28-2012, 02:23 PM
wilt was a giant playing amongst Centers who were point guard heights

No way it gets top

lakers4sho
08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
I mean, Kobe got 81 and didn't even get close in all reality, and that is with modern pace. So no, I don't think we will see it again at the NBA level.

He'd have a better shot if he played the 4th against the mavs.

THE MTL
08-28-2012, 02:49 PM
In today's terms i would say its impossible. Honestly i dnt know u stand around and let a guy score 100pts in the first place. I mean box him out, put 2 bodies on him, double-triple team him, play zone, deny ball, etc. Today's defense's are far too advanced to let something like this happen again.

THE MTL
08-28-2012, 02:50 PM

The most unbreakable record in the nba is Wilt Chamberlain's averaging 48.5 mpg in one season. Lol.

dhopisthename
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
The most unbreakable record in the nba is Wilt Chamberlain's averaging 48.5 mpg in one season. Lol.

also 50 pionts and 27 rebounds per game will be awful tought to beat

Kobe2324
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Kobe's performance was more impressive but as far as anyone reaching 100 will never happen, I would even say Kobe's record is also safe, I don't think a current player in this league could reach 81 let alone 100. But if I have to pick a player I say only Durant has a chance and I say that because he scores very easily with is size, reach and smooth shooting, I think he can get in the high 60s lower 70s perhaps although I don't think he ever will get in the 70s but potential is there.

Raider0510
08-28-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't know if it ever will you have to take into consideration the fact that there is way more talent in todays game than when wilt did it not to diminsh what he did especially because he did it wearing my warriors jersey but when he did it he did it as a seven footer against a bunch of Six footers and it took him three over times there was a guy on the other team that had almost 80 points himself

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 04:25 PM
comments like that'll make you lose your credibility

if that comment makes me lose any credibility that i possibly have then i dont need credibility. I truly dont believe kd will ever get 60. You can keep your credibility, I'll keep what I truly think.

lakers4sho
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't know if it ever will you have to take into consideration the fact that there is way more talent in todays game than when wilt did it not to diminsh what he did especially because he did it wearing my warriors jersey but when he did it he did it as a seven footer against a bunch of Six footers and it took him three over times there was a guy on the other team that had almost 80 points himself

:confused:

juggla53
08-28-2012, 10:02 PM
It could easily be done if the player gets hot early and then his teammates keep fouling the opposition to stop the clock to get the hot player more shots...just like they did for Wilt. Also, the opposition need to have the innate ability to fail to contest shots time and time again without being accused of letting him score points..

if it could easily be done then it would have already been done...

juggla53
08-28-2012, 10:07 PM
In today's terms i would say its impossible. Honestly i dnt know u stand around and let a guy score 100pts in the first place. I mean box him out, put 2 bodies on him, double-triple team him, play zone, deny ball, etc. Today's defense's are far too advanced to let something like this happen again.

very true, however people often forget that wilt (a historically awful free throw shooter) went 21-22 from the stripe that night

blastmasta26
08-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Not enough people actually realize the ridiculous circumstances of Wilt's 100. With about 4 minutes left, Wilt's coach Frank McGuire subbed his entire 5 except for Wilt and just began intentionally fouling the Knicks to stop them from slowing down the game and get the ball back to Wilt.

Can you imagine the outrage if this actually happened in with today's media coverage?
Lol I actually didn't know that. I knew Wilt was kept in to increase his scoring total, but not that they began to intentionally foul the Knicks. So that factor would make it impossible to reach 100, since it would be extremely controversial to do from a coach's perspective.

Also, possessions are usually much lower in modern day games as compared to Wilt's era, and defenses are more advanced. Kobe's 81 is just as difficult an achievement as Wilt's 100.

asandhu23
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM

dude.... do you want me to find the online post again?

Two of the NBA's greatest players, Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain, are often criticized for playing in a "weak" era. This is far from the truth, as the 1960s were a very good time for basketball. A much smaller league meant more competition for fewer spots. The fact that only the 121 best basketball players in the world could play in the NBA condensed the talent pool to nine teams. In the modern NBA, over half of the teams don't even have one all star player, nevertheless hall of famers. Examining the teams in the mid 1960s, all nine of them had Hall of Fame talents:

Boston Celtics: Bill Russel, John Havlicek, Sam Jones, Tommy Heinsolm
Cincinnati Royals: Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas
Philadelphia 76ers: Hal Greer
New York Knicks: Willis Reed
San Francisco Warriors: Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond
St. Louis Hawks: Bob Pettit
Los Angeles Lakers: Jerry West, Elgin Baylor
Detroit Pistons: David Bing, Dave Debusschere
Baltimore Bullets: Walt Bellamy

Russel and Chamberlain faced various legends on a nightly basis, yet still were known as the best players of their generation. Throughout the decade, the two were subject to strong competition Some of the great players Russel and Chamberlain faced included:

1960-1964:

Dolph Schayes
Bob Pettit
Walt Bellamy
Jerry Lucas

1965-1968:

Willis Reed
Elvin Hayes
Wes Unseld
Nate Thurmond

1969-1972:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Bob Lanier
Artis Gilmore
Billy Cunningham
Dave Cowens

One reason fans tend to lash out at these legends is the absurd stats of not only Russel and Chamberlain, but average players as well, as it was not uncommon for a player to average 15-20 rebounds per game. There are several reasons for the high rebound rates of these players:

a. A high tempo offense. The average team in 1965 shot about 600 more shots than a team in 1985 and about 1400 more shots than a team in 2005.

b. Less fouls called. In 1965, the average team had 2076 personal fouls per season. In 2005, 1856 personal fouls were called. But keep in mind that 1400 more shots were attempted, yet only 200 less fouls called. The result, a lowing field goal percentage, and more shots allowed to be rebounded.

When adjusting the field goal percentage to 45% and reducing the shots taken to the normal rate today, the rebounding rate drops to a more familiar rate for most players. Elgin Baylor would dropped to around 9 boards a game and Nate Thurmond to around 12. However, both Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain, even with the adjusted stats, still averaged between 16-20 rebounds per game, showing that they truly did dominate like few others.

Another common misperception is that Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain played against only 6'6" white centers. That is completely false. Here are the NBA players from 1960-1972 6'11" or taller who played at least 3 years in the NBA: (list does not include Wilt Chamberlain)

Kareem Abdul Jabbar: 7'2"
Dennis Awtrey: 6'11"
Walt Bellamy: 6'11"
Tom Boerwinkle: 7'0"
Nate Bowmen: 6'11"
Mel Counts: 7'0"
Walter Dukes: 7'0"
Jim Eakins: 6'11"
Ray Felix: 6'11"
Hank Finkel: 7'0"
Artis Gilmore: 7'2"
Swede Halbrook: 7'3"
Reggie Harding: 7'0"
Bob Lanier: 6'11"
Jim McDaniels: 6'11"
Otto Moore: 6'11"
Dave Newmark: 7'0"
Rich Niemann: 7'0"
Billy Paultz: 6'11"
Craig Raymond: 6'11"
Elmore Smith: 7'0"
Chuck Share: 6'11"
Ronald Taylor: 7'1"
Nate Thurmond: 6'11"
Walt Wesley: 6'11"

Two other factors to keep in mind:

a. The NBA was less interested in promoting itself 40 years ago, and therefore, did not see the need to measure players with their shoes on. Almost all players today are listed 1-2 inches taller than their actual height.

b. The NBA had 1/3 of the players that they do now. That means Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain faced these 25 guys 3 times more often than they would in the modern nba scheduling.

The truth is, height will never be more of a factor than skill. With several exceptions, players over 7' are typically not very successful. At a collegian level, only three 7 footers have made all-American first team in the last twenty years: Shaquille O'Neal, Andrew Bogut, and Chris Mihm. In this years all star game, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, and Chris Kaman were the only three of 30 players selected to be 7 feet, and all are known far more for their skill sets than dominating with size. If height was such a significant factor, then Manute Bol, Shawn Bradly, and Gheorghe Muresan would be hall of fame players, not just fan favorite scrubs.

The overall talent of the 1960s is greatly underestimated as well. The stamina that players in the 1960s have is far greater than anything seen today

1965 Top 3 in minutes played per game
1. Oscar Robertson, 45.6 mpg
2. Bill Russel, 45.2 mpg
3. Wilt Chamberlain, 44.4 mpg

2005 Top 3 in minutes played per game
1. Lebron James, 42.3 mpg
2. Allen Iverson, 42.3 mpg
3. Gilbert Arenas 40.9 mpg

In addition, teams never walked up the court and held the ball for 12

3 years ago
Report Abuse

Additional Details
seconds, and then have four players watch as the fifth tries to get to the hoop. Most teams in the 60s tried to get a fast break after every rebound and in the half court set, the ball moved and players were setting screens and cutting to the basket. Yet players were doing this on a nightly basis, without fancy trainers giving massages and various methods to help muscle recovery. In addition, players were far more versatile as Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Dave Debusschere, and other players could play 3 or 4 positions. Many performances that players had would be considered triple doubles in todays game, but assist rules were far stricter in the 1960s, as the average team in the 1960s made 1000 more field goals per year than a team in 2005, yet averaged 100 less assists.

The 1960s produced some of the leagues finest stars, and it is an absolute travesty that these legends are debunked for playing in a weak era when it is clearly not the case.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100224214633AAvvebd

shep33
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
No chance

asandhu23
08-28-2012, 10:26 PM
wilt was a giant playing amongst Centers who were point guard heights

No way it gets top

facepalm yourself. read my last post. stop with the ****ing myths, PSD. There should be a sports version of Mythbusters on this forum.

Will 2 BE
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
My feeling is that with todays level of play throughout the league we will not see it. If Kobe had played in the 60's (with a 3 point line) im sure he would have scored 100 or more. Wilt was a player ahead of his time, basketball players did not work on strength and athleticism like they do today.

I feel if Wilt was playing today he would have not come close to 100 points in a game, thats not taking anything away from his game. Its just that the competition is that much better.

Will 2 BE
08-28-2012, 10:36 PM
facepalm yourself. read my last post. stop with the ****ing myths, PSD. There should be a sports version of Mythbusters on this forum.

Wilt played against alot of talent but no one trained liked Wilt did, he really became the prototype for athletic big men.

GoPacers33
08-28-2012, 10:41 PM
No

Chill_Will_24
08-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Lebron COULD do it buy will never do it. He is a playmaker and prefers to break triple double records as opposed to scoring records. If he ever put his mind to scoring 100 and drove to the hole all game since he can do it at will, i can see him reaching the mark. Lebron would have to live at the line as well

mightybosstone
08-29-2012, 12:02 AM
A lot of records in sports were meant to be broken, but this isn't one of them. Chamberlain took 63 shots to get his 100 in a game where his team had 115 field goal attempts. That just does not happen in today's NBA. Sacramento lead the entire NBA last season with 86.5 attempts per game.

If anything, Kobe's 81 was more impressive because he did it against far superior athletes and shot a ridiculous 61% on 46 attempts with only 88 attempted field goals by that Laker team in the game. Also, Kobe played on a team where attempting half of the field goals was possible. There are few NBA teams that could be successful with the star player taking more than 50% of the shots in a game.

Unless NBA rules change significantly or the pace of the NBA speeds up a ton, it isn't likely that anyone comes close to 100 points. Kobe played maybe the greatest single regular season game anyone has ever played and only managed 81.

mrblisterdundee
08-29-2012, 12:17 AM
I don't think it will happen. Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 proves that the NBA was less competitive overall in his day, and he wouldn't be able to do the same today. Kobe Bryant's 81 was definitely more impressive, even if it was against Toronto. People need to get over thinking that these classic stars would be as dominant these days in a more competitive league. Even Michael Jordan in his prime would need to be part of a big three to win a championship in the 21st Century.

mrblisterdundee
08-29-2012, 12:26 AM
dude.... do you want me to find the online post again?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100224214633AAvvebd

Kwame Brown is 7 feet tall. Who's to say he's not better than half the people on that list you so prodigiously use?

J4KOP99
08-29-2012, 12:49 AM
When Kobe out scored the mavs through 3 quarters I actually thought he had a slight chance

RipCity32
08-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Not happening 100 was and is crazy.

Rentzias
08-29-2012, 01:48 PM
It'll happen. I can see an end of the season thing like Thompson and Gervin had happen, and we do have the three-point line now as well. 48.5 mpg for a season is probably the most unlikely to be broken.

Raidaz4Life
08-29-2012, 01:55 PM
When Kobe out scored the mavs through 3 quarters I actually thought he had a slight chance

really? didn't he only have like 62 through 3 quarters? You expected him to drop 38 in a quarter?

asandhu23
08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Kwame Brown is 7 feet tall. Who's to say he's not better than half the people on that list you so prodigiously use?

because that's Kwame Brown. Arguably one of the worst NBA players ever. almost all of the players mentioned on the list averaged double doubles on a consistent basis.

asandhu23
08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't think it will happen. Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 proves that the NBA was less competitive overall in his day, and he wouldn't be able to do the same today. Kobe Bryant's 81 was definitely more impressive, even if it was against Toronto. People need to get over thinking that these classic stars would be as dominant these days in a more competitive league. Even Michael Jordan in his prime would need to be part of a big three to win a championship in the 21st Century.

Jordan did have a big three. Him, Pippen and Rodman.

also really? those players back in the day were no scrubs. Wilt in his autobiography said that players back then didn't play easy. They would knock your teeth out.

Bruno
08-29-2012, 04:57 PM
only if the pace shoots back up to 1960's levels. 100 is just too much.

the only player in the league today even capable of dropping 70 points or more is kevin durant. and he'd have to be reigning threes all night, while going 19/20 from the line. (imo). but it won't happen because he'll never have a reason to hoist that many shots.

only reason we saw kobe cracking 60 in his peak was because his lineup was trash and nobody could score. the leagues most prolific scorers today are all on contenders, for the most part.

Jesse2272
08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Eddy Curry

BRADfromOZ
08-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Single game record? I don't know.

But all time records will be broken sooner or later. Technology will advance to a point that it will allow players to play much longer than they can now. This will give the superstar players of the time a better shot.
John Stockton missed only 22 games in his 19 year career. Now days I very much doubt, due to the evolution of the game and it being played at its current pace, that we will ever see the stars of the game having careers that long ever again.

RaiderLakersA's
08-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I hope someone does break the record, but I doubt it will happen in my lifetime. I also think Kobe's 81 is safe, to be honest.

That said, I don't ever want to second guess Mother Nature.

The human species continues to evolve. For ANY era, there was no one like Wilt, just as there is no one like Shaq or LeBron. All supremely gifted physical paragons that seemingly defy the laws of science. Who can say what will come out of the womb next, say, ten or twenty years from now. Hell, perhaps someone's girlfriend or wife is already about to give birth to the next God amongst giants. Only time will tell.