PDA

View Full Version : Cavs rookie Waiters admits he was out of shape coming into summer league

spreadeagle
08-27-2012, 06:26 PM
The Cavs made Waiters the fourth pick in the NBA Draft. On July 5, Waiters signed a four-year deal (two years, plus two team options) worth $16.7 million, according to wage scales in the new collective bargaining agreement.
DD: So youíve had a little taste of the NBA. How did you think the Summer League went?
DW: I played OK. I didnít play to my abilities, but Iíve approached that already and the reasons why. But Iím back, better than ever.

DD: Well, one of those reasons people were giving for your performance was that you were out of shape. And when you were at Syracuse and you were heavy, you werenít at your best, either. Do you think thereís a correlation there?
DW: Itís different for the NBA Draft, when you donít have to do nothing. It was a couple weeks between the draft and summer league. I still wasnít (in game shape). But now, you see me, thereís a big difference.

DD: If you thought you were in a fishbowl in Syracuse, when you get to the NBA, it gets worse.
DW: I went through the whirlwind already. Iíve been through it all since Iíve been drafted. The things they actually talk to you about, itís not real until you get there and I realize that. But everythingís cool now.

DD: Give me an example. What kinds of things did they talk to you about?
DW: You know, just how you give money to your family, they tend to ask you for a lot. But you gotta say Ďno.í They donít understand. They think you got it. I didnít even have a contract yet and they were asking me for money.
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2012/08/post_40.html

Vinny642
08-27-2012, 07:45 PM
One of the biggest flaws of him

Losoway
08-28-2012, 01:43 AM
out of shape rookie??? :facepalm:

Steelers23_06
08-28-2012, 02:40 AM
and people wanna bash the decision. the cavs are gonna look like detroit did with pick milicic this a deep draft. too bad they missed out. they dont make smart moves. even drafting kyrie was a dumb move just so happened they got lucky. i would never chance a player that only playe 11 college games...risky, high risk high reward

b@llhog24
08-28-2012, 02:57 AM
and people wanna bash the decision. the cavs are gonna look like detroit did with pick milicic this a deep draft. too bad they missed out. they dont make smart moves. even drafting kyrie was a dumb move just so happened they got lucky. i would never chance a player that only playe 11 college games...risky, high risk high reward

Luck plays a big role in drafting though.

Dade County
08-28-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm not going to jump all over the rookie... He will have plenty of time to prove himself.

RipCity32
08-28-2012, 03:18 AM
Pretty soon in his career to be admiting to that.

toovey107
08-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Still think he's going to be a beast.

Sadds The Gr8
08-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Still think he's going to be a bust.

fixed

Steelers23_06
08-28-2012, 03:45 AM
fixed

:up:

SugeKnight
08-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Harrison Barnes!

MackSnackWrap
08-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Harrison Barnes!

I feel like he will def be up there in the rookie of the year race. For some reason i feel like Davis will not win it. It could very well be a sleeper. Valanciunas :pray:

ccg34
08-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Cut him some slack. Im pretty sure most players right now are not in "game" shape. If he came into preseason like that, then that is a different situation.

toovey107
08-28-2012, 04:08 AM
fixed
Really don't care either way but I love his game. Dude knows how to score.

Steelers23_06
08-28-2012, 04:36 AM

so does kemba...your point?

GiantsSwaGG
08-28-2012, 05:25 AM

:facepalm:

pebloemer
08-28-2012, 08:39 AM

I wouldn't say drafting Kyrie was dumb at all. It's a shame they didn't have a bigger sample size of college ball in making a decision on him, but there wasn't really a better player available to them. Back when players were drafted out of high school you didn't have any college games to evaluate them by. And if you would "never chance" a drafting a player before seeing them in college, you'd miss out on JO, McGrady, LeBron, Garnett, Josh Smith, Kemp, Amare, Dwight, Kobe, etc.

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Wes Johnson and Jonny Flynn exclude, and excuse me from any rational opinion regarding a guard from Syracuse. In my opinion, he will suck big time. Total bust, and big time reach.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
I cant stand Syracuse so I dont really care how the hell he plays. I thought he was overrated in college, since I watched pretty much every game. And I thought he was overrated at the number 4 pick.

JNoel
08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
I thought Cavs should have traded up to try to get Beal. Waiters was projected to go pick 10+, he'll be a major bust. I would have even gone with Lilliard to play alongside Kyrie if they wanted a SG that bad...

b@llhog24
08-28-2012, 09:12 AM
wes johnson and jonny flynn exclude, and excuse me from any rational opinion regarding a guard from syracuse. In my opinion, he will suck big time. Total bust, and big time reach.
+1

Gram
08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Wes Johnson and Jonny Flynn exclude, and excuse me from any rational opinion regarding a guard from Syracuse. In my opinion, he will suck big time. Total bust, and big time reach.

Agreed. A week before the draft he wasn't a top ten pick. I love how Cleveland picked him though, that meant Drummond was falling to us, and Knight last year when they drafted Thompson. ;)

Longhornfan1234
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Dion Waiters on comparisons to Wade: It makes me work harder to be better than him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9w2QiBPl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I actually think he will. I love the kid's confidence. :worthy::worthy:

2-ONE-5
08-28-2012, 11:52 AM
anyone can say things like that ^. Wade would of never let himself fall out of shape

MrfadeawayJB
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
haha no suprise. He will prob be as good as Baron Davis was when he was in cleveland for his first year

Hawkeye15
08-28-2012, 11:57 AM
anyone can say things like that ^. Wade would of never let himself fall out of shape

exactly.

Longhornfan1234
08-28-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm not sure if you're serious. Pat Riley has thrown Wade under bus before because Wade came in out of shape.

Stinkyoutsider
08-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm not going to look down on him much for this so early in his career. We're not even talking about training camp. Yes, it would have been ideal for Waiters to be in shape but the most important thing about summer league is to get experience. He played, he sees how the game works at a higher level. And, he worked on his game skills. That's all I would want if I was a coach.

He's a rookie. He doesn't even know how the NBA schedule will affect him yet...

JWO35
08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm happy the Cavs picked Waiters over guys like Barnes & Robinson...I thought the Pistons were going to be in the Central basement but all that changed with the Cavs 4th pick

RipCity32
08-28-2012, 12:42 PM
I think they should have taken Lamb

0nekhmer
08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
idk man, i dont want to label him as another Vince (talent with no work ethic) but he clearly said "i had 4-6 weeks of doing nothing". Like if being in the NBA were his dream, and he finally made it, he should be conditioning himself and practicing even harder to show off a good first impression..

Jays Claw
08-28-2012, 02:19 PM
I was never really high on Waiters coming into the draft and was completely surprised when the Cavs reached. I doubt the kid lives up to the DWade comparisons let alone his own expectations.

spreadeagle
08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
idk man, i dont want to label him as another Vince (talent with no work ethic) but he clearly said "i had 4-6 weeks of doing nothing". Like if being in the NBA were his dream, and he finally made it, he should be conditioning himself and practicing even harder to show off a good first impression..

ya there is another part of that interview where he was doing a signing wearing:I made it" t shirts...seems like hes a bit content with having been drafted so high and is in cruise control already, never know though, look at Roy Hibbert, dropped the weight became a beast

spreadeagle
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
ya there is another part of that interview where he was doing a signing wearing an "I made it" t shirt...seems like hes a bit content with having been drafted so high and is in cruise control already, never know though, look at Roy Hibbert, dropped the weight became a beast

king4day
08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I think he's gonna finish top 5 in ROY voting. The guy can score and this year he'll be given a bigger chance to.

toovey107
08-29-2012, 04:10 AM
so does kemba...your point?

Gah there's a reason I don't come in here. I obviously feel he can be an effective playmaker. I hated Kemba Walker coming out and he sucks.

:facepalm:

And once again, that's why I stay away from here. What does this even mean?

b@llhog24
08-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Dion Waiters on comparisons to Wade: It makes me work harder to be better than him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9w2QiBPl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I actually think he will. I love the kid's confidence. :worthy::worthy:

:eyebrow:

I think they should have taken Lamb

+1