PDA

View Full Version : The True NBA Superstars

AndyfromNeptune
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
This is a very arbitrary of dictating the "true" NBA superstars, but you have to admit, there is a correlation between people's ability to recognize a firstname and stardom.

In basketball, growing up as a kid, whenever someone said "Michael", everyone knew that he/she was talking about Jordan.

Everyone knows Shaquille, Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Dwight by their first names without even asking their last names.

What other superstars can get this distinction in basketball? Am I wrong for thinking that this a way of measuring NBA stardom?

lookie8
08-26-2012, 02:13 PM
This is a very arbitrary of dictating the "true" NBA superstars, but you have to admit, there is a correlation between people's ability to recognize a firstname and stardom.

In basketball, growing up as a kid, whenever someone said "Michael", everyone knew that he/she was talking about Jordan.

Everyone knows Shaquille, Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Dwight by their first names without even asking their last names.

What other superstars can get this distinction in basketball? Am I wrong for thinking that this a way of measuring NBA stardom?

Rajon, Serge, Pau, Dirk, Tyson, Demarcus, Tyreke, Lamarcus, Andrea, Mirza, Chase, Caron?

StarvingKnick22
08-26-2012, 02:13 PM
oops you said melo, wheres the popcorn i wanna see this..

D-Leethal
08-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I think a lot of it has to with the unique first names you just listed. How many LeBron's, Kobe's, and Carmelo's have you heard of in this world?

A lot with MJ was because hes pretty much a basketball God, but the whole Nike 'wanna be like Mike' campaign had a lot to do with it.

You don't say 'Chris' and know your talking about CP3. Its not because hes not a superstar, its more because theres 50+ NBA players named Chris.

topdog
08-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I think it's a mistake to assume widely-recognized first name = superstardom

Most of these guys have name that no else has or has had in the league. How many Kobes or Lebrons have there been? How many Carmelos? But Kevin, that's a common name so people might ask McHale or Garnett? That is if they're not a Rockets fan and start talking about Kevin Martin.

naps
08-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Yes, you are wrong.
What do you mean by everyone?
When someone said said "Michael" it was Michael Jackson throughout the world, not Jordan.

AndyfromNeptune
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
But I'm not talking about very good players like Dirk or Paul Pierce. I'm talking about the greatest players in our league..Kobe..Dwight..Lebron

AndyfromNeptune
08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Yes, you are wrong.
What do you mean by everyone?
When someone said said "Michael" it was Michael Jackson throughout the world, not Jordan.

In the basketball world it was Jordan.

sp1derm00
08-26-2012, 02:33 PM
But I'm not talking about very good players like Dirk or Paul Pierce. I'm talking about the greatest players in our league..Kobe..Dwight..Lebron

Dirk belongs in that convo of our "greatest players" in the league.

He's been hovering in and out of the Top 5 for a while.

StinkEye
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
what does this have to do with being a Superstar? Because someone recognizes you doesn't mean you're a Superstar, it means you're popular.

JNoel
08-26-2012, 02:51 PM
The only superstars in today's game are:

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
Wade
healthy Rose

these are the players that can single-handedly take over the team without any help

Lake_Show2416
08-26-2012, 02:54 PM

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
healthy Wade
healthy Rose

these are the players that can single-handedly take over the team without any help

Fixed & u can add CP3 & Dwight too

Evolution23
08-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Melo a superstar? "ZOMG he's a overrated selfish chucker who only got out of the 1st round once."

Lakeshow24KB
08-26-2012, 03:15 PM
^Yup.

BKdoubleStacker
08-26-2012, 03:20 PM

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
Wade
healthy Rose

hmmmm

tapajafri
08-26-2012, 03:35 PM
sometimes we forget how relevant/good some star players were because of their generic names. For example, Kevin Johnson was a freakin stud in the 90's.... but it seems like there are a million Kevin Johnsons in the world, so some ppl forget how great KJ was or the younger kids don't know much about him.

JordansBulls
08-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Jordan
Bird
Magic
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Oscar
West
Shaq
Hakeem
Ewing
Robinson
Duncan
Malone
Stockton
Payton
Drexler
Reggie
Penny
Zo

Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Lebron
Durant
Rose
Dwight

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 03:55 PM
It's a subjective term.

Blue_Ninja
08-26-2012, 03:58 PM

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
Wade
healthy Rose

Don't think Rose should be on that list imo

mavsman81
08-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Fixed & u can add CP3 & Dwight too

Dirk belongs on this list

DR_1
08-26-2012, 05:30 PM
I call Omer Asik "Omer" sometimes, does that mean he's a superstar? No. I agree with the guy who pointed out the unique first names, whoever that was. :cheers:

SportsFanatic10
08-26-2012, 05:35 PM
right now i'd say the true superstars in no order are:

Lebron
Durant
Kobe
Wade
Howard
Cp3
Dirk

with Rose/Westbrook/Dwill/Love/Melo all close.

Rylz
08-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Most of these guys have name that no else has or has had in the league. How many Kobes or Lebrons have there been? How many Carmelos? But Kevin, that's a common name so people might ask McHale or Garnett? That is if they're not a Rockets fan and start talking about Kevin Martin.

^This.

There are five Kevins in the NBA right now, three of whom could arguably be considered superstars: Durant, Garnett, and Love. (I should make it known here that I consider only Durant to be playing at a superstar level at the moment. Garnett is no longer there, and Love is not there yet.) But you never hear any of them just called "Kevin."

Other players, like Raja Bell, are arguably called more by their first name than their last, but you wouldn't call him a superstar. His first name's simply unique (for instance, everyone knows who I'm talking about when I say Spud, Mookie, or Muggsy).

Perhaps the best example is Bill Russell. He's got more titles than anyone in history, but I've yet to hear someone refer to him as just "Bill." What about these ones?
John: Stockton or Havlicek?
Tim: Duncan or Hardaway?

It's not so simple as that.

Dade County
08-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Only 3 Super stars in the league ( Global )

Lbj, Kobe, Wade

Then their are the NBA stars

KD, Howard, Rose, Melo, Dirk, Cp3...etc

Then their are allstar players ( You know, the all star game )

DoMeFavors
08-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Everyone knows Durant and Rose now

LJEATON26
08-26-2012, 10:18 PM
My definition of superstar means you have to be bigger then the game. A person that people who don't regularly follow the sport can recognize. Which limits it down to a few. Mainly Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Dirk, Howard, Wade.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-26-2012, 11:35 PM

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
Wade
healthy Rose

Iv heard 500 reasons why carmelo isn't a superstar, but your reason is not one of them lol. Carmelo Anthony was 19 years old when he lead the Nuggets to the playoffs from 15 wins the year prior to his arrival.

ClearSoulForce
LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Dwyane Wade
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Dirk Nowitzki
Kobe Bryant

Deron, Rose, and Rondo are close. (Rose here just cause his injuries)

And I don't get why people give Wade so much ****. He is the 3rd best player imo and easily still top 5. How many guards do you know that can drop 30 points efficiently, rebound over anyone on either side of the floor, make the great pass, block Dwight Howard at the rim, and score from anywhere on the floor, efficiently?

Aust
oops you said melo, wheres the popcorn i wanna see this..

Apologize to Melo 5 :cool:

jerellh528
08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
the only SUPERSTARS are
kobe
lebron
durant
dwight
cp3

DR_1
08-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Wade a superstar and Rose not :laugh::laugh::laugh:

MackSnackWrap
08-27-2012, 12:03 AM
fixed & u can add cp3 & dwight too

this!

ClearSoulForce
08-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Wade a superstar and Rose not :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Call me when Rose gets drafted by the worst team in the NBA and 3 years later has probably the greatest Finals series and wins a ring. Wade did have help from the refs but it is still the best Finals performance.

JNoel
08-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Iv heard 500 reasons why carmelo isn't a superstar, but your reason is not one of them lol. Carmelo Anthony was 19 years old when he lead the Nuggets to the playoffs from 15 wins the year prior to his arrival.

I was referring to those players because they have all made it deep into the playoffs, or have won it all for that matter. Melo can be considered for that list but not quite a superstar accolade.

kblo247
08-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Jordan
Bird
Magic
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Oscar
West
Shaq
Hakeem
Ewing
Robinson
Duncan
Malone
Stockton
Payton
Drexler
Reggie
Penny
Zo

Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Lebron
Durant
Rose
Dwight

No Iverson or McGrady? They were huge, had Reebok and Addidas shoe and appeal lines and global draws in their primes regardless of how their later years ended.

Kidd, KG, and JO were also big time names in the early 00s. Everyone knew Kidd and how he turnd around the Nets in those b2b finals runs and was a triple double magnet. Everyone knew the Big Ticket in Minny. Everyone also knew JO in Indy as he anchored a pernnial contender, was a multiple time all star, and one of the best two way PF/Csin the league.

TheSource
08-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Carter, anyone?

IndyHeatjman
08-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Carter, anyone?

I'll agree that Carter was once a superstar in the league...especially with the "Honey Dip" in the Dunk contest...and has been an All-Star multiple times. Always entertaining to watch in these games with all the Alley-Oops and throwdowns he does. But i believe most people, including myself, refer to him as VC. Some may say Jeremy Lin is a superstar(NO ONE SHOULD!), but it was Vinsanity way before Linsanity.

waveycrockett
08-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Melo a superstar? "ZOMG he's a overrated selfish chucker who only got out of the 1st round once."

I agree with this

Heediot
08-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Only 3 Super stars in the league ( Global )

Lbj, Kobe, Wade

Then their are the NBA stars

KD, Howard, Rose, Melo, Dirk, Cp3...etc

Then their are allstar players ( You know, the all star game )

Rofl Wade is no more a superstar than guys in the 2nd tier.

dee279
08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
I think a lot of it has to with the unique first names you just listed. How many LeBron's, Kobe's, and Carmelo's have you heard of in this world?

A lot with MJ was because hes pretty much a basketball God, but the whole Nike 'wanna be like Mike' campaign had a lot to do with it.

You don't say 'Chris' and know your talking about CP3. Its not because hes not a superstar, its more because theres 50+ NBA players named Chris.

This my friend, is a smart reply. Took the words out of my... Fingers.

goose14741
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM

LeBron
Durant
Kobe
Wade
healthy Rose

ur just a hater if u don't add melo, did u watch any knicks games last year? essppecially april? Diddnt have much help did he

Stinkyoutsider
08-27-2012, 12:16 PM
It depends on what context we're talking about for being a recognizable superstar...

People who are NBA fans, which might or might not be outside of our country, would see guys like Chris Paul and Kevin Garnett superstars even with their common names. It's because we know them and watch them on a daily basis.

Players like Lebron and Kobe are superstars because of what they've done on the court and what they've done off the court. With a lot of these guys marketing themselves and their brands globally now, the fans all around the world know these guys.

I think, for people outside the US, they want to accept guys like MJ because he's won so much and because of his brand (and Nike/Gatorade pushing him as well).

Sixerlover
08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
ur just a hater if u don't add melo, did u watch any knicks games last year? essppecially april? Diddnt have much help did he

He's made it out of round 1 1 time in 9 seasons. Has been swept in 4 1st rounds and only won 1 game in the other 4 losses. He's no superstar.

Lebron
Kobe
Durant
Wade
Howard
CP3

are my current superstars in the league. Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all time and was a superstar, but is out of his prime.

iliketurtles24
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM

or love!

JNoel
08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
He's made it out of round 1 1 time in 9 seasons. Has been swept in 4 1st rounds and only won 1 game in the other 4 losses. He's no superstar.

Lebron
Kobe
Durant
Wade
Howard
CP3

are my current superstars in the league. Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all time and was a superstar, but is out of his prime.

This. If Melo can make deep into the playoffs and also becomes a more efficient player, then he can be in consideration for being a superstar but until then he is at the next tier of players which includes Love, Deron Williams, Bosh, Westbrook, Rondo, ect.

8kobe24
08-27-2012, 05:14 PM

This is your perception of things so I won't argue. When players are called by first name, it's because they are great players, they become a "household" name. Often, we hear the TV commentators call the players by their first name, and fans pick that up pretty quick.

PS, I dunno about you, but back in the day when I heard "Michael", people usually referred to Michael Jackson.:D hee-hee

Edit: Lebron and Kobe should be the last to be called by first names. Now we got Durantula, CP13, DRose, etc.

seikou8
08-28-2012, 01:07 AM
This. If Melo can make deep into the playoffs and also becomes a more efficient player, then he can be in consideration for being a superstar but until then he is at the next tier of players which includes Love, Deron Williams, Bosh, Westbrook, Rondo, ect.

:facepalm:

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 11:53 AM
:facepalm:

you should of just facepalmed bosh, the other players are atleast close.

BobbyHillSwag
08-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Jordan
Bird
Magic
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Oscar
West
Shaq
Hakeem
Ewing
Robinson
Duncan
Malone
Stockton
Payton
Drexler
Reggie
Penny
Zo

Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Lebron
Durant
Rose
Dwight

cmon i know i defend iverson through whatever but he was a way bigger star than anyone on the bottom list besides lebron and kobe. Iverson was a true superstar, that's not even opinion that's fact. He's just getting flat out disrespected now.

koreancabbage
08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
right now,

Kobe Lebron Durant Dwight CP3

I think this is the general consensus.

my cousins from asia only really know these guys right now.

Munkeysuit
08-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Yao.....

koreancabbage
08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Yao.....

he was.

koreancabbage
08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
cmon i know i defend iverson through whatever but he was a way bigger star than anyone on the bottom list besides lebron and kobe. Iverson was a true superstar, that's not even opinion that's fact. He's just getting flat out disrespected now.

AI was a superstar back then.

koreancabbage
08-28-2012, 12:47 PM
This is your perception of things so I won't argue. When players are called by first name, it's because they are great players, they become a "household" name. Often, we hear the TV commentators call the players by their first name, and fans pick that up pretty quick.

PS, I dunno about you, but back in the day when I heard "Michael", people usually referred to Michael Jackson.:D hee-hee

Edit: Lebron and Kobe should be the last to be called by first names. Now we got Durantula, CP13, DRose, etc.

or last names. lol when people say Jordan, even to this day, it means Michael Jordan.