PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd says Melo top 5 in the world

Pages : [1] 2

BklynKnicks3
08-26-2012, 12:38 AM
according to some he is top 15 u got some explaining to do, Maybe Jason kidd argubaly highest iq player ever doesnt know what he talkin about?

Utd7
08-26-2012, 12:40 AM
It's only his opinion. Opinion varies from person to person. Just because he thinks so doesn't mean its matter of fact.

Hellcrooner
08-26-2012, 12:41 AM
he needs to start taking medication.
he is going senile.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 12:43 AM
In b4 he was probably drinking when he said it.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Um. 1. Its an opinion, 2. Talent wise he is right, production wise no he was 12-15.
3.What is he supposed to say?

Dade County
08-26-2012, 12:44 AM
If Kid would have said this while he was in Dallas, then I could have called him a MAD MAN then; but he is only saying this because he is on the Knicks, so he is just trolling.

He's just being a good team mate and playing to the Ny media.

DoMeFavors
08-26-2012, 12:44 AM
This shouldnt be a thread maybe if he said someone like Ellis but Melo did start the past 2 all star games

LTBaByyy
08-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Melo used to be overrated, now he is underrated!

Top 10 for me

LTBaByyy
08-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Top 10 currently (#9 or #10), Top 5 if he plays defense.

greg_ory_2005
08-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Well they play on the same team. So of course he'll say something like that.

bucketss
08-26-2012, 12:49 AM
he was probably drunk when he said this.

bucketss
08-26-2012, 12:52 AM
durant lebron paul kobe dwight <--- only a crack head would say melo is better than any of those five guys left out wade because people are saying he will decline heavily this seasons after knee surgery.

dtmagnet
08-26-2012, 12:53 AM
This shouldnt be a thread maybe if he said someone like Ellis but Melo did start the past 2 all star games

Right because that matters...

NYKnicks4511
08-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Top 10 currently (#9 or #10), Top 5 if he plays defense.

Pretty much this, give or take a couple slots. Top-5 talent for sure.

Knicks21
08-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Imo.

JNoel
08-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Lebron
Durant
Wade
Kobe
Healthy Rose
Howard are players surely better than Melo..

Lakers + Giants
08-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Players that are better than him without a doubt.

Lebron
Durant
Wade
Dwight
CP3

That's already 5 right there.

other players that are still better IMO

Westbrook
Love
Kobe
Rose

Nothing wrong with 10th best.

PC
08-26-2012, 01:09 AM
I doubt Kidd makes this statement if he's still on the Mavs.

Melo's a fringe top 10 player and you'd have to be a delusional homer to call him a top 5 player

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Melo has the talent to be better up there with Bron and Durant. He has never put it all together but the talent is there but right now goinginto the year I can easily name 10players better
Bron,Durant,Howard,Wade,Rose,Paul,Love,Kobe,Westy, Parker,Drik (in no order) With a couple others that might be.

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 01:10 AM
this shouldnt be a thread. jason kidd is just stating the obvious. It's like making a jordan is top 3 player of all time thread. no point we already know he is

LA_Raiders
08-26-2012, 01:12 AM
We all know kidd has drinking problems... give him a break

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:15 AM
You are all late i was in way b4 the drinking jokes.

bucketss
08-26-2012, 01:16 AM
this shouldnt be a thread. jason kidd is just stating the obvious. It's like making a jordan is top 3 player of all time thread. no point we already know he is

melo isn't a top 5 player though.

MackSnackWrap
08-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Age is catching up to Mr. KiDD

jimm120
08-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Um. 1. Its an opinion, 2. Talent wise he is right, production wise no he was 12-15.
3.What is he supposed to say?

I agree with you partly.

Talent-wise, he's definitely top 5. But production-wise, he's only top 10.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:24 AM
I agree with you partly.

Talent-wise, he's definitely top 5. But production-wise, he's only top 10.

I believe he we be top 7 this year, but coming off last year he was 12-15 IMO.

The goods
08-26-2012, 01:26 AM
If Kid would have said this while he was in Dallas, then I could have called him a MAD MAN then; but he is only saying this because he is on the Knicks, so he is just trolling.

He's just being a good team mate and playing to the Ny media.

Exactly what I was going to say

TRUTH-TELLER
08-26-2012, 01:27 AM
sure he will say that they are team mates now. if he said it when he was in dallas maybe it would be believable

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Carmelo anthony will be the best player in the league this year. Ive bookmarked

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:36 AM
If melo is even top 3 I will be :dance: :drunk: :cheer: :drool: for the whole year :dance2:

DreamShaker
08-26-2012, 01:38 AM
He is top 5 in pure scoring talent.

MTar786
08-26-2012, 03:23 AM
current top 5

1. lebron
2. durant (wil surpass lebron by 2015 latest imo)
3. kobe (expected to decline even more from his previous #1 ranking) hopefully doesnt
4. wade (expected to decline too)
5a. dwight
5b. paul

LakersMaster24
08-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Man, Alzheimer's is a terrible thing to get at old age.

Chacarron
08-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Melo is one of my favorite players in the NBA but he is no top 5 player.

ThunderousDemon
08-26-2012, 03:54 AM
Jason Kidd is going senile

Raidaz4Life
08-26-2012, 03:55 AM
What's with JKidd giving his own version of the PSD top 50? First Rondo now Melo?

jam
08-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Realistically top 15. His conditioning has always been subpar compared to the other top players. He's having a pina colada and steak burrito as we speak. :)

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Im sure a ton of other players think this as well. Most of the superstars see Melo as one of them.

flatbush knicks
08-26-2012, 04:20 AM
lmao he is top 5 or 6 kobe's not top 5 no more lmao neither is wade dwight howard is not better then melo it's more like lebron durant cp3 drose melo

Dashone0one
08-26-2012, 06:06 AM
His opinion

Alayla
08-26-2012, 07:24 AM
this is the same guy that thinks rondo is the best pg in the nba.

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Im sure a ton of other players think this as well. Most of the superstars see Melo as one of them.

this bro, melo is a top player to everyone in the league. His skill set is simply amazing. The best triple threat position scorer in the nba.

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 08:22 AM
this is the same guy that thinks rondo is the best pg in the nba.

yawn, he doesnt have espn to just watch all day so im taking his opinion over someone on this board all day every day. Rondo is indeed top 3 pg in the league though. Especially with rose injured.

RLundi
08-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Kidd is ABSOLUTELY right.

His math is a little off though, he left off the zero at the end.

RLundi
08-26-2012, 08:26 AM
lmao he is top 5 or 6 kobe's not top 5 no more lmao neither is wade dwight howard is not better then melo it's more like lebron durant cp3 drose melo

:laugh2:

Just, no.

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Kidd is ABSOLUTELY right.

His math is a little off though, he left off the zero at the end.

nah he wasnt talking about top 50 players ever, he was talking about right now and he was right.

tredigs
08-26-2012, 08:27 AM
according to some he is top 15 u got some explaining to do, Maybe Jason kidd argubaly highest iq player ever doesnt know what he talkin about?
Haha? OK I'll take the bait.

I'll take objective analysis and years of watching the guy over a wife-beating-drunk teammates never-before-uttered fake opinion on Melo.

Melo's never seen the Conference finals, and as a #1 in his current situation that won't change. I'd wager big on that if someone wants to set up a bet via a secure escrow acct.

WickedBadMan
08-26-2012, 08:28 AM
What a shock that he finally came to this revelation once joining New York!

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 08:29 AM

I'll take objective analysis and years of watching the guy over a wife-beating-drunk teammates never-before-uttered fake opinion on Melo.

Melo's never seen the Conference finals, and as a #1 in his current situation I can't see how that changes.

shut the **** up, there's always a ***** that want to bring up people's history. It's fun because they dont know your history, of bringing lil boys in vans and your meth labs.

knicks=love
08-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Right because that matters...

:laugh:

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 08:30 AM
I dont see how anyone is this stupid though really, that wasnt the main point of his statement, he just threw it out there. He was just saying how he was gonna make things easier on melo. Stop trolling trolls.

FraziersKnicks
08-26-2012, 08:43 AM
:cry: Why do some Knicks posters continue to give the good one's a bad name...

I love Melo as much as any Knicks fan, talent wise, you can definitely argue for top 5. Actual play? He can realistically be placed anywhere between 8-12 and in some people's eyes he could drop to 15 ish.. I'm hoping he comes out this season fully focused and establishes himself as a top 10 player without doubt, but we'll have to see.

Please ignore some of the Knicks fans who have him top 5, because he's not. LeBron, Durant, Howard, CP3, Wade, Kobe and Love are all better, although I don't think it's completely out of the question he could surpass Kobe and Wade this season if they start to show their age.

But for now, I personally have him around 8-10, but can accept anything down to 12.

BobbyHillSwag
08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
:cry: Why do some Knicks posters continue to give the good one's a bad name...

I love Melo as much as any Knicks fan, talent wise, you can definitely argue for top 5. Actual play? He can realistically be placed anywhere between 8-12 and in some people's eyes he could drop to 15 ish.. I'm hoping he comes out this season fully focused and establishes himself as a top 10 player without doubt, but we'll have to see.

Please ignore some of the Knicks fans who have him top 5, because he's not. LeBron, Durant, Howard, CP3, Wade, Kobe and Love are all better, although I don't think it's completely out of the question he could surpass Kobe and Wade this season if they start to show their age.

But for now, I personally have him around 8-10, but can accept anything down to 12.

no one cares if you get a bad name, it's their opinion grow some balls. "oh god im scared of people making fun of us on teh interwebz" seriously? The only person making you look bad is yourself. If people group everyone together because of a couple of people than they are the stupid ones and you are the stupid one for even caring. Good day sir.

Big Zo
08-26-2012, 09:01 AM
He beat his wife 5 minutes after he said this.

29$JerZ
08-26-2012, 09:03 AM
The Melo in April is a top 5 player.
The Melo for an entire season is a fringe top 11 player.
Talent is there, the actual production isn't.

BklynKnicks3
08-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Players that are better than him without a doubt.

Lebron
Durant
Wade
Dwight
CP3

That's already 5 right there.

other players that are still better IMO

Westbrook
Love
Kobe
Rose

Nothing wrong with 10th best. melo would doodooo on wade he fell of kevin love lol westbrook lolol

tredigs
08-26-2012, 09:21 AM
shut the **** up, there's always a ***** that want to bring up people's history. It's fun because they dont know your history, of bringing lil boys in vans and your meth labs.

Hahah nice! Randomly call someone a meth addicted child rapist. Stay classy San Diego.

Listen kid, I like J. Kidd as a player - but he's a verified and notorious wife beater and a drunk, and the OP acting like his newly formulated opinion on Melo should not be disputed is just funny to most of us. Let's just say that his motives are questionable at best. Nobody should respect anything Jason Kidd says at this point; He's the anti-hero and a teammate talking up a new teammate is nothing new.

Anyway, bet offer stands. Moving on - -

StarvingKnick22
08-26-2012, 09:30 AM
wow so much hate for us, its just i dont understand why you guys have to hate so much... just say "i Disagree" and move along. but no, you just have to stay and bait until the thread is burried. good for you guys.

Blitzbolt
08-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Melo is to fat and out of shape to be in the top 5 and don't even get me started on his defense he is one if not the worst defender at his position.

knicks=love
08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
:laugh2: at Westbrook a top 6 player. Dudes got like a basketball IQ of -7

tredigs
08-26-2012, 09:47 AM
wow so much hate for us, its just i dont understand why you guys have to hate so much... just say "i Disagree" and move along. but no, you just have to stay and bait until the thread is burried. good for you guys.

You're not going to get too much sympathy for the New York Knicks or their fanbase bud. Look at the original post for this thread if you need to understand why. Never have such monumental historic underachievers been so LOUD in pro sports; both team wise and fan wise. It's hilarious to be honest. Running joke.

tredigs
08-26-2012, 09:52 AM

For what it's worth, a higher PER the last two seasons than Melo has ever had in his career (higher WS/48 than he's ever had too). He's also helped lead a team to the NBA finals and has never missed a game in his career. Essentially, a winner. And better than Melo.

jp611
08-26-2012, 09:58 AM
An nba player said it about his own teammate so it must be true

netsgiantsyanks
08-26-2012, 10:04 AM
double standards :laugh2:

bradyoverrated
08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
thats a very generous compliment about Fab Melo, coming from a guy that has likely never seen him play. As a celtics fan, i just hope Fab Melo can make a solid contribution as a role player. If he is a top-5 player, the celtics will be much more successful than i ever imagined

the unknown
08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Melo should be a top 5.. he is talented enough.. but he needs to make his team mates better and need to lock down on d.. but for sure he is a top 5 talent

netsgiantsyanks
08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
thats a very generous compliment about Fab Melo, coming from a guy that has likely never seen him play. As a celtics fan, i just hope Fab Melo can make a solid contribution as a role player. If he is a top-5 player, the celtics will be much more successful than i ever imagined

lulz.

the unknown
08-26-2012, 10:16 AM
You're not going to get too much sympathy for the New York Knicks or their fanbase bud. Look at the original post for this thread if you need to understand why. Never have such monumental historic underachievers been so LOUD in pro sports; both team wise and fan wise. It's hilarious to be honest. Running joke.

Jets Knicks Mets and rangers are usually the talk of their sports outside the champs and teams from L.A.

Its just because of the fan base.. you always expected to do well with ****** rosters ... common man

Quietmoney
08-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Melo should be a top 5.. he is talented enough.. but he needs to make his team mates better and need to lock down on d.. but for sure he is a top 5 talent

And who the hell does Durant make better?? Take him off that very well rounded team and surround him with average to below average players, and his team won't make the playoffs. People talk about Melo not making his teammates better when Durant helps his teammate much less. Durant does nothing for Westbrook or anyone else for that matter. He's a catch and shoot player that plays off of his teammates.

lookie8
08-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Not sure that there is any player in the NBA more full of crap than Jason Kidd.

Quietmoney
08-26-2012, 10:25 AM
And I find it hilarious that the posters on here have more say on basketball than a future hall of fame point guard that has one of the highest basketball iq's of this generation. Smfh. One thing I could clearly see during team USA was a pecking order of talent and impact on the game as far as the players are concerned. They had Melo on much bigger players on defense and he was the best scorer in the world during the Olympics. Team USA showed everyone's skill set, and Melo's offensively and defensively was better than Durant.

tredigs
08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Jets Knicks Mets and rangers are usually the talk of their sports outside the champs and teams from L.A.

Its just because of the fan base.. you always expected to do well with ****** rosters ... common man

Haha well - one thing is not like the others here...

Nobody talked about the Rangers until they proved themselves to be the best team in the American League over the past few seasons. They essentially are champs. The other three are only relevant on headlines because they happen to play where many people live; they haven't made a real impact on the league over any other run of the mill teams in ages.

And I find it hilarious that the posters on here have more say on basketball than a future hall of fame point guard that has one of the highest basketball iq's of this generation. Smfh. One thing I could clearly see during team USA was a pecking order of talent and impact on the game as far as the players are concerned. They had Melo on much bigger players on defense and he was the best scorer in the world during the Olympics. Team USA showed everyone's skill set, and Melo's offensively and defensively was better than Durant.

Wasn't a better scorer than KD - and shrunk when the big game happened. Stop being the predictable NY fan and taking facts as 'hate'. That said, I was definitely impressed with Melo for a stretch there. He showed up big for a few games.

lookie8
08-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Kidd said he was gonna back-up Deron Williams this season, didn't he?

Kidd was the worst GM the Nets ever had, and that is saying something.

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 10:45 AM
So, Rondo is the best PG, and Melo is top 5 in the world. I now have serious doubts about Kidd's so called "basketball IQ".

jp611
08-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Durant and Westbrook are both better than Carmelo

If you think differently, you clearly don't understand stats or you don't watch basketball without your Spike Lee homer glasses on

knicks=love
08-26-2012, 10:47 AM
For what it's worth, a higher PER the last two seasons than Melo has ever had in his career (higher WS/48 than he's ever had too). He's also helped lead a team to the NBA finals and has never missed a game in his career. Essentially, a winner. And better than Melo.

I never said anything about melo being a top 5 player. But I'll assume you thought that because I'm a Knicks fan. All I said is that Westbrook is not a top 6 player. I don't think he's a smart player at all. Sure he's good but you have to play smart as well and he doesn't do that. And Westbrook did not lead that team to the finals. That's durants team 100%.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Pretty much any logical Knick fan knows Melo has the talent to be up there with the best but his production hasn't showed up for a whole season. He has these stretches where you go oh wow thats a top 5 player For ex April :nod:. Lets see if he truley comes in focused and has a whole year of the April performance.

RLundi
08-26-2012, 12:02 PM
nah he wasnt talking about top 50 players ever, he was talking about right now and he was right.

Cano4prez
08-26-2012, 12:03 PM

And he's still better than Melo :laugh2:

Sactown
08-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Looks like J-Kidd and Tyson Chandler have something in common.. they both love to overrate their teammates!

IndyRealist
08-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Players with high basketball IQ on the court that are horrible at evaluating talent:

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Isaiah Thomas
Kiki Vandeweighe
Danny Ferry
Joe Dumars
Jalen Rose
Chris webber

....and now, Jason Kidd.

I'm sure I missed several. Be sure to add to the list any high basketball IQ former players who have screwed your team.

RLundi
08-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Would you be saying this if the Knicks' logo wasn't your avatar?

Durant is better than Melo, and there's really no discussion about it. Idk what it is with Melo, maybe he isn't motivated enough to sustain his effort and production over the course of a season.

But thus far, Melo hasn't proven his skill set is better than Durant's on any level.

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Players with high basketball IQ on the court that are horrible at evaluating talent:

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Isaiah Thomas
Kiki Vandeweighe
Danny Ferry
Joe Dumars
Jalen Rose
Chris webber

....and now, Jason Kidd.

I'm sure I missed several. Be sure to add to the list any high basketball IQ former players who have screwed your team.

To be fair, Thomas was very good at evaluating talent in the draft. He just sucked the big one when it came to overpaying average free agents.

Losoway
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Melo is top 3

Lebron Durant Melo Dwight Kobe

Losoway
08-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Isaiah Thomas
Kiki Vandeweighe
Danny Ferry
Joe Dumars
Jalen Rose
Chris webber

....and now, Jason Kidd.

chris webber...Thomas...Bird........MAGIC...JALEN...Are all good at seeing talent stop trolling

IndyRealist
08-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Pretty much any logical Knick fan knows Melo has the talent to be up there with the best but his production hasn't showed up for a whole season. He has these stretches where you go oh wow thats a top 5 player For ex April :nod:. Lets see if he truley comes in focused and has a whole year of the April performance.

This. He's not as bad defensively as people make him out to be, and when he stops hoisting contested 20ft jumpers and plays within a system (read: plays PF), Melo is a load for any team to handle.

tredigs
08-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Isaiah Thomas
Kiki Vandeweighe
Danny Ferry
Joe Dumars
Jalen Rose
Chris webber

....and now, Jason Kidd.

Executive/Coach of the Year Larry Bird? He transformed the entire Indiana Pacers organization in his first year coaching. Then maintained it. Let's not lump him in with J. Kidd. He's the best player/coach/executive combo in history. Any sport.

RLundi
08-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Melo is top 3

Lebron Durant Melo Dwight Kobe

No disrespect, but this statement demonstrates your lack of real basketball knowledge.

Melo is barely a top 10 player, but he doesn't even sniff top 5 with a highly-trained German Shepherd.

SouthSideRookie
08-26-2012, 12:14 PM
no one cares if you get a bad name, it's their opinion grow some balls. "oh god im scared of the whole country making fun of us on teh interwebz, sports radio etc.."seriously? The only person making you look bad is yourself. If people group everyone together because of a couple of people than they are the stupid ones and you are the stupid one for even caring. Good day sir.

Fixed it for you.

RLundi
08-26-2012, 12:16 PM
chris webber...Thomas...Bird........MAGIC...JALEN...Are all good at seeing talent stop trolling

:confused:

Sactown
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Melo is top 2

DeMarcus
Melo
Lebron
Paul
Kobe
Tyreke KD

IndyRealist
08-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Did you just say Isaiah Thomas is good at evaluating talent? Like Jerome Jordan, Eddy Curry, Channing Frye, Jared Jeffries, Michael Sweetney and Mardy Collins? The guy who ran up a $100 million payroll for a decade long lottery run?

I suspect you don't know what you're talking about.

da wood
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
I think he is top 5. Next to Kobe he has the most complete game in the nba.

knicks=love
08-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Did you just say Isaiah Thomas is good at evaluating talent? Like Jerome Jordan, Eddy Curry, Channing Frye, Jared Jeffries, Michael Sweetney and Mardy Collins? The guy who ran up a $100 million payroll for a decade long lottery run?

isiah was a terrific drafter. he was just bad at pretty much everything else..

netsgiantsyanks
08-26-2012, 12:34 PM

the one thing isiah can do well is draft talent.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Isiah was one of the greatest GM's ever.. the owners just screwed him up

D2theJ
08-26-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm sure he'd say Dirk was top 5 when he was on the Mavs.

IndyRealist
08-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Executive/Coach of the Year Larry Bird? He transformed the entire Indiana Pacers organization in his first year coaching. Then maintained it. Let's not lump him in with J. Kidd. He's the best player/coach/executive combo in history. Any sport.

Larry hit on two players: Paul George and Roy Hibbert. Paul George was pretty much a no brainer. He whiffed on Shawne Williams (when Rajon Rondo was on the board and we needed a PG), Brandon Rush, Lance Stephenson (so far), and Tyler Hansbrough (so far). The Miles Plumlee pick has been universally panned (though I don't think it's THAT bad), and we bought the rights to Orlando Johnson who looks like he'll be out of the league in two years (while players like Will Barton, Jae Crowder, Jeff Taylor, Draymond Green, Doron Lamb, and Kim English were on the board. I'd bet at least 4 of the 6 I named will outlast Orlando in the league.)

He passed on Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza (which we could have gotten for cap space and a protected 2nd round pick), who ended up in Washington (for Rashard Lewis' $13M buyout). That would have made any subsequent moves by Walsh and Pritchard unnecessary (trading a starting caliber PG and our best defensive and 3pt shooting wing for a redundant C who we could have signed outright as a free agent, signing worse players (Augustin and Green) to replace the players we traded away, etc.).

So directly due to Bird, our bench is
Augustin/Stephenson/Green/Hansbrough/Plumlee/Mahimni
instead of
Collison/Jones/Ariza/Hansbrough/Okafor/Jeff Taylor.................../Stephenson in a suit

(And yes, Collison was unhappy. But we could have traded him for other pieces, like a backup PF or another PG or even a pick)

javaid64
08-26-2012, 12:51 PM

when he was on the mav's though dirk was top 5 until maybe a year ago...

IndyRealist
08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
the one thing isiah can do well is draft talent.

People keep saying that. Who did Isaiah draft besides Michael Sweetney and Mardy Collins? (Not a Knicks fan so I couldn't tell you.)

Sactown
08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
when he was on the mav's though dirk was top 5 until maybe a year ago...

Dirk has never been more than fringe top 5 player at his position..:facepalm:

StarvingKnick22
08-26-2012, 12:56 PM
i love it when someone trying to be smart, fails. lol

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-26-2012, 12:58 PM
lol Jason Kidd would make a terrible analyst. First saying Rondo is the best PG and now this, wow. Carmelo is barely top 15.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Isaiah Thomas
Kiki Vandeweighe
Danny Ferry
Joe Dumars
Jalen Rose
Chris webber

....and now, Jason Kidd.

Bird just won best executive of the year, I wouldn't put him in that list.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 12:59 PM
lol Jason Kidd would make a terrible analyst. First saying Rondo is the best PG and now this, wow. Carmelo is barely top 15.

22 :nod:

Sactown
08-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Melo is easily the 2nd best player in the league and was robbed of MVP in 07 and in 09.... SMDH :facepalm: Jason Kidd is easily the best PG ever... of course he can evaluate talent.. and btw Rondo is a top 5 player and easily the current best PG :mad:

IndyRealist
08-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Bird just won best executive of the year, I wouldn't put him in that list.

Most of the improvement the Pacers had can be attributed to two things, young players getting better and firing Jim O'Brien. He definitely hit on Roy Hibbert, but he had quite a few misses.

nycsports2
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
def top 10 top 5 is arguable.. im gonna go top 10 for now but i think he has the best yr of his career this upcoming season

RLundi
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Melo is easily the 2nd best player in the league and was robbed of MVP in 07 and in 09.... SMDH :facepalm: Jason Kidd is easily the best PG ever... of course he can evaluate talent.. and btw Rondo is a top 5 player and easily the current best PG :mad:

Man are you trolling hard and trying to get a rise out of someone foolish enough to respond to you.

... Oh wait, damn it.

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 01:10 PM

Melo's never seen the Conference finals, and as a #1 in his current situation that won't change. I'd wager big on that if someone wants to set up a bet via a secure escrow acct.

:whistle:

Well he doesn't post on this forum so are we supposed to wait until he signs up of something? :confused:

That's because Dirk was top 5.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Man are you trolling hard and trying to get a rise out of someone foolish enough to respond to you.

... Oh wait, damn it.
Trollin is for newbz like Kobe

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Sactown knows what he is talking about :dance2:

Sactown
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Sactown knows what he is talking about :dance2:

I'm a PSD guru :dance2:

tredigs
08-26-2012, 01:23 PM
:whistle:

True, totally forgot about the Nuggets run that year. He did make it once, but I'd argue that was Billups running that show.

dodie53
08-26-2012, 01:35 PM
pimping aint easy Jason

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 01:39 PM
True, totally forgot about the Nuggets run that year. He did make it once, but I'd argue that was Billups running that show.

It's cool, it kind of gets lost in the shuffle with all those first round exits. I agree that Billups was better than Melo as well one of his better playoff runs, maybe even the best? Quick question, who had the better playoff run? 08-09 Carmelo or 2010-2011 Durant?

SteBO
08-26-2012, 01:41 PM
You're not alone. I'm on that train........

Why are Knick/Melo fans getting so damn sensitive in this thread? Carmelo Anthony is what he is, a scorer and not much else. And please stop using "oh he's a future Hall of Famer" crutch in regards to Kidd's "opinion". It isn't the first time a role player gets traded to a team with an all-star player, and then goes on to praise him as something bigger than he really is. Terry did it with Rondo last week. CJ Watson did it with Deron Williams a month or so ago. Same ****, different day. Melo hasn't done a damn thing to warrant the "top 5 player" label. He went to WCF once in his career in 2009, and since then he's been bounced in the first round. I mean, I don't understand why you're continuing to fight this especially without providing statistical facts to back up such claims.

LeBron, Durant, Dwight, CP3, Wade, Rose(healthy), Kobe, Westbrook; all players I would easily take over Carmelo. Why? They do different things on the floor besides score, and if you're going to throw Durant in my face in that regard, guess what: He's does exactly what Melo does, but more efficiently. I would for once like to hear somebody make an argument for Melo being better than any one of these players listed without blatant homerism. I'm waiting......

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Melo had help but he dominated in that run. And gave Kobe and the Lakers a run for there money.

thedfactor
08-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Top 5 offensively talented without a doubt. All-around player, nope.

Losoway
08-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Melo proves he is in the top 5 year in and year out

Losoway
08-26-2012, 01:59 PM

judging by all the people that agreed with me . i think i do know what im talking about

isiah thomas is great at drafting and seeing talent .

Evolution23
08-26-2012, 02:02 PM
It's true

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Dwight
4. CP3?
5. Melo

Losoway
08-26-2012, 02:02 PM
LEBRON - DURANT - MELO - DWIGHT -KOBE ARE ALL HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST OF THE NBA

thats a fact .the level of disrespect in this thread is scary

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 02:03 PM
You're not alone. I'm on that train........

Why are Knick/Melo fans getting so damn sensitive in this thread? Carmelo Anthony is what he is, a scorer and not much else. And please stop using "oh he's a future Hall of Famer" crutch in regards to Kidd's "opinion". It isn't the first time a role player gets traded to a team with an all-star player, and then goes on to praise him as something bigger than he really is. Terry did it with Rondo last week. CJ Watson did it with Deron Williams a month or so ago. Same ****, different day. Melo hasn't done a damn thing to warrant the "top 5 player" label. He went to WCF once in his career in 2009, and since then he's been bounced in the first round. I mean, I don't understand why you're continuing to fight this especially without providing statistical facts to back up such claims.

LeBron, Durant, Dwight, CP3, Wade, Rose(healthy), Kobe, Westbrook; all players I would easily take over Carmelo. Why? They do different things on the floor besides score, and if you're going to throw Durant in my face in that regard, guess what: He's does exactly what Melo does, but more efficiently. I would for once like to hear somebody make an argument for Melo being better than any one of these players listed without blatant homerism. I'm waiting......

add Dirk, Love, Rondo, and Gasol to this as well for me. Melo goes right around there. Your post is spot on, and I really am getting sick and tired of seeing Knicks fans get so defensive about any possible criticism of their players.

Chronz
08-26-2012, 02:03 PM
The same kidd that puts rondo above all pgs?

Evolution23
08-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Melo proves he is in the top 5 year in and year out

People only hate Melo because he plays in New York.

Evolution23
08-26-2012, 02:04 PM
The same kidd that puts rondo above all pgs?

Who's better than Rondo except maybe CP3?

lookie8
08-26-2012, 02:06 PM
People only hate Melo because he plays in New York.

So, a top 5 player AND the defensive player of the year at Center.

Knicks must have gone far in the playoffs.

Losoway
08-26-2012, 02:08 PM
if melo played for La....we would have a thread about him every hour

leprechaun5
08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
add Dirk, Love, Rondo, and Gasol to this as well for me. Melo goes right around there. Your post is spot on, and I really am getting sick and tired of seeing Knicks fans get so defensive about any possible criticism of their players.

melo isn't top 5 but if you think westbrook ,gasol and rondo are better than him .... :facepalm:

naps
08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
More like top 15. Ofcourse Kidd will make these statements now since they are teammates. I am sure Kidd was laughing hard inside when he said it.

SteBO
08-26-2012, 02:12 PM
melo isn't top 5 but if you think westbrook, gasol and rondo are better than him .... :facepalm:
Not getting why you're facepalming. Those players do more than just help their respective teams score, which definitely includes the other side of the floor.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 02:18 PM
On a serious note Melo is anywhere from top 10 to about 15 and I don't understand when people say he's a "top 5 talent" to me, being a top 5 talent means you can affect the game in more than just one way, which is what all the greats do... when Melo isn't shooting well he doesn't contribute at all, his defense is lack luster and his numbers prove it, he doesn't have great vision or play making ability, and he doesn't stop shooting either..

To be top 5 in my book means you do it on both ends consistently and you don't need to score to impact the game I.E

Lebron (scoring, rebounding, play making, defense, leadership)
Dwight (Scoring, rebounding, insane shot blocking)
Durant (scoring, plays within the offense, defense, rebounding)
Kobe (Defense, scoring, leadership)
CP3 (Leadership, play making, scoring, defense)

And I can't say anything more for Melo than versatile scorer who is a ball stopper.
Melo is always going to get his at any expense, and it seems that means even if they're going to lose the game.

I don't dislike Melo, I just take him for what he is, a versatile high volume scorer, who doesn't commit to making his team better by being a leader or someone who commits to defense.

Losoway
08-26-2012, 02:21 PM
On a serious note Melo is anywhere from top 10 to about 15 and I don't understand when people say he's a "top 5 talent" to me, being a top 5 talent means you can affect the game in more than just one way, which is what all the greats do... when Melo isn't shooting well he doesn't contribute at all, his defense is lack luster and his numbers prove it, he doesn't have great vision or play making ability, and he doesn't stop shooting either..

To be top 5 in my book means you do it on both ends consistently and you don't need to score to impact the game I.E

Lebron (scoring, rebounding, play making, defense, leadership)
Dwight (Scoring, rebounding, insane shot blocking)
Durant (scoring, plays within the offense, defense, rebounding)
Kobe (Defense, scoring, leadership)
CP3 (Leadership, play making, scoring, defense)

And I can't say anything more for Melo than versatile scorer who is a ball stopper.
Melo is always going to get his at any expense, and it seems that means even if they're going to lose the game.

I don't dislike Melo, I just take him for what he is, a versatile high volume scorer, who doesn't commit to making his team better by being a leader or someone who commits to defense.

kevin durant defense is terrible . :facepalm::facepalm:

topdog
08-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Considering top 4 on most people's lists is something like: Lebron - Durant - Dwight - Paul

Melo would still have to beat out guys like Kobe, Wade and Dirk who all have championship rings and regularly see late post-season action.

97NYer
08-26-2012, 02:25 PM
LeBron, Durant, then it's a toss up between guys like Kobe, Melo, CP3, healthy Rose, and Dwight. If you go by olympic production and the end of last season, I would say that's either Melo or CP3. Either way I don't think it's farfetched for Melo to be top 5. Matter of fact I think the top 5 is LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Melo and CP3 with Dwight and Rose being injured.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 02:27 PM
kevin durant defense is terrible . :facepalm::facepalm:

Kevin Durant in the last 3 seasons has posted no lower than 3.3 DWS

Melo has never collected more than 3.0 in a season in his career...

Da Knicks
08-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Just stating the obvious which psd cannot accept, to many nerds that probably never played...

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
What I mean when I say top 5 talent (in response to sac town sorry couldnt quote you) is he has the ability to be an above average defender, the best scorer in the game and he rebounds great. He hits the offesnive boards just as good as any other SF in the game. He has a great passing ability, last year was the first year I saw him find open players all the time. He does have a solid Ast to TO ratio. He has the talent to be a 20-10-5 guy Like my Man Walt frasier says but I expect 25-7-3 or 4 from him. I expect him to bounce back and go back in the top 10.

justinnum1
08-26-2012, 02:34 PM
lmao

top 15

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
The prop machine at MSG is spinning early this season.

At a given month of his choosing Melo can score like a top 5 talent in the world. Other than that, top 5 player in the league? he's not in that conversation. No one is starting a franchise building around Melo. He's a high scoring inefficient option. Very immensely talented, but nothing more than a scorer.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 02:42 PM
LeBron, Durant, then it's a toss up between guys like Kobe, Melo, CP3, healthy Rose, and Dwight. If you go by olympic production and the end of last season, I would say that's either Melo or CP3. Either way I don't think it's farfetched for Melo to be top 5. Matter of fact I think the top 5 is LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Melo and CP3 with Dwight and Rose being injured.

In my book it's

Lebron/KD/D12/ MAGIC COUSINS are elite players

CP3, Kobe, Wade, Love, Rose are superstars

BG, Bosh, Dirk, LMA, Pau, Deron, Rondo, Melo, Bynum, Westbrook are all stars

and I'm sure there's many more that qualify for "stars" but that means to me that Melo is fighting to just be the 10th best player in the league.. I don't think he's capable of achieving much more than that next season and even that will be a struggle

Kashmir13579
08-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Top 5 chucker.

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 02:46 PM
perfect description.

flatbush knicks
08-26-2012, 02:51 PM
ok instead of saying melo is top 5 how about we put it like this for the trolling retards players that melo is better then d12 kobe wade westbrook wade rondo
so that makes it lecon durant cp3 d rose melo

flatbush knicks
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Top 5 chucker.

:facepalm: no i think lin will take that title next year

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
better "then"?

Evolution23
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM

what has Kevin Love done in his career to be a deserving superstar. Has he even made he playoffs once? Wolves fans need to relax...

Evolution23
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Top 5 chucker.

yeah but your boy Andy Routins is a beast...

Chronz
08-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Who's better than Rondo except maybe CP3?

Those guys who beat him to make the olympics

bucketss
08-26-2012, 03:18 PM
ok instead of saying melo is top 5 how about we put it like this for the trolling retards players that melo is better then d12 kobe wade westbrook wade rondo
so that makes it lecon durant cp3 d rose melo

hell no.

flatbush knicks
08-26-2012, 03:21 PM
hell no.

lmao hell yeah d12 is overrated HE HAS NO OFFENSIVE GAME HOW CAN YOU BE TOP 5 WITH NO OFFENSIVE GAME:facepalm: kobe's as old a rocks and wade hasn't been the same player a couple of years now

Pierzynski4Prez
08-26-2012, 03:27 PM
I wonder if he would say the same thing if he was not on the Knicks.

bucketss
08-26-2012, 03:28 PM
lmao hell yeah d12 is overrated HE HAS NO OFFENSIVE GAME HOW CAN YOU BE TOP 5 WITH NO OFFENSIVE GAME:facepalm: kobe's as old a rocks and wade hasn't been the same player a couple of years now

dwight has an offensive game wth are you talking about? you havent watched him much have you? umm wade hasn't been the same for a couple years? he was two games away from being finals mvp last year and put up 23 5 5 in the playoffs this year:facepalm: and kobe nearly won a scoring title this year old man can still score on anyone in the league anytime he wants

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 03:32 PM
what has Kevin Love done in his career to be a deserving superstar. Has he even made he playoffs once? Wolves fans need to relax...

He is the superior player is why. At this point, Love is more productive at the only thing Melo does well, score the basketball.

Has nothing to do with being a Wolves fan, unlike many on this site, a players team has fairly little outcome on how I evaluate them.

smith&wesson
08-26-2012, 03:37 PM
top 10 for sure. i have him at around 6 or 7

lebron
durant
howard
paul
rose
wade
melo

flatbush knicks
08-26-2012, 03:42 PM
dwight has an offensive game wth are you talking about? you havent watched him much have you? umm wade hasn't been the same for a couple years? he was two games away from being finals mvp last year and put up 23 5 5 in the playoffs this year:facepalm: and kobe nearly won a scoring title this year old man can still score on anyone in the league anytime he wants
i lived in orlando for like 8 years i've seen d12 since he was a rookie dude has no offensive game outside of dunking:facepalm: kobe had no help all year and is a even bigger chucker then carmelo ofcourse he almost led the league in scoring:facepalm: and i never really thaught wade was better then melo but his athleticism is already leaving and wade has never gotten out the first round without the help of shaq or lebran:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 03:44 PM
i lived in orlando for like 8 years i've seen d12 since he was a rookie dude has no offensive game outside of dunking:facepalm: kobe had no help all year and is a even bigger chucker then carmelo ofcourse he almost led the league in scoring:facepalm: and i never really thaught wade was better then melo but his athleticism is already leaving and wade has never gotten out the first round without the help of shaq or lebran:facepalm:

If you used periods as often as you use facepalms, your posts might be readable.

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 03:47 PM
If you used periods as often as you use facepalms, your posts might be readable.

I was thinking the exact same thing. But to be quite honest that's only a small part of his posts problems.

seikou8
08-26-2012, 03:51 PM
knew this thread would get ugly getting my popcorn and enjoying this movie
i mean i tried to argue but its funny on both sides of the agrument.

flatbush knicks
08-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. But to be quite honest that's only a small part of his posts problems.

i'm glad i got fans :clap:

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
i'm glad i got fans :clap:

you are unique I'll give you that.

KnickaBocka.44
08-26-2012, 03:54 PM

You shouldn't bring up Kobe's last season when arguing against Melo, they had pretty similar years in terms of production.

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 03:56 PM
insulting a PSD member = dumb

insulting a PSD mod = ???

ryang
08-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Not top 5.. oh and id much rather have Wade on my team then mello..

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 03:58 PM
You shouldn't bring up Kobe's last season when arguing against Melo, they had pretty similar years in terms of production.

They did have similar production honestly. Kobe will continue to get credit however for being Kobe, where as Melo has never been regarded as a top 5-7 player.

KnickaBocka.44
08-26-2012, 03:58 PM
You're all also forgetting that Melo is the most clutch player in the game.

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
insulting a PSD member = dumb

insulting a PSD mod = ???

Your sig. :drool:

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
they did have similar production honestly. Kobe will continue to get credit however for being kobe, where as melo has never been regarded as a top 5-7 player.

+1

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:02 PM

I would like you to statistically prove that please

tredigs
What I mean when I say top 5 talent (in response to sac town sorry couldnt quote you) is he has the ability to be an above average defender, the best scorer in the game and he rebounds great. He hits the offesnive boards just as good as any other SF in the game. He has a great passing ability, last year was the first year I saw him find open players all the time. He does have a solid Ast to TO ratio. He has the talent to be a 20-10-5 guy Like my Man Walt frasier says but I expect 25-7-3 or 4 from him. I expect him to bounce back and go back in the top 10.

Eh - Ast:TO ratio is just about 1:1 for him most seasons or slightly better, he's par for the course at SF there. Shawn Marion, Thaddeus Young and Rudy Gay are all better offensive rebounders at SF - Melo doesn't crack the top 50 overall, but he's pretty solid there.

Still, never been top 10 in his career in PER or Win Shares. Never been a factor in an MVP race, never been to the NBA Finals (was arguably the 2nd best player the one time he made the conference finals), 0 All NBA 1st team selections. 3rd best SF on the Olympic team. And actually never led the league in any stat whatsoever.

"Ability and potential" no longer apply to players entering their 10th season. There really is no case at all for Melo as a top 5 player. Calling him top 10 is a tough argument to make.

I'd take:
Lebron
KD
Cp3
Howard
Deron Williams
Westbrook
Rose
Kobe
Wade
Blake Griffin
Love
Bynum

all over Melo if I had a choice next season. Despite the superstar name and points he can put up in flurries he's no more impactful than guys like Rondo, Lemarcus Aldridge or even KG still (who was one of the 5 best defensive players in the league last year and still has a better WS/48 than Melo). But, that's his tier. 13-17th best in the league. He's just an enigma to homer fans because every so often he'll go on a hot stretch and play like a top 3 player in the league and he IS indeed great at closing a game if he's got the ball for a last second shot (other side of the ball in that scenario, not so much). Those moments are a mirage, though. He can't maintain it. If he could it would've happened by year 10.

Hawkeye15

No he isn't. He is the best on last second shots, per stats, but clutch, if the term is real, encompasses much more then just a last second shot.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:03 PM
He is the superior player is why. At this point, Love is more productive at the only thing Melo does well, score the basketball.

Has nothing to do with being a Wolves fan, unlike many on this site, a players team has fairly little outcome on how I evaluate them.
I agree I have love in my 2nd tier stars while Melo is in my 3rd tier

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:04 PM
No he isn't. He is the best on last second shots, per stats, but clutch, if the term is real, encompasses much more then just a last second shot.

not this argument again.. I did enough looking into clutch stats

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 04:04 PM
I agree I have love in my 2nd tier stars while Melo is in my 3rd tier

I saw your tier system, and I have zip issue with it.

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 04:05 PM

I mean, Melo runs away with % of last second shots made, but that first off has no context, and if "clutch" is even a real concept, it encompasses so much more.

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Your sig. :drool:

Thanks homie :cool:

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Eh - Ast:TO ratio is just about 1:1 for him most seasons or slightly better, he's par for the course at SF there. Shawn Marion, Thaddeus Young and Rudy Gay are all better offensive rebounders at SF - Melo doesn't crack the top 50 overall, but he's pretty solid there.

Still, never been top 10 in his career in PER or Win Shares. Never been a factor in an MVP race, never been to the NBA Finals (was arguably the 2nd best player the one time he made the conference finals), 0 All NBA 1st team selections. 3rd best SF on the Olympic team. And actually never led the league in any stat whatsoever.

"Ability and potential" no longer apply to players entering their 10th season. There really is no case at all for Melo as a top 5 player. Calling him top 10 is a tough argument to make.

I'd take:
Lebron
KD
Cp3
Howard
Deron Williams
Westbrook
Rose
Kobe
Wade
Blake Griffin
Love
Bynum

all over Melo if I had a choice next season. Despite the superstar name and points he can put up in flurries he's no more impactful than guys like Rondo, Lemarcus Aldridge or even KG still (who was one of the 5 best defensive players in the league last year and still has a better WS/48 than Melo). But, that's his tier. 13-17th best in the league. He's just an enigma to homer fans because every so often he'll go on a hot stretch and play like a top 3 player in the league and he IS indeed great at closing a game if he's got the ball for a last second shot (other side of the ball in that scenario, not so much). Those moments are a mirage, though. He can't maintain it. If he could it would've happened by year 10.

Meh on the first one. Hell no on the second one, and Meh on the 3rd bolded. if he played like he did from may 28th on Id love to see a case made against him being a top 5 player. No chance do you have one. His problem is he hasnt played like that. When Motviated he wont be stoped and can play solid D. He has the talent to be great. I have melo around 12-15 range going into the year so I can gree with 13-17 range. Melo needs to play consistant and he will be top 10 once again. Are you saying he hasn't been top 10 ever in his career?

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
I mean, Melo runs away with % of last second shots made, but that first off has no context, and if "clutch" is even a real concept, it encompasses so much more.

Melo hasn't had a dominant playoff run to make me think he's extremely clutch
and Melo owns like under 3 seconds, unless you remove shots that had no chance to begin with, then Kobe takes it, and then if adjust the time or where the shots are taken or the score difference or anything else then it changes again.... to hard to determine and looking at just 3 seconds or under isn't fair to anyone

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
He dominated on his run to the WCF.^

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Meh on the first one. Hell no on the second one, and Meh on the 3rd bolded. if he played like he did from may 28th on Id love to see a case made against him being a top 5 player. No chance do you have one. His problem is he hasnt played like that. When Motviated he wont be stoped and can play solid D. He has the talent to be great. I have melo around 12-15 range going into the year so I can gree with 13-17 range. Melo needs to play consistant and he will be top 10 once again. Are you saying he hasn't been top 10 ever in his career?

If you isolate every players hot stretch then where does Melo fall?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-26-2012, 04:12 PM

With a lot of help from Chauncey and his supporting crew...

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:12 PM

Lol Im saying if he did that for a whole year there wouldn't be a case for him not to be top 5. It has not been seen for a whole year so I guess that point is invalid. :.(

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:13 PM
With a lot of help from Chauncey and his supporting crew...

I agree but he played great.

KniCks4LiFe
08-26-2012, 04:15 PM

% shooting wise he was in 08/09 he was the most clutch shooter in the league. Not any time before or after that. He is top 5-10 in that category.

WAYNEBO
08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Melo boards better than Durant, just not as auto from 3pt land. He's stronger in the paint. If Durant and Melo had a LeBaby, it'd be Ts up.

b@llhog24
Lol Im saying if he did that for a whole year there wouldn't be a case for him not to be top 5. It has not been seen for a whole year so I guess that point is invalid. :.(

No I'm just saying if he's a top 10-15 player, then wouldn't the hot stretches that the superior players put up look better than his own? Even when comparing his hot stretch to what Durant, Bron, Cp3 and Dwight do for their teams on a game to game basis he's still probably below them.

Hawkeye15
Melo hasn't had a dominant playoff run to make me think he's extremely clutch
and Melo owns like under 3 seconds, unless you remove shots that had no chance to begin with, then Kobe takes it, and then if adjust the time or where the shots are taken or the score difference or anything else then it changes again.... to hard to determine and looking at just 3 seconds or under isn't fair to anyone

well, we will agree to disagree. You don't get a pass for taking horrific attempts and missing them just because of the level of difficulty. If it was THAT bad of a shot, chances are someone else had a much better look and you decided "eff them, I am Kobe!"

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:18 PM
No I'm just saying if he's a top 10-15 player, then wouldn't the hot stretches that the superior players put up look better than his own? Even when comparing hot stretch to what Durant, Bron, Cp3 and Dwight do for their teams on a game to game basis he's still probably below them.

I agree, even when he is hot he is behind those 4. Melo is a good player but he isnt at any of those 4 guys level. Those 4 change the game on both sides of the ball and make their teamates better.

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Way up there. That is why Melo has so many supporters. He goes on 20 game runs where he tears apart everything in his path. But, he then goes 20 games not guarding anyone and pouting because his shot isn't falling. The "selective memory" thing I always bring up dictates the defensiveness his fans have many times.

seikou8
08-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Way up there. That is why Melo has so many supporters. He goes on 20 game runs where he tears apart everything in his path. But, he then goes 20 games not guarding anyone and pouting because his shot isn't falling. The "selective memory" thing I always bring up dictates the defensiveness his fans have many times.

:clap: this is what i was thinking this perfect way to describe melo i

bucketss
08-26-2012, 04:23 PM

if you live in orlando than open your eyes when your watching him, his strength and athelicism alone makes him a dominate scorer and in the past 2-3 yrs he has shown he has some pretty nice post moves. also when wade didn't have shaq or lebron tell me who was his 2nd best player? jermaine oneal? marion? mark blount was getting minutes this one year:facepalm:

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:24 PM

yeah... a per of 24.3 is alright with a WS/48 of .201 It's fairly decent, not enough to name you the most clutch in the game.

bucketss
08-26-2012, 04:25 PM

in regular season games,charity games and the olympics i agree.

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Yea I know. I'm a huge Melo fan but I just accept him for what he is, a streaky scorer who can play defense while motivated. Doesn't mean I have to go sticking him in my top 5 though.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:26 PM
well, we will agree to disagree. You don't get a pass for taking horrific attempts and missing them just because of the level of difficulty. If it was THAT bad of a shot, chances are someone else had a much better look and you decided "eff them, I am Kobe!"

I was talking about shots beyond 60 feet... not arguing Kobe going lone wolf

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:28 PM
yeah... a per of 24.3 is alright with a WS/48 of .201 It's fairly decent, not enough to name you the most clutch in the game.

:shrug: he was the most feared player on the Nuggets and gave Kobe's a run for his money with the better team. Hes ot the most clutch in the game but final shot he is up there with Paul,Durant,Kobe.

Hawkeye15
Yea I know. I'm a huge Melo fan but I just accept him for what he is, a streaky scorer who can play defense while motivated. Doesn't mean I have to go sticking him in my top 5 though.

Motivated. That has, and always will be the reason for Melo never being on the THE elite in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
I was talking about shots beyond 60 feet... not arguing Kobe going lone wolf

why the hell are you arguing about shots over 60 feet haha?

tredigs

Blake's good dude. And I think he makes the standard year 3 jump that superstars normally put together. 20+/10+/3+ on >50% from the field both seasons, a PER and WS/48 higher than Melo has ever recorded. We'll see if he commits more defensively or not. But yeah I'd say he was absolutely better than Melo last year and I don't think that changes at any point in the future.

Ever top ten? Debatable, but probably between 06-10 he was in the argument. Definitely offensively, but he's never even been top 75 defensively. Look at how good KD is defensively at this point, or when 'Bron was young + sucked defensively; they put in the work and made it happen on that end. Takes monster effort, and he never put it in. That's the biggest reason why I argue so many others over him from a true impact standpoint. You can get away with that if to a degree if you're a PG and somewhat at SG, but not at forward.

Statistically definitely never top 10. Just scored a lot on average efficiency.

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:29 PM

I'm not sure what PER and WS/48 have to do with his clutchness on that run. He was pretty clutch from what I remember.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:30 PM
why the hell are you arguing about shots over 60 feet haha?

I was arguing against an article where the writer just looked up game ending shots with the score down one. I think if you're really looking for a "clutch gene" you'd have to eliminate shots over half court as those wouldn't refer to skill but rather dumb luck and it actually did adjust the pecking order of the percents..

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Blake's good dude. And I think he makes the standard year 3 jump that superstars normally put together. 20+/10+/3+ on >50% from the field both seasons, a PER and WS/48 higher than Melo has ever recorded. We'll see if he commits more defensively or not. But yeah I'd say he was absolutely better than Melo last year and I don't think that changes at any point in the future.

Ever top ten? Debatable, but probably between 06-10 he was in the argument. Definitely offensively, but he's never even been top 75 defensively. Look at how good KD is defensively at this point, or when 'Bron was young + sucked defensively; they put in the work and made it happen on that end. Takes monster effort, and he never put it in. That's the biggest reason why I argue so many others over him from a true impact standpoint. You can get away with that if to a degree if you're a PG and somewhat at SG, but not at forward.

Statistically definitely never top 10. Just scored a lot on average efficiency.

Im not a fan off Griffin. Im hard on Melo sometimes but Id take him over Griffin right now. On Defense ofcourse not, he was below average untill last year when he jumped up to average. He isnt top 10 now he is 12-15 but I believe he can go back to top 10. In 08-09 He was around 7-9, Idk man we will see what he does this year.

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I was arguing against an article where the writer just looked up game ending shots with the score down one. I think if you're really looking for a "clutch gene" you'd have to eliminate shots over half court as those wouldn't refer to skill but rather dumb luck and it actually did adjust the pecking order of the percents..

well, that is such a ridiculously low level of those attempts dude, cmon. The ball is automatically moved to the frontcourt on a TO, of which every coach in the NBA would take if they only had 3 seconds to go, down 1-2.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure what PER and WS/48 have to do with his clutchness on that run. He was pretty clutch from what I remember.

I was talking about dominating every game, all game, because in the playoffs every possession is clutch...

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:34 PM
:shrug: he was the most feared player on the Nuggets and gave Kobe's a run for his money with the better team. Hes ot the most clutch in the game but final shot he is up there with Paul,Durant,Kobe.

I'm not going to say it :)

Motivated. That has, and always will be the reason for Melo never being on the THE elite in the NBA.

That why it's really sad that he's my second favourite player :sigh:

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:34 PM
well, that is such a ridiculously low level of those attempts dude, cmon. The ball is automatically moved to the frontcourt on a TO, of which every coach in the NBA would take if they only had 3 seconds to go, down 1-2.

Unless you're out of timeouts.... it actually had a bigger affect on the stats than you realize lol... but the point was, even if you adjust the time slightly or the distance, the percents change dramatically since the sample size is usually so small.. so looking at raw numbers seems ridiculous since you're really not getting an accurate depiction of what happened... that's what I'm getting at..

Also if someone takes 10 game winners and 1 is from full court.. that accounts for 10%...

tredigs
08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I was talking about dominating every game, all game, because in the playoffs every possession is clutch...

It was Melo's best stretch in the playoffs, but I remember those games and thinking that the leader of that team was Billups, not him. And Billups put up a WS/48 of .249 to Melo's .201, and a flat out insane offensive rating of 135 to Melo's 116. Wasn't like Melo was taking over the games.

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:37 PM

I've seen Durant's 2010-2011 playoff run get a shitload of praise and it wasn't that much better than Melo's 08-09 run imo. His D was even good that year. That run is what I hoped Melo to play like on average in the playoffs but the stupid mofo just keeps choking. :mad:

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:40 PM
I've seen Durant's 2010-2011 playoff run get a shitload of praise and it wasn't that much better than Melo's 08-09 run imo. His D was even good that year. That run is what I hoped Melo to play like on average in the playoffs but the stupid mofo just keeps choking. :mad:

I would actually take Durants run slightly over Melo's but it's not like either dominated... I don't recall giving Durant praise for it, and I definitely wouldn't deem him most clutch for it.
especially since Billups up staged Melo.

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I would actually take Durants run slightly over Melo's but it's not like either dominated... I don't recall giving Durant praise for it, and I definitely wouldn't deem him most clutch for it.

I could live with that.

seikou8
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM

kid was in third year and it was first playoff experience

Nycbball08
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
If Melo was on any of y'all team he would be top 5 player...So Kid is no different, he's a homer just like every single one of you...heck, if the worst player in the league was on your team, y'all would say "he ain't so bad.":facepalm:

b@llhog24
08-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Thunder made the playoffs in 010 where Durant was particularly underwhelming.

seikou8
08-26-2012, 04:47 PM
If Melo was on any of y'all team he would be top 5 player...So Kid is no different, he's a homer just like every single one of you...heck, if the worst player in the league was on your team, y'all would say "he ain't so bad.":facepalm:

melo is on my team and he is not a top 5 player he is 10-12. i wish he was but i am just being a realist.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:48 PM

??? That was Melo's 6th playoff appearance?

tredigs
08-26-2012, 04:51 PM
KD's last two playoff runs were both better than Melo's best.

Melo had him on AST:TO ratio. KD had the better O-Rating/D-Rating. More win shares. Higher PERs. More ppg on higher efficiency. More rebounds. Pretty much a "you name it" scenario. Both times. And younger.

Not what I said when we had Monta and people all over thought he was getting snubbed off All Star games. Those players/situations aren't all that different. Edit: Not to say Melo isn't the clearly better player between those two, he is. Just saying, not all fans are homers. No chance I'd think Melo was top 5 if he was on GS or anywhere else.

BULLSFAN0810
One of the best point guards of all time is saying Melo is top 5 , i believe because i also share the oppinion. Melo totally doesnt have the team chemistry or the impact that James has because James can dribble the ball much better; but outside that Melo is on par or superior .

Passing : James , but Melo is unheraled
Shooting: Melo
Reb: James, melo is above average
Perimeter d: James is superior
Weak side D: James hands down
Post D: Tie

seikou8
Thunder made the playoffs in 010 where Durant was particularly underwhelming.

yep and kd was third year against the defending champs but your right he was bad that round.he averaged 30 that year before harden was a rookie don't know if was in the rotation and westbrook was not a star yet.

seikou8
08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
??? That was Melo's 6th playoff appearance?

talking about kd

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Advance stats are for suckers LMAO. Nah I cant disagree. Obviously Id take Durant over Melo.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I just see Melo as a 3rd tier star

Nycbball08
melo is on my team and he is not a top 5 player he is 10-12. i wish he was but i am just being a realist.

I was referring to the majority of fans excluding Knicks fans...

Sactown
talking about kd

That was KD's 3rd playoff appearance

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 04:56 PM
I just see Melo as a 3rd tier star

1st tier Bron,Durant,Paul,Howard.Wade?
2nd Tier:Rose,Westy,love,Dirk,Parker?
3rd Tier:melo Dwill Griffin+Others?
No order)

bucketss
08-26-2012, 04:58 PM
One of the best point guards of all time is saying Melo is top 5 , i believe because i also share the oppinion. Melo totally doesnt have the team chemistry or the impact that James has because James can dribble the ball much better; but outside that Melo is on par or superior .

post defense is not a tie

tredigs
08-26-2012, 05:00 PM

Bolded are incorrect. Melo's a better foul shooter, from three they're a wash (James was better last year), but mid-range is Lebron by a ways. Look up the stats on hoopdata if you need to fact check it. Post D is clearly Lebron as well. Never seen Melo guard Roy Hibbert or a number of other centers and do it well. Same game (sometimes same play) he's guarding point guards to boot.

Melo's a slightly better foul shooter than Lebron (though slightly worse getting there), that's about it. The other 200 aspects of the game are in Lebron's favor.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 05:00 PM
1st tier Bron,Durant,Paul,Howard.Wade?
2nd Tier:Rose,Westy,love,Dirk,Parker?
3rd Tier:melo Dwill Griffin+Others?
No order)

Elite: James/KD/D12/ MAGIC COUSINS
Superstar: CP3/ Wade/Kobe/Rose/Love
Stars: Westbrook/Melo/BG/D-will <-- rest of stars in the league who can possible jump one another

D12 only because of lack of true talent at the C so he'll almost always have a HUGE advantage
And I don't really see any of theys players jumping their tier

seikou8
08-26-2012, 05:02 PM
That was KD's 3rd playoff appearance

mb

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 05:23 PM
:laugh: did I just read Lebron is a better midrange player then Melo. :laugh2: But I can agree minus Cousins on the Tiers, Id have Cp3 and Wade in tier 1. Kobe is not that much better then the tier 3 guys though.

theheatles
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
he was clearly drunk when he was quoted

topdog
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
if melo played for La....we would have a thread about him every hour

Cry me a friggin' river! A Knicks fan complaining about exposure! :facepalm:

I would love to see all the Knick's fan responses rooted out so we can get an actual non-biased concensus on Carmelo. Things haven't really changed in people's view of him since he left Denver, what has changed is the neediness of some Knicks fans for validation of their star.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Hes not a knick fan^ lol. Im not biased I said 12-15 no way he is much lower then that.

ThunderousDemon
08-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Hes not a knick fan^ lol. Im not biased I said 12-15 no way he is much lower then that.

I remember him (Losoway) saying that his three favorite teams were the Heat, Knicks, and Nets.

justinnum1
08-26-2012, 05:28 PM
I remember him (Losoway) saying that his three favorite teams were the Heat, Knicks, and Nets.

lol

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 05:30 PM
:laugh: I know him as a net fan.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 05:32 PM
:laugh: did I just read Lebron is a better midrange player then Melo. :laugh2: But I can agree minus Cousins on the Tiers, Id have Cp3 and Wade in tier 1. Kobe is not that much better then the tier 3 guys though.

:speechless: BLASPHAMY! I didn't want to put CP3 under ELITE because I just don't see him head and shoulders above the rest of the PG's like Rose D-Will and Rondo. and same goes for Wade

JasonJohnHorn
08-26-2012, 05:32 PM
What do you expect him to say about one of his teammates? He'd probably say the same thing about Amare is somebody asked him.

I mean... there is an arguement for either of them being top 5 if you look at their careers, BUT last season's production showed that they both need to rededicate themselves to the game if they want to stay relevent.

Let's face it though... Melo? Top 5? Just because he played well at the Olympics doesn't change the fact that he's not as good as he was. When he played against LBJ in the playoffs this year, he looked like a rookie. He was shooting less than 42% and 22% from the arc. Seriously? Sure he scored a lot, but that's because he shot a lot. SMH.

He's just lucky he didn't have to play against any defenders as good as LBJ in the olypmics.

tredigs
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Even funnier is that it's not even close. Lebron has been better for 2 years now. Some players actually improve (strange concept to Melo homers, I realize).

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Carmelo%20Anthony

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=LeBron%20James

Next.

topdog
08-26-2012, 05:40 PM

lol

Well, thanks for setting me straight guys... kind of. lol Either way, it's ridiculous for anyone to complain that Knicks players don't get enough exposure (good or bad) and I think most people would be comfortable putting Melo in that 10-15 range.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Melo didn't shoot good from anywhere last year :shrug: Lebron takes it inside more then he shoots from outside.

Captain Moroni
08-26-2012, 05:48 PM
One mans opinion..I'm ok with that.

tredigs
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Melo didn't shoot good from anywhere last year :shrug: Lebron takes it inside more then he shoots from outside.

Lol. Okay, then throw last year out. Two seasons ago Lebron shot better from both 10-15 ft and 16-23 ft (mid range and deep mid range) than Melo has EVER shot in his career, and at a volume similar to what Melo shoots (about .5 shots less per game than Melo's average. And last year they were actually on identical volume from both ranges).

Those are the facts. Dirk's the best mid-range shooter in the game. Lebron's there with Kobe, Durant and Bosh.

JordansBulls
08-26-2012, 05:53 PM
There are only a few ways to be top 5.

1. Led your team to an elite record/top record
2. Have Superstar Production and Efficiency
3. Perform well in the playoffs.

Now with Melo when he is on his game he can be top 5. He is kinda like Vince Carter in the early 2000's when if he was on his game he is top 5, but the problem is they are not on there game all the time or even majority of the time. And this is from someone who is a Melo fan and who wanted Melo and who even still wants Melo and who would have traded Noah/Deng for Melo (before Asik left).

bucketss
08-26-2012, 05:56 PM

i think melo may have a better midrange but lebron has better shot selection i guess thats why his shooting numbers look better. also one of the reason people act like melo is so much better in the midrange i think has to do with their shooting form melo has the smoother looking form so people just assume hes the much superior shooter and hes more streaky from that range.

tredigs
08-26-2012, 06:00 PM
i think melo may have a better midrange but lebron has better shot selection i guess thats why his shooting numbers look better. also one of the reason people act like melo is so much better in the midrange i think has to do with their shooting form melo has the smoother looking form so people just assume hes the much superior shooter and hes more streaky from that range.

I think there's some truth to this. Though Lebron takes his fare share of high difficulty shots from there. Underrated aspect of his mid-range post game is his passing ability too. Last year was the first time he really started exploiting that.

broncofangene
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Lol top 5 most selfish. Maybe top 5 in wearing questionable attire. Could be great but cares more about scoring title than a championship

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 06:18 PM

I agree. If it was a mid range shot I think Id take Melo over just about anybody. Not to say he is close to Lebron or Durant as complete players its just somehting he is good at.

29$JerZ
08-26-2012, 06:25 PM
LeBron has a much better Mid range shot than Melo, just because Melo likes to operate there doesn't mean he's better than LeBron there.

Sixerlover
08-26-2012, 06:28 PM