PDA

View Full Version : Nets' Johnson and Lopez Talking NBA Title!

StarvingKnick22
08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Wow

The Nets have yet to play a single as a game as a Brooklyn franchise - or unveil their uniforms, for that matter - but they're already targeting a championship in Year 1.

Cornerstones Brook Lopez and Joe Johnson set the lofty tone in recent interviews, buoyed by the Nets' expensive offseason.

"Obviously our main goal is no question the NBA championship. I think it is realistic for us," Lopez told the Philipine Star during his NBA goodwill tour of the Philippines. "We're already a good playoff team so with the addition of other pieces, we can target the ring."

Johnson echoed that sentiment to Sports Illustrated, continuing his confident evaluations of his new squad. During Johnson's introductory press conference in July, he declared the Nets were "definitely" already better than the Knicks.

But the New York crown obviously isn't enough.

"That's what we are shooting for - the ring," Johnson said. "There's no need to sell ourselves short. You talk about gelling and figuring it out, and I think we have the perfect pieces: a great point guard, a great center.

"I don't think any of our positions are the same or overlap at all."

Title talk is an enormous leap for the Nets, who are tied with the Timberwolves for the worst record in the league over the last three years at 58-172. But they're entering Brooklyn - and the $1 billion Barclays Center, which is scheduled for completion in less than two weeks - with a revamped roster and a different mindset.

While coach Avery Johnson has stuck by Mikhail Prokhorov's more modest goal of a championship by 2015, the players are clearly confident they can adjust the timeline - even with the Heat, Thunder, Lakers and Celtics looming large and talented.

The starting spots are locked up by proven commodities, what Lopez described as "a fantastic core" - Deron Williams, Johnson, Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries and Lopez. Their combined salaries are over $72 million for next season, and, aside from Humphries, they're all under contract until at least after the 2015-16 season.

Lopez, who told the Philipine Star that he's ready to start the season after rehabbing a fractured foot, has a player option in 2015-16.

"The most important part is we are going to be a very good team. Not just a great group of basketball players, but a great team," Lopez said.

Johnson, the Nets' big acquisition of the offseason (not counting Williams' re-signing), said he's putting more into this offseason training while preparing for more running with the Nets' offense.

"I'm really just training a lot more this summer, with a lot more focus, and being down (in Miami) with (fitness guru) Manning Sumner really helps," he said. "My role is going to change a lot playing with the Nets, and I'm fine with that. I just want to be prepared for that situation. I want to start on a positive note."

He's certainly started with a positive outlook.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/confident-brooklyn-nets-talking-nba-title-joe-johnson-brook-lopez-hype-offseason-moves-article-1.1144455#ixzz24bk1xSTK

bucketss
08-25-2012, 08:33 PM
can you bold the good parts for me please?

lookie8
08-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow

Nice article.

Are you implying they should think any differently?

Evolution23
08-25-2012, 08:40 PM
lol

netsgiantsyanks
08-25-2012, 08:41 PM
this definitely isn't a bait thread. what else are they supposed to think?

bootleg42
08-25-2012, 08:41 PM
They're the same team as last year only with Joe Johnson as a new addition. They'll be lucky to get the 8th seed.

The lulz are everywhere.

bucketss
08-25-2012, 08:43 PM
They're the same team as last year only with Joe Johnson as a new addition. They'll be lucky to get the 8th seed.

The lulz are everywhere.

lopez only played 5 games,

xxplayerxx23
08-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Um I think every playoff team with talent is going to talk championship.

SteBO
08-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I have no problem with any of them said. Shame on anyone who criticizes them for believing in themselves. Their chances aren't that great to accomplish what they're shooting for, but you can't fault them for thinking big. Good for them :clap:

maddBat
08-25-2012, 08:45 PM
obvi a bait thread. not like hes guaranteeing a ship. hes saying the championship is the main goal..... which is 4 every team i would guess? :rolleyes:

flatbush knicks
08-25-2012, 08:46 PM
:facepalm: and just when i want to back the nets they say stupid shyt like this how about they worry about making the playoffs first:facepalm: i'm pretty sure amare said we were going to win it all last year after the tyson deal and look how that turned out talk is cheap just stfu and prove it:mad:

jp611
08-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Oh my god, a team is talking about winning a title, shame on them for wanting to win a ring

Shouldn't they be doing this? I mean winning a championship is the ultimate goal

Dade County
08-25-2012, 08:50 PM
"Obviously our main goal is no question the NBA championship. I think it is realistic for us," Lopez told the Philipine Star during his NBA goodwill tour of the Philippines. "We're already a good playoff team so with the addition of other pieces, we can target the ring."

:no:

Thou Shall Not Lie

Cromedome
08-25-2012, 08:52 PM
I wish they'd leave New York and turn the Barclay place into Giants Stadium.

netsgiantsyanks
08-25-2012, 08:54 PM
yeah, shame on them for aiming to achieve a goal. may be far fetched, but who the **** cares?

Lake_Show2416
they already got Nba 2k13... lucky!

lookie8

The lulz are everywhere.

Damn, I am the eternal pessimist, but if you think this Nets team remains relatively healthy and only gets the 8th seed in the East, you have some serious NBA mentality problems.

And I'm not saying that you don't

StarvingKnick22
08-25-2012, 08:55 PM
how is this a bait thread? its just to show that they are confident in this

BobbyHillSwag
08-25-2012, 09:02 PM
i have a problem with johnson saying they're better than the knicks. just seemed kind of false.

lookie8
08-25-2012, 09:06 PM
i have a problem with johnson saying they're better than the knicks. just seemed kind of false.

My estimation is that you are going to have to live with that problem

DR_1
08-25-2012, 09:09 PM
:laugh:

xxplayerxx23
08-25-2012, 09:13 PM
nothing wrong with what he said.

knicks=love
08-25-2012, 09:16 PM

why don't you just read it.. it's not a lot.

yeah and? doesn't make him a good center even if he played more. (cue DoMeFavors)

SteBO
08-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Joe Johnson has gotten more attention these last two days than he's gotten in half a decade in Atlanta :laugh2: Amazing what a change of scenery can do for a player.

oak2455
08-25-2012, 09:24 PM
35 wins

StarvingKnick22
08-25-2012, 09:27 PM
a generous 44 wins

Utd7
08-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Might as well....

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-25-2012, 09:28 PM
God forbid a team wants to set their eyes on a ring, I mean why bother? Isn't everyone's goal to get into the playoffs?

Some of you are really absurd with your comments, whats so bad about a few players wanting to go for the ultimate goal.

Its funny how entitled Knicks fans have gotten after 1 playoff win.

xxplayerxx23
08-25-2012, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if Kemba Walker came out and said this. Everyteam should have these hopes.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-25-2012, 09:30 PM
35 wins

35 wins? Thats way too much, they're probably like a 7-12 win team. I mean who do the Nets have?

Deron Williams? Joe Johnson? Gerald Wallace? Kris Humphries? Brook Lopez? That wont get them anywhere.

:rolleyes:

SteBO
08-25-2012, 09:32 PM
God forbid a team wants to set their eyes on a ring, I mean why bother? Isn't everyone's goal to get into the playoffs?

Some of you are really absurd with your comments, whats so bad about a few players wanting to go for the ultimate goal.

Dude, it's one of the backdrops of being a professional athlete. Sure you love the money and luxuries, but at some point you want to be able to say things and do things without others nitpicking.

Joe Johnson, this is no longer ATL. There's no hiding anymore.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Dude, it's one of the backdrops of being a professional athlete. Sure you love the money and luxuries, but at some point you want to be able to say things and do things without others nitpicking.

Joe Johnson, this is no longer ATL. There's no hiding anymore.

In my opinion, its more important to the players than money. Yes I realize the stereotype that everyone wants their pay day, but for the greats, the ring is viewed as the holy grail.

Joe Johnson should be rejuvenated this year with the pieces around him. I hope he adjusts to the NY Media well enough during the season, even with a new team, because this NY vs BK thing will be on the back pages all through the season.

Nycbball08
08-25-2012, 09:48 PM

He might reach 6 this season...

ManningToTyree
08-25-2012, 09:49 PM

:no:

Thou Shall Not Lie

Yep. That is the only problem I had. They haven't sniffed the playoffs.

However, every teams goal is a ring. not a big deal.

StarvingKnick22
08-25-2012, 09:50 PM
35 wins? Thats way too much, they're probably like a 7-12 win team. I mean who do the Nets have?

Deron Williams? Joe Johnson? Gerald Wallace? Kris Humphries? Brook Lopez? That wont get them anywhere.

You and i both know that Kris Kardashian flat-out sucks. lopez is on a down hill motercycle, gerald wallace is pretty much bad and JJ is no savior. and please dont use sarcasm ont the internet, it makes no sense, like people can understand you. lol smh

Nycbball08
08-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Sure it will..."swept"....:clap:

xxplayerxx23
08-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Well Deron, wallace, Lopez didnt really get to play that many games together. +JJ but either way there a playoff team and I have no problem with what they said.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-25-2012, 09:59 PM
You and i both know that Kris Kardashian flat-out sucks. lopez is on a down hill motercycle, gerald wallace is pretty much bad and JJ is no savior. and please dont use sarcasm ont the internet, it makes no sense, like people can understand you. lol smh

I dont see how a guy who put up 14 and 11 and has the the #13 rebounding rate in the NBA "suck". Please, if he was a Knick you'd be declaring him as a hall of famer.

Clearly you do not know much about this team so I will not continue to comment on the others.

mosesedan
lol knick fan

Nycbball08

Gotta crawl before you walk son...:facepalm:
How about they make the playoffs first, then talk ring..:facepalm:

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Gotta crawl before you walk son...:facepalm:
How about they make the playoffs first, then talk ring..:facepalm:

Whats so bad about saying you want to win a ring, how is that so "over the top".

And please, the Knicks have won one single game in 11 years in the post season.

KniCks4LiFe
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
With the rigors of an NBA season they are a 4th or 5th seed. I still think Philly w/ a healthy Bynum are the #4 seed. Brook didn't say anything wrong, the Nets finished out of the playoffs in a very weak Eastern Conference last season, Brook Lopez would have made them a playoff seed.

Nycbball08
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Whats so bad about saying you want to win a ring, how is that so "over the top".

And please, the Knicks have won one single game in 11 games in the post season.

As I recall it was a net player declaring that they'll win the chip... Not Knick. That's why I say you gotta crawl first...

KniCks4LiFe
08-25-2012, 10:12 PM
As I recall it was a net player declaring that they'll win the chip... Not Knick. That's why I say you gotta crawl first...

This. They will be formidable but championship team, lets calm it down B-K.:cool:

oak2455
08-25-2012, 10:38 PM
35 wins

netsgiantsyanks
08-25-2012, 10:40 PM
With the rigors of an NBA season they are a 4th or 5th seed. I still think Philly w/ a healthy Bynum are the #4 seed. Brook didn't say anything wrong, the Nets finished out of the playoffs in a very weak Eastern Conference last season, Brook Lopez would have made them a playoff seed.

:nod:

netsgiantsyanks
08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
35 wins

nice opinion. :up:

BradHolt4CYoung
08-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Have any of you ever played organized sports? Whenever you have done so, dont you AIM TO WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP? No matter who you are, thats what you strive for.

What the **** is wrong with Knicks fans?

DallasTrilla23
08-25-2012, 10:47 PM
I would actually be suprised if they didn't say they could win it all.

They have a good team. The Nets are not the same team as last year and I'm not saying this just because they added Joe Johnson either. I've actually never seen D-Will, Hump, Wallace and Lopez on the court together. I'm sure that they can make noise in the playoffs.

The only thing I don't agree about is them saying they're better than the knicks because they've never even played a game yet.

netsgiantsyanks
08-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Have any of you ever played organized sports? Whenever you have done so, dont you AIM TO WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP? No matter who you are, thats what you strive for.

What the **** is wrong with Knicks fans?

this thread was going nowhere but downhill.

Guppyfighter
08-25-2012, 10:51 PM
10 years ago my little league team started out 0-4. I was delusional enough to think we could win the championship anyways. We got to the playoffs and lost in the championship.

However, despite the other team clearly being better than us we were all dumb enough to think we could win. Why? Because anybody whoever plays anything competitively always thinks they can win every game and if you don't have that mentality you are not a competitive person.

netsgiantsyanks
08-25-2012, 10:54 PM
10 years ago my little league team started out 0-4. I was delusional enough to think we could win the championship anyways. We got to the playoffs and lost in the championship.

However, despite the other team clearly being better than us we were all dumb enough to think we could win. Why? Because anybody whoever plays anything competitively always thinks they can win every game and if you don't have that mentality you are not a competitive person.

#wordsofwisdom

29$JerZ
08-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Any one who gets paid what Brook and Joe J are getting paid should be talking about titles regardless of how little those odds are. Imagine 30 million of your investment saying "yeah we won't work"

GoPacers33
08-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Lol

Guppyfighter
08-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Any one who gets paid what Brook and Joe J are getting paid should be talking about titles regardless of how little those odds are. Imagine 30 million of your investment saying "yeah we won't work"

Would be ****ing hilarious if they did.

DoMeFavors
08-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I said the same thing, guess its called confidence..

hgtiger32
08-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Considering that Lopez has never seen the playoffs
Joe Johnson hasn't gotten out of the first round of the playoffs
Deron Williams hasn't led teams deep into playoffs either

-just shut up and play. They are a 5 seed at best.

hgtiger32
08-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Heat
Celtics
Knicks
Pacers
76ers
Bulls

All teams that I think are better than the Nets.

DoMeFavors
08-25-2012, 11:30 PM

Joe Johnson was past the 1st round in 2011
Deron has been to WCF

please research buddy

netsgiantsyanks
08-25-2012, 11:40 PM

cool opinion. he was asked a question and he answered it.

JasonJohnHorn
08-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Lopez should be talking about how he's actually going to try to rebound the ball this season before he starts talking about winning a ring. Jesus... this guy...

dtmagnet
08-25-2012, 11:42 PM
I said the same thing, guess its called confidence..

I think its called head up your *** syndrome.

Robbw241
08-25-2012, 11:45 PM

I call BS. No way Brook Lopez could ride a motorcycle, he's way to big. Especially one going down a hill he'd just flip over!

DoMeFavors
08-25-2012, 11:47 PM
I dont see why other fans of teams would say anything bad about this, it isnt your teams player. Seems to me you guys are jealous that Nets have a good team now.

Federal Reserve
08-25-2012, 11:57 PM

He did.

lookie8
08-26-2012, 12:03 AM
I think its called head up your *** syndrome.

It's been said you are one of the leaders in the field.

Robbw241
08-26-2012, 12:12 AM
I dont see why other fans of teams would say anything bad about this, it isnt your teams player. Seems to me you guys are jealous that Nets have a good team now.

I think they just hate you personally.

DoMeFavors
08-26-2012, 12:15 AM
I think they just hate you personally.

If someone HATES someone over the internet they have problems, thats pretty sad. I dont spend my emotion getting all angry about someone. Relax :)

bucketss
08-26-2012, 12:16 AM

true.
wrong.
wrong.

you shut up.lol

bucketss
08-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Lopez should be talking about how he's actually going to try to rebound the ball this season before he starts talking about winning a ring. Jesus... this guy...

"yeah man we are not playing to win a ring because we're not good enough to do so, we suck but hey atleast i will work harder to rebound this year so thats a plus"

is that what you wanted to hear?

DR_1
08-26-2012, 01:03 AM

I'm not jealous at all, my team's still better

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm not jealous at all, my team's still better

:nod: My team to. :D

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:06 AM
If someone HATES someone over the internet they have problems, thats pretty sad. I dont spend my emotion getting all angry about someone. Relax :)

You cant be an attractive girl then because a girl that doesn't get angry over stupid stuff has to be ugly :pity:

DoMeFavors
08-26-2012, 01:22 AM
You cant be an attractive girl then because a girl that doesn't get angry over stupid stuff has to be ugly :pity:

That girl in your picture is a 1 compared to the dimes I bring home on a nightly basis.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 01:23 AM
That girl in your picture is a 1 compared to the dimes I bring home on a nightly basis.

:laugh: so your lesbo. Not ganna lie if your the cutie part of the lesbo couple Im a little turned on now, but if your the one that looks like a dude :puke:

TRUTH-TELLER
08-26-2012, 01:28 AM
the nets aren't winning anything....ever

majmarcus
08-26-2012, 01:39 AM
The title of this thread should read: Nets' Johnson Lopez talking non sense

showtym24
08-26-2012, 01:55 AM
LMAO has lopez ever even played in a postseason game?

DallasTrilla23
08-26-2012, 02:23 AM

Why is it nonsense? All they're saying is that winning the title is their goal

Aust
08-26-2012, 02:29 AM
"We're already a good playoff team"

What??

ACanadian
08-26-2012, 02:39 AM

Are you a tranny?

ThunderousDemon
08-26-2012, 03:11 AM
35 wins

:laugh2:

majmarcus
08-26-2012, 03:17 AM

Why is it nonsense? All they're saying is that winning the title is their goal
Im just clowning kinfolk. Im not hating on them for setting the goal where it is. That better be their goal considering the moves they made in an attempt to compete with the nba's elite...

Dashone0one
08-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Would be news if they were guaranteed a title

Knicks21
08-26-2012, 07:35 AM
that girl in your picture is a 1 compared to the dimes i bring home on a nightly basis.

hahaha cool man!

RLundi
08-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Bahaha

WickedBadMan
08-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I guess it would have made more sense to say, "We probably don't have a chance at the title, but we are still looking forward to a fun season of ball!"

lookie8
08-26-2012, 10:25 AM
the nets aren't winning anything....ever

Very intelligently stated

lookie8
08-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Would be news if they were guaranteed a title

Didn't Patrick Ewing guarantee successes that he couldn't deliver on at least twice a season

Ill21
08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
I have no problem with any of them said. Shame on anyone who criticizes them for believing in themselves. Their chances aren't that great to accomplish what they're shooting for, but you can't fault them for thinking big. Good for them :clap:

Agreed, what are they supposed to say? We have no chance. This is what every team should be saying.

netsgiantsyanks
08-26-2012, 11:14 AM
are people still being bothered by this? i guess you guys have never played competitive sports.

Losoway
08-26-2012, 12:13 PM
i love the confidence

BROOKLYN@!!!!!!

Sactown
08-26-2012, 12:56 PM
JJ is a future HOF and Lopez is a top 2 center in the league :facepalm: they're clearly title contenders and Kris is top 5 PF and Crash is a top 5 SF.. SMH of course they're going to be good not to mention they have the best PG

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-26-2012, 01:19 PM
The amount of animosity towards this team by you guys is quite hilarious.

Punk
08-26-2012, 06:34 PM
They matchup well with every Eastern Conference team. Top 5 PG, Top 5 SG, Top 5 defensive SF, Top 10 C, etc. So, they have every right to talk about it.

Sixerlover
08-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Geez.

imagesrdecievin
08-26-2012, 06:45 PM
DoMeFavors and company has done such a number on you guys. Some of you's go so far overboard to insult the Nets team and players as a way to get at DMF - but when the season starts to play out many of you will look foolish.

And for what?

To prove DMF wrong?

NYsFinest
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I wish they'd leave New York and turn the Barclay place into Giants Stadium.

Agreed, I have no problem with what they said in this article, however the Nets are becoming extremely annoying. They keep pushing the NY rivalry that clearly doesn't exist yet, talking about how they are taking over NY... win some games first. That whole team (including their owner) have been running their mouths a little too much for my liking. Everything from the "blueprint for greatness" posters they put outside MSG, to Prokorov taking shots at Dolan... just STFU and prove you deserve the respect of NYC.

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Keep talking.

DoMeFavors
08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Agreed, I have no problem with what they said in this article, however the Nets are becoming extremely annoying. They keep pushing the NY rivalry that clearly doesn't exist yet, talking about how they are taking over NY... win some games first. That whole team (including their owner) have been running their mouths a little too much for my liking. Everything from the "blueprint for greatness" posters they put outside MSG, to Prokorov taking shots at Dolan... just STFU and prove you deserve the respect of NYC.

Its all for the entertainment of the sport, if you keep talking and do stuff like Nets it creates excitment for Knicks and Nets games. Its even doing it now you seem like you are getting annoyed with the Nets so you probably want to see the Knicks destroy Nets opening night. Its a buzz

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
JJ is a future HOF and Lopez is a top 2 center in the league :facepalm: they're clearly title contenders and Kris is top 5 PF and Crash is a top 5 SF.. SMH of course they're going to be good not to mention they have the best PG

This idiocy is why people make fun of the Brooklyn Nets.

StarvingKnick22
08-26-2012, 07:07 PM

agreed if they suck this season let them stay so we can have fun. but if they play like an 8th seed and brag we need to start a Leave NY rally

Gritz
08-26-2012, 07:08 PM
What are they supposed to talk? Lottery?

Robbw241
08-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Are you dumb or just can't understand sarcasm?

StarvingKnick22
08-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Its all for the entertainment of the sport, if you keep talking and do stuff like Nets it creates excitment for Knicks and Nets games. Its even doing it now you seem like you are getting annoyed with the Nets so you probably want to see the Knicks destroy Nets opening night. Its a buzz

Nets/Knicks opening day
Nets-Knicks
1st qrt 28-22
2nd qrt-24-25
3rd qrt-29-35
4th qrt- 20-24
Knicks win 106-101

Knicks Stat Leaders
Points- Carmelo-35
Assist- 8- Felton
Rebounds- Chandler-12
blks- Amare-2
Steals- Brewer/JR- 3 each

Nets Stat Leaders
Points- DWill- 27 JJ-22
Assist- Dwill- 11
Rebounds- Lopez 9
Steals- Crash 2/ DWill 3
Blks- Crash 1/Lopez 1
Write it down cause thats what will happen.

netsgiantsyanks
08-26-2012, 07:19 PM

your lack of sarcasm is evident. he's not even a net fan

smith&wesson
08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
whats the point in competing if you dont beleive you can win ??

Jagged QT
08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
I have no issues with players believing in themselves.

Nothing wrong with putting the carrot at the finish line.

DoMeFavors
08-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Nets/Knicks opening day
Nets-Knicks
1st qrt 28-22
2nd qrt-24-25
3rd qrt-29-35
4th qrt- 20-24
Knicks win 106-101

Knicks Stat Leaders
Points- Carmelo-35
Assist- 8- Felton
Rebounds- Chandler-12
blks- Amare-2
Steals- Brewer/JR- 3 each

Nets Stat Leaders
Points- DWill- 27 JJ-22
Assist- Dwill- 11
Rebounds- Lopez 9
Steals- Crash 2/ DWill 3
Blks- Crash 1/Lopez 1
Write it down cause thats what will happen.

Humphries usually always has above 10 rebounds

StarvingKnick22
08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Humphries usually always has above 10 rebounds

I looked up the stats and you are right. But I put it into a perspective of opening day. Everyone will either play on a level they've never play on or play on a low level. Think about it.