PDA

View Full Version : Ellsbury and Lester put on waivers?

mistamyrick
08-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Has anyone else heard about this and have any updated info? Following the LA blockbuster I had heard it mentioned that there were more moves to follow out of Boston after the deal was completed. Supposedly, Ellsbury and Lester were next on waivers!? I was listening to either WEEI or Espn radio when I heard it.

Anyone have any solid info on this? This could definitely be solid proof of the Upton for Ellsbury trade rumors and could unmask boston as the mystery team that claimed upton off of waivers.

via the boston globe https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/239024883777032192

-Lavigne43-
08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Everyone gets put on waivers. Totally different, it would make 0 sense to trade them with no trade market. It's only done to see who is interested

MiamiBoy77
08-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Ells for Andrus and Olt haha

ruckus16969
08-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Everyone gets put on waivers. Totally different, it would make 0 sense to trade them with no trade market. It's only done to see who is interested

Thats what they said about A-Gon LOL

AI
08-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Reds were all over Ellsbury before the trade deadline passed. They want a leadoff hitter, Ellsbury would be a perfect fit.

Suggestion:

Ellsbury and cash considerations (pay a small portion of his '13 salary) to the Reds in exchange for Robert Stephenson, RHP, and Tony Cingrani, LHP. Both were ranked by Sickels as Top 100 prospects; Stephenson (#63), Cingrani (#94).

Stephenson, RHP: 2.84 ERA, 67/20 K/BB, 10.6 K/9 in 57.0 IP between Rookie and Low-A.
Cingrani, LHP: 1.56 ERA, 160/42 K/BB, 10.4 K/9 in 138.1 IP between High-A and AA

bagwell368
08-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd trade Ells. Still think Lester wouldn't bring enough to justify it at this time.

Crucis
08-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Reds were all over Ellsbury before the trade deadline passed. They want a leadoff hitter, Ellsbury would be a perfect fit.

Suggestion:

Ellsbury and cash considerations (pay a small portion of his '13 salary) to the Reds in exchange for Robert Stephenson, RHP, and Tony Cingrani, LHP. Both were ranked by Sickels as Top 100 prospects; Stephenson (#63), Cingrani (#94).

Stephenson, RHP: 2.84 ERA, 67/20 K/BB, 10.6 K/9 in 57.0 IP between Rookie and Low-A.
Cingrani, LHP: 1.56 ERA, 160/42 K/BB, 10.4 K/9 in 138.1 IP between High-A and AA

I'd definitely see if the Reds are still interested in Ellsbury. They may feel enough pressure this close to the Sept 1st playoff roster deadline to make a deal.

AI
08-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Deal would give us 4 pitchers in the Top 100, possibly 5 if Owens makes the cut.

EEasyA
08-25-2012, 07:37 PM

Lavs should ask Agon how he feels about that or beckett.lol.That's all we thought until Agon,CC and Punto were shipped to La.

-Lavigne43-
08-25-2012, 07:57 PM

That's different. Lester and Ellsbury don't have massive contracts. It would make no sense to trade them when more than one team can't compete for them.

SirHizz
08-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Is there a chance Ells passing waivers? Doubt it!

But yes, trading Ells right now would make even more sense than in the off-season, teams like the Reds would get him for this years playoff-run AND another full year. It's definitely not out of the question.
Lester stays at least until the end of this season as he needs to boost value. I can only imagine the Braves getting serious about him.

MiamiBoy77
08-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Suggestion:

We have SO much pitching. I'd rather get 1 top pitcher back with a corner infielder who can either play 1st, short (Xander to 3rd eventually and WMB to 1st) or 3rd (WMB to 1st)

AI
08-25-2012, 09:21 PM
We have SO much pitching. I'd rather get 1 top pitcher back with a corner infielder who can either play 1st, short (Xander to 3rd eventually and WMB to 1st) or 3rd (WMB to 1st)

You can never have enough pitching, and as far as elite pitching prospects, we have one that might fit the bill in Barnes. Stephenson and Cingrani are both solid.

BGeer091
08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
I wish Atlanta would claim Lester. Give us Minor, Teheran, and a ptbnl. We'd have to add to the deal but that would be the meat of the deal.

Station 13
08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I wish Atlanta would claim Lester. Give us Minor, Teheran, and a ptbnl. We'd have to add to the deal but that would be the meat of the deal.

I like Minor. But not for Lester. Ellsbury perhaps.

todu82
08-28-2012, 09:47 PM
I'd rather we hold onto both guys actually. Both guys are relatively young and should have good futures in Boston.

AI
08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
I agree, if you can get a good haul for Ellsbury in the offseason or during the trade deadline, then trade him. If you don't, keep him, extend a QO after the season and get the draft pick.

BGeer091
08-28-2012, 10:30 PM
I believe Lester still has potential. It seems to me he hasn't adjusted to his loss in velocity. I would trade him for the right deal. I personally believe a Minor and Teheran + deal would be good.

AI
08-28-2012, 10:46 PM
I believe Lester still has potential. It seems to me he hasn't adjusted to his loss in velocity. I would trade him for the right deal. I personally believe a Minor and Teheran + deal would be good.

Scouting reports on Teheran this year haven't been that good. I wouldn't trade Lester unless he was part of a package in which we were getting a proven commodity like a Felix Hernandez.

Nomar
08-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Scouting reports on Teheran this year haven't been that good. I wouldn't trade Lester unless he was part of a package in which we were getting a proven commodity like a Felix Hernandez.

x2

Mike Minor hasnt looked good his whole career yet and Teheran is a bust waiting to happen. Aside from this year, Lester's fWAR is always top 10, way more valuable than a couple prospects who look like theyll never reach their ceilings.

bagwell368
08-29-2012, 04:18 PM

He lost the touch (as in fingers/grip) as well as the mechanics of delivery (from not having his plant leg oriented correctly, to landing in a different place, to changing the way his arm/elbow moved through his whip) compared to when he was more successful back in 2008-2010.

Pitchers cannot see what is wrong with them that well many times, that's what a coach is for. I think a real professional coach (like Farrell - you know - that one so many here wanted gone) could have cut a lot of that short.

Giving up on Lester would be madness. Pedroia/Lester is the core of this team moving forward over the next 5 years (or when FA takes them away).

ruckus16969
08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
That's different. Lester and Ellsbury don't have massive contracts. It would make no sense to trade them when more than one team can't compete for them.

Thats very true. Unless the team that claimed them put together a wonderful package

ruckus16969
08-29-2012, 05:05 PM
He lost the touch (as in fingers/grip) as well as the mechanics of delivery (from not having his plant leg oriented correctly, to landing in a different place, to changing the way his arm/elbow moved through his whip) compared to when he was more successful back in 2008-2010.

Pitchers cannot see what is wrong with them that well many times, that's what a coach is for. I think a real professional coach (like Farrell - you know - that one so many here wanted gone) could have cut a lot of that short.

Giving up on Lester would be madness. Pedroia/Lester is the core of this team moving forward over the next 5 years (or when FA takes them away).

Thats true. I wouldn't trade Lester at all for no reason.

ruckus16969
08-29-2012, 05:06 PM
I agree, if you can get a good haul for Ellsbury in the offseason or during the trade deadline, then trade him. If you don't, keep him, extend a QO after the season and get the draft pick.

I think he will be gone by the winter meetings. And I bet we get a huge haul for him

Nomar
08-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I think he will be gone by the winter meetings. And I bet we get a huge haul for him

Let's hope you're right. The recent Dodgers trade is testament to the idea that there is always a team willing to overpay for players through trade.