PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Dwight Howard's injury

Stevenrosa92
08-24-2012, 11:15 PM
I remember hearing on espn he won't be back until February. Has anyone heard anything else?

nicegoing
08-24-2012, 11:23 PM
na hes fine

JNoel
08-24-2012, 11:29 PM
He's keeping it quiet until training camp starts, then he'll say something like "I healed up fast." I think he's been fine for a while though...

rsweene
08-25-2012, 12:18 AM
He seemed to be quite comfortable during his press conference

C-Style
08-25-2012, 12:51 AM
He's targeting opening night but he's not gonna rush into it if he's not ready. Hopefully there is no set backs

TheSource
08-25-2012, 01:00 AM
I'd prefer if he doesn't rush the recovery and waits until he's 110%.

BALLER R
08-25-2012, 03:39 AM
I seen a pic of him playing ping pong the other day, I'm sure he's fine. I know ping pong is basketball but that if your really seriously having back problems would playing ping pong be a smart idea?

GoferKing_
08-25-2012, 04:10 AM
He was pretending to be injured, it was all fake.

Leftcoast_yg
08-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Yesterday on ESPN radio they had a Doctor from Sinai Hospital explain Dwights injury, I don't know if that was his doctor who did the surgery but he pretty much broke it down.

The Doc explained the type of surgery dwight had as a Microscopic surgery where they make a small insition where they had to remove damaged parts of the disc, just enough so that it don't have to be fully removed so that the healing process won't take long.

The way he described the surgery was done for minimal but effective enough to where full recovery can be done in 4 months. And he basically said he expects Dwight to be wearing a lakers jersey on opening night, very exciting news. He also said that Dwight has been doing a very good job of rehabing and that he needs to strenghten his body core in order to take pressure off of his back so that it can heal without any set backs.

The Doc also mentioned the reason why he needed the surgery. It was not from a freak injury but because of chronic use of his back over time as he played and it needed per say a tune-up to clear out damage from a herniated disc so that it can rebuild itself.

Laker fans should expect a fully recovered dwight by opening night. I belive you can find this interview @ espn LA radio with Mason and Ireland which was aired thursday the 23rd.

Leftcoast_yg
08-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Here is the interview with Dr. Robert Klapper Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at Cedar Sinai Hospital skip to 19:02.......

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8297966&s=la

ThunderousDemon
08-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Nice

Leftcoast_yg
08-25-2012, 04:38 AM
If it wasnt for the back injury Dwight would probably not be a Laker.

FOBolous
08-25-2012, 04:45 AM
lol @ the people who actually think Howard's injury was serious enough for him to be out until Feburary. He's fine and he's been fine for awhile now. He was just being a deutch looking for a excuse not to suite up for Orlando.

Aust
08-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.

2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 04/20/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.

7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.

8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.

The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.

Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.

Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.

Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.

That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.

When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.

Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.

Credit to dfchang813 from lakersground.net

Another repost.
From the Laker forum.

Iron24th
08-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I can see him being back in early december.

tr3ymill3r
08-25-2012, 08:04 AM
With as much flip flopping as this guy did about being traded, who's to say he didn't make all of this up as a ploy to get out of Orlando.

Leftcoast_yg
08-25-2012, 09:59 AM
With as much flip flopping as this guy did about being traded, who's to say he didn't make all of this up as a ploy to get out of Orlando.

You mean the same flip flopping the Magic F.O did those years DH was there failing to surround him with great talent to compete? As you overlook the team Dwight has played with Rashard Lewis being the best player he ever played with??? I say the Magic lack of dedication to bring together a contender team together is what brought Dwight to want to be traded, not the city and not the fans. Remember it takes 2 to tango.

lookie8
08-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Hoping Dwight's injury is serious and career ending

mamba24
08-25-2012, 11:57 AM

I wouldnt wish a career ending injury on any player no matter how much i hate them... That would be like me wishing you lost your voice forever so you could no longer continue your career as the greeter at walmart

AsiandudePH
08-25-2012, 11:59 AM

You're a pathetic excuse for a human being, wishing ill health to someone. :mad:

lookie8
08-25-2012, 12:00 PM
I wouldnt wish a career ending injury on any player no matter how much i hate them... That would be like me wishing you lost your voice forever so you could no longer continue your career as the greeter at walmart

Do you think I care what you would wish, or whether Dwight is in a wheelchair when he's counting all his money?

C-Style
08-25-2012, 04:16 PM

Ur a lame

Cal827
08-25-2012, 04:21 PM

:laugh: Win.

/ Thread

Hawkeye15
08-25-2012, 04:22 PM
From what I have read, he may miss a few games to start the season, but that would be worst case, and should have no lingering issues in his back when he is healthy again.

Hawkeye15
08-25-2012, 04:24 PM

kind of messed up dude. I hate the Lakers with every bone in my body, but why would you wish an injury on someone you don't even know? Or anyone for that matter?

RLundi
08-25-2012, 04:36 PM

Lol dirty...

shep33
08-25-2012, 04:38 PM

Anybody see that movie Weekend ant BURNies? Boom!

Mamba with the win

dc5jdm
08-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Dwight just was faking that injury, he's fine.

lookie8
08-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Dwight just was faking that injury, he's fine.

He should try to do a better job at faking intelligence

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-25-2012, 04:53 PM

GAME.....SET.......MATCH!

Mamba24 to that troll lookie8: ........You're Welcome. :smoking:

Lakerhead4ever
08-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Do you think I care what you would wish, or whether Dwight is in a wheelchair when he's counting all his money?

Ohh i get it. this guy is one of those people who hate on ppl whos doing better than him in life.

kind of like the Uncle who hates rap music and all the youngins who drives nice cars and with fancy chains.

i get it.

lookie8
08-25-2012, 05:10 PM
kind of messed up dude. I hate the Lakers with every bone in my body, but why would you wish an injury on someone you don't even know? Or anyone for that matter?

Why wouldn't they?

Is it supposed to make some difference?

If all the people I wished dead had died, the streets would be strewn with bodies.

But it doesn't seem to work that way.

lookie8
08-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Ohh i get it. this guy is one of those people who hate on ppl whos doing better than him in life.

kind of like the Uncle who hates rap music and all the youngins who drives nice cars and with fancy chains.

i get it.

Sure kid. You've got it all figured out.

Lakerhead4ever
08-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Sure kid. You've got it all figured out.

trying to make a name for yourself?

RLundi
08-25-2012, 05:40 PM

:laugh2:

Leftcoast_yg
08-25-2012, 05:44 PM

He's probably a in-breed of waveycrapett and justindum.

seikou8
08-25-2012, 05:51 PM
He's probably a in-breed of waveycrapett and justindum.

no thats mr la

xxplayerxx23
08-25-2012, 05:55 PM
He was hurt. Surgury is not a thing to play with even a small one. He should be back way before feb tho, Hopefully not on christmas day though :D

Cal827
08-25-2012, 05:57 PM
:laugh: Well to the point of the thread. He's clearly faking it. And Believe me, I know when someone fakes it... if you know what I mean :D

lookie8
08-25-2012, 07:46 PM

LOL!!!!! Yeah, I expect my posts to go worldwide.

Damn, that makes me laugh.

lookie8
08-25-2012, 07:47 PM
:laugh: Well to the point of the thread. He's clearly faking it. And Believe me, I know when someone fakes it... if you know what I mean :D

I'm sorry, but somehow I interpret your post as being a sad one.

Greedy22
08-25-2012, 08:54 PM
no thats mr la

:laugh: so cold, that guy is on another level...more like dnewguy and domefavors...

Mave1002
08-25-2012, 09:44 PM
He's keeping it quiet until training camp starts, then he'll say something like "I healed up fast." I think he's been fine for a while though...

;)

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Why wouldn't they?

Is it supposed to make some difference?

If all the people I wished dead had died, the streets would be strewn with bodies.

But it doesn't seem to work that way.

I understand your thoughts can't make something happen to someone else, but it's borderline inhuman to wish pain or anguish on someone that has done nothing to you or a loved one, or is not some disgusting violent criminal or rapist for example. But, whatever gets you through the day dude.

jericho
08-26-2012, 11:41 AM
everybody knows he faked his surgery lol

lookie8
08-26-2012, 12:00 PM
I understand your thoughts can't make something happen to someone else, but it's borderline inhuman to wish pain or anguish on someone that has done nothing to you or a loved one, or is not some disgusting violent criminal or rapist for example. But, whatever gets you through the day dude.

Wishing something on someone is inhumane?

Do you get out into this world?

If you do, you will se some REALLY inhumane stuff out there, some of it perpetrated by people you and your humane friends put into office.

JesusWears24
08-26-2012, 12:08 PM
His back will be ready by opening night but his strength and conditioning will be poor. He will be back before thanksgiving and he wont be "Dwight" until January, which isnt a problem.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 12:09 PM
That's what happens when you don't use proper posture while jerking off

lookie8
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
His back will be ready by opening night but his strength and conditioning will be poor. He will be back before thanksgiving and he wont be "Dwight" until January, which isnt a problem.

Unless he re-injures himself

Hawkeye15
08-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Wishing something on someone is inhumane?

Do you get out into this world?

If you do, you will se some REALLY inhumane stuff out there, some of it perpetrated by people you and your humane friends put into office.

There are a ton of inhumane acts in this world, yes. Doesn't make it right to join the party.

Sactown
08-26-2012, 12:14 PM
There are a ton of inhumane acts in this world, yes. Doesn't make it right to join the party.

Damnit Hawkeye, All I want to do is talk basketball and there you go getting all deep and emotional :mad:

lookie8
08-26-2012, 12:16 PM

I have committed an inhumane act? I think not.

agureghian
08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Christmas day; he will be back