PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual PSD Player Rankings #4 Center In The NBA? (Volume: V)

Mile High Champ
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last four years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. The season is now over and the Heat have been crowned NBA champs which means its time to kick off the off-season player rankings.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron was labelled by some as Choke Artist in the clutch and now this year had one of the greatest finals performances in recent memory. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 4 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2012 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Kevin Garnett
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2011 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Tim Duncan
4) Andrew Bogut
5) Al Horford
6) Marc Gasol
7) Tyson Chandler
8) Joakim Noah
9) Nene
10) Al Jefferson

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

Mile High Champ
08-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Marc Gasol takes this spot for me. He should of been number 3 in my mind.

xxplayerxx23
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Marc. Next gets intresting.

KnicksorBust
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Just look at how well the Grizz played last season and how effective they were defensively. All without their #1 option, Zach Randolph. Gasol anchored that defense playing with a sub-par player in Mo Speights. He easily deserves this spot and could have definately won the last matchup.

b@llhog24
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Gasol. Moose looks good for the next spot.

SteBO
08-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Marc Gasol here for me.

GoPacers33
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Why is Garnet considered a C. He isn't in the top 10 of the any of the last 4 Cs rankings. He should be classified as a PF

b@llhog24
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Why is Garnet considered a C. He isn't in the top 10 of the any of the last 4 Cs rankings. He should be classified as a PF

Because he played Center last season. You'd rather have Brandon Bass in here?

Swashcuff
08-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Tough one for me personally. Duncan is getting overlooked but IMO he has a real solid shot here at 4. He really upped his game when it mattered most just like KG did and his team came away with the best record in the league for the 2nd year in a row. He probably wasn't the Spurs best player last season but he was still extremely valuable.

I'd probably end up choosing Gasol here but Duncan deserves a look.

Mile High Champ
08-24-2012, 11:42 PM

He played center last season. He made the transition just like Tim Duncan did.

seikou8
08-24-2012, 11:51 PM
gasol then duncan then chandler

Ezio
08-24-2012, 11:57 PM
KG is forced to play the 5 just like Horford is.

Hellcrooner
08-25-2012, 12:06 AM
gasol, who should have been picked earlier.

coming next , bogut, sorry but duncan should be in the pf ballot, and the rest of teh centers either have offense and no defene, or have defense and no offense, bogut is the next one with a balanced game.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
When healthy, it's Horford.

I Rock Shaqs
08-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Andrea Bargnani hasn't been a Center for 2 years....

unleashthebeast
08-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Has to be Gasol here imo. Next one gets interesting, Duncan vs Tyson vs healthy Horford

DR_1
08-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Marc, then Duncan

Sadds The Gr8
08-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Gasol.

it'll get interesting after this

SugeKnight
08-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Wonder how far Horford and Bogut will drop

Chronz
08-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Duncan , I have nothing to add

Hawkeye15
08-25-2012, 01:27 AM
well, I know so many care about defining a position, but Duncan has been a center for a decade, and he goes here for me.

Hawkeye15
08-25-2012, 01:27 AM
The 2nd weakest position in the NBA.

NBA-GMaster
08-25-2012, 01:37 AM
IMO.. KG should be on PF list.. Oh well, voted for Gasol..

Ebbs
08-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Sexy Cous

JasonJohnHorn
08-25-2012, 04:05 AM
I voted for Duncan. Gasol may have had a better season statistically, but Duncan's per36 numbers were still around 20/10, he just got fewer minutes. Plus his defence can not be over valued.

That said, I'm surprised that more people haven't voted for Hibbert. He had a great season and a solid playoff performance.

StarvingKnick22
08-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Well, Duncan is a PF, and Tyson should be picked.

greg_ory_2005
08-25-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm going with Gasol.

LJEATON26
08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Went with Gasol. Why is Duncan on the Centers when he is S.A.'s starting PF?

DR_1
08-25-2012, 12:03 PM
The 2nd weakest position in the NBA.

I dont know the C position actually looks pretty deep IMO

Chavacano
08-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Marc Gasol Sez.

NYMetros
08-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Horford

AntiG
08-25-2012, 01:48 PM
IMO.. KG should be on PF list.. Oh well, voted for Gasol..

KG started and played center last season, and will be this season as well. He's a center right now.

b@llhog24
08-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, Duncan is a PF, and Tyson should be picked.

:pity:

You really believed that Boris Diaw is a center?

+1. There's a lot of quality depth at the C position, it's just overblown because there is only one truly dominant big man in Dwight.

MP.Trey
08-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Duncan is criminally underrated. As efficient, if not more efficient than KG last year, as well as Gasol, Chandler, Cousins. Put up practically the same numbers as KG on 50% FG and was the anchor of the incredible Spurs defense last season which led them to a 50-16 season, including that 20 game win streak that spanned into the playoffs.

Catfish1314
08-25-2012, 02:40 PM

He starts next to Boris Diaw. Even if they call Diaw a center, it's really Duncan manning the low block.

I agree. There's a lot of talent at this position even if several of these guys aren't true centers. Without looking though, it could still be the second worst position in the league right now.

Kashmir13579
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Why is Tyson's incredible season being disrespected? Not trying to be a homer but KG over Tyson seems a little ridiculous.

knicksfan42
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Why is Tyson's incredible season being disrespected? Not trying to be a homer but KG over Tyson seems a little ridiculous.

I'll give to to KG, because of his performance in the playoffs, but Tyson should go 4th, looks like Gasol will get it.

knicksfan42
08-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Tyson is a much better rebounder and defender than Gasol. Tyson won DPOY and took the Knicks from one of leagues worst defensive teams to one of the best (top 5). Tyson doesn't have the large array of offensive moves Gasol does, but he still got 11 PPG on the best TS% in NBA history (.708%) vs Marc's .541%. Marc only averaged 3 more points per game. Chandler was better than Marc this season.

ManningToTyree
08-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Gasol

Iggz53
08-25-2012, 04:38 PM
I went with Duncan here. He's starting to really get overlooked at this point in his career, mostly because his minutes are shortened. He's still shockingly amazing if you see him play and his numbers. But him and Gasol stand far above the rest in this spot.

GREATNESS ONE
08-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Marc Gasol was my #3 so I'm taking him at 4 too.

GREATNESS ONE
08-25-2012, 05:23 PM

I get where you're coming at.. I have Tyson in my next spot.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Well, KG is still a top 5 defender and just as good as Chandler on defense and better than Chandler on offense.

xxplayerxx23
08-25-2012, 06:26 PM
I agree with how the top 3 went, Gasol deserves this one. Next is going to be intresting with Tyson and timmy.

DR_1
08-25-2012, 06:53 PM
If tyson chandler is a top 5 center then the world is ending

xxplayerxx23
08-25-2012, 06:55 PM
:shrug: How so. One of the best defensive players in the game and a very good rebounder. 11 points a game on 70 percent.

IversonIsKrazy
08-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Gasol, then Duncan.

seikou8
08-25-2012, 10:56 PM
If tyson chandler is a top 5 center then the world is ending

:facepalm:

THE MTL
08-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Marc Gasol and then Tyson Chandler.

knicksfan42
08-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Marc Gasol and then Tyson Chandler.

Why? Why is Marc Gasol better?

OKC
08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
i went with duncan.
should be him or chandler. gasol after them.

DR_1
08-26-2012, 11:03 AM
:shrug: How so. One of the best defensive players in the game and a very good rebounder. 11 points a game on 70 percent.

He can play D, so what. He's horrible on offense. BTW I'm not trying to bait Knicks fans here, this is just my opinion. I'd take a lot of centers who are more complete over him. Horford, Bogut, Noah, Jeffeson, others

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Meh Bogut not chance his brittle body. Jefferson plays one side of the ball. Noah isnt any better then him on O. Chandler is the most efficent scorer(I know all dunks) But shot 70 percent. Only one I can think of is Timmy over Chandler. Maybe Horford too.

knicksfan42
08-26-2012, 11:32 AM
He can play D, so what.

He took a team that was 21st in defensive efficiency last season to 5th in defensive efficiency this season. He was DPOY this year.

He's horrible on offense. BTW I'm not trying to bait Knicks fans here, this is just my opinion.

Actually being horrible on offense is mostly a fact based statement and Tyson Chandler had the most efficient offensive game in the history of the NBA this season, that alone precludes him from being horrible offensively. Yea most of his scoring comes from dunks and lay ups right around the rim, but who gives a **** in the end he'll give you 11 points on a higher efficiency than anyone else in the league.

I'd take a lot of centers who are more complete over him. Horford, Bogut, Noah, Jeffeson, others

Honestly if Bogut and Horford were healthy I might take them over Chandler too, but they weren't last season.

Noah's game is far far more incomplete than Chandlers. He scores less than Chandler on a much lower percentage, and his defense is not nearly as good.

DR_1
08-26-2012, 01:13 PM
If you actually watch them, you will see Noah has a far better post move arsenal than Chandler's, and Noah is the best passing big man in the league. And he's not that far behind on defense either. The whole 70% shooting shows you how miseleading stats can be.

It really comes down to team need. However, I think Noah is the more complete player. They both are great fits on their teams however.

knicksfan42
08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
If you actually watch them, you will see Noah has a far better post move arsenal than Chandler's, and Noah is the best passing big man in the league. And he's not that far behind on defense either. The whole 70% shooting shows you how miseleading stats can be.

It really comes down to team need. However, I think Noah is the more complete player. They both are great fits on their teams however.

I agree that Noah has more post moves than Chandler, I'm saying that doesn't matter. Noah isn't going to be a big part of any team's offense and neither is Chandler so it really doesn't matter how they score especially if its all in the paint. In the end Chandler is going to score about the same number of points as Noah he's just going to do it much more efficiently.

If I had the choice between Chandler scoring 10 points on 50% shooting using a bevy of post moves or Chandler scoring 10 points on 70% shooting just doing dunks and lay ups right next to the rim I would choose the latter 10 times out of 10.

As for passing, Lee, Bogut, both Gasols, TD, and KG are all better.

He actually is significantly far behind defensively.

Chronz
08-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Noah cant touch him defensively, can you elaborate on why 70% shooting is misleading you?

DR_1
08-26-2012, 05:14 PM
70% shooting is misleading because it's not that great if it's just dunks. I want to know that my guy can at least make a shot/do a post move, because it makes the offense that much more effective. Noah's good enough where you have to at least resoect his offensive ability.

Also, Noah is not signifigantly behind Chandler on defense either. He's one of the only bigs I've seen who can guard perimeter and post players, and guard them well. Also don't forget he's a top rebounder in the league too. And I have no doubt that he is the best passing big in the league. Just watch his games.

Chronz
08-26-2012, 05:49 PM
70% shooting is misleading because it's not that great if it's just dunks. I want to know that my guy can at least make a shot/do a post move, because it makes the offense that much more effective. Noah's good enough where you have to at least resoect his offensive ability.
I disagree, do you have any proof to support the claim that shooting 70% isnt more impressive than shooting a much lower %? Where is the proof that makes his teams offense that much more effective? A guy shooting 70% is a feat few players can achieve, if it were so easy I think Chicago would have told Noah they could use the efficiency since hes not a featured part of the offense. He is a great passer but dont act like what TC can be done by just anyone. Noah shoots a horrible % in the post, hes nowhere near as dominant in the PnR (yes that is an individual ability) despite Noah playing with Rose and Tyson playing with a revolving door of teammates.

Also, Noah is not signifigantly behind Chandler on defense either. He's one of the only bigs I've seen who can guard perimeter and post players, and guard them well. Also don't forget he's a top rebounder in the league too. And I have no doubt that he is the best passing big in the league. Just watch his games.
He is a great passer but with regards to his defense, hes not in the class of the DPOY. The Bulls dont depend on him nearly as much as the Knicks did for TC. Noah SUCKS at defending his own man because of hes constantly helping and agile enough to recover, but even 1 on 1 in the post he gets scored on at a higher rate than TC. Tyson Chandler literally shuts down his counterpart while shutting down the interior. Noah cant touch that

DR_1
08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Well Chronz we will have to agree to disagree. If he's late getting to his man, which he rarely is, it's because he is covering for Boozer.

xxplayerxx23
08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
And chandler has Amare to cover for.

Chronz
08-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Well Chronz we will have to agree to disagree. If he's late getting to his man, which he rarely is, it's because he is covering for Boozer.

Thats the difference, Tyson is even more rarely caught out of position and he defends the post much better 1 on 1. Noah cant touch TC.

TC last year with the Mavs was the biggest reason they shut down bron whereas Noah has minimal effect.

DR_1
08-26-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm not saying Chandler's not great, I'm just saying he's not miles and miles above everyone else.

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Marc Gasol is the easy choice here. How so many people think Kevin Garnett is the third best center, when he's only a center by necessity? Tim Duncan does a better job playing out of position at center than Garnett. Tyson Chandler is better than Garnett Defensively at this point. Most starting centers are better than him offensively at this point.

Here are my top-4 center rankings:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Andrew Bynum
3. Marc Gasol
4. Tyson Chandler.

knicksfan42
08-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Marc Gasol is the easy choice here. How so many people think Kevin Garnett is the third best center, when he's only a center by necessity? Tim Duncan does a better job playing out of position at center than Garnett. Tyson Chandler is better than Garnett Defensively at this point. Most starting centers are better than him offensively at this point.

Here are my top-4 center rankings:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Andrew Bynum
3. Marc Gasol
4. Tyson Chandler.

Garnett is a better scorer, rebounder, and defender than Gasol and stepped his game up greatly in the playoffs.

Chandler is a much better rebounder and defender than Marc and scores far more efficiently too.

I don't see why Marc should go over either of them.

ClearSoulForce
08-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Between Gasol and Chandler.

Knicks fans overrate the hell outta Chandler but he is still a top 2 low post defender and his impact is monumental.

seikou8
08-27-2012, 02:22 AM

Knicks fans overrate the hell outta Chandler but he is still a top 2 low post defender and his impact is monumental.

no we don't man just we support our players and use facts to prove why our guy should be this high not all knicks fans are homers.

knicksfan42
08-27-2012, 08:06 AM

How is anyone overrating Chandler? Almost no one voted for him in the top 3. People are overrating the hell out of Marc Gasol.

So a guy that is, as you said, a top 2 low post defender (significantly better defender overall than Marc), a significantly better rebounder than Marc, and scores 20% more efficiently than Marc (league historic high TS% of .708% this year) isn't better than him?

Swashcuff
08-27-2012, 09:04 AM
If there is one Knick player who their fans generally don't overrate its Tyson Chandler. Amar'e? Yes. Melo? Yes Shumpert? HELL YES but as for Tyson I think they rate him pretty accurately.

YoungOne
08-27-2012, 10:35 AM
And chandler has Amare to cover for.

thats no argument, noah has boozer and gasol has randolph/speights :D

Hellcrooner
08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
so ehy exactly is this still open?
lets go to number 5.
And against everybody ill vote bogut there.

NBA-GMaster
08-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Goin for Duncan on #5.. Hibbert, Horford and Chandler(in random order) will be 6,7,&8..

Chronz
08-27-2012, 01:02 PM
How does KG get ahead but Duncan?

knicksfan42
08-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Can anyone tell me why Marc Gasol deserves to go ahead of Chandler?