PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thought

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I realised this while watching Point Gaurds in general play, including myself. When they try to make a pass in the paint or anywhere, allowing an easy shot, they get ready to be awarded with an assist. But the player you pass it to,when they shoot, it misses and they are fouled. You just lost a chance at an assist after a perfect pass. :cry: So What if, when the foul shooter makes atleast one shot, the passer is rewarded with the assist?
Also, how about whent a person shoots a technical foul shot, it counts as 2 points, instead of one? It will cause players to get techs less.
Response?:confused:

Hawkeye15
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
you trying to pad your stats?

seikou8
08-24-2012, 03:02 PM
no to assists crap and maybe to tech foul shot

Hawkeye15
08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Stockton would have had 10,000 more assists with this.

RealLiveBear
08-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Kind of diminish all the point guards who came before if you put this into effect now the stats from players from here on out would just be inflated. Thats my opinion anyway, As for tech idea not a bad one.

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Cmon guys. you know changes have to be made at some point whether it affects others in the past or not. and Stockton WOULD have 5,000 more assist lol

Hawkeye15
08-24-2012, 03:16 PM
or they could just give 2 FT's for a technical, like AT EVERY OTHER LEVEL IN BASKETBALL!

Hawkeye15
08-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I will admit, I might have yelled at my teammate a couple times for blowing my assist, because I didn't pass much. I could have really used those dimes.

IndyRealist
08-24-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think the NBA will mess with how traditional box score numbers are calculated, though they may add to them (+/-, for example). Otherwise they should be tracking hockey assists as well.

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
or they could just give 2 FT's for a technical, like AT EVERY OTHER LEVEL IN BASKETBALL!

you dont have to yell! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 03:44 PM
ok who messed with my tags and put paddin stat?

KnickaBocka.44
08-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Cmon guys. you know changes have to be made at some point whether it affects others in the past or not. and Stockton WOULD have 5,000 more assist lol

Why do changes have to be made? If the player doesn't make the shot and gets fouled maybe it was your fault for not putting the pass in the right spot to give him the best chance to finish AND get the free throw.

As a big guy, it would really piss me off when I got fouled around the basket, after catching a ball that was thrown below my knees, and then my point guard makes a gesture/comment about finishing. There are two sides to every coin, or in this case, two sides to every dime :cool:

MP.Trey
08-24-2012, 06:08 PM
I've been saying for years that if the foul shooter makes both free throws off a pass, it should count as an assist for the passer.

Definition of an assist: "credited to a player tossing the last pass leading directly to a field goal."

If Steve Nash passes to Kobe and Kobe gets fouled, he goes to the free throw line and makes both, that's not exactly leading directly to a field goal, but did lead directly to two points for the team. If an assist is supposed to gauge how good of a passer and team player you are, why not count that in some form of statistic?

IndyHeatjman
08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
I've been saying for years that if the foul shooter makes both free throws off a pass, it should count as an assist for the passer.

Definition of an assist: "credited to a player tossing the last pass leading directly to a field goal."

If Steve Nash passes to Kobe and Kobe gets fouled, he goes to the free throw line and makes both, that's not exactly leading directly to a field goal, but did lead directly to two points for the team. If an assist is supposed to gauge how good of a passer and team player you are, "why not count that in some form of statistic?"

^^^What like a half-assassist? IMO,If the pass dosen't lead to a field goal, then its just another pass. Should we keep track of every pass players make then? I think not.

KnickaBocka.44
08-24-2012, 06:21 PM

If Steve Nash passes to Kobe and Kobe gets fouled, he goes to the free throw line and makes both, that's not exactly leading directly to a field goal, but did lead directly to two points for the team. If an assist is supposed to gauge how good of a passer and team player you are, why not count that in some form of statistic?

It didn't lead directly to two points for the team. The player who got fouled took the contact and then had to make those free throws from, in most cases, a different spot on the floor than where they recieved the ball from the passer.

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Why do changes have to be made? If the player doesn't make the shot and gets fouled maybe it was your fault for not putting the pass in the right spot to give him the best chance to finish AND get the free throw.

As a big guy, it would really piss me off when I got fouled around the basket, after catching a ball that was thrown below my knees, and then my point guard makes a gesture/comment about finishing. There are two sides to every coin, or in this case, two sides to every dime :cool:

ok I admit that was funny.but it in all serious, is it our fault that I pass it to you and then someone comes out nowhere to foul you? Think about it.

KnickaBocka.44
08-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Definitely not. But wouldn't you be even more pissed at your teammate if they missed both free throws?

MP.Trey
08-25-2012, 02:12 PM
It didn't lead directly to two points for the team. The player who got fouled took the contact and then had to make those free throws from, in most cases, a different spot on the floor than where they recieved the ball from the passer.

How did it not? The person shooting the free throws received the pass, without that pass, they wouldn't have gotten the shot attempt up and shot the free throws. Treat it the same as an assist, if you pass it, and it directly leads to a shot attempt in which you got fouled, and he hits two foul shots. Then it's a pass that lead directly to two points. Why not credit that somehow?

And to the other guy, you don't need to keep track of all passes, of course not, that'd be ridiculous. But passes that lead to a field goal attempt, yes, why not?

KnickaBocka.44
08-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I see the point you guys are trying to make but assists come from field goals. That is what qualifies it as an assist. If you make a nice pass and your teammate gets fouled, your teammate still knows you made a nice pass even if you don't get an assist. That's all that really matters. My advice is to stop worrying so much about stats and just play the game. Try and get as many assists as possible so if you lose a couple due to fouls it won't matter. It will definitely make you the most popular player on your team.

I Rock Shaqs
08-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I realised this while watching Point Gaurds in general play, including myself. When they try to make a pass in the paint or anywhere, allowing an easy shot, they get ready to be awarded with an assist. But the player you pass it to,when they shoot, it misses and they are fouled. You just lost a chance at an assist after a perfect pass. :cry: So What if, when the foul shooter makes atleast one shot, the passer is rewarded with the assist?
Also, how about whent a person shoots a technical foul shot, it counts as 2 points, instead of one? It will cause players to get techs less.
Response?:confused:

Damn you suck at spelling, but yeah I agree, I was playing 2k yesterday and i had like 12 turnovers with like 7 assists, and we shot like 24 free throws but I didn't get any credit for it.

ACanadian
08-25-2012, 02:53 PM
It didn't bother me in high school ball, I just wanted the win, stat's are not everything

thefeckcampaign
08-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow, a lot of you guys were sure *******s to each other when you played.

MP.Trey
08-25-2012, 04:57 PM
I see the point you guys are trying to make but assists come from field goals. That is what qualifies it as an assist. If you make a nice pass and your teammate gets fouled, your teammate still knows you made a nice pass even if you don't get an assist. That's all that really matters. My advice is to stop worrying so much about stats and just play the game. Try and get as many assists as possible so if you lose a couple due to fouls it won't matter. It will definitely make you the most popular player on your team.

Not going to debate that at all. Just speaking purely as a fan, I'm a big stat guy, felt like it'd be interesting and help clarify the elite passers of the league.

KnickaBocka.44
08-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Not going to debate that at all. Just speaking purely as a fan, I'm a big stat guy, felt like it'd be interesting and help clarify the elite passers of the league.

Isn't that what assist/turnover ratio, assist % and other advanced stats are for?

StarvingKnick22
08-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Damn you suck at spelling, but yeah I agree, I was playing 2k yesterday and i had like 12 turnovers with like 7 assists, and we shot like 24 free throws but I didn't get any credit for it.

Why do you always have a shirtless NBA player in your sig?