PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual PSD Player Rankings #3 Center In The NBA? (Volume: V)

Mile High Champ
08-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last four years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. The season is now over and the Heat have been crowned NBA champs which means its time to kick off the off-season player rankings.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron was labelled by some as Choke Artist in the clutch and now this year had one of the greatest finals performances in recent memory. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 4 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

2012 Off-Season PSD C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2011 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Tim Duncan
4) Andrew Bogut
5) Al Horford
6) Marc Gasol
7) Tyson Chandler
8) Joakim Noah
9) Nene
10) Al Jefferson

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

koetravis
08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Kg.

heyman321
08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Marc Gasol.

Faneik
08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Al Jefferson

greg_ory_2005
08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Garnett.

SugeKnight
08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Garnett. There is no way anyone can match his passion and intensity, and moving over to center rejuvenated him.

SaimuKala
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
KG.

Where's McGee?

SteBO
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Kevin Garnett.

Mile High Champ
08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Swashcuff,

You asked me why I went with Gasol last poll over Bynum, here is my argument. While I believe Bynum to be the more explosive offensive player, I see Gasol as being more diverse (especially on the low block). Gasol has much better footwork around the low block than Bynum and he has a greater variety of moves including that smooth hook to his left or right. I do believe Bynum is capable of being a numbe 1 option on a team, I think too often he can be a black hole on offense.

As far as defense goes, Gasol has the edge here as he is a better defender is almost every respect. Don't get me wrong, Bynum is good too but Gasol has the advantage when it comes defending in isolation, posting up and spot up shooters. While the margins are small, Gasol is still better. Also I believe that Pau Gasol really protected Bynum defensively as I often saw Bynum get the weaker defensive assignment, thus allowing Bynum to have an easier time on defense and allowing him to being isolated as a great help defender. Marc Gasol did not have that luxury.

Its a close argument but I would much rather have Gasol over Bynum and had Gasol had Bynum supporting cast last season, I think many would be agreeing with me.

Mile High Champ
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
KG.

Where's McGee?

McGee was awful last year. He has no business being anywhere near the top 10. I will add him down the road but I don't think anyone can argue for him here.

DR_1
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Accidentaly voted for Marc. KG here.

greg_ory_2005
08-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Where's McGee?

Not on the poll. Exactly as it should be.

Gibby23
08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Marc

Ebbs
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Although I'll accept Marc and maybe Garnett I'm going with Cousins who can flat out take over a game to a degree neither of the previously 2 guys mentioned can. Though maturity and consistency are still question marks Cousins is to much of a force to ignore.

CB29
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
whoops accidentally voted for hibbert. notch another for KG

Ezio
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Kg

Hawkeye15
08-23-2012, 05:52 PM
I would say add Pekovic to the next poll, but it would simply be for me to go homer on when #10 comes up.

KG here.

Will 2 BE
08-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Its KG he did a great job being Bostons center when they had no one else to really cover that position

Swashcuff
08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
KG here for me best all around player left on the board

MP.Trey
08-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Duncan > Garnett. Still.

MP.Trey
08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Duncan: 15.4/9.0/2.3/1.5/0.7 on 49% shooting. 53% True Shooting. 50-16 record.
Garnett: 15.8/8.2/2.9/1.0/0.9 on 50% shooting. 55% True Shooting. 39-27 Record.

Swashcuff
08-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Swashcuff,

You asked me why I went with Gasol last poll over Bynum, here is my argument. While I believe Bynum to be the more explosive offensive player, I see Gasol as being more diverse (especially on the low block). Gasol has much better footwork around the low block than Bynum and he has a greater variety of moves including that smooth hook to his left or right. I do believe Bynum is capable of being a numbe 1 option on a team, I think too often he can be a black hole on offense.

As far as defense goes, Gasol has the edge here as he is a better defender is almost every respect. Don't get me wrong, Bynum is good too but Gasol has the advantage when it comes defending in isolation, posting up and spot up shooters. While the margins are small, Gasol is still better. Also I believe that Pau Gasol really protected Bynum defensively as I often saw Bynum get the weaker defensive assignment, thus allowing Bynum to have an easier time on defense and allowing him to being isolated as a great help defender. Marc Gasol did not have that luxury.

Its a close argument but I would much rather have Gasol over Bynum and had Gasol had Bynum supporting cast last season, I think many would be agreeing with me.

Can't really fault you for anything you said here as I basically agree with almost all of it but IMO Bynum was just a better/more valuable player. You said that Gasol took defensive pressure off of Bynum but you didn't mention because of an SG who failed to utilize one of the most gifted low post players in the league. I really see no bonus in saying that Gasol was more gifted in the low block when you consider the fact that he was less effective/efficient down there.

As for Pau usually getting the tougher defensive assignment that's more a less a given when you consider the fact that he was a PF in a league where the PF is arguably the strongest position. The same can be said for Marc as he was for the most part also guarding the opposing team's C.

I really don't see Gasol as the type of player who could take over a game offensively or on either end of the glass like Bynum. Which is why I think that despite having Bynum's cast he still wouldn't be seen as a better player. One can argue that he's a better fit than Bynum however.

In the same ways Bynum's cast helped him they hurt him. Gasol was in a position last season to be the focal point of the Grizzlies offense as their best player with Randolph out but yet still he failed to generate better offensive basic or advanced #s than Bynum. I am of the opinion that the rebounding and offensive gap that Bynum brings compensates for the defensive and passing gap that Marc brings.

I agree with you though its a close argument.

ManningToTyree
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Garnett.

Someone voted for Lopez :pity:

Greet
08-23-2012, 06:31 PM
This should be Marc Gasol......

Toastyy
08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
**** off kevin Garnett!!! Demarcus should be third

CousinsEvansDUO
08-23-2012, 06:39 PM
36 year old Kevin Garnett is not better than DeMarcus Cousins. When the season start anyone who voted for KG and not Cousins will feel like a complete idiot.

Knicks21
08-23-2012, 06:45 PM
KG then Chandler then Timmy.

JLynn943
08-23-2012, 07:12 PM
36 year old Kevin Garnett is not better than DeMarcus Cousins. When the season start anyone who voted for KG and not Cousins will feel like a complete idiot.

Defensively, KG is better. Scoring and rebounding though, Cousins is superior and as good as anybody else at center imo. He's got my vote here on out until he gets a spot.

Iggz53
08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
lol at Cousins. If we're rating this based on number of shots attempted, then sure, he's got that on KG.

Should be KG, Duncan, and Gasol rounding up the next 3. In what order, it's hard to tell but I went with KG here. He stepped up big offensively and defensively and is still one of the best defenders in the NBA, which is bizarre for a 36 year old. He does everything you would want on the court.

rockets-fan
08-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Marc gasol....true center there

Kg is good and all but he's one year older and he's not a true center IMO...just playing it.

IversonIsKrazy
08-23-2012, 08:07 PM
KG. hands down, he show'd that he can still produce big during the playoffs.

Ebbs
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
People who get mad at Cousins for the # of shot attempts he takes clearly don't watch basketball. Looking at #'s in a spread sheet only takes you so far

packfan1
08-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Hibbert

StarvingKnick22
08-23-2012, 09:04 PM
It should be Tyson. SMH

DoMeFavors
08-23-2012, 10:09 PM
It should be Tyson. SMH

KG is a better post up player, jump shooter, passer and went to ECF what are you talking about?

NBA-GMaster
08-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Goin for Gasol.. But Kg will probably win this 3rd spot..

Catfish1314
08-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Although I'll accept Marc and maybe Garnett I'm going with Cousins who can flat out take over a game to a degree neither of the previously 2 guys mentioned can. Though maturity and consistency are still question marks Cousins is to much of a force to ignore.

I wish I could agree with you. Cousins is the best rebounder on the poll by a healthy margin. I've seen him control the flow of games through stretches just by gobbling up the boards and clogging the lane defensively.

Offensively though, I think he's still too inefficient and not the best decision maker. Defensively, he is far too foul prone and not effective enough to be considered over guys like Garnett. That said, I'm definitely looking for him to make the same third-year jump next season that guys like Love, Westbrook, and Rose made and climb as high as second or third on the list.

I went Garnett simply because he's the most complete option left. He is still an absolute game changer defensively, versatile and efficient offensively, a solid rebounder, is coming off a monster postseason, and provides every intangible a coach looks for in a veteran player.

GREATNESS ONE
08-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Taking Marc here at C

aussie
08-24-2012, 12:00 AM
robin lopez

Iggz53
08-24-2012, 12:01 AM
People who get mad at Cousins for the # of shot attempts he takes clearly don't watch basketball. Looking at #'s in a spread sheet only takes you so far

I wouldn't say people are mad, they just recognize that he isn't a smart offensive player. His shot selection and decision making is really lacking, and it isn't just a product of being on a young team. It's a product of him being young and immature on that side of the court. Talent and production are 2 different things.

knicksfan42
08-24-2012, 12:02 AM
KG here.

AntiG
08-24-2012, 12:36 AM
McGee was awful last year. He has no business being anywhere near the top 10. I will add him down the road but I don't think anyone can argue for him here.

He deserves a look. During the playoffs he was a beast.

sunsfan88
08-24-2012, 02:34 AM
40 year old KG over Marc Gasol?

Dat cray cray.

Hellcrooner
08-24-2012, 03:20 AM
kg?
what a joke.

O yeah i guess he got skipped from pf list because he would have fallen OUT of it.:rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
08-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Can't really fault you for anything you said here as I basically agree with almost all of it but IMO Bynum was just a better/more valuable player. You said that Gasol took defensive pressure off of Bynum but you didn't mention because of an SG who failed to utilize one of the most gifted low post players in the league. I really see no bonus in saying that Gasol was more gifted in the low block when you consider the fact that he was less effective/efficient down there.

As for Pau usually getting the tougher defensive assignment that's more a less a given when you consider the fact that he was a PF in a league where the PF is arguably the strongest position. The same can be said for Marc as he was for the most part also guarding the opposing team's C.

I really don't see Gasol as the type of player who could take over a game offensively or on either end of the glass like Bynum. Which is why I think that despite having Bynum's cast he still wouldn't be seen as a better player. One can argue that he's a better fit than Bynum however.

In the same ways Bynum's cast helped him they hurt him. Gasol was in a position last season to be the focal point of the Grizzlies offense as their best player with Randolph out but yet still he failed to generate better offensive basic or advanced #s than Bynum. I am of the opinion that the rebounding and offensive gap that Bynum brings compensates for the defensive and passing gap that Marc brings.

I agree with you though its a close argument.

you mean when zach was out but he had to bear mayo, gay and conley chucking like crazy and sometimes ignoring him completely?
:rolleyes:

check the playoff gams vs clippers, he got involved AND BEASTED in 4 of them, they won 3, he was invisible to the chuckers the other 3, lost all three.

Meanwhile bynum was artificially raised to "secon option" force fed, and the owners stupid son brought a coach with the only purpose of making him shine and feature more offense trough him.
How did that go?

JasonJohnHorn
08-24-2012, 03:42 AM
How is KG running away with this in a landslide? I agree he deserves some love, but wow! I thought this would be much closer.

Iggz53
08-24-2012, 04:31 AM
kg?
what a joke.

O yeah i guess he got skipped from pf list because he would have fallen OUT of it.:rolleyes:

Agreed. List of C's should be as follows:

1. Marc Gasol
2. Pau Gasol (he should be counted for both)
3. Serge Ibaka (same here)
4. Fernando Martín
5. Jorge Garbajosa
6. No one because everyone else sucks

Swashcuff
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
you mean when zach was out but he had to bear mayo, gay and conley chucking like crazy and sometimes ignoring him completely?
:rolleyes:

You can combine all thee of them into a single chucking monster and they still wouldn't equate to last season's Kobe Bryant in that regard.

check the playoff gams vs clippers, he got involved AND BEASTED in 4 of them, they won 3, he was invisible to the chuckers the other 3, lost all three.

I have NO CLUE what you considered beating but at no point during last season or post season did Marc Gasol come close to doing that.

Meanwhile bynum was artificially raised to "secon option" force fed, and the owners stupid son brought a coach with the only purpose of making him shine and feature more offense trough him.
How did that go?

Crooner you would say anything to justify why Pau Gasol was not a better player than he was. He was legitimately raised to the 2nd option because he was flat out better than Pau last season in the low block and everyone knows this.

Hellcrooner
08-24-2012, 10:31 AM
You can combine all thee of them into a single chucking monster and they still wouldn't equate to last season's Kobe Bryant in that regard.

I have NO CLUE what you considered beating but at no point during last season or post season did Marc Gasol come close to doing that.

Crooner you would say anything to justify why Pau Gasol was not a better player than he was. He was legitimately raised to the 2nd option because he was flat out better than Pau last season in the low block and everyone knows this.

Check Advanced stats bout efficiency in the Post, and get surprised, bynum is THIRD behind Pau and Kobe in the lakers.
Yet he took the MOST shots in the post while M brown had Kobe shooting stupid 1 on 4 very long jumpers and pau patroling the 3p line....:facepalm:

xxplayerxx23
08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
KG :nod:

unleashthebeast
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Yeah I had to go with KG here.

AntiG
08-24-2012, 12:21 PM
KG ftw.

Lakersfan2483
08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Marc Gasol.

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 12:54 PM
KG is a better post up player, jump shooter, passer and went to ECF what are you talking about?

yeah but he should still be counted as a PF

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-24-2012, 01:05 PM
yeah but he should still be counted as a PF

Even though he played center for most of last season...

Rivera
08-24-2012, 01:05 PM
KG! look how he re-invigorated himself and how boston took off after he became the center. boston was a .500 team fighting for a playoff spot (they were the 8 seed) before KG became the center and the rest is history

TheNumber37
08-24-2012, 01:59 PM
KG. amaZing. his first time playing the position full time and he's the 3rd best. Marc Gasol should surpass this season. sorry, buddy until you defend, lead and 22,12 it deep into the playoffs. you can't unseat the big ticket!

Swashcuff
08-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Check Advanced stats bout efficiency in the Post, and get surprised, bynum is THIRD behind Pau and Kobe in the lakers.
Yet he took the MOST shots in the post while M brown had Kobe shooting stupid 1 on 4 very long jumpers and pau patroling the 3p line....:facepalm:

Oh really Crooner. Can you enlighten me as to where you got this info because from my knowledge this is untrue. Andrew Bynum (57.3%) shot at a better eFG% than both Pau Gasol (55.9%) and Kobe Bryant (54.0%) from 9 feet inwards last season.

If you really wanna talk about low post then those %s go even higher in Bynum's favour.

Chavacano
08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Marc Gasol Sáez.

Chronz
08-24-2012, 02:33 PM
KG is definitely #2 in the playoffs. But I guess we cant just ignore 60 games or whatever it was

Swashcuff
08-24-2012, 02:34 PM
KG is definitely #2 in the playoffs. But I guess we cant just ignore 60 games or whatever it was

Who do you think was #1 in the playoffs?

Heediot
08-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Hibbert. I consider KG a PF, sorry.

Chronz
08-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Who do you think was #1 in the playoffs?

He wasnt playing in the playoffs, but I guess you could argue Duncan or KG

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 03:33 PM
duncan sucked because people told him he was old and collapsed indefinately. the spurs dont have a chance this season.

StarvingKnick22
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
and i still consider kevin a Power Foward. so Tyson Chandler should have been third.

DR_1
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
duncan sucked because people told him he was old and collapsed indefinately. the spurs dont have a chance this season.

:facepalm:

MintBerryCrunch
08-24-2012, 04:46 PM
No <3 for Joakim

MintBerryCrunch
08-24-2012, 04:46 PM
and i still consider kevin a Power Foward. so Tyson Chandler should have been third.

Tyson Chandler??? Seriously bro??

DR_1
08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Noah>Chandler

X12Celtics3
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Hibbert. I consider KG a PF, sorry.

That's cool and all... but since he didn't play power forward last year, it wouldn't have made any sense to have him on that poll.

b@llhog24
08-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Oh really Crooner. Can you enlighten me as to where you got this info because from my knowledge this is untrue. Andrew Bynum (57.3%) shot at a better eFG% than both Pau Gasol (55.9%) and Kobe Bryant (54.0%) from 9 feet inwards last season.

If you really wanna talk about low post then those %s go even higher in Bynum's favour.

Synergy has him ranked behind Gasol and Bryant I believe.

Jarvo
08-24-2012, 06:22 PM
No McGee!?! Man that's messed up :facepalm:

Jarvo
08-24-2012, 06:25 PM

:facepalm: but you have guys who were injured half the season or the whole season and Nene & Bargnani!!!! Lol those two are good but cmon man

xxplayerxx23
08-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Lol Noah is overrated. Gasol then chandler for me the next too. Then Duncan.