PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com Rookie Survey

DreamShaker
08-23-2012, 01:36 PM
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/john_schuhmann/08/23/2012-nba-rookie-survey?cid=nba_12_facebook_L

I know some may not really care, so if you say "who cares", well, poopoo on you! JKing. But it was interesting to see what the players thought of each others skills. I also found it hilarious that someone picked J.R. Smith as their favorite player. Somebody plans on shooting their team out of games.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
The adjustment to the game one is funny to me. The top item voted was "the pace or speed of the game". The pro game is actually slower than the college game, where they are always moving at 1,000,000%, where in the pro's, its much more paced, timed, and when the opportunities present themselves is whent he sudden change of speed is seen. Test my theory. Go to a college game. Their perimeter players and bigs run around full speed no matter how far out of the play they are. In the pros, spacing and using that time as quick rests and lulling defenders asleep is used instead.

koetravis
08-23-2012, 01:53 PM
If you look at past years it has 'most over looked' and Jeremy Lin is on there.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Celtics have two in the top 4 for funniest:win:

smith&wesson
08-23-2012, 02:08 PM
If you look at past years it has 'most over looked' and Jeremy Lin is on there.

but in reality he is the most over rated.

smith&wesson
08-23-2012, 02:09 PM
The adjustment to the game one is funny to me. The top item voted was "the pace or speed of the game". The pro game is actually slower than the college game, where they are always moving at 1,000,000%, where in the pro's, its much more paced, timed, and when the opportunities present themselves is whent he sudden change of speed is seen. Test my theory. Go to a college game. Their perimeter players and bigs run around full speed no matter how far out of the play they are. In the pros, spacing and using that time as quick rests and lulling defenders asleep is used instead.

def agree.. one of the reasons why i love watching ncaa.

KnicksPain
08-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Thats an interesting topic because you hear players say the speed of the game is the hardest to adjust to because its so much faster, contradicting what your saying. However you do hear a few players say that the NBA game is easier than college. I was shocked when I heard Chris Paul say that, but he isnt the only one Ive heard say it.

Im guessing the shorter shot clock and the superior athletes at every position is where the pace comes in. With college everything is more packed in with everyone running zone, and a shorter 3 point line. Also less talented players staying in their respective areas of the floor as oppose to PF shooting 3s in the pros.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Thats an interesting topic because you hear players say the speed of the game is the hardest to adjust to because its so much faster, contradicting what your saying. However you do hear a few players say that the NBA game is easier than college. I was shocked when I heard Chris Paul say that, but he isnt the only one Ive heard say it.

Im guessing the shorter shot clock and the superior athletes at every position is where the pace comes in. With college everything is more packed in with everyone running zone, and a shorter 3 point line. Also less talented players staying in their respective areas of the floor as oppose to PF shooting 3s in the pros.

It's even more. The coaching is better at the NBA level, the players understanding of the game is better, etc, so they are not running around constantly like chickens with their heads cut off like in the NCAA. There is more structure. I would guess playing 4 times a week, and more minutes has something to do with the pace as well. The offenses are much more structured, the NBA defenses don't pressure the ball over every inch of the floor because you will get toasted immediately at that level, and there are just a bunch of factors. It comes down to, NCAA players are wasting movements, where as pros don't do that. Same in every sport on the planet that requires speed and strength.

Jays Claw
08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I love how the survey overlooks Jonas Valanciunas. He'll make a name for himself in this class especially considering he's 1 year ahead of his peers (played professionally in Lithuania last year).

KnicksPain
08-23-2012, 02:35 PM
It's even more. The coaching is better at the NBA level, the players understanding of the game is better, etc, so they are not running around constantly like chickens with their heads cut off like in the NCAA. There is more structure. I would guess playing 4 times a week, and more minutes has something to do with the pace as well. The offenses are much more structured, the NBA defenses don't pressure the ball over every inch of the floor because you will get toasted immediately at that level, and there are just a bunch of factors. It comes down to, NCAA players are wasting movements, where as pros don't do that. Same in every sport on the planet that requires speed and strength.

Yeah, NBA pace is faster but you have more meaningless exertion in college.

*Superman*
08-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Yay we have the second funniest rookie! Take that league.

2. Kyle O'Quinn, Orlando -- 20.0 percent

KnicksPain
08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
I love how the survey overlooks Jonas Valanciunas. He'll make a name for himself in this class especially considering he's 1 year ahead of his peers (played professionally in Lithuania last year).

You have to look at it like this, with the AAU circuit these rookies have probably known each other since they were underclassmen in high school, even if they played in different areas of the country. They know the others games but most of them have never played Jonas, and even if some had at like a junior international competition your not gonna come away with an in depth understanding of his game, personality, or potential in one game.

ACanadian
08-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Everyone on the Raptor's are overlooked, everyone here is always talking about NY n LAL, it's funny but ridiculous at the same time

GREATNESS ONE
08-23-2012, 02:56 PM
HellullzCrooner

ChiSox219
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I wonder who said JR Smith is their favorite player.

ZHawk1123
08-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I knew Melo was a good pick... Rookie Comedian of the Year

Gram
08-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Kim English is the man.

YoungOne
08-23-2012, 03:59 PM

but his olympic play was not impressive.

ACanadian
08-23-2012, 05:10 PM
but his olympic play was not impressive.

You try to play against the worlds best players at 20 years old. Last time I checked their we not one Celtic on team USA, not impressive.

Ebbs
08-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Best part was the "to be a fly on the wall at Celtics traing camp and see KG's reaction to the rookies humor."

YoungOne
08-23-2012, 05:47 PM
You try to play against the worlds best players at 20 years old. Last time I checked their we not one Celtic on team USA, not impressive.

so you say the olympic competition with all of its teams is better than nba competition??
and what does this has to do with the celtics? baiter...

GunFactor187
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Kim English = STEAL!

xILLN355
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
who cares

mdm692
08-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Best playmaker in this draft class is in phx :cool:

Blazers#1Fan
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Best playmaker in this draft class is in phx :cool:

But the best and most overlooked rookie is in portland
Lillard = R.O.Y.

spreadeagle
08-23-2012, 06:36 PM
I like this

Worth noting: "Dude's just a freak of nature," one player said of Acy. "He's got super bounce and his hands are ridiculously big." This was the only question (of the first eight) in which the Wizards' Bradley Beal didn't receive a vote. Beal didn't win any category, but we'll give him the unofficial title of Mr. Versatility.

dalton749
08-23-2012, 06:36 PM
toronto continues to get crazy athletic. throw a lineup of lowry ross derozan acy and valanciunas out there just to throw alleys

ACanadian
08-23-2012, 06:47 PM
so you say the olympic competition with all of its teams is better than nba competition??
and what does this has to do with the celtics? baiter...

Team USA is the best players out of the NBA, and thats what I bet your referring too, but don't you agree that is would be easier to score on NBA centers ( excluding Dwight & Bynum ) rather then facing olympic centers that are in their prime? And also Valanciunas was a role player so dont expect big numbers from that either.

EDUTEXANS
08-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Man no love for any of teh Rockets' rookies.

JLynn943
08-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Kim English getting some love from his peers

topdog
08-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Man no love for any of teh Rockets' rookies.

Royce White tied for 3rd in playmaking and Lamb was 3rd in shooting. That's not "love?"

topdog
08-23-2012, 07:13 PM

I think rookies have a tendency to underestimate "Size and Strength of Opponents." How many scorers have we seen come into the league and just get totally bullied out of position and used on offense? Seems like a lot.

BenFrank
08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
They sleeping on Jeremy Lamb

ACanadian
08-23-2012, 08:48 PM
They sleeping on Jeremy Lamb

How?

SugeKnight
08-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Barnes having the 2nd best career! :)

EDUTEXANS
08-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Royce White tied for 3rd in playmaking and Lamb was 3rd in shooting. That's not "love?"

No Rocket on "who will have the best carreer" with second rounders getting votes. Terrence Jones could easily be voted for best defender.

DreamShaker
08-24-2012, 01:26 AM
No Rocket on "who will have the best carreer" with second rounders getting votes. Terrence Jones could easily be voted for best defender.

I truly wonder if those guys voted for themselves.

DenButsu
08-24-2012, 01:41 AM
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/john_schuhmann/08/23/2012-nba-rookie-survey?cid=nba_12_facebook_L

I know some may not really care, so if you say "who cares", well, poopoo on you! JKing. But it was interesting to see what the players thought of each others skills. I also found it hilarious that someone picked J.R. Smith as their favorite player. Somebody plans on shooting their team out of games.

Hey, DS! I didn't know you were still lurking around. Long time no see.

And thanks for the link, it is interesting. The only Denver rookie to get mentioned was Quincy Miller w/ a "funniest" mention. Not sure that bodes well. :rolleyes:

j-bay
08-24-2012, 02:27 AM
I wonder who said JR Smith is their favorite player.

If i had to guess that would probally be his little brother Chris Smith
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-08-01/ny-new-york-knicks-chris-smith-jr-smith-brother-contract-pablo-prigioni

TheBatchelor213
08-24-2012, 02:30 AM
No Steve Nash as anybodies favs? These guys are idiots

Hawkeye15
08-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I think rookies have a tendency to underestimate "Size and Strength of Opponents." How many scorers have we seen come into the league and just get totally bullied out of position and used on offense? Seems like a lot.

I agree that is easily the biggest difference. Pros are simply bigger, stronger, smarter, and better than the players they face in college. Basically, rookies should be told, "remember the really good teams you played, and how they all had 1-2 guys that were awesome? Well those dudes are benchwarmers in this league most the time".

Heediot
08-24-2012, 11:10 AM
J.R. Smith actually had someone vote for him as a favorite player.

Heediot
08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
but in reality he is the most over rated.

over-hyped is a better word.

Tmath
08-24-2012, 11:25 AM

This survey was done by the players who are for the majority american, how are they going to vote for him when they don't really know anything about him? Just like Valanciunas wouldn't really know anything about the american players.

DenButsu
08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
This survey was done by the players who are for the majority american, how are they going to vote for him when they don't really know anything about him? Just like Valanciunas wouldn't really know anything about the american players.

Yeah Evan Fournier (20th oveerall) didn't get any votes, which didn't surprise me. He's only 19 but has been a pro in Europe since 2009, and probably closer to being NBA ready than most people realize. It's just that none of the other rooks have seen him play except for the Summer League, so they just have no idea who he is. Even sites like draft express have fairly incomplete info on a lot of these guys. I don't see the rookies not voting for the international guys as a snub at all. It's just outside their experience.

And if they were worth voting for, then they'll get their chance to prove it soon enough.