PDA

View Full Version : The Center position is DEEP in the 2013 Draft

HouRealCoach
08-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Cody Zeller (7'0, 240), Nerlens Noel (6'11, 216), Rudy Gobert (7'1, 228), Steven Adams (7'0, 240), Alec Brown (7'1, 222), & Alex Len (7'1, 225) are all projected lottery picks (as of now)

Isiah Austin (7'0, 215), Jeff Withey (7'0, 230), & Gorqui Dieng (6'11, 235) are also projected first rounders

DeWayne Dedmon, Kenny Kadji, Aziz NDiaye, Zeke Marshall, & Mindaugas Kupsas are some 7 footers in the second round

This could be like the 2009 NBA Draft was with PG's.. Not a great one but alot of good ones

The NBA already has Dwight, Bynum, Marc Gasol, Chandler, etc.
The recent growth of Cousins, Gortat, & McGee
Prospects like Anthony Davis, Drummond, Jonas V
Then there are the solid centers who took steps back like Nene, Deandre Jordan, Noah, Kaman, Bogut, & Lopez
Alot of other centers who are capable of starting

Alot of people say that the Center position is becoming an after thought in the NBA but it is actually starting to look pretty deep.. What you think?

*Just a topic as we wait on the season to arrive*

SportsFanatic10
08-22-2012, 07:12 PM
i just hope the heat can find a decent one somewhere lol

Ebbs
08-22-2012, 07:12 PM
It's definitely expaneded over the last 3ish years. It's not just Dwight feasting on scrubs all day everyday anymore.

HouRealCoach
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
I forgot to mention Hibbert lol

Also Meyers Leonard & Kanter are prospects

Need I mention Greg Oden?

Monta is beast
08-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah the Center position is starting to make a comeback. Good to see.

MintBerryCrunch
08-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Nerlens Noel is gonna be a beast

Phxtoday
08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah the Center position is starting to make a comeback. Good to see.

Sig Bet With UJ47

Quote:
The Golden State Warriors Will Have A Better Record Than The Utah Jazz In The 2012-2013 NBA Season, Loser Leaves PSD For Good... or Changes Their Username.

Fixed. **** hahahaha.

asandhu23
08-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Well... Warriors did draft that one Euro 7 footer this year's draft. no idea if he is going to be good.

Losoway
08-22-2012, 07:49 PM
in this day and age centers arent the recipe to winning a championship anymore

Heediot
08-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Some of the guys mentioned are going to be PF's. A. Davis, Nerlens Noel, and arguably Cody Zeller.

Losoway
08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
and alot of those guys u mention are PFs

Chavacano
08-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Will they actually play as a traditional center or will they be hoisting three pointers? :shrug:

HouRealCoach
08-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Pekovic is another...

Perkins, Dalembert, Robin Lopez, Ezeli, Camby.. There are still alot

It's funny you mention that some of those guys are PF's because Dwight was a PF when he came into the league also

passittome
08-22-2012, 10:35 PM
I understand that these are 18-20 year olds but under 230lb and being traditional centers? That seems a little frail to me. I like their height but do they have the physicality to be a center or is this the new athletic minded center/pf? but I'm sure scouts are definitely intrigued with the '13 classes overall size and can hope develop diamonds in the rough.

Gram
08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Cody Zeller (7'0, 240), Nerlens Noel (6'11, 216), Rudy Gobert (7'1, 228), Steven Adams (7'0, 240), Alec Brown (7'1, 222), & Alex Len (7'1, 225) are all projected lottery picks (as of now)

Isiah Austin (7'0, 215), Jeff Withey (7'0, 230), & Gorqui Dieng (6'11, 235) are also projected first rounders

DeWayne Dedmon, Kenny Kadji, Aziz NDiaye, Zeke Marshall, & Mindaugas Kupsas are some 7 footers in the second round

This could be like the 2009 NBA Draft was with PG's.. Not a great one but alot of good ones

The NBA already has Dwight, Bynum, Marc Gasol, Chandler, etc.
The recent growth of Cousins, Gortat, & McGee
Prospects like Anthony Davis, Drummond, Jonas V
Then there are the solid centers who took steps back like Nene, Deandre Jordan, Noah, Kaman, Bogut, & Lopez
Alot of other centers who are capable of starting

Alot of people say that the Center position is becoming an after thought in the NBA but it is actually starting to look pretty deep.. What you think?

*Just a topic as we wait on the season to arrive*

*Greg Monroe.*

HouRealCoach
08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
*Greg Monroe.*

I read somewhere in the Pistons forum that he's preparing to play PF this year... I think that's why they signed that foreign center and drafted Drummond

I understand that these are 18-20 year olds but under 230lb and being traditional centers? That seems a little frail to me. I like their height but do they have the physicality to be a center or is this the new athletic minded center/pf? but I'm sure scouts are definitely intrigued with the '13 classes overall size and can hope develop diamonds in the rough.

I understand but unless they have a Kevin Durant frame then that can be fixed

Gram
08-22-2012, 11:21 PM
I read somewhere in the Pistons forum that he's preparing to play PF this year... I think that's why they signed that foreign center and drafted Drummond

I understand but unless they have a Kevin Durant frame then that can be fixed

Fair enough. He just played C this past year that's why I wanted to correct you. ;)

VeejNasty
08-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Pekovic is another...

Perkins, Dalembert, Robin Lopez, Ezeli, Camby.. There are still alot

It's funny you mention that some of those guys are PF's because Dwight was a PF when he came into the league also

Uhhh Dalembert? That's a bit of stretch.

AirJordanXVIII
08-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Really looking forward to seeing Noel in NBA.

TheNumber37
08-22-2012, 11:53 PM
nice. hope the Knicks find a backup or the spurs get the best one and begin their cycle again. OR, the blazers find a guy for LA to play with.

JasonJohnHorn
08-23-2012, 12:56 AM
It has improved over the last couple of seasons, but come on. It's not like the late 80's and early 90's where the NBA saw guys like; Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Kareem, Shaq, and Mourning, not to mention guys like McHale/Parish, Daughtery, Laimbeer. I mean, THAT was a deep league at the center position. Most of the guys in the league today would be lucky if they were as good as Robert Parish, and Parish, HOFer though he is, is NOT Shaq, or Hakeem, or Robinson, or Ewing, or Mourning, of Kareem.

And you forgot the Moose.

RipCity32
08-23-2012, 02:34 AM
those kids are pretty light for being 7 footers

GREATNESS ONE
08-23-2012, 02:53 AM
:clap: Thank Goodness !!!! I really hope a lot of these kids have solid careers. That's just what the NBA needed a new heard of big men.

Raph12
08-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Bynum, Hibbert, Big Al, Cousins, MGasol, Bogut, McGee, Monroe, etc... There isn't a lack of talent (and yes I get this isn't like the 90s, but no era is), the game is just played differently.

shep33
08-23-2012, 04:07 AM
Orlando will draft Noel... and if history holds true, he'll be a Laker within 4-8 years, lol jk jk.

I really believe that Hennigan is going to build a winner in Orlando. Start from scratch, get Noel and have cap flexibility. Youngsters around the league will look at Orlando as a place to play with a great big, while also not paying state tax. Great arena (nicest in the NBA), great fan base. Future is bright in Orlando as long as they tank.

Just my opinion, but I'm all for tanking. If your going to be bad, be really bad in order to become good more quickly

GREATNESS ONE
08-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Bynum, Hibbert, Big Al, Cousins, MGasol, Bogut, McGee, Monroe, etc... There isn't a lack of talent (and yes I get this isn't like the 90s, but no era is), the game is just played differently.

Lack of stable talent? A lot of those guys you mentioned and more had up/down years in the last 3years or so. Definitely nothing like the 90's and the game may be played different but I still believe Bigs dominate. Other then this year (no disrespect to Bosh) championship teams have a prime big sorta speak.

Anyways I don't know if you were talking to me but just responded anyways :)

Hope you have a great day bud!

GREATNESS ONE
08-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Orlando will draft Noel... and if history holds true, he'll be a Laker within 4-8 years, lol jk jk.

I really believe that Hennigan is going to build a winner in Orlando. Start from scratch, get Noel and have cap flexibility. Youngsters around the league will look at Orlando as a place to play with a great big, while also not paying state tax. Great arena (nicest in the NBA), great fan base. Future is bright in Orlando as long as they tank.

Just my opinion, but I'm all for tanking. If your going to be bad, be really bad in order to become good more quickly

Lol

But I do hope Orlando gets the #1 pick plus all those other picks, hopefully they can turn it around quick.

Aust
08-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Good, now let's just add them in with an increase in SG and we're good to go

Raph12
08-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Lack of stable talent? A lot of those guys you mentioned and more had up/down years in the last 3years or so. Definitely nothing like the 90's and the game may be played different but I still believe Bigs dominate. Other then this year (no disrespect to Bosh) championship teams have a prime big sorta speak.

Anyways I don't know if you were talking to me but just responded anyways :)

Hope you have a great day bud!

Only guys with up/down years were Bynum and Bogut and that is due to injury problems... The talent is there, evident by the high PER rating players from the center position achieved this season; with everyone healthy and playing at a high level, this era isn't too far off of any other era (outside of the 90s).

To be honest, I don't know why everyone compares the center position to the 90s, that was the peak for centers. There were about 5-7 good-to-great centers in the league, no other era had that type of dominance from that position. In the late40s-50s, you had Mikan and Petit (although he played PF also); in the 60s, you had Wilt and Russell (Wilt the only dominant two-way center though, Russell was a facilitator at best on offense); in the 70s, you had KAJ, McAdoo and Lanier (was decent enough); in the 80s, you had KAJ, Moses and eventually Olajuwon; and in the 00s, you had Shaq and Dwight... Outside of the 90s, there were always only a couple of dominant centers and everyone else was just decent; give today's centers a 30% usage rate and a fast-paced offense and you change everything.

Bynum, Bogut, Big Al, MGasol, Hibbert, Cousins, Monroe, etc all fall into that category; the game has changed and it is very wing dominated. The numbers will never live up to the 90s (no era does), but the position has a solid future in terms of talent/skill.

GREATNESS ONE
08-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Good post but I didn't bring up the 90's in comparison you did :p lol

Also regarding the other players, Cousins, Hibbert, And Monroe have barely started coming into their own. The only real stable bigs are probably the Gasol Brothers, Dwight, and a very short list after that at the C position. But I do agree on the talent being there, just hope these guys keep bringing it and some of these kids to find their own paths as great players.

Heediot
08-23-2012, 06:46 AM
It has improved over the last couple of seasons, but come on. It's not like the late 80's and early 90's where the NBA saw guys like; Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Kareem, Shaq, and Mourning, not to mention guys like McHale/Parish, Daughtery, Laimbeer. I mean, THAT was a deep league at the center position. Most of the guys in the league today would be lucky if they were as good as Robert Parish, and Parish, HOFer though he is, is NOT Shaq, or Hakeem, or Robinson, or Ewing, or Mourning, of Kareem.

And you forgot the Moose.

Yeah Mutombo, Vlade Divac, Rik Smits.

All these guys were Natural Centers, maybe not McHale. This was the golden era of the big man. We've been spoiled, so today's situation pales in comparison.

GoPacers33
08-23-2012, 09:08 AM
nerlens noel is gonna be a beast

x2

LongIslandIcedZ
08-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Hopefully they can learn the art of playing back to the basket, such a nice thing to watch when its good.

HowBoutDemBulls
08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
If by deep you mean full of a bunch white stiffs that will be busts.

gwrighter
08-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Regardless the 2013 draft looks to be a thin one.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Jonas Valanciunas.

ackar
08-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Are any of those guys going to be a true dominate Center? Besides Dwight there are no dominate physically on both ends on the floor.