PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown and Rookies

BobbyHillSwag
08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
So, I was wondering...... Did larry brown just not have a thing for playing rookies(sorry I have no Idea how to word it)? Lets say, pistons would of drafted Melo or Bosh, would they have gotten an adequate amount of playing time? Or did larry Brown just prefer veterans? I was wondering this based on people saying if pistons would of picked melo they would have another title. Assuming they are talking about in 2005.

xxplayerxx23
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Melo would of gotten 6th man type Minutes IMO, Same with Bosh at least I think so.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 01:34 PM
He did work with David Lee and Channing Frye. He had people thinking Frye was the next Tim Duncan. He had a thing for not playing scrub rookies.

Hawkeye15
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Depends on the makeup of his team. With a championship caliber team, your patience for developing youth can get in the way of playing the better players, so it may seem as if a rookie gets lost in the shuffle, when in fact the coach just can't sacrifice minutes to a lesser player. Hence why contenders rarely get a top 5 pick, unless its via a past trade. Bad teams can play them and let them make mistakes and learn, while piling up losses, because it's all about the future. This is the case with 90% of the teams that get a top 5 pick.

BobbyHillSwag
08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Wavycrocket's and Hawkeye's post go hand in hand imo. When Brown was coaching the knicks he didn't have much better players than frye and lee so he let them develop by giving them playing time. Like Hawkeye said on a Championship caliber team you cant just play a rookie to try and let him develop because you probably have better players for the job that knows what mistakes not to make and such.

xxplayerxx23
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
My problem with that is Melo was very good his rookie year so he would of played at least IMO.

BobbyHillSwag
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Also, I do remember larry hughes getting an ok amount of playing time when he was on the 6ers. They were considered a championship caliber team, in 2001. Whether they had a chance to win it or not.

Hawkeye15
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
My problem with that is Melo was very good his rookie year so he would of played at least IMO.

He would have gotten some minutes on the Pistons, and honestly, may be a better player today because he would have been FORCED to learn how to play defense. Otherwise, Brown would tuck his high scoring *** on the end of the bench.

xxplayerxx23
08-22-2012, 01:53 PM
He would have gotten some minutes on the Pistons, and honestly, may be a better player today because he would have been FORCED to learn how to play defense. Otherwise, Brown would tuck his high scoring *** on the end of the bench.

I can agree with that.

Hellcrooner
08-22-2012, 01:57 PM
So, I was wondering...... Did larry brown just not have a thing for playing rookies(sorry I have no Idea how to word it)? Lets say, pistons would of drafted Melo or Bosh, would they have gotten an adequate amount of playing time? Or did larry Brown just prefer veterans? I was wondering this based on people saying if pistons would of picked melo they would have another title. Assuming they are talking about in 2005.

Wade was 22 and more prepared, so he would have gotten some nice minutes, but maybe his development woudl have been hindered a bit.

melo/bosh, at 19 woudl ahve suffered the ill fate of Darko with him.

Phenomenonsense
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Brown ruined Darko.

Hawkeye15
08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Brown ruined Darko.

no, pastrami sandwiches and turning dunks into 8 foot fadeaways ruined Darko.

Gram
08-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Brown ruined Darko.

Gram ruined PSD.