PDA

View Full Version : Bulls Efforts to acquire Howard were futile

bric
08-21-2012, 10:23 PM
http://basketball.******.com/blog/222984/Bulls%E2%80%99_Efforts_For_Dwight_Howard_Were_Alwa ys_Futile

As Dwight Howard forged a path to Los Angeles, front offices across the NBA wanted so badly to edge the Lakers and get involved as a potential landing spot. Understandably so, with the league’s best center – a top MVP candidate on a yearly basis and a future Hall of Famer – on the open trade market. But throughout this nine-month saga, one aspect became clear to many teams in the hunt: The chase for Howard will be a futile endeavor, because he has no interest in coming aboard.

For almost a year now, the Chicago Bulls made it evident that they would remain in dialogue with the Orlando Magic until the end. Yet they, and most recently the Houston Rockets, found out sure enough that Howard was angling himself elsewhere – while Atlanta Hawks general manager Danny Ferry told the Atlanta Journal Constitution last week that the Magic “were apprehensive to trade [Howard] within the division.”

These days in the NBA, a star’s ability to forge his way from one team to another has vastly elevated, bourn out of LeBron James’ decision to join the Miami Heat two years ago. And, ultimately, Howard was the latest to make good on his wish list of three, the Brooklyn Nets, Lakers or Dallas Mavericks.

Despite the allure of the Bulls’ franchise, the third-largest market in the country and the possibility of playing with Derrick Rose, Howard never wanted to come to Chicago. For all he talked about his first priority being winning, Howard never wanted to be sidekick to Rose, who fully surpassed him as adidas’ most popular and productive pitchman.

Growing his brand has seemingly been at the top of Howard’s agenda, a goal for many professional athletes but one the greats have always managed to balance with winning. James took a public beating in the eyes of many observers after his choice to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers, but winning was his first desire throughout the process as he all but ignored the lure of New York.

Howard, on the other hand, cited non-basketball reasons not to join the Bulls, claiming he didn’t want to head to Chicago’s cold-weather climate, and yet he still had Brooklyn atop his wish list. Instead, from day one he hoped to go somewhere he’d be the man – win or lose, as his top choice of the Nets would suggest. adidas also reportedly had a role in steering Howard away from the Bulls, with its face of the company already saturating Chicago’s market.

Still, in some circles the Bulls’ talks with the Magic have largely been overplayed recently. Both parties haven’t been linked to each other throughout the summer. Truth be told, Chicago’s presence had been nonexistent in trade discussions surrounding Howard up to his final moments as a Magic, people with knowledge of the Bulls’ thinking say.

While the Bulls would have held Howard’s Bird rights had they acquired him, there was no inclination that he had any plans to sign a long-term contract with them next summer. Yes, the Bulls had established players such as Luol Deng, Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer to offer, but clearly that type of package was the furthest one from Magic general manager Rob Hennigan’s mind.

In hopes of rebuilding through the draft to go along with financial flexibility, the Magic eventually received picks, cap relief and filler in the blockbuster four-team trade. Even so, the 24-year-old Andrew Bynum would have given them the piece to build around while still trying to strike in the draft. As fond of Arron Afflalo as those within the league are, he isn’t a star the Magic will center their team around.

The Bulls still could have easily stuck a strong hand forward in the race for Howard that demanded patience. Would their best package of young assets – promising forward Taj Gibson, heralded commodity Nikola Mirotic and future draft selections highlighted by the Charlotte Bobcats’ valuable protected future first-round pick, as well as potentially another team jumping in to supply further picks – have trumped the one Orlando ultimately received?

Nevertheless, Howard and his camp long made known that he had no desire to play second-fiddle to Rose, no pull toward a city where he believed his brand would not prosper, but stagnate. His agent, Dan Fegan, had asked for and was granted permission last December to consult with the Nets, Lakers and Mavs about Howard – never requesting it for the Bulls.

“Sometimes, at least what you hear from agents, it doesn’t have anything to do with basketball,” Bulls vice president of basketball operations John Paxson admitted to a local radio station last December. “It has more to do with marketing and whatnot. Those are the things you don’t have under control, when an agent gets involved and doesn’t even want to talk to you. All you do is keep trying, and we certainly will.”

Indeed, the Bulls tried repeatedly over the past nine months, but nothing changed. Clearly, their fortitude dwindled as Howard neared his final months with the Magic. Yet in these recent episodes of stars paving the way to their desired team, organizations like Chicago and Houston found the chase for Howard a lost cause, an inevitable outcome within sight.

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/blog/222984/Bulls%E2%80%99_Efforts_For_Dwight_Howard_Were_Alwa ys_Futile#ixzz24Eo0iY6n

interesting that he wouldnt be willing to play 2nd fiddle to rose but will to kobe and gasol and company in LA as well having to lvie up to the hype of shaq, and kareem

also even if they could have gotten him, i doubt the front office would have traded for him without the extension

there is simply no risk with the bulls, they would rather stay frugle and hope that things fall in their lap, the damn team wont even give the best coach in the nba 2 years running an extension, smh

JasonJohnHorn
08-21-2012, 10:46 PM
This reminds me of McGrady leaving Toronto. He didn't want to play second fiddle to VC. It's a poor mentality to have. People want to be "the man", but at the end of the day it's a team sport. It sucks that who you have a shoe deal with impacts where you sign, like Adidas alreay have a all-star in Chi-town so they don't want Dwight going there, they'd rather have him in NY or LA to market the brand there. It sounds like Dwight was jealous of Rose. Immature if you ask me. C'est la vie. Rose and Dwight could have won a lot of titles together and while Dwight's chances in LA are great this season, Nash is 40 and Kobe is going to be on the wrong side of 35 next year.

Dwight's 'me first' mentality is going to cause chemistry problems in LA. I can see it already.

Why can't these young kids be more like Duncan? Make a fortune and win lots of titles. What's wrong with that model?

Aust
08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Not good for business with two of your largest Adidas contracts stuffing up one large market in Chicago. LA or NY made sense.

I hope Howard gains more of a hunger for chips.

Losoway
08-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Not good for business with two of your largest Adidas contracts stuffing up one large market in Chicago. LA or NY made sense.

I hope Howard gains more of a hunger for chips.

i said this before. adidas would not have allowed howard to go to chicago

Shkelqim
08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
This reminds me of McGrady leaving Toronto. He didn't want to play second fiddle to VC. It's a poor mentality to have. People want to be "the man", but at the end of the day it's a team sport. It sucks that who you have a shoe deal with impacts where you sign, like Adidas alreay have a all-star in Chi-town so they don't want Dwight going there, they'd rather have him in NY or LA to market the brand there. It sounds like Dwight was jealous of Rose. Immature if you ask me. C'est la vie. Rose and Dwight could have won a lot of titles together and while Dwight's chances in LA are great this season, Nash is 40 and Kobe is going to be on the wrong side of 35 next year.

Dwight's 'me first' mentality is going to cause chemistry problems in LA. I can see it already.

Why can't these young kids be more like Duncan? Make a fortune and win lots of titles. What's wrong with that model?

Tim Duncan thinks of being paid to play basketball is a privilege unlike Howard, imagine if he was mature.... So many what if's in today's players. They have to many clauses to many options, kinda takes the fun out of the game a lot.

stlbest5in2013
08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Truth be told he is a giant over sized douche bag baby. This is all on Howard and none of it is on his agent or Adidas.

stlbest5in2013
08-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Tim Duncan thinks of being paid to play basketball is a privilege unlike Howard, imagine if he was mature.... So many what if's in today's players. They have to many clauses to many options, kinda takes the fun out of the game a lot.

This is why the NBA needs to make a 3 years removed from high school rule like the nfl. Sorry the NBA is not a birthright. Go play in college for 3 years and stop stinking up the league or go freeze your *** off in Russia.

SouthSideRookie
08-21-2012, 11:15 PM
The Magic were never going to trade Howard to an eastern conference team. IMO teams should take the approach the Jazz took with Deron, trading him well before the player takes an upper hand on the situation.

STL Don
08-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Who cares. He's landed himself in the perfect place. Now he has a chance to win at least 1 or 2 titles with Kobe and company and than once he retires, he'll become the face and the Lakers will than build around himself.. he could not of hoped for a better scenario than this.

1-800-STFU
08-22-2012, 12:13 AM

It's a sad state of affairs when corporate sponsors dictate NBA trades and free agency...

kblo247
08-22-2012, 12:36 AM
This is why the NBA needs to make a 3 years removed from high school rule like the nfl. Sorry the NBA is not a birthright. Go play in college for 3 years and stop stinking up the league or go freeze your *** off in Russia.

Yeah because Dwight stunk up the league as a rook.

The whole thing is the best nba players since. mike are high schoolers who jumped

TheLegend
08-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Dwight Howard is a L.A. can of guy. He's Hollywood. He wants to put on a show and come out dancing; I can see him now, smiling and shaking hands of all the L.A. celebs in the arena and dancing and what not. Howard is about the "show". IMO he's not about the rings. L.A. fits him well.

Dade County
08-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Howard to the bulls would have been awesome for Bulls fans, they would have went to the ECF like every year; and they would have pushed the HEAT to game 7's all the time.

Howard didn't want to play with rose, you can just tell... He's heart was with the Nets but he opted in ...smh

Now he's a Laker, and you can bet that L.A is going to try to get another young star to team up with Howard within the next two years.

Bulls need to step up, whatever it takes; get someone to play alongside rose.

Gritz
08-22-2012, 02:19 AM

You also said Howard was going to the Nets in January

asandhu23
08-22-2012, 04:08 AM
We Are The Borg. Resistance is Futile!

metsbulls1025
08-22-2012, 04:20 AM

Yeah I know because people wouldn't buy his shoes with Derrick Rose on his team. :rolleyes:

This thing about Adidas is stupid. It doesn't matter where he played. If you are a big enough star you and your sponsors will make a boat load of cash. Lebron in Cleveland is a perfect example.

smiddy012
08-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Yeah I know because people wouldn't buy his shoes with Derrick Rose on his team. :rolleyes:

This thing about Adidas is stupid. It doesn't matter where he played. If you are a big enough star you and your sponsors will make a boat load of cash. Lebron in Cleveland is a perfect example.

This is so true. Adidas went as far as making a public announcement of sorts saying that they don't care if DH went to join Rose in Chicago and that they aren't involved in the process.

Even from a business perspective it makes ZERO sense. You really think Adidas having their 2 biggest stars forming a dynasty would've hurt their bottom line? Quite the contrary, their profits would have gone through the roof with all the attention a DH/Rose dynasty would have gotten. Winning sells shoes, just look at Jordans.

There was absolutely zero motive for Adidas to not let DH join Rose.

MOST
08-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Who's willing to try to win a ship with rose would be a good question

MOST
08-22-2012, 05:33 AM
I wonder which star? Lol If we can get one

BobbyHillSwag
08-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Ok he didnt want to play for the bulls, big deal.

Bulls_fan90
08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Who's willing to try to win a ship with rose would be a good question

Kevin love ;)

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
The Bulls should try to get Harden away from the Thunder.

AnthonyTyrael
08-22-2012, 09:00 AM

One of the best posts lately. Thanks.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
The Bulls slacked. Thats why they didn't get Howard. They had the ball in their court and were too lazy or unwilling to pull the trigger likely b/c cheap owners didn't want to pay the luxury tax.

SteBO
08-22-2012, 09:02 AM
The Bulls slacked. Thats why they didn't get Howard. They had the ball in their court and were too lazy or unwilling to pull the trigger likely b/c cheap owners didn't want to pay the luxury tax.
They had nothing the Magic wanted, period.

koreancabbage
08-22-2012, 09:04 AM
This is so true. Adidas went as far as making a public announcement of sorts saying that they don't care if DH went to join Rose in Chicago and that they aren't involved in the process.

Even from a business perspective it makes ZERO sense. You really think Adidas having their 2 biggest stars forming a dynasty would've hurt their bottom line? Quite the contrary, their profits would have gone through the roof with all the attention a DH/Rose dynasty would have gotten. Winning sells shoes, just look at Jordans.

There was absolutely zero motive for Adidas to not let DH join Rose.

yes and no. people in Chicago aren't made of money.

they have a bigger market if Howard played in LA. People in Chicago will buy Rose-branded stuff but won't necessarily buy Howard stuff as well. Its a lot of money. diversify your assets.

they might not have a public opinion on the matter but from a business perspective, its better if two assets are raking in two markets rather than one market. Two major Adidas players in one market won't reach its full potential for Adidas.

TheLegend
08-22-2012, 09:06 AM
I think the BULLS definitely had the assets to get a deal done when you consider what the Magic settled for. I think the Bulls front office wasn't about to give up those assets for a player that wouldn't sign an extension.

SteBO
08-22-2012, 09:08 AM
I think the BULLS definitely had the assets to get a deal done when you consider what the Magic settled for. I think the Bulls front office wasn't about to give up those assets for a player that wouldn't sign an extension.
That's only in hindsight though. For the longest time, nobody expected Orlando to take the **** deal they settled for.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 09:09 AM

Oh so your telling me the Bulls didn't have anything better to offer than Aaron Afflalo and some lottery protected late 1st round picks? LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

koreancabbage
08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Oh so your telling me the Bulls didn't have anything better to offer than Aaron Afflalo and some lottery protected late 1st round picks? LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

they didn't want the contracts. I don't think Chicago wanted to deal their first rounders either probably.

SteBO
08-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Again, you're speaking in hindsight. The BKN deal was light years better than what they got, but they didn't take it for whatever reason(you would know, so if you want to you enlighten me on that subject). Nobody, including yourself I'm sure, thought ORL would take what they settled for.

So yes, after the fact, Chicago had a chance to get him. But at the time, hell no.

JordansBulls
08-22-2012, 09:15 AM

But that is what the Magic got.

SteBO
And I'm on record here saying that Chicago, if he really wanted to win, should've pushed to go to Chicago. But Rose being hurt probably had something to do with it too. We'll never know, but whatever. He's a Laker. It is what it is.

waveycrockett
they didn't want the contracts. I don't think Chicago wanted to deal their first rounders either probably.

So this where we agree. The BULLS FO and Ownership have their heads up their ***** to not want to deal their late 1st rounders. Further more Taj Gibson is still on a rookie deal and will probably be paid on a similar scale as Afflalo with significantly more upside. They could have swung Noah to a 3rd team like Philly or whoever for some cheap young talent same way Bynum was swung.

SteBO
08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Please refer to what to I told waveycrokett. Speaking in hindsight is fun!!

Raidaz4Life
Again, you're speaking in hindsight. The BKN deal was light years better than what they got, but they didn't take it for whatever reason(you would know, so if you want to you enlighten me on that subject). Nobody, including yourself I'm sure, thought ORL would take what they settled for.

So yes, after the fact, Chicago had a chance to get him. But at the time, hell no.

I'm not sure why you're harping on how bad the deal was still. Most magic fans know that what they got was a superior rebuilding package to Brooklyn's most recent offer.

Silent

:laugh:

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 09:19 AM

The rumor or word among Execs is that ORL OWnership shot down any deals with the Nets because they held a grudge for the ILLEGAL meeting they BELIEVED took place, although they never filed formal tampering charges. Otis Smith had a deal with the BKN signed and delivered to ownership on several occasions which were shot down for this reason

HOU didn't get him because apparently they were offering ORL only 3 of their young guys and no Lamb, no picks and would not take on salary which was deal breaker.

Had the BULLS forced themselves into the picture the way BKN and LAL did they would probably have gotten him.

SteBO
08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure why you're harping on how bad the deal was still. Most magic fans know that what they got was a superior rebuilding package to Brooklyn's most recent offer.
I'm well aware. But I was responding to a poster who accused me of thinking that the Bulls didn't have anything better than what ORL got, which was false. That wasn't what I was saying. But then again, is "lottery protected" picks better than the picks BKN would've shipped? I'm not really that convinced.

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm well aware. But I was responding to a poster who accused me of thinking that the Bulls didn't have anything better than what ORL got, which was false. That wasn't what I was saying. But then again, is "lottery protected" picks better than the picks BKN would've shipped? I'm not really that convinced.

I agree though, the Bulls didn't have anything better than what Orlando got.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 09:45 AM
I agree though, the Bulls didn't have anything better than what Orlando got.

your nuts

effen5
08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
At the end of the day, Orlando wanted draft picks and expiring contracts which is pretty much what they have. They wanted to fully blow up their team and start from scratch.

I would easily have given up whatever Orlando wanted outside of Rose IF Dwight was willing to sign a contract with the Bulls. If D12 wanted to be a bull right now, this drama crap would have ended last trade deadline and he'd be a bull.. But the point is he wasnt willing to come to chicago, he wasnt willing to sign a long term extention, and giving up our young prospects for a half year rental is not worth it.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
At the end of the day, Orlando wanted draft picks and expiring contracts which is pretty much what they have. They wanted to fully blow up their team and start from scratch.

I would easily have given up whatever Orlando wanted outside of Rose IF Dwight was willing to sign a contract with the Bulls. If D12 wanted to be a bull right now, this drama crap would have ended last trade deadline and he'd be a bull.. But the point is he wasnt willing to come to chicago, he wasnt willing to sign a longer term extention, and giving up our young prospects for a half year rental is not worth it.

They also said he wasn't willing to go to LA either. Point is call his bluff not like he could of walked to LA or BK if got dealt. Just think Reinsdorf wanted nothing to do with paying 2 MAX players and then other big contracts so allowed that dissuade the fans.

effen5
08-22-2012, 10:03 AM
and real quick, if we did give up lets say

Noah, Taj, Mirotic, our first round, our future first round, bobcats first round for D12, and he decided to leave, we would still be money ****ed with Boozer Rose Deng still on the books and we would have no money/picks to replace our void.

effen5
08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
They also said he wasn't willing to go to LA either. Point is call his bluff not like he could of walked to LA or BK if got dealt. Just think Reinsdorf wanted nothing to do with paying 2 MAX players and then other big contracts so allowed that dissuade the fans.

Wrong, you don't think the Bulls would have paid both Rose and Dwight? They easily would have and amnesty Boozer and built around Rose and Dwight.

But look at my previous post.

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 10:11 AM
your nuts

Seriously? There was virtually nothing appealing to a rebuilding team like Orlando. The only chance they had was shipping Noah to a third team and no third team was going to want Noah when the Lakers were offering Bynum.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Seriously? There was virtually nothing appealing to a rebuilding team like Orlando. The only chance they had was shipping Noah to a third team and no third team was going to want Noah when the Lakers were offering Bynum.

It's called a multiple team trade. You have valuable assets like Noah, Gibson, Deng and if ORL dont want them you trade them for to another team for assets THEY DO want. They could have EASILY have trumped afflalo+trash picks but their ownership is too cheap for all that

effen5
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
It's called a multiple team trade. You have valuable assets like Noah, Gibson, Deng and if ORL dont want them you trade them for to another team for assets THEY DO want. They could have EASILY have trumped afflalo+trash picks but their ownership is too cheap for all that

Wow....you seriously have no idea what your talking about....your telling me that the Bulls should give up all their assets for a half year rental?

A HALF YEAR RENTAL?!

You know what thats called? Bad business.

mvb815
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
and real quick, if we did give up lets say

Noah, Taj, Mirotic, our first round, our future first round, bobcats first round for D12, and he decided to leave, we would still be money ****ed with Boozer Rose Deng still on the books and we would have no money/picks to replace our void.

the magic wouldn't do that anyway

they at least got better than 4th-6th option players and guaranteed low draft picks

effen5
08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I can't even think of a good analogy because thats how ******** it sounds.

effen5
08-22-2012, 10:22 AM
the magic wouldn't do that anyway

they at least got better than 4th-6th option players and guaranteed low draft picks

But its an example. Wavey thinks it would have been really easy for the Bulls to get D12 and keep him there.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Wow....you seriously have no idea what your talking about....your telling me that the Bulls should give up all their assets for a half year rental?

A HALF YEAR RENTAL?!

You know what thats called? Bad business.

:facepalm::facepalm:

ugh I'm making an example. I'm not saying they should have given up ALL those guys I'm saying those guys are all more valuable than Afflalo. And RENTAL? Really I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT he would have walked.

effen5
08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
:facepalm::facepalm:

ugh I'm making an example. I'm not saying they should have given up ALL those guys I'm saying those guys are all more valuable than Afflalo. And RENTAL? Really I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT he would have walked.

How do you know? If he signed an extension, he would have been a BULL right now.

The problem with Dwight is that HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE WANTS.

effen5
08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Like I was trying to say, if Howard did walk...this team would be in hell the next few years. Not only would we have no money until Deng's contract expired, and we would have no picks to replace the young assets we gave up on. It's a bad business move altogether if Howard walked.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
How do you know? If he signed an extension, he would have been a BULL right now.

The problem with Dwight is that HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE WANTS.

Where's he going to go? LA? NOPE they would be maxed out. BK? NOPE Maxed out. He's going to leave a big city like CHI to play in DALLAS? DOUBT IT. He's worth the risk point blank period.

Muttman73
08-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Just one more reason the NBA remains a distant #4 for me.

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Noah is virtually untradeable despite what the casual PSD poster thinks. Nobody wants to take on a role player with 4 years at over 12 per with the new luxury tax.... much less give up valuable assets for him. Deng could probably fall into the same category to a lesser degree. The Lakers were the only ones offering a player that could be built around going forward. Plus the Lakers and Mavs were the only ones that even had a shot at Dwight resigning with.

Hell even the Lakers took a risk. I am not even 80% sure that Dwight will resign with them.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Noah is virtually untradeable despite what the casual PSD poster thinks. Nobody wants to take on a role player with 4 years at over 12 per with the new luxury tax.... much less give up valuable assets for him. Deng could probably fall into the same category to a lesser degree. The Lakers were the only ones offering a player that could be built around going forward. Plus the Lakers and Mavs were the only ones that even had a shot at Dwight resigning with.

Hell even the Lakers took a risk. I am not even 80% sure that Dwight will resign with them.
:rolleyes:

And what are you? The non-casual PSD poster?

rapjuicer06
08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Lakers are in the perfect situation. Artest, Kobe, Gasol, Nash, Duhon, Blake will all become free agents with in the next two years. Basically Dwight will be by himself, and the Lakers will have a lot of money to spend. Dwight and the Lakers are in the perfect situation together

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 10:54 AM
:rolleyes:

And what are you? The non-casual PSD poster?

Someone who understands why the magic made the trade that they did.

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Lakers are in the perfect situation. Artest, Kobe, Gasol, Nash, Duhon, Blake will all become free agents with in the next two years. Basically Dwight will be by himself, and the Lakers will have a lot of money to spend. Dwight and the Lakers are in the perfect situation together

Assuming nothing disastrous happens amongst their stars in the next two years. The Lakers have a potentially volatile situation with nothing but Mike Brown holding it back.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Someone who understands why the magic made the trade that they did.

The Magic screwed themselves.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Out of curiosity who will FA's in 2 years?

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Which is exactly what they were trying to do... screw themselves for the next two years until free agency. The Lakers and Magic are both set to be big players in free agency 2014

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Out of curiosity who will FA's in 2 years?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents/

Point Guard
(name, team – 2013-14 salary – status)

Steve Blake, L.A. Lakers – $4.0 million – Unrestricted
Rodney Stuckey, Detroit Pistons – $8.5 million – Unrestricted
Luke Ridnour, Minnesota Timberwolves – $4.3 million – Unrestricted
Chris Duhon, Orlando Magic – $3.8 million – Unrestricted
Isaiah Thomas, Sacramento Kings – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*

Shooting Guard

Dwyane Wade, Miami HEAT – $18.5 million – Early Termination Option ($20.0 million)
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers – $30.5 million – Unrestricted
Jason Richardson, Orlando Magic – $6.2 million – Player Option ($6.6 million)
Vince Carter, Dallas Mavericks – $3.3 million – Unrestricted
Rip Hamilton, Chicago Bulls – $5.0 million – Unrestricted
Thabo Sefolosha, Oklahoma City Thunder – $3.9 million – Unrestricted
Josh Childress, Phoenix Suns – $7.2 million – Early Termination Option ($7.3 million)
Von Wafer, Orlando Magic – $1.2 million – Unrestricted
Lance Stephenson, Indiana Pacers – $1.0 million – Unrestricted
Malcolm Lee, Minnesota Timberwolves – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
Travis Leslie, L.A. Clippers – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*

Small Forward

LeBron James, Miami HEAT – $19.1 million – Early Termination Option ($20.6 million)
Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks – $21.3 million – Early Termination Option ($22.6 million)
Rudy Gay, Memphis Grizzlies – $17.9 million – Player Option ($19.3 million)
Danny Granger, Indiana Pacers – $14.0 million – Unrestricted
Luol Deng, Chicago Bulls – $14.3 million – Unrestricted
Caron Butler, L.A. Clippers – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics – $15.3 million – Unrestricted
Shane Battier, Miami HEAT – $3.3 million – Unrestricted
Mike Miller, Miami HEAT – $6.2 million – Player Option ($6.6 million)
Hedo Turkoglu, Orlando Magic – $12.0 million – Unrestricted
Tyler Honeycutt, Sacramento Kings – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
Trey Thompkins, L.A. Clippers – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*

Power Forward

Chris Bosh, Miami HEAT – $19.1 million – Early Termination Option ($20.6 million)
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks – $22.7 million – Unrestricted
Pau Gasol, L.A. Lakers – $19.3 million – Unrestricted
Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Knicks – $21.7 million – Early Termination Option ($23.4 million)
Zach Randolph, Memphis Grizzlies – $17.8 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
Andrea Bargnani, Toronto Raptors – $10.8 million – Early Termination Option ($11.5 million)
Udonis Haslem, Miami HEAT – $4.3 million – Player Option ($4.6 million)
Jonas Jerebko, Detroit Pistons – $4.5 million – Player Option ($4.5 million)
Channing Frye, Phoenix Suns – $6.4 million – Early Termination Option ($6.8 million)
Chris Andersen, Denver Nuggets – $4.8 million – Unrestricted
Matt Bonner, San Antonio Spurs – $4.0 million – Unrestricted
Jeremy Tyler, Golden State Warriors – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
Jordan Williams, Brooklyn Nets – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
Ryan Reid, Oklahoma City Thunder – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*

Center

Andrew Bogut, Golden State Warriors – $14.0 million – Unrestricted
Marcin Gortat, Phoenix Suns – $7.7 million – Unrestricted
Joel Anthony, Miami HEAT – $3.8 million – Player Option ($3.8 million)
Darko Milicic, Minnesota Timberwolves – $5.7 million – Unrestricted
Jason Smith, New Orleans Hornets – $2.5 million – Unrestricted
Hassan Whiteside, Sacramento Kings – $0.9 million – Unrestricted

futureman
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM

Duncan represents evrything that is good about the NBA. I think there needs to be a real distinction made from guys like him and guys like Howard. Real stars make everybody around them better. That quality is fading very fast in the NBA these days when you see guys like Howard, Bosh and Cp3 who don't want to make their teams better they just want to play around other good players. Here are the true superstars that helped their teams win and made everybody on their teams better.

Bill Russell
Hakeem Olajuwon
MJ
Magic
Derrick Rose
Kobe( Yes he had other good players around him but he can also make his teamates better)
Larry Bird
Isiah Thomas
Tim Duncan
Shaq to a certain degree
Kevin Durant
Dirk

Lebron would've also been in this category had he stayed in cleveland.

If one superstar can make his team into a champion, that championship alone is worth 5 championships these phony superteams win.

waveycrockett
08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents/

Summer of LeBron 2.0 lol

Raidaz4Life
08-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Summer of LeBron 2.0 lol

Maybe he and Wade will ditch Bosh the second time around.

koreancabbage
08-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Duncan represents evrything that is good about the NBA. I think there needs to be a real distinction made from guys like him and guys like Howard. Real stars make everybody around them better. That quality is fading very fast in the NBA these days when you see guys like Howard, Bosh and Cp3 who don't want to make their teams better they just want to play around other good players. Here are the true superstars that helped their teams win and made everybody on their teams better.

Bill Russell
Hakeem Olajuwon
MJ
Magic
Derrick Rose
Kobe( Yes he had other good players around him but he can also make his teamates better)
Larry Bird
Isiah Thomas
Tim Duncan
Shaq to a certain degree
Kevin Durant
Dirk

Lebron would've also been in this category had he stayed in cleveland.

If one superstar can make his team into a champion, that championship alone is worth 5 championships these phony superteams win.

doesn't even make sense by adding Rose and Durant. They are on their first big contract, like Lebron, Bosh, CP3 all re-upped with their then-current team

They all left b/c the upper management didn't do enough to add legit talent to the team. Pat Riley did what no other GM could have done for a while now, convince Lebron and Bosh to come to Miami, while clearing house for those two players to come into the fold.

Why would Duncan and Dirk leave? they've always had good teams and their upper management kept adding pieces and proactive in communicating their goal to the players. Sure they might be "loyal" players to the organization, but upper management and connection to them from the players play a huge role in that. Look at how the Cleveland GM reacted after Bron left... he was an *******, so to think they had a "connection"... just made it easy for Bron to leave.

Noone would leave if upper management was good and recognize they need legit talent to win. correct? The players don't deserve the amount of hate they are getting when upper management should be in the hot seat. Lebron won a championship while taking over the reigns from Wade in the process- no need to question who was really the top dog on last year's team.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-22-2012, 12:00 PM

They got exactly what they wanted. To hit rock bottom as a team, and acquire hopefully the #1, if not, top 3 pick in the next draft or 2 and free up some cap room while doing so.

They didn't want to take on Bynum, or the NJ package, because they did not want to pay one of those 2 guys near max dollars to lead them to a .500 record the next 5 years keeping them in mid-lottery hell.

Pretty easy to understand.

Raph12
08-22-2012, 12:45 PM
No way Dwight would get resigned by Adidas to a big contract if he went to Chitown, it would be stupid to have the two faces of your company in the same market. Plus Dwight knows that LA will be his in two years, he'd be Rose's (hometown kid/former MVP) ***** for the rest of their careers if he went there... The Lakers franchise has a way of putting together great teams, the Bulls franchise hasn't won anything pre/post the Jordan-era.

Easily the better decision to make.

JordansBulls
08-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Also the logic of both players being Adidas makes no sense. Are not Lebron and Wade both Nike as well? They play in the same market.

Sixerlover
08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Also the logic of both players being Adidas makes no sense. Are not Lebron and Wade both Nike as well? They play in the same market.

Nike also has Kobe, CP3, Blake in LA, Durant in the Southwest, and Melo (via Jordan Brand) in the northeast as superstars in other markets. Both of Adidas' faces would be in 1 metropolitan area.

effen5
08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Nike also has Kobe, CP3, Blake in LA, Durant in the Southwest, and Melo (via Jordan Brand) in the northeast as superstars in other markets. Both of Adidas' faces would be in 1 metropolitan area.

Why is that so bad? I don't get it. Jordan globalized Nike in Chicago, why can't two players try to do the same in the same city?

koreancabbage
08-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Why is that so bad? I don't get it. Jordan globalized Nike in Chicago, why can't two players try to do the same in the same city?

b/c you capitalize jersey/ player gear in two markets. if two star players in the same market, lets take jersey sales for example in that market- not everyone is going to buy two jerseys of two teammates. so sales would not reach its potential in the same market city.

two cities, two major markets, two big star players. people are gonna buy Howard Lakers jerseys like people will continue to buy Rose jersey's in Chicago. As a brand, it doesn't make sense. Even if international sales were to be the same in all circumstances, the players gear/jerseys/brand will not reach potential, even in a big market.

Sixerlover
08-23-2012, 11:58 AM

Merch sales.

Adidas would rather get one $50 sale in LA for a Dwight jersey, and one $50 sale in Chicago for a Rose jersey instead of someone walking into a Chicago store and being forced to make a choice of which guy he's going to spend his $50 on.

Same for shoes, t-shirts etc.

koreancabbage
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Merch sales.

Adidas would rather get one $50 sale in LA for a Dwight jersey, and one $50 sale in Chicago for a Rose jersey instead of someone walking into a Chicago store and being forced to make a choice of which guy he's going to spend his $50 on.

Same for shoes, t-shirts etc.

if anything, people buy home and away jerseys of the same player at times as well. shoes as well.

it makes sense brand wise to have your main assets in different large markets. maximize both revenue streams.

Stinkyoutsider
08-23-2012, 12:48 PM
I think Howard's mind set is a little soft with this whole process? Instead of looking at the situation in Chicago as a challenge, he kind of backed away and didn't take the opportunity to do great things?

I wonder if it was in Howard's shoe deal about going to play with Rose in Chicago? If I was Howard, I would have went to Chicago anyways. Let the shoe company drop me, I'm a star player and can sign with someone else.

If the cold bothers him, keep a house in Orlando to spend your offseasons and invest in some clothes lol.

The biggest thing for me is Howard thinking he would be 2nd fiddle to Rose. Rose is a point guard. It's Rose's job to get other players involved. Howard would have been the #1 option offensively and had Rose to support him with carrying the team. That's just the way Rose is. It's team first and Rose is also a shy person who tries to stay out of the spotlight.

I don't think Howard wanted to play for Bulls management...