PDA

View Full Version : Would the Twin Tower Spurs have beaten the broken down Bulls of 98?

Chronz
08-21-2012, 09:58 PM
After Duncan got his feet wet in year 1, he came back ready to lead. He had D-Rob close enough to his prime that they established the greatest interior combo of all time. The Bulls still had MJ but Pippen was hurting and Rodman was becoming more and more of a nuisance.

STL Don
08-21-2012, 10:03 PM
I believe so. Tim Duncan was unstoppable at this point, I don't see how they'd get past that front court.

Lloyd Christmas
08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Could Bowen have been enough of a pest to slow down MJ? I think so.

Edit: Bowen wasn't there yet. My bad.

Chronz
08-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Could Bowen have been enough of a pest to slow down MJ? I think so.

Edit: Bowen wasn't there yet. My bad.

That debate is just as important. Both count as Twin Tower spurs, Im not familiar with how Spurs fans have ranked those teams but they are all dominant.

How would MJ have played against an elite on-ball defender with 2 legit f7 footers backing him defensively?

Lloyd Christmas
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
That's tough. Rodman would most likely have still owned the glass even against the twin towers. He was a psycho.

Losoway
08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
tim duncan was unguardable .

they could have beat any team

Chronz
08-21-2012, 10:56 PM
That's tough. Rodman would most likely have still owned the glass even against the twin towers. He was a psycho.

Yea but what about the bigman Rodman aint guarding?

JasonJohnHorn
08-21-2012, 11:03 PM
For fun. Though the officials would have killed them. Those guys loved the Bulls.

JNA17
08-21-2012, 11:13 PM
For fun. Though the officials would have killed them. Those guys loved the Bulls.

Yeah the Bulls probably would have won anyway solely for this reason.

Lloyd Christmas
08-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Yea but what about the bigman Rodman aint guarding?

Well the other one would have gotten his that's for sure. Good question man. That series would be a good one. I think the Spurs would win though. They just didn't make mistakes.

AnthonyTyrael
08-22-2012, 01:37 AM
What happened with teams like Houston, with Olajuwon and Sampson and all those others? What did they win?

No offense here but it would have been close beetwen Spurs and Bulls, for sure. Difference was, Bulls had the heart of champions and the experience. The already knew how to win it all. If you think they're a better team than them..it's sad that you just can't challenge them.

Bruno
08-22-2012, 01:51 AM
no. Duncan was 21 and not near his peak yet. they got handled 4-1 by Utah in the second round. the supporting roster wasn't great yet either.

SAS would have taken Chicago in '99 if the bulls hadn't split up, imo.

'98 SAS: 3.30, 9th in SRS.
'99 SAS: 7.12, 1st in SRS.
'98 CHI: 7.24, 1st in SRS.

we got robbed of a great old generation/new generation clash for supremacy just at the right time when neither side had the clear cut advantage. MJ was smart enough to retire before he could be challenged, he knew how to build the perfect storyline.

Federal Reserve
08-22-2012, 02:10 AM
The Spurs were overrated. If the Knicks weren't injured, the Spurs would have been swept.

Bruno
08-22-2012, 03:09 AM
The Spurs were overrated. If the Knicks weren't injured, the Spurs would have been swept.

you mean if 36 year old Patrick Ewing didn't miss the second half of the post-season? The Spurs won the series 4-1, he wouldn't have been a big enough of a difference maker at his age.

naps
08-22-2012, 03:33 AM
no. Duncan was 21 and not near his peak yet. they got handled 4-1 by Utah in the second round. the supporting roster wasn't great yet either.

SAS would have taken Chicago in '99 if the bulls hadn't split up, imo.

'98 SAS: 3.30, 9th in SRS.
'99 SAS: 7.12, 1st in SRS.
'98 CHI: 7.24, 1st in SRS.

we got robbed of a great old generation/new generation clash for supremacy just at the right time when neither side had the clear cut advantage. MJ was smart enough to retire before he could be challenged, he knew how to build the perfect storyline.

Very interesting point. I would have believed it if it wasn't Jordan. He was way too competitive to feel scared. Jordan won 6 championships in 6 years so it's pretty hard to imagine he would feel threatened by a promising young player and a past prime D-Rob.

smiddy012
08-22-2012, 03:56 AM

This is the only reason they won 6 rings. Now I can rationalize my love for Lebron.

Federal Reserve
08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
you mean if 36 year old Patrick Ewing didn't miss the second half of the post-season? The Spurs won the series 4-1, he wouldn't have been a big enough of a difference maker at his age.

He averaged only 17 points per game, but, hey, let's not let statistics get in the way of your argument.

koreancabbage
08-22-2012, 12:16 PM
He averaged only 17 points per game, but, hey, let's not let statistics get in the way of your argument.

or come up with the conceptual thought that the Knicks WOULD have won if they had Ewing. if thats the case, Knicks would still have lost to the Spurs, even with Ewing in the series.

Chronz
08-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Had Ewing been healthy the Knicks never make it to the Finals, it was his injury that forced them to play small-fast and give the perimeter players the high % looks Ewing could no longer create.

All that said, he would have been a boon to their defense against the towers, and in the slow down pace would have provided the Knicks another guy who could operate in the half court.

Hawkeye15
08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't think Duncan was close enough to his prime/peak yet. The Spurs would have had a terrible time stopping Jordan, even at that point.

Joshtd1
08-22-2012, 03:12 PM
If it was the 99 team I think so. Our defense was one of the stingiest I have ever seen. Robinson and Duncan dominated the inside offensively and defensively. Though MJ probably would have gotten whatever he wanted from the perimeter. Getting shots in the paint would be a different story though.

valade16
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
The 99 squad? Tough to say. It would've been one of the best finals ever that's for sure.

My gut is to go Bulls because of MJ, but part of me wonders how the heck the Bulls would've stopped Robinson and Duncan.

Bruno
08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Very interesting point. I would have believed it if it wasn't Jordan. He was way too competitive to feel scared. Jordan won 6 championships in 6 years so it's pretty hard to imagine he would feel threatened by a promising young player and a past prime D-Rob.

I don't think MJ was afraid at all. he just had nothing left to prove. '99 would have been a hell of a series.

17 p.p.g. in the regular season (TS% of .491).

13 p.p.g. for Ewing in the '99 playoffs (.477).

Way to inefficient offensively, way too slow defensively to have changed that outcome from a 4-1 Spurs victory to a 4-3 Knicks victory.

Chronz point above on small ball is the most valid thing anyone could say in regards to the '99 Knicks. Did you watch that post-season run?

mrblisterdundee
08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
It's possible, but I would say the Bulls had as much of an advantage in the back court as the Spurs had in the front court. Sean Elliott and Avery Johnson weren't looking too swell, and Bruce Bowen was kind of raw, in terms of being able to effectively mitigate Michael Jordan's presence. And I think you meant the broken down Bulls of 1997-98, since at the start of 1998, Jordan was retired for the second time and the Bulls had one of the biggest NBA drop-offs in recorded history.

JordansBulls
08-22-2012, 05:38 PM
You mean if it was the 1999 Bulls vs 1999 Spurs?

I still say the Bulls would win, the 1999 Spurs didn't play any team with much experience that season, would have been interesting just seeing them against Indiana or Miami in the finals that year.
Also Pippen in 1998 came into the season injured and the Bulls still had the #1 seed with him out the first 35 games.

TheLegend
08-22-2012, 05:55 PM
NO!! Jordan is the greatest player to ever lace up. I think a lot of people take that fact for granted. When the competition rise, so does Jordan's game. Just like saying the '92 dream team would lose to the current dream team. Not a chance! Jordan is a complete game changer. Jordan always rose above the competition. Jordan thrives on challenges. The Spurs would've been another challenge but they would've came up short IMO. And Bruce Bowen was a great defender but he had zero chances on Jordan. Teams always put their best defender on Jordan, didn't matter, it was still 30PPG. It didn't matter if the guy was a elite defender, or whatever, Jordan simply had to many ways to score and he would've lit the Spurs up just like he did any other team or defender.