PDA

View Full Version : Will Andrew Bynum enter beast mode in Philadelphia?

mrblisterdundee
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
How close will Andrew Bynum, as a 76'er, get to Dwight Howard's level of performance in Orlando? Bynum's the only dominant offensive force the 76'ers have, if you can call him dominant in the post at this point. There's no other star on their entire roster with Andre Igoudala gone. Will Bynum average more touches, points, blocks and rebounds than Howard did?
Personally, I think Bynum will have a greater overall production than Howard, because Howard's playing with Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant. One of the big knocks in Los Angeles was how little Bynum got the ball in crunch time, even though he got to the point where he was sometimes the best option to score. I think part of Bynum's lack of drive in Los Angeles had to do with being the third wheel when he really wanted to be Kobe's new Shaq-zilla. Now, in Philadelphia, there's no excuse not to give him the rock on the inside.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
No.

No legitimate scorers around him, no great PF like Pau next to him, and he will face plenty of double teams.

I could see him putting up good numbers but not "great" numbers.

2-ONE-5
08-20-2012, 09:35 PM
yea great numbers, no doubt about it. contract year and he wants that max (will get it anyway). No one in the East will be able to stop him. 22pg 12rebs 2blks 58% from the field. He is gonna make things so much easier on Holiday and Turner

JLynn943
08-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I think he'll pretty much stay at the level he's been. I expect his effort to go up, but the defensive pressure is going to increase as well. If J-Rich, Turner, and Jrue can provide enough offense to keep teams from crowding Bynum much, he'll have a great year.

Andrew32
08-20-2012, 09:42 PM
25 / 12 / 2apg / 2bpg on 54-57%FG
:clap:

Raph12
08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
His efficiency will drop, I want to see how he handles the pressure of being a #1 guy...

lakers4sho
08-20-2012, 09:50 PM
uhh he can't even handle double teams yet, and that's with the defense focused on Kobe and Pau

SeoulBeatz
08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
No.

No legitimate scorers around him, no great PF like Pau next to him, and he will face plenty of double teams.

We may not have a got to scorer... but we have an overkill of 3-point threats who will easily spread the floor to allow Bynum to do work in the paint.

Nick Young, Jrue Holiday, Jason Richardson, Dorrell Wright, can all excel at hitting the 3.

This isn't last years team where we didnt have a dependable 3 point threat (jodie meeks was horribly inconsistent).

MintBerryCrunch
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
He's not gonna be close to Dwight

THE MTL
08-20-2012, 09:57 PM
He will try to go into beast mode but he must learn to handle double teams/triple teams every night now. I highly doubt he shoots above 50%. 21ppg-11rpg-2bpg 49% FG%

StarvingKnick22
08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
he's gonna bomb and than go somewhere for a max deal. bynum really doesnt give a ****.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-20-2012, 09:59 PM
We may not have a got to scorer... but we have an overkill of 3-point threats who will easily spread the floor to allow Bynum to do work in the paint.

Nick Young, Jrue Holiday, Jason Richardson, Dorrell Wright, can all excel at hitting the 3.

This isn't last years team where we didnt have a dependable 3 point threat (jodie meeks was horribly inconsistent).

Granted, but he's still the #1 option on that team, I just dont see how his numbers dont decrease a bit. Losing Pau next to him is one of the more underrated elements to the trade that people arent realizing.

Sadds The Gr8
08-20-2012, 10:13 PM
I think him and philly are getting overrated like hell. He'll be good but I doubt he'll be god like people think he'll be.

2-ONE-5
08-20-2012, 10:17 PM
he's gonna bomb and than go somewhere for a max deal. bynum really doesnt give a ****.

of course a knick fan would say that. cant wait for Byum to BEAST the Knicks for the next 8-10 years.

beasted86
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
I expect a rise in points, but a lower FG% and higher turnovers.

He will do whatever it takes to fool a team into offering him a 4-5yr max contract.

Jays Claw
08-20-2012, 10:50 PM
I think him and philly are getting overrated like hell. He'll be good but I doubt he'll be god like people think he'll be.

Agreed.

Most of you guys are setting yourselves up for a huge disappointment. Bynum won't be putting up those ridiculous monster numbers like many people seem to think.

Avenged
08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
His basic stats will go up. I think his efficiency will drop but not by much. Defense will continue to improve..

Double teams seem to be his biggest weakness so once he learns to handle that, we may see a very "beast" Bynum (..we may..). I don't think we will see anything special out of him for this coming season though.

Andrew32
08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Why do people act like Bynum never faced double teams in LAL?
He is poor at dealing with them but he can learn to get better at them and its not like he always failed when he got doubled in LA.

Yeah he may face slightly more defensive pressure on this new team and maybe the loss of Pau will hurt him but really the opinion that he will get much worse all of a sudden seems kind of illogical.

Philly has a nice PG and some good shooters.

TrueFan420
08-21-2012, 01:39 AM
I expect a rise in points, but a lower FG% and higher turnovers.

He will do whatever it takes to fool a team into offering him a 4-5yr max contract.

He would max even if he stayed in la. Don't matter where he plays he will get a max cause there's so few centers that are good

LAKERMANIA
08-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I said this in another thread, if Andrew Bynum develops a killer instinct, and hunger to win more championships and to truly be great, then yes.

However if his motivation is to just get a max contract, then his increased numbers will only be temporary for a new contract.

waveycrockett
08-21-2012, 01:53 AM
I think he's going to get exposed. Ask Brook Lopez and Andrew Bogut what it's like facing double and triple teams with trash around you.

DeyAce
08-21-2012, 01:53 AM
I just dont see him staying healthy

neversleep30
08-21-2012, 01:56 AM

THATS TRUE!!!!! with the weapons around him he will dominate. he will be the 1st option and will have 20-25 touches a game now. most will be double teams but soon as the threes drop it will be one-on-one the rest of the way! his numbers will be MUCH BETTER because he wont have a BALLHOGG NAMED KOBE.........!

DreamShaker
08-21-2012, 02:06 AM
No.

This is my thinking, but I hope I'm wrong. I like him better now that he is not on my least favorite (but one of my most respected) teams. But come to think of it, hopefully he stinks it up. Then he can go to the Rockets on the cheap ;-)

SMH!
08-21-2012, 02:39 AM
I think he's going to get exposed. Ask Brook Lopez and Andrew Bogut what it's like facing double and triple teams with trash around you.

So we have trash around him? Lol :eyebrow:

bleedprple&gold
08-21-2012, 07:03 AM
How close will Andrew Bynum, as a 76'er, get to Dwight Howard's level of performance in Orlando? Bynum's the only dominant offensive force the 76'ers have, if you can call him dominant in the post at this point. There's no other star on their entire roster with Andre Igoudala gone. Will Bynum average more touches, points, blocks and rebounds than Howard did?
Personally, I think Bynum will have a greater overall production than Howard, because Howard's playing with Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant. One of the big knocks in Los Angeles was how little Bynum got the ball in crunch time, even though he got to the point where he was sometimes the best option to score. I think part of Bynum's lack of drive in Los Angeles had to do with being the third wheel when he really wanted to be Kobe's new Shaq-zilla. Now, in Philadelphia, there's no excuse not to give him the rock on the inside.

No, Will Bynum plays for the Pistons and isn't that good. Sorry....couldn't resist :D

SteBO
08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, and Thad Young are far from "trash". And Bynum is light years ahead of Bogut and Brook Lopez as low post threats at this point, so you're comparison there is gross.

koreancabbage
08-21-2012, 09:06 AM
no, he won't. He'll be chucking up 3 pointers all game long.

PraiseJesus
08-21-2012, 09:13 AM
he will have some 40/20 games this season

LakersKB24
08-21-2012, 09:18 AM
uhh he can't even handle double teams yet, and that's with the defense focused on Kobe and Pau

Isn't that kind of a contradiction? I mean when he's double teamed the defense obviously is focused on him, too, otherwise he would be facing single coverage all the time.
When he's double teamed it automatically leads to more space for his teammates, the problem is, and this is where I agree with you, that he can't handle double teams effectively. He has to work on his passing and he has to be more patient when being doubled. Sometimes it just seemed he tried to hard to fight through double teams which often lead to turnovers.

That's his biggest weakness, but he still has room to improve, he's still only 24.
If he does, I can see him averaging something like 24 pts, 12 rebs, 2.5 ast, 2 blk, because he DOES have a great skillset offensively and he's also capable of being an anchor on the defensive end. He also has to get rid of his attitude and start showing up every single night, not just when he feels like it.

iamsteel
08-21-2012, 09:19 AM
He will score inefficiently, and rebound a ton, but will lose many games. He may have some shooters, but he doesn't know how to deliver the ball to them. Collins is maybe my favorite coach, but he will have to work miracles this year.

sixer04fan
08-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Typical...

Anyways the Sixers are the only team that can give him a true max deal. About $20 million more than anyone else...

D-Leethal
08-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Tough call. I think Bynum has the goods but there will be a major adjustment period. How will he react to double teams? Does he have the shooters to give him space on the block and prevent double and triple teams from the weakside? Can he pass out of doubles effectively and read them before they get there?

And last but not least, can he stay healthy?

I personally don't think losing Iggy, Lou Will and Brand and adding Bynum is really a net positive. I think they are pretty much on par with where they were at last year, but at least now they have a great young core to head into the future with that seemingly compliments each other much better than it did last year. I just think they need to add more pieces before really becoming a threat to be a 4-5 seed and higher.

PraiseJesus
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
the double team argument is weak.

Anyone with his size and skill will learn how to pass the ball to an open man - he just needs consistent touches which he NEVER got in la

JordansBulls
08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Let's hope not for the Bulls sake.:)

b-ballistic
08-21-2012, 11:26 AM
philly is the perfect place for AB to shine-IMOHO

LakersA's49ers
08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Wish Drew the best. Dont wish him any harm in philly. Also hope he does a terrific job

D-Leethal
08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
the double team argument is weak.

Anyone with his size and skill will learn how to pass the ball to an open man - he just needs consistent touches which he NEVER got in la

I never said he won't, but its not as simple as you make it out to be. Double teams come from all over the place, weakside, strong side, from bigs, from guards on the perimeter.

Reading double teams is a science that the great ones master in the post, but not everyone does. Its not simply 'passing to the open man', you need to be able to see the double team coming before it happens or its too late.

Bynum has never had to deal with sworming doubles and triples his whole career playing with Kobe and Gasol. Its going to be something very new to him.

Not being able to handle double teams is what pretty much de-railed Eddy Curry's once promising career. Not comparing the two, but its something a lot of bigs struggle with when trying to make it to the elite level.

Also, its not like Philly has the shooters to make teams pay for double teaming, so teams are going to sworm Bynum without much regard for perimeter shooters forcing them to stay at home and leaving Bynum in single coverage.

beasted86
08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
He would max even if he stayed in la. Don't matter where he plays he will get a max cause there's so few centers that are good

He will never live up to a max contract is all I'm saying.

I don't expect Bynum to ever reach his potential, even if he stays healthy for the rest of his career. He just doesn't have the drive. If he was really motivated he could be the 2nd coming of Mutumbo on the defensive side of the ball, also with the scoring ability of a young David Robinson.

You'll never see the passion and hunger in his game on either side of the floor like a Garnett, Alonzo Mourning or others. I don't think I've ever seen Bynum play with that type of aggressiveness except for a short stint in '07, and I don't expect him to pick it back up ever.

king4day
08-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Bynum will put up "best center in the NBA" numbers since he'll be the first option in Philly.

NJDrew2
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
I think he will play well. But what happens between him and Doug Collins when he starts shooting from the outside again?

todu82
08-21-2012, 12:01 PM
I think he'll be a solid add to the 76ers roster. I think the addition of Bynum puts Philly in a prime position for a top 5 seed in the East this season.

KniCks4LiFe
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM
the guy sleeps to over 53% shooting. Yes we're going to see beast Bynum. And I don't think anyone in the east is going to stop him, but will he smart enough to make others better w/ post options. That's what is yet to be known.

Stinkyoutsider
08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
I honestly think his scoring numbers will go down a little from the constant doubles he's going to see every day. Teams know that he's going to get the ball and they'll also know that he's the only guy they can't guard one on one, so he'll get plenty of double teams and Philly will shoot a lot of open jumpers.

His best friend coming up this year will be posting deep on the left block and using a quick jump hook. The doubles will probably come when he puts the ball on the floor so he'll need to establish deep position early and make quick decisions if he puts it on the floor.

I think all his other stats may stay the same? Maybe a rebound or 2 more because he won't have to compete with Gasol this year on the boards.

This is the season Bynum really needs to step up and show that he can carry a team. Show the front office that they need to build around him and deserve that big contract.

Swashcuff
08-21-2012, 01:21 PM
I never said he won't, but its not as simple as you make it out to be. Double teams come from all over the place, weakside, strong side, from bigs, from guards on the perimeter.

Reading double teams is a science that the great ones master in the post, but not everyone does. Its not simply 'passing to the open man', you need to be able to see the double team coming before it happens or its too late.

It's a science that can be developed. Its not as if Andrew is going to have so much issues dealing with doubles that he wouldn't eventually get his. The added touches will more than compensate for what he can lose when facing the doubles.

Bynum has never had to deal with sworming doubles and triples his whole career playing with Kobe and Gasol. Its going to be something very new to him.

Actually he has and it was something which he developed during the course of last season while in LA. Early in the season he had no idea how to deal with it but as the season progressed we saw a Bynum who at least seemed to be learning when and where the doubles were coming and displayed the ability to pass effectively out of it. Even playing with Kobe and Gasol he saw quite a few doubles and even the occasional triple team. If he hadn't then this conversation wouldn't even be taking place.

Not being able to handle double teams is what pretty much de-railed Eddy Curry's once promising career. Not comparing the two, but its something a lot of bigs struggle with when trying to make it to the elite level.

I understanding you're not comparing the two and just drawing reference so in that case you should agree with me than Andrew Bynum is a better all round offensive player than Curry and as weird as this may sound has a better IQ as well. I trust Bynum's work ethic (one aspect in which Kobe positively affected Bynum I'm NOT saying he's on Kobe's level but his ethic is admirable) more than I do Eddy Curry's and I do believe that Bynum would do better by himself when it comes to working on his weaknesses.

Also, its not like Philly has the shooters to make teams pay for double teaming, so teams are going to sworm Bynum without much regard for perimeter shooters forcing them to stay at home and leaving Bynum in single coverage.

We currently have 4 players on our perimeter who over the last 3 seasons shot for greater than 37% from the arc. You really think we lack shooting?

Gritz
08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Dude is absolutely frustrating to watch when it comes to being doubled and tripled, and now that he has a worse supporting cast around him, I don't see any difference in his game besides more turnovers and lower efficiency.

StarvingKnick22
08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
of course a knick fan would say that. cant wait for Byum to BEAST the Knicks for the next 8-10 years.

first off, who is byum? and i say that he is immature and said he wasnt gonna stay wherever he is traded. i dont care if they take the division. im just telling you fact.

I Rock Shaqs
08-21-2012, 01:48 PM
No.

Nick Young isn't a scorer? J-Rich although not as good as before isn't a scorer?
Spencer Hawes got a mid-range shot to keep the other big man looking. Dorrell Wright to space the floor, Thaddeus Young ain't a scorer?

2-ONE-5
08-21-2012, 01:49 PM
first off, who is byum? and i say that he is immature and said he wasnt gonna stay wherever he is traded. i dont care if they take the division. im just telling you fact.

care to make a friendly wager?

do u have the stones to bet the dude will turn down 20 million dollars and leave the closest team to his home?

I Rock Shaqs
08-21-2012, 01:52 PM
care to make a friendly wager?

do u have the stones to bet the dude will turn down 20 million dollars and leave the closest team to his home?

Lol Starving knick.....

D-Leethal
08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
It's a science that can be developed. Its not as if Andrew is going to have so much issues dealing with doubles that he wouldn't eventually get his. The added touches will more than compensate for what he can lose when facing the doubles.

Actually he has and it was something which he developed during the course of last season while in LA. Early in the season he had no idea how to deal with it but as the season progressed we saw a Bynum who at least seemed to be learning when and where the doubles were coming and displayed the ability to pass effectively out of it. Even playing with Kobe and Gasol he saw quite a few doubles and even the occasional triple team. If he hadn't then this conversation wouldn't even be taking place.

I understanding you're not comparing the two and just drawing reference so in that case you should agree with me than Andrew Bynum is a better all round offensive player than Curry and as weird as this may sound has a better IQ as well. I trust Bynum's work ethic (one aspect in which Kobe positively affected Bynum I'm NOT saying he's on Kobe's level but his ethic is admirable) more than I do Eddy Curry's and I do believe that Bynum would do better by himself when it comes to working on his weaknesses.

We currently have 4 players on our perimeter who over the last 3 seasons shot for greater than 37% from the arc. You really think we lack shooting?

Of course it can be developed and of course he will get enough touches to 'get his' but my question is will be be able to do it efficiently without turning the ball over or will he be somewhat neutralized by these constant doubles and triples? Anyone can get theirs with enough touches.

Again, I'm not saying he won't, I'm just saying it remains to be seen.

And I honestly didn't realize you guys added Dorrell Wright. With Wright, JRich, Nick Young, and Jrue your perimeter shooting is definitely much improved.

But I honestly haven't ever heard any good things about Bynums work ethic or basketball smarts so I am not sure where you got that from. Not saying its wrong, but it sure is news to me.

Also, of course he saw the occasional double or triple team last season, but it will be a whole new animal this year when there is no Kobe to kick it out to, and there is no Gasol on the opposite block or high post. Bynum was a distant 2nd/3rd option his whole career, opposing defenses are gunning for him and pretty much only him now.

I think its safe to say that nobody can say with certainty Bynum going to struggle or that he puts up 24-12 on 55% shooting. But I think the surest bet is that he will have quite a learning curve especially with the extremely young supporting cast he'll be playing with and not former champs and MVP's and all time greats.

Swashcuff
08-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Of course it can be developed and of course he will get enough touches to 'get his' but my question is will be be able to do it efficiently without turning the ball over or will he be somewhat neutralized by these constant doubles and triples? Anyone can get theirs with enough touches.

Well that's what we're talking about. Being a #1 option and getting say 16-18 FGAs/G as compared to what he was getting in LA (13) one would expect that whatever knock he gets in efficiency would be compensated for in that regard.

Again, I'm not saying he won't, I'm just saying it remains to be seen.

I'm saying the very same but one would be reminisce to say that he can't without acknowledging that its also a possibility.

But I honestly haven't ever heard any good things about Bynums work ethic or basketball smarts so I am not sure where you got that from. Not saying its wrong, but it sure is news to me.

Well seeing that Kareem most recently knocked his work ethic I think that my point may not be the most sound, but it has been reported elsewhere before that Bynum has made it his business to do all that he can to stay healthy and produce at the highest level he possibly could. He has been regarded as a hard worker by teammates in the past and was respected for it. As for his smarts I don't think he's a dumb player but I also don't think he's a very smart one either given his track record on the floor alone.

Also, of course he saw the occasional double or triple team last season, but it will be a whole new animal this year when there is no Kobe to kick it out to, and there is no Gasol on the opposite block or high post. Bynum was a distant 2nd/3rd option his whole career, opposing defenses are gunning for him and pretty much only him now.

I think its safe to say that nobody can say with certainty Bynum going to struggle or that he puts up 24-12 on 55% shooting. But I think the surest bet is that he will have quite a learning curve especially with the extremely young supporting cast he'll be playing with and not former champs and MVP's and all time greats.

No prob with anything here more or less agreed on everything.

alleyooptocoop
08-21-2012, 07:43 PM
i think philly has a super solid lineup. but they lack some punch in certain areas. it's like all of their players are well above average at every position, but no one could be considered "great".......at least not yet. to me philly is one of the most interesting teams to keep an eye on.

Mave1002
08-21-2012, 07:54 PM
25-15-2.

He needs to learn how to get out of a double team.