PDA

View Full Version : Braap Braap shots fired. Stan Van goes in on Orlando F.O

spreadeagle
08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Burn the bridge? Ha, this is more like how The Bridge over the River Kwai ended up.

Which is going to be an interesting discussion in Van Gundy’s next job interview.

Stan Van Gundy has been doing media interviews lately and has started just carpet-bombing his former employers, the Orlando Magic. He was fired from the Magic last year (along with GM Otis Smith) as the Magic tried to appease Dwight Howard (the Magic deny that was the reason) but in the end the Dwightmare just got worse for everyone.

Van Gundy was on 740 The Game in Orlando Monday and just fired shots, specifically at Orlando CEO Tony Martins. Via the Orlando Sentinel (hat tip to The Hangtime Blog).

“It’s a typical lack of understanding from someone who has no sports knowledge, who has never coached or played, who has never been in a lockeroom….it’s a naivete,” Van Gundy said of Martins Monday morning on Mike Bianchi’s show on 740 AM….

“….I’ll stand on the relationships with players based on the results we got.

“I’ll take my share of the blame and management needs to take theirs,” he said…

“The Dwight thing was so big….in an effort, I guess, to make Dwight happy and everything else, we compromised a lot of the culture and values we had before that. It’s always a mistake when you compromise those things…everything goes South. It was no longer a team-first thing,” he said. “It was inevitable things would not go as well.”

Well, I think it is safe to say nobody in Orlando handled this well — not the Magic, not Van Gundy, certainly not Howard. Mitch Kupchak handled it well for the Lakers, I think Philly and Denver did well, but Orlando… Rob Hennigan, you need to nail some draft picks.

“Dwight and I had some things he wasn’t happy with and there were some things I wasn’t happy with,” he said.

Van Gundy said there was no question that Howard had gone to management in an attempt to get him fired. Asked who in management alerted him to that fact, Van Gundy said, “Basically everybody that was above me…to the top level. In my mind, there’s no real dispute that that happened. There’s been people trying to run from it and cloak it in different ways.”

Owner Rich DeVos told the Sentinel during the season that Howard had come to management asking for the coach to be replaced.

Van Gundy said that Smith saw the end game to the Howard situation before anyone else and could have traded the center before he officially made his demand.

“There were various times it could have happened….(Smith) saw this whole thing coming long before the season started,” Van Gundy said. “It ultimately ended up not being his choice.”

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2012/08/stan-van-gundy-magic-ceo-alex-martins-showed-naivete.html

Cal827
08-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Not sure if this really affects his future coaching career.... I think everyone knows that Orlando Management royally ****ed this up. They freaking could have dealt with the problem early, but they let it hang on until they were absolutely wrecked by it.

broncosfan4eva
08-20-2012, 07:25 PM
it will probably bring up little red flags to teams who are looking to hire him wondering when or (if) they have to fire him that he will go out and speak against the team.

yanksrock
08-20-2012, 07:28 PM
So they fired him and Dwight is gone. If Dwight was dead set on leaving why didn't he pull his demand that Stan be replaced?? That's another guys livelihood we're talking about over here.

douglas
08-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Stan Van Gundy has a mustache.

RLundi
08-20-2012, 08:13 PM
LOL at 'braap braap.'

spreadeagle
08-20-2012, 08:17 PM
LOL at 'braap braap.'

in my fake Jamaican guy voice lol

Gritz
08-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Brrrap, Brrrap, Brrrap: Street Slang, Gunshots

justinnum1
08-20-2012, 08:32 PM
love svg

*Superman*
08-20-2012, 08:51 PM
LOL at 'braap braap.'

Yeah that seemed kind of unnecessary. haha.

As for Stan, I don't expect him to praise the Magic after they canned him. It is whatever, let him say what he wants, he does have a knack for saying what is on his mind.

Raph12
08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
He's upset the franchise chose Dwight over him and figures it's "just desserts" for them because Dwight left them with practically nothing... Just a bitter ex-employee sounding off.

RaiderLakersA's
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
He should have kept quiet and wrote a book. Make some money off your grief and bruised ego, don't just give it away for free. :)