PDA

View Full Version : Are the Celtics overrated entering this season?

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
I've seen a lot of people having the Celtics as the 2 seed in the East behind the Heat, and a lot of people also saying they have the best chance to beat the Heat in the East. Really?

You have KG (36), Pierce and Terry both turning 35, with these three aging its not really logical to think they are going to be playing a full injury free season and/or play at the level they have been playing prior years.

On top of it all they play in very arguably the best division in all of the NBA now and then there is also the Pacers and Bulls in the way.

I personally just don't see it, and don't get me wrong I think they will definitely contend especially because of how good Rondo is, but does anyone else think theyre still getting a little too much love?

Lake_Show2416
08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I dont see any team stopping the Heat from getting back to the finals but they r the 2nd best team in the east

JNoel
08-19-2012, 05:10 PM
They are underrated if anything.

I've seen them ranked 7th on an East Standings thread

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I dont see any team stopping the Heat from getting back to the finals

I agree 110%, but if there is any team that is gonna do it, I think its past the Celtics time to be the favorite. I guess time will tell.

They are underrated if anything.

I've seen them ranked 7th on an east standings thread

hm, yeah I guess that is also true..but I don't see them as a top 3 seed, I think I put them at 5 on mine.

justinnum1
08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
They are not overrated at all. They will most likely face miami in the ECF.

Corey
08-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Name a team besides the Heat that are definitely better than Boston.

I don't think they're being overrated at all. If Rose was 100% healthy, the bulls would be considered #2....but he isn't.

JNoel
08-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree 110%, but if there is any team that is gonna do it, I think its past the Celtics time to be the favorite. I guess time will tell.

hm, yeah I guess that is also true..but I don't see them as a top 3 seed, I think I put them at 5 on mine.

Who's your top 3?

xnick5757
08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I've seen a lot of people having the Celtics as the 2 seed in the East behind the Heat, and a lot of people also saying they have the best chance to beat the Heat in the East. Really?

You have KG (36), Pierce and Terry both turning 35, with these three aging its not really logical to think they are going to be playing a full injury free season and/or play at the level they have been playing prior years.

On top of it all they play in very arguably the best division in all of the NBA now and then there is also the Pacers and Bulls in the way.

I personally just don't see it, and don't get me wrong I think they will definitely contend especially because of how good Rondo is, but does anyone else think theyre still getting a little too much love?

they are the deepest team in their division, and they have a lot of talent.

PG: Rondo | Terry | Dooling
SG: Lee | Bradley | Christmas
SF: Pierce | Green | Joseph
PF: Bass | Sullinger | Melo
C: Garnett | Wilcox | Collins

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Name a team besides the Heat that are definitely better than Boston.

I can't say a team that is definitely better, but it goes both ways. There are other teams that you can't say Boston is definitely better.

Who's your top 3?

I see it Heat 1 obviously, then a toss up between Indiana, Brooklyn, Philly, Boston, and New York.

StarvingKnick22
08-19-2012, 05:24 PM
the only proplem is they only have 2 REAL players instead of a whole team. the Knicks and 76ers can be better than the Celtics.
Aurguement Level: just raised by 60%

Jagged QT
08-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Nah, they're rated correctly.

Most fans have them at #2, which should be their seed.

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:25 PM

In my opinion the Sixers are deeper as far as the division is concerned. The Nets have a better starting lineup along with a pretty solid bench. And the Knicks have some depth as well. Out of the division the Pacers are pretty deep.

I mean if your assumption is Sullinger and Melo are going to have a lot of production well then I see how they have great depth, other than that I don't think they have any more depth than the other 4 teams i mentioned.

JNoel
08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Top 8 in the east has to be:
1.Heat-obvious
2.Celtics-the spurs of the east, each year surprises everyone
3.Pacers-good chemistry, good coach
4.76ers/Knicks-toss up
5.76ers/Knicks-toss up
6.Brooklyn Nets-can go higher but can't have any injuries
7.Wizards-good offseason
8.Bulls-no Rose, Deng might get surgery

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Boston is better than any of the other teams KG is still KG, albiet less scoring but brings 100% more focus and game winning mentality than any power forward/center in that division. Sure he's older but its not like he's over 40 years old. the guy can still play.

just being together and having a good coach lets them be the 2nd best team in the division. They upgraded Ray Allen with Terry, who can play more minutes and can do more than shoot 3's and they get one of the better perimeter defenders in Bradley back. They have got Sullinger who is going to beast it and very underrated due to some medical reasons but was supposed to go top 10.

Boston is def better and more well rounded than any Atlantic division team. IMO, they are a top 3 seed- but only b/c the other divisions are easier, another team might jump them in the standings.

greg_ory_2005
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I feel that they're that second best team in the east. I would guess that a lot see it the same way as well. So don't think anyone the overrating them.

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
In my opinion the Sixers are deeper as far as the division is concerned. The Nets have a better starting lineup along with a pretty solid bench. And the Knicks have some depth as well. Out of the division the Pacers are pretty deep.

I mean if your assumption is Sullinger and Melo are going to have a lot of production well then I see how they have great depth, other than that I don't think they have any more depth than the other 4 teams i mentioned.

Boston also has the better coach. almost doesn't even matter if the depths of each team or starting lineups are equal or not. Rivers can and will out coach any of the Atlantic division teams.

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Top 8 in the east has to be:
1.Heat-obvious
2.Celtics-the spurs of the east, each year surprises everyone
3.Pacers-good chemistry, good coach
4.76ers/Knicks-toss up
5.76ers/Knicks-toss up
6.Brooklyn Nets-can go higher but can't have any injuries
7.Wizards-good offseason
8.Bulls-no Rose, Deng might get surgery

The Spurs are surprising because they keep aging and producing in a consistently good conference. For the past few years the Celtics have a favorite in the weak Eastern conference so it really isn't as surprising. They did surprise me last year though, but thats my argument I just think this year age might finally take a toll.

Boston also has the better coach. almost doesn't even matter if the depths of each team or starting lineups are equal or not. Rivers can and will out coach any of the Atlantic division teams.

Doug Collins is an amazing coach, I'm excited to see what he will do with the Sixers this year considering what he pulled off last year.

Toastyy
08-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Finally someone sees it, they're highly overrated, if they get a 4 seed I'll be suprised, the heat pacers bulls sixers Knicks and ever nets have better teams then them

ThePooH_1_
08-19-2012, 05:41 PM
For this upcoming Season I'd put them @ the second spot. But when Rose is back it should be like last years Standings but put the heat at the first place and bulls on 2

xnick5757
08-19-2012, 05:42 PM

PG: Jrue Holiday / Royal Ivey / Xavier Silas
SG: Nick Young / Jason Richardson
SF: Evan Turner / Dorell Wright
PF: Spencer Hawes / Thaddeus Young / Lavoy Allen
C: Andrew Bynum / Kwame Brown

I don't think the 76ers are deeper... evan turner was terrible last year - wright should start over him (I pulled this depth chart from rotoworld, they are usually accurate). SG is also a huge worry for them - young is a inefficient chucker, and richardson isn't much better. The only spot I seem them having good depth at is PF. Brown to back up Bynum? lololol

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:43 PM
For this upcoming Season I'd put them @ the second spot. But when Rose is back it should be like last years Standings but put the heat at the first place and bulls on 2

It sucks that Rose is out, feel bad for him and Bulls nation. If he was in thats just another clear-cut better team. Celtics had the 5th best record in the East last year and now their division just improved greatly and they just got older. I just dont understand why theyre the favorite by many to be the 2 seed.

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

I don't think the 76ers are deeper... evan turner was terrible last year - wright should start over him (I pulled this depth chart from rotoworld, they are usually accurate). SG is also a huge worry for them - young is a inefficient chucker, and richardson isn't much better. The only spot I seem them having good depth at is PF. Brown to back up Bynum? lololol

Thats wrong. We drafted Arnett Moultrie (6'10 PF Miss St) who I believe will be solid, and also instead of Xavier Silas we have Maalik Wayns from Nova. Kwame is considered a joke for good reason, but if anything he provides a little rebounding/size depth. Hawes can play both C/PF, and since we're deep at PF we can have a lot of different looks.

Wouldnt go as far to say Turner was terrible last year either. He just needs to improve his jump shot.

BleedingGreen9
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
how can anyone say they are being overrated??

they were the second best team in the east last year(one game away from the finals) and have done nothing but improve there team.

they have assembled the best bench in the east with

terry
lee
greensullinger
wilcox

three guys who have the potential to drop 20 points on any given night.
there biggest problem besides rebounding last year was bench production barely getting any scoring at all during the playoffs

They are deff the favorite to go against maimi in the ECF
Not saying they are going to beat them but if anyone is going to it has to be the CELTICS

EnWhyKay
08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I dont have them at #2 simply because they are not a regular season team. Doc has no problem resting guys to keep them fresh for the playoffs..

Secondly.. They have a lot of new guys.. THey may start off slow because of chemistry.. It certainly isnt a given..

BleedingGreen9
08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
It sucks that Rose is out, feel bad for him and Bulls nation. If he was in thats just another clear-cut better team. Celtics had the 5th best record in the East last year and now their division just improved greatly and they just got older. I just dont understand why theyre the favorite by many to be the 2 seed.

who pierce and kg

they got younger everywhere else

seikou8
08-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I dont have them at #2 simply because they are not a regular season team. Doc has no problem resting guys to keep them fresh for the playoffs..

Secondly.. They have a lot of new guys.. THey may start off slow because of chemistry.. It certainly isnt a given..

this still boston is the team to beat in Atlantic division and gotten better and
will be ready come playoff time

SteBO
08-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Boston is the only team in the east that can truly beat Miami in a 7 game series. Hell, they almost pulled that off last year, and they got better in the offseason so I don't see how it's a stretch in anyway that they're the clear 2nd best team in the east. Maybe if Rose were 100% healthy, we're having a separate discussion, but since he isn't, no question it's Boston.

BleedingGreen9
08-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Boston is the only team in the east that can truly beat Miami in a 7 game series. Hell, they almost pulled that off last year, and they got better in the offseason so I don't see how it's a stretch in anyway that they're the clear 2nd best team in the east. Maybe if Rose were 100% healthy, we're having a separate discussion, but since he isn't, no question it's Boston.

yes

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 05:57 PM
who pierce and kg

they got younger everywhere else

What do you mean who "Pierce and KG"? You say that as if those aren't two of your most important pieces lol. You brought in Terry who is getting older. Everyone gets a little younger because of the draft obviously, but overall you got older..

SportsFanatic10
08-19-2012, 05:57 PM
i don't like the celtics at all, but they are clearly the 2nd best team in the east imo. i don't think they're overrated at all. they might not finish in the 2 seed during the regular season(i think they'll just want to make top 4), but they are a team built for the playoffs and i expect to see them in the ECF as long as they're fairly healthy.

Chronz
08-19-2012, 05:58 PM
This HAS to be the year their defense finally falters right. How long can KG anchor a defense this good?

xnick5757
08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Thats wrong. We drafted Arnett Moultrie (6'10 PF Miss St) who I believe will be solid, and also instead of Xavier Silas we have Maalik Wayns from Nova. Kwame is considered a joke for good reason, but if anything he provides a little rebounding/size depth. Hawes can play both C/PF, and since we're deep at PF we can have a lot of different looks.

Wouldnt go as far to say Turner was terrible last year either. He just needs to improve his jump shot.

the problem with turner is he can't shoot

12.6 PER / .478 TS% / .455 eFG% / .068WS48 in the regular season
9.0 PER / .414 TS% / .364 eFG% / .002WS48 in the playoffs

those are atrocious. hell, rondo shoots better than that

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 06:02 PM
I just don't see how anyone can possibly say they are the CLEAR number 2 seed.

Sixers took them to 7 games, and greatly improved.
The Nets greatly improved, and the Knicks are good...all these teams are in the same division. If it wasn't for Rose getting hurt, the Bulls would have beat them last year, and would be better this year. And everyone sleeps on the Pacers.

the problem with turner is he can't shoot

12.6 PER / .478 TS% / .455 eFG% / .068WS48 in the regular season
9.0 PER / .414 TS% / .364 eFG% / .002WS48 in the playoffs

those are atrocious. hell, rondo shoots better than that

oh i know man, lol. Its hard to watch sometimes, but i'm sure his shot will improve this year, simply because it can't get much worse. and he doesn't really need to shoot on this team now with the acquired shooters, he does other things very well such as rebounding.

Losoway
08-19-2012, 06:02 PM
very

i really dont think jason terry is gonna do good with the celtics

BobbyHillSwag
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
This HAS to be the year their defense finally falters right. How long can KG anchor a defense this good?

Lol Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. It seems Garnett is one of those players that has the body type that will last very long in the nba. Their defense will be great this year too.

BleedingGreen9
08-19-2012, 06:06 PM
What do you mean who "Pierce and KG"? You say that as if those aren't two of your most important pieces lol. You brought in Terry who is getting older. Everyone gets a little younger because of the draft obviously, but overall you got older..

allen-37
replaced by
terry-34
lee-26

pietrus-30
replaced by
green-25

there was no real back-up pf so biggs

hollins-27
replaced by
sullinger-20

they most surely got younger

97NYer
08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
1. Heat
2. Pacers
3. Knicks
4. Celtics
5. Sixers
6. Nets
7. Bulls (Teague and Nate Robinson do not make up for Rose/Watson, Deng may not play, Asik and Korver gone)
8. Raptors (Lowry/Ross/DeRozan/Bargs/Jonas looks like a nice lineup to me)

thekmp211
no. if healthy they are perhaps the deepest team in the league. and the old guys still got game, KG hit up that hot tub time machine last year.

KNICKS R BACK
nah i dont think they are overrated...they added more size down low, replaced ray allen with courtney lee/ jason terry...KG is old hes still a great leader, Paul P still has something left in the tank...and rondo is my favorite player to watch in the league, absolutely amazing point guard...then add into the mix that they get jeff green back and resigned brandon bass...you dont know what youll get from sullinger but its safe to assume hell be a good role player...plus they get Bradley back from injury...they are a very dangerous team

kblo247
They arent over or under rated. Fact is 2-8 is wide *** open out east because of attrition and mostly Rose's injury

EnWhyKay
They got younger.. But does anybody feel like there may be a slow start due to chemistry?.. They got a bunch of new guys...

SteBO
08-19-2012, 06:09 PM

The Nets greatly improved, and the Knicks are good...all these teams are in the same division. If it wasn't for Rose getting hurt, the Bulls would have beat them last year, and would be better this year. And everyone sleeps on the Pacers.

oh i know man, lol. Its hard to watch sometimes, but i'm sure his shot will improve this year, simply because it can't get much worse. and he doesn't really need to shoot on this team now with the acquired shooters, he does other things very well such as rebounding.
The Celtics improved too though dude, and they had injuries like every other team in the league. Avery Bradley is going to be a key component to their defense, they finally have some more versatility with what they can do with their lineups with the acquisitions of Courtney Lee and Jason Terry. They had absolutely no fire power off their bench last year, and I think they've resolved of those issues.

My only real concern with them if I'm a Celtic fan is their age and age only. If Doc can manage KG and Pierce's minutes well enough like he did last year, they're the team is going to give Miami more fits than any other team out there right now at least until Rose gets back healthy, IF he gets back healthy.

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 06:11 PM
they most surely got younger

You're not really "getting younger" when 3 of your big 4 are over the age of 35 (Terry & Pierce about to be)

no. if healthy they are perhaps the deepest team in the league. and the old guys still got game, KG hit up that hot tub time machine last year.

Deepest team in the league? Really..really?

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Until proven-wise, Boston still the #2 team. Only team that could pass them are the Pacers. just b/c of divisional team play compared to the Atlantic.

took them to 7 games doesn't mean anything, they still loss. sure, Nets and Knicks improved, but so did the Celtics. got younger, got a more useful player in Terry (than Ray Allen) and got Avery Bradley back, who probably is now one of the best defenders in the division at the wing position.

and their coach. you can't only look at the players. Doc Rivers is still the best coach in that division, hands down.

BleedingGreen9
08-19-2012, 06:12 PM
They got younger.. But does anybody feel like there may be a slow start due to chemistry?.. They got a bunch of new guys...

i could see a slow finish resting guys for the playoffs Doc has shown he doesnt care about seeding just health and rest

JasonJohnHorn
08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Well... I think people are hopeful that Garnett plays like he did in the playoffs and that Green plays like an all-star. I don't expect either to happen. But that said, they did get a few nice prospects in the draft and if any of them can contribute, the Celtics, with their veteran leadership and coaching, can hang in a 7-game series with anybody. That said, I would say I'm cautiously optimistic about Boston's chance and I think they will find it a struggle to get into the playoffs, let alone get home court.

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
i could see a slow finish resting guys for the playoffs Doc has shown he doesnt care about seeding just health and rest

thats the only way I see them not getting the #2 seed. but if thats the case, they are still the #2 team in the East (i.e. falling from #2 to #3 or #4 by resting starters)

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about Boston's chance and I think they will find it a struggle to get into the playoffs, let alone get home court.

Struggle to get into the playoffs?! They are a sure playoff team in the East, I am in no way bashing them in that sense, I just dont understand the love theyre getting considering KG, Pierce, and Terry are all old and IMO aren't going to produce like everyone must be assuming theyre going to.

I also know they can run with anyone in a 7 game series, but anyone can also run with them, it goes both ways.

Fireworld
08-19-2012, 06:21 PM
No. They have a nice mix of youth and vets to go deep in the play offs.

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 06:21 PM
thats the only way I see them not getting the #2 seed. but if thats the case, they are still the #2 team in the East (i.e. falling from #2 to #3 or #4 by resting starters)

They had the 5th best record in the East last year..granted Atlanta won't have a better record, and maybe not the Bulls either because of Rose, but NY, Brooklyn, and Philly could ALL have a better record. I don't think people realize how much the division improved, and thats a big reason why I think the Celts will not be a 2 seed this year.

They need to hope they win the division, because if not the Heat, Pacers will also be ahead of them.

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Well... I think people are hopeful that Garnett plays like he did in the playoffs and that Green plays like an all-star. I don't expect either to happen. But that said, they did get a few nice prospects in the draft and if any of them can contribute, the Celtics, with their veteran leadership and coaching, can hang in a 7-game series with anybody. That said, I would say I'm cautiously optimistic about Boston's chance and I think they will find it a struggle to get into the playoffs, let alone get home court.

not necessarily, its also the play of Rondo that dictates the Celtics now.

If they can get Sullinger, a top 5-10 prospect in last years draft, dropped due to medical reasons, to perform at a high level, this actually might be the steal of the draft (other than Perry Jones) - gets great tutelage from Garnett, Bass et all.

but heck, Bass and Garnett is still solid.

Terry, Pierce, Lee, Peitrus (lesser extent) can somewhat score.

Peitrus and Bradley are pretty good defenders.

I dislike the Celtics, but severely underrated the way this thread is going

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 06:28 PM
They had the 5th best record in the East last year..granted Atlanta won't have a better record, and maybe not the Bulls either because of Rose, but NY, Brooklyn, and Philly could ALL have a better record. I don't think people realize how much the division improved, and thats a big reason why I think the Celts will not be a 2 seed this year.

They need to hope they win the division, because if not the Heat, Pacers will also be ahead of them.

I do see them ahead of them in some scenarios. Celts are a good team still. They should be a #2/3 seed this year. they were 4th best team due to division winners.

And the same thing could be said this year around, war of attrition. All 5 Atlantic teams are gonna beat up each other and and more likely scenario: the Atlantic division winner will be 4th place again.

That doesn't mean they aren't the 2nd best team in the league, just that the other 3-4 teams in the same division are almost as good and better than teams in other divisions lol

Aphillyated
08-19-2012, 06:29 PM
theyre way overrated and in no way a lock for the 2 seed imo

thekmp211
08-19-2012, 06:31 PM
You're not really "getting younger" when 3 of your big 4 are over the age of 35 (Terry & Pierce about to be)

Deepest team in the league? Really..really?

...really. is there a problem? they go at least two deep at every position with quality depth on the wings especially. i didn't say they were definitively the deepest team in the nba but they are sure in the conversation.

SteBO
08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I think some of you guys are mixing up "#2 seed in the east", and "2nd best team in the east".

mets100%
08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Age is a factor , but people have been saying this for 4 years and they continue to go deep in the playoffs. This year they got younger and athletic plus the veteran presence that is necessary to win a championship. This team is deep is time to take them seriously and stop using age as an excuse.

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 06:43 PM
I do see them ahead of them in some scenarios. Celts are a good team still. They should be a #2/3 seed this year. they were 4th best team due to division winners.

And the same thing could be said this year around, war of attrition. All 5 Atlantic teams are gonna beat up each other and and more likely scenario: the Atlantic division winner will be 4th place again.

That doesn't mean they aren't the 2nd best team in the league, just that the other 3-4 teams in the same division are almost as good and better than teams in other divisions lol

Yeah thats a solid point about the division beating each other up.

The Nets, Knicks, and Sixers are not only better than most teams in other divisions, but could very well be all better than the Celtics this year. And the Celtics weren't the 4 seed last year because of division winners, they were the 4 seed because of their record, they had the 5th best record in the East and jumped the Hawks bc the Heat won the division.

I agree with whoever said 2-8 is wide open in the east, because its true. I just don't understand those heavily favoring Boston to be the 2 seed. Thats all.

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah thats a solid point about the division beating each other up.

The Nets, Knicks, and Sixers are not only better than most teams in other divisions, but could very well be all better than the Celtics this year. And the Celtics weren't the 4 seed last year because of division winners, they were the 4 seed because of their record, they had the 5th best record in the East and jumped the Hawks bc the Heat won the division.

I agree with whoever said 2-8 is wide open in the east, because its true. I just don't understand those heavily favoring Boston to be the 2 seed. Thats all.

what? of course they were. Division winners are guaranteed a top 4 seeding. Boston was the only Atlantic team in the top 4. Chicago, Heat, Pacers, Celtics

XpLiCiTT
08-19-2012, 07:43 PM
what? of course they were. Division winners are guaranteed a top 4 seeding. Boston was the only Atlantic team in the top 4. Chicago, Heat, Pacers, Celtics

i know, i misunderstood what you said, i thought you were trying to say teams ahead of them didn't have a better record

hgtiger32
08-19-2012, 08:02 PM
They've been getting called "old" and "past their prime" for about 3 years now

Celticsfan2007
08-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Finally someone sees it, they're highly overrated, if they get a 4 seed I'll be suprised, the heat pacers bulls sixers Knicks and ever nets have better teams then them

Hahahaha. Go back to watching the WNBA.

blastmasta26
08-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Pierce and KG are old, but Pierce will continue to be a clutch shooter and KG will continue to at least be a good defender. Rondo is young, Bradley is young although coming off surgery, Green is young, Lee is young, Sullinger is young, and Fab Melo is young. Terry is old but he replaces Ray well.

The Celtics did get older by default since a year passed but the expected drop off in production from Terry, Pierce, and KG should be compensated for with the additions of Lee, Green, Sullinger, and a potentially improved Bradley.

Gritz
08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Philly fan mad

bagwell368
08-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Very good depth in the #1-3 slots, very questionable (read poor) depth at #4 and #5. If they play Green a lot at the #4 with Bass, then you lose out on some depth at the #3, and the rebounding in the #4 slot is going to suck - as it generally does for the Celts on both boards.

3 of the 6 key players are old. KG is totally irreplaceable.

Should be #2 or #3 seed in the East and should be gone in the 2nd or 3rd round (Philly took them to 7, and they got a huge break ducking the Bulls too last year).

Guppyfighter
08-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Pacers and the Sixers are better at this juncture. Fifth seed for Boston.

bagwell368
08-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Pierce and KG are old, but Pierce will continue to be a clutch shooter and KG will continue to at least be a good defender. Rondo is young, Bradley is young although coming off surgery, Green is young, Lee is young, Sullinger is young, and Fab Melo is young. Terry is old but he replaces Ray well.

The Celtics did get older by default since a year passed but the expected drop off in production from Terry, Pierce, and KG should be compensated for with the additions of Lee, Green, Sullinger, and a potentially improved Bradley.

How many times as a Celt has KG made it to the last game of the season 100%?

How did PP look last year toward the end? Bad is the answer

Rondo is young? He's in his 7th year and has started spending time on the injured list in the past few years, he's also not as good as his peak in 2008-2010.

Green is coming off major surgery. The mental aspects of that issue could well be more important than the physical BTW.

Sullinger has proven nothing in the NBA yet, counting on him for anything in particular in the playoffs outside of fouls is dangerous.

Fab has done nothing as well - yet.

bagwell368
08-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Hahahaha. Go back to watching the WNBA.

Oy, the Knicks? Get real.

bagwell368
08-19-2012, 10:22 PM
not necessarily, its also the play of Rondo that dictates the Celtics now.

Nonsense, KG well outplayed Rondo last year. I keep hearing about Rondo taking over since 2008, and he's still yet to do it. Maybe this year w/ KG and PP finally giving in too age it will be true.

Vee-Rex
08-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Raise your hand if you think the only reason the OP made this thread is because Philly just got Bynum.

AllAbout18
08-20-2012, 01:24 AM
The Celtics might not be the 2 seed at the end of the regular season. But there is no doubt in my mind that in late May, it will be the Celtics playing Miami in the ECF. The Nets are not good enough, the only relevant pieces they have added are Joe Johnson and Reggie Evans (Johnson is VERY overrated). The Knicks have the potential, but I've thought that the past 2 years and they just can't seem to put it together with Carmelo and Amare, who seem to fall asleep on the defensive end. The Pacers have a shot if Hibbert improves even more and becomes a top 3 Center in the league and Paul George breaks out into the player that some think he can be. The Bulls are going no where without a healthy Rose, but even with Rose healthy I don't see them being a legit threat. When it's all said and done , Boston will be playing Miami in the playoffs. The C's have added the jet, lee, bradley, green, and sullinger to last year's team. The Heat have added Ray and Rashard and that's pretty much it. D wade will also be 1 year older and 1 year slower. I think the Celtics have a good shot at taking them down, but we'll see.

rhino17
08-20-2012, 01:40 AM
They almost beat the heat last year and only got better

MackSnackWrap
08-20-2012, 01:44 AM
I think this is the last season they have in them to compete. Having said that its likely that they will face Miami in the ECF.

Steelers23_06
08-20-2012, 02:04 AM
i dont think this team got worse honestly i think they stayed about the same with the acquisitions and we all know doc knows how to light the fire in his players. but i think they might not have the same results because the nets and knicks both got better and age will play a major part in this. i dont know if i can see BOS surviving Melo & Stat, Deron & JJ, or young Philly with Bynum, those are all dangerous teams for them and if seeding doesnt work in their favor they could play miami before the ECF. i just think this is hard for them to do but last year proved its not impossible. but i think they had a b+ borderline A- for this offseason. they got steals in the draft while retaining key pieces (aside from Ray). but all in all the chips are against them but when down and out the celtics ball out so like i said dont bet on em but then again dont count em out either

flatbush knicks
08-20-2012, 07:25 AM
celts age will finally catch up to them i think it was a big mistake to resign kg for 3 years at that price that contract will come back to bite them soon i can see them falling all the way down to a sixth seed with philly and ny over them in the division bynum will kill kg every time they face off

Heediot
08-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Pierce is the biggest concern. It looks like he's slowing down. They still have great defense, coaching, and enough talent to scare Miami.

dodie53
08-20-2012, 07:36 AM
KG will start at center now?

Heediot
08-20-2012, 07:36 AM
the only proplem is they only have 2 REAL players instead of a whole team. the Knicks and 76ers can be better than the Celtics.
Aurguement Level: just raised by 60%

They have way better chemistry than the Knicks do at this point. It's the Knicks that have individual talent and lack chemistry as a team.

flatbush knicks
08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
KG will start at center now?

yeah not really a smart move espeacially with bynum now on the sixers and all the size ny has up front

Heediot
08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Screw it. What I wanted to say has already been said. Edit Post.

superior
08-20-2012, 08:11 AM
unless they are considered to be serious contenders, then they are UNDERRATED!.....dont worry about ages, boston has PLENTY of depth, kg, pierce, and terry will get plenty of rest throughout the season....when your back ups are jason terry, courtney lee, jeff green, brandon bass, fab melo, and jared sullenger, youve done something right

Lil Rhody
08-20-2012, 08:19 AM

You are a joke dude he claim your rookies are gonna be solid and the celtics might not produce or what ever you said. Homer get off your homer boner

flatbush knicks
08-20-2012, 08:21 AM
unless they are considered to be serious contenders, then they are UNDERRATED!.....dont worry about ages, boston has PLENTY of depth, kg, pierce, and terry will get plenty of rest throughout the season....when your back ups are jason terry, courtney lee, jeff green, brandon bass, fab melo, and jared sullenger, youve done something right

two of them are rookies and bass iis ok ther front line will get eaten alive this year in the atlantic division but i do like ther guard depth but defense wins and we don't know how those rookies are going to play and ca kg hold up for an 82 game season idk overrated

koreancabbage
08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
two of them are rookies and bass iis ok ther front line will get eaten alive this year in the atlantic division but i do like ther guard depth but defense wins and we don't know how those rookies are going to play and ca kg hold up for an 82 game season idk overrated

Boston is good defensively too. Sullinger was a top 5 pick before medical reasons took into affect.

XpLiCiTT
08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
You are a joke dude he claim your rookies are gonna be solid and the celtics might not produce or what ever you said. Homer get off your homer boner

Great argument...

.. Anyway, assuming the Heat are the 1 seed, I see Boston being a 4-5 seed which means they'll play the Heat before the ECF..I just don't see the deep playoff run personally..but that doesn't mean I don't think they're capable of it. I know they are a good team, but I don't think they should be thought of going into this year as the sure 2nd best team in the East.

juster1028
08-20-2012, 12:01 PM
when u got a start 5 of this players ;

pG: raymond rondo
sg;.;q Courtney Lee
Sf: paul Pters
PF: Kevin garrett
c; Bradley Base

is gonna be hard to stoop no? bnhow can u ysay overaited

XpLiCiTT
08-20-2012, 12:16 PM
when u got a start 5 of this players ;

pG: raymond rondo
sg;.;q Courtney Lee
Sf: paul Pters
PF: Kevin garrett
c; Bradley Base

is gonna be hard to stoop no? bnhow can u ysay overaited

hahaha i like this guy

juster1028
08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
hahaha i like this guy

ty m8 i see u r a atlanta hawk fan from ur aviatar me 2

Stinkyoutsider
08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't see them as underrated. If Melo and Sullinger have good seasons, I think they can get past the Knicks, Nets, and Pacers in a 7 game series. The Celtics might be old but they have a lot of experience and great chemistry with the core players being together and clear leadership in the team. Also, it doesn't hurt to have Doc Rivers coaching your team.

Rondo makes everything easier for his teammates so Boston's scorers and shooters can focus on finishing and let Rondo make the plays for them.

bbd24
08-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Extremely underrated. Easily a top 3 team in the East. Lebron would still be searching for his first championship save it be for 3 key injuries (Green, Bradley, Wilcox) to that Celtic team. They've upgraded this offseason, not downgraded.

They have it all. Setup perfectly. Great coach. Great veterans, & young guys who can still be developed.

Adding Terry & Lee was a beast move by Ainge. Getting Jeff Green back helps with there depth incredibly. Bradley, Sullinger, & Melo have potential through the roof. A championship caliber team, no doubt. If Ainge hits on Sullinger early, you might as well bring the trophy home once again to beatown.

SG: Lee | Bradley |
PF: Bass | Sullinger | Collins
C: Garnett | Wilcox | Melo

tuki274
08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I believe the Celtics will still pull out of the atlantic division at the top. They only got younger and better this year with the pieces they've added. I know everyone says theyre old and that theyre 1 year older than they were last year but everybody has been saying that the past 3 years and theyve definitely made that up with the acquisitions and re-signings they made in the offseason. Come on guys, they took Miami to game 7 with a bench of dooling and pietrus.....and i believe rondo is still gonna play as well or even get better (who the heck said his prime was in 2008-2010?!)

with that said...it will be definitely a tougher road for them with all the teams getting better but I still think they're better in many aspects other than just talent...theyve got leadership and experience and great coaching

Plus, i know philly got better with bynum but he's a bonehead. Philly traded their all star veteran leader for a young kid who has yet to mature. dont tell me hes going to be the leader of the team. (PS. evan turner is a knucklehead too! lol) but I believe they will make some noise because they are a legitimately talented team but it wont be enough to get anywhere

Lil Rhody
08-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Great argument...

.. Anyway, assuming the Heat are the 1 seed, I see Boston being a 4-5 seed which means they'll play the Heat before the ECF..I just don't see the deep playoff run personally..but that doesn't mean I don't think they're capable of it. I know they are a good team, but I don't think they should be thought of going into this year as the sure 2nd best team in the East.

Not bad while on the ******* at work eh ?

bagwell368
08-20-2012, 08:22 PM
they took Miami to game 7 with a bench of dooling and pietrus.....

And Philly took them to 7 and they were weak, the Celts also dodged the Bulls too.

and i believe rondo is still gonna play as well or even get better (who the heck said his prime was in 2008-2010?!)

I said it, and it's completely true. His FG and FT% are worse, his steals are down, his TOV's are way up - barely covered by his additional assists, his missed games are also up. He thinks nothing of taking games off, only seems to save himself up for big games. He personally screwed the Celts out of a playoff seed or two back in 2010-2011 because he was pouting over his pal Perk getting dealt (thank god Danny dealt that load out of Boston).