PDA

View Full Version : Tweet claims Crawford to ask Sox to go for surgery

bagwell368
08-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Just now on 98.5. I missed the name of the writer that tweeted it, will add.

Crawford strikes again, just as his OPS+ was above his career norm (a pathetic 105 BTW)....

Edit: Pete Abraham it was

Soxfan85
08-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Just now on 98.5. I missed the name of the writer that tweeted it, will add.

Crawford strikes again, just as his OPS+ was above his career norm (a pathetic 105 BTW)....

huh?

bagwell368
08-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Hunh? Peter Abraham says Crawford asking to be shut down to get his surgery.

JPBoston
08-18-2012, 02:54 PM
While I'm no fan of the signing of CC --- I don't hold nearly as much venom for the man-himself as you do, Bags.

Honestly, I think he's going with the 'best for the team' AND himself decision... The Sox ain't making the playoffs, nothing he does now will matter. Better to get healthy and return next season. Hopefully his 'better' play will help his confidence going into next year.

The only reason NOT to do the surgery now is to sell more tickets, t-shirts and pink hats. Unless you actually believe the Red Sox training/medical staff... who obviously have an exquisite record of examination and diagnosis.

Crucis
08-18-2012, 03:02 PM
While I'm no fan of the signing of CC --- I don't hold nearly as much venom for the man-himself as you do, Bags.

Honestly, I think he's going with the 'best for the team' AND himself decision... The Sox ain't making the playoffs, nothing he does now will matter. Better to get healthy and return next season. Hopefully his 'better' play will help his confidence going into next year.

The only reason NOT to do the surgery now is to sell more tickets, t-shirts and pink hats. Unless you actually believe the Red Sox training/medical staff... who obviously have an exquisite record of examination and diagnosis.

I agree with everything you've written here, JP. The only additional reason that I'd add for delaying things would be to try to build up his confidence in his game. But I think that perhaps with his pretty good play, perhaps Crawford already feels better about his game and has decided that any further playing this season only delays his recovery with no good reason.

Pavelb1
08-18-2012, 03:25 PM
I agree with everything you've written here, JP. The only additional reason that I'd add for delaying things would be to try to build up his confidence in his game. But I think that perhaps with his pretty good play, perhaps Crawford already feels better about his game and has decided that any further playing this season only delays his recovery with no good reason.

Sure. Why not?

Though I still maintain his 'success' is based on pinhead pitchers. He's walked...3 times? Stop throwing the guy strikes. He's likely to hit a double if you do. Make him earn the trip to first. Same with Ciriaco of the 2 walks.

So many dumb pitchers.

bagwell368
08-18-2012, 04:20 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but at this point my comment was purely one related to the irony of the signing and its results.

That's the same thing I've said since it came out that he'd need the surgery sooner or later. Ironic that he has to cut off his season just when he was playing pretty well - although some of his at bats are still head scratchers.

Crucis
08-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Sure. Why not?

Though I still maintain his 'success' is based on pinhead pitchers. He's walked...3 times? Stop throwing the guy strikes. He's likely to hit a double if you do. Make him earn the trip to first. Same with Ciriaco of the 2 walks.

So many dumb pitchers.

Well, if they were brain surgeons, they'd be, well, brain surgeons. And sometimes a lack of control makes a pitch more hittable rather than less hittable. But yes, it's entirely possible that he's making hay off of weak pitchers.

xnick5757
08-19-2012, 10:55 AM
crawford was actually doing well this season, i think after his surgery he will regain his talent (hopefully)

his batting stats this season:

.346 wOBA | 113 wRC+

8th on the team in wOBA, 8th in wRC+ too. A very above average hitter. I'm a little amazed he can do this with a torn UCL in his elbow. He needs TJ surgery, and he should get it. Sox aren't making the playoffs anyways...

EDIT: basically this:

unwantedplayer
08-19-2012, 09:41 PM
CC getting surgery Tuesday

Update: While the official statement is that the Red Sox will decide Carl Crawford‘s fate Monday, ESPN is reporting that the decision has already been made that Crawford will undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday, making tonight’s game his last of the season.

///

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said the Red Sox will meet on the off day Monday and make a decision on Tommy John surgery for Carl Crawford.

Crawford and doctors are expected to be involved in the meeting.

Rumor has Crawford preferring to undergo surgery now, which should ensure that he’s ready to play next spring. The Red Sox, though, might want to put it off, figuring that he could still be ready for Opening Day even if he waits until after the season to undergo surgery.

With a .309 average, two homers and 15 RBI in 17 games this month, Crawford has been one of the team’s best players of late.

In spite of all of the team’s struggles, the Red Sox still have some shot at a playoff berth, thanks largely to the addition of the second wild card. Of course, they would have to catch fire, something they haven’t done at any point this season. They’re currently 6 1/2 games back of the Orioles for the second wild card spot with 41 games left to play.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/19/red-sox-to-decide-carl-crawfords-fate-on-monday/

Nomar
08-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Good

Station 13
08-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Might want to give him a full scan for other dormant issues as well.

bagwell368
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
crawford was actually doing well this season, i think after his surgery he will regain his talent (hopefully)

Let's be clear: The AL's average LF has an OPS+ of 106, a mere 1% below Crawford's number.

Crawford's defense is average this year, a far cry from 2010 and before.

According to FG, he's earned $2.7M this year, a long way from the $19.5M he's being paid for 2012.

Crawford's career OPS+ is 105, I'm sure he can regain that, as far as being worth ~$20M with his average D, and his decreasing base stealing (5 SB attempts out of a possible 55 opportunities - or about half of what he used to put up in 2010 and before - well that's just not in the cards.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Didier Morais ‏@DidierMorais
Red Sox met with Carl Crawford today and announced that he will undergo Tommy John surgery on Thursday.

Confirmed.