PDA

View Full Version : Where does Dwight Howard rank now on the all time Centers List?

JordansBulls
08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Where does Dwight Howard rank now on the all time Centers List?

And where do you think he will end up?

Centers

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Bill Walton
Moses Malone
Mikan
Cowens
Sabonis
Thurmond
Parish
Brad Daugherty
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Hellcrooner
08-18-2012, 09:39 AM
No order.

Behind: Mikan,Wilt, Russell, thurmond, Cowens,Kareem, Reed, Gilmore,Lanier, Bellamy Moses Malone,Walton, Unseld,Parish Hakeem, Ewing, RObinson, Shaq.

He will probably END Behind the bolded ones in any case.

Hellcrooner
08-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Centers

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Bill Walton
Moses Malone
Mikan
Cowens
Sabonis
Thurmond
Parish
Brad Daugherty
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Were PF.

xnick5757
08-18-2012, 09:45 AM
howard is 23rd overall in win shares right now out of all centers

jabbar
chamberlain
shaq
robinson
malone
russell
olajuwon
parish
bellamy
ewing
lanier
mutombo (why isn't he is the HoF???)
sikma
unseld
mikan
gilmore
laimbeer
macauley
divac
johnston
mourning
mcadoo

are the ones ahead of him. he is in good company though, 17 of them are in the HoF (with shaq to join them soon)

Swashcuff
08-18-2012, 09:46 AM
No order.

Behind: Mikan,Wilt, Russell, thurmond, Cowens,Kareem, Reed, Gilmore,Lanier, Bellamy Moses Malone,Walton, Unseld,Parish Hakeem, Ewing, RObinson, Shaq.

Wait you think he'll be better than Walton but not Bellamy? Interesting. I guess you don't value peak very highly. Outside of that I like your selections though. I really don't know how I feel about Mikan but if we're going relative to how they played against their competition he HAS to be ahead of Dwight.

Hellcrooner
08-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Wait you think he'll be better than Walton but not Bellamy? Interesting. I guess you don't value peak very highly. Outside of that I like your selections though. I really don't know how I feel about Mikan but if we're going relative to how they played against their competition he HAS to be ahead of Dwight.

I value Career over Peak, Always.
Thats what drops the likes of Bernard King, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Walton etc some spots on any rankings i do.

Hellcrooner
08-18-2012, 09:50 AM
howard is 23rd overall in win shares right now out of all centers

jabbar
chamberlain
shaq
robinson
malone
russell
olajuwon
parish
bellamy
ewing
lanier
sikma
unseld
mikan
gilmore
laimbeer
macauley
divac
johnston
mourning
mcadoo

are the ones ahead of him. he is in good company though, 17 of them are in the HoF (with shaq to join them soon)

Hasnt been retired for enough years to be eligible i think.
He should enter in some time.

Swashcuff
08-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Here (http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.com/2011/08/predicting-dwight-howards-place-in.html) is an article that entails some of this. Here (http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.com/2011/08/best-defensive-centers-of-all-time.html) is another.

PhillyFaninLA
08-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Today I'd put him around Moses and Mikan, but when his career is over I don't see why he wouldn't make the top 5.

freedas
08-18-2012, 10:29 AM
No order.

no way he's better than Ewing defensively or offensively.

JordansBulls
08-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Here (http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.com/2011/08/predicting-dwight-howards-place-in.html) is an article that entails some of this. Here (http://basketballjournalist.blogspot.com/2011/08/best-defensive-centers-of-all-time.html) is another.
So they think he is top 10 all time with 3 rings???

Andrew32
08-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Today I'd put him around Moses and Mikan, but when his career is over I don't see why he wouldn't make the top 5.

Top 5?
:facepalm:

1. Shaq / Kareem
3. Russell
4. Hakeem
5. Wilt

D12 fan
08-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Dwight is 29th best center in NBA history behind Manute Bol.

b@llhog24
08-18-2012, 02:58 PM
He should be top 10 by time as his career is over, assuming he keeps racking up DPOY, All Nba teams/all star selections/and possibly a ring or two.

KNICKS R BACK
08-18-2012, 03:16 PM
people vastly overrate Dwight...he doesnt scare me, he doesnt domiante the game consistently the way he should being the freak of nature that he is...on the defensive end yes, but as an overall center? he dissappears in fourth quarters and spaces out occasionally...he would of gotten eaten alive in the 90s, he is a very good player but to put him in the top 10 of all time right now is kind of jumping the gun...MAYBE at the end of his career, but to say hes gonna be top 5 is absolutely rediculous... i see him being more in the 8-12 range...heres a list i would take over him...no particular order

Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem, Ewing, David Robinson, Bill Russell, Willis Reed, Moses Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Wilt Chamberlain...thats 10 just off the top of my head

Raph12
08-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
Moses Malone
Dwight Howard
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Bill Walton
Mikan
Cowens
Sabonis
Thurmond
Parish
Brad Daugherty
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Raph12
08-18-2012, 03:34 PM
people vastly overrate Dwight...he doesnt scare me, he doesnt domiante the game consistently the way he should being the freak of nature that he is...on the defensive end yes, but as an overall center? he dissappears in fourth quarters and spaces out occasionally...he would of gotten eaten alive in the 90s, he is a very good player but to put him in the top 10 of all time right now is kind of jumping the gun...MAYBE at the end of his career, but to say hes gonna be top 5 is absolutely rediculous... i see him being more in the 8-12 range...heres a list i would take over him...no particular order

Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem, Ewing, David Robinson, Bill Russell, Willis Reed, Moses Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Wilt Chamberlain...thats 10 just off the top of my head

Remove Reed, Ewing and Zo... Dwight's already better than they ever were.

StarvingKnick22
08-18-2012, 03:35 PM
He will end up infront of Wilt and Shaq.

Raph12
08-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Whoa that's pushing it, IMO he ends up like this:

1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Shaq
4. Hakeem
5. DRob
6. Dwight
7. Russell
8. Moses
9-to-Infinite. Everyone else

Swashcuff
08-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Ahead of Bill Russell? NEVER!

LAKERMANIA
08-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Way too early to say.

Losoway
08-18-2012, 03:57 PM
shaq to me is the best center to ever play the game

dwight is way way way way way below that .

Losoway
08-18-2012, 03:58 PM
but to be fair . its way to early to say

what if dwight dominates the nba for years like shaq did ?

RLundi
08-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Wow, Dwight is getting WAY too much love this early in his career. Ahead of Ewing, Bill Russell, etc? I completely disagree. Dwight is playing against the weakest crop of big men in recent memory. Being the best C in the league has a completely different meaning than it did in years past.

NYtilIdie
08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Dwight barely cracks my top 15, he won't ever be ranked high with the other greats.

smith&wesson
08-18-2012, 04:18 PM
as of right now this is where i would rank him.

Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Wilt
Russell
Moses Malone
D.Robins
Mourning
P.Ewing
D.howard
Bill Walton
Ben wallace
Robert parish
Sabonis
Dikembe Mutombo

by the end of howards career though he can def climb this list with some ships and mvp's

Longhornfan1234
08-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Howard over Moses Malone? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

1. Wilt
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem
6. Moses
7. Admiral
8. Ewing
9. Howard

Dankster
08-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Hard to tell at this point, a lot of his awards in my opinion don't hold as much merit as it would have if he played pretty much in any other era outside of the 2000's.

It's hard for me to think he would've even been a top 4 Center in the early 90's when guys like Hakeem, Patrick, Shaquille O'neal and David Robinson were leading their teams.

Hard for me to believe he would've even been a top 3 defensive center in the league during the 80's when guys like Hakeem, Patrick and Mark Eaton were dominating the league defensively. I really don't think he would've been able to win a DPOY award at all during the 1980's or 1990's.

Also, I don't know how dominant of a rebounder he would've been playing in the 80's or 90's. There were a lot of bruisers in the league capable of putting up 12-14 rebounds per game easily (Rodman, Moses, Barkley, Malone, Hakeem, Patrick, Admiral.)

He's blessed to be in easily the worst era for Centers of the past 40 years. I never even mentioned guys like Wilt, Kareem and Bill Russell, guys he'll never match up to talent or resume-wise so I didn't want to bother with that comparison.

Swashcuff
08-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Bill Russell is a top 5 player all time the winningest athlete in all of the top american sporting leagues and hands down the greatest defensive player in league history. I am astounded that someone would possibly think to rank Dwight Howard ahead of him.

JasonJohnHorn
08-18-2012, 06:41 PM
He doesn't rank very high on my list. Here is a list of Cs that I think are better than Dwight and that I would rather build around than Dwight, in no particualr order.

Hakeem
Robinson
Russell
Wilt
Shaq
Moses
Mourning
Mutumbo
Thurmond
Ewing
Kareem.
Unseld

I think most fans would agree with me on this list with perhaps the exception of Mutombo, but as good as Dwight is on defence, he was not better than Mutumbo. I believe that Mutumbo was the best defensive center to ever play the game, and he is just as good a rebounder as Dwight. On the offensive end, what I like about Mutumbo is that he KNEW he didn't have an offensive game, and so played a role on offence that was suited to him. Howard THINKS he has an offensive game and wants the ball more than he should be getting it. I'd rather have a player who knew and understood his limitations, because if they don't there is going to be a lot of drama that distracts fromt he game. Same can be said of Ben Wallace and Wes Unsled.

bagwell368
08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Dwight is too passive. If he played in the 80's the big bad boys would take his lunch from him almost every night. Dwight is only dominant because the state of Centers is abysmal.

I like that list with the highlights - except I hate Bellamy, and Ewing is still well ahead of Dwight - remember he had to play against real Centers.

Dwight might end up cracking the top 10 - in particular if he wins some titles as a leader of his team, no way he cracks the top 7-8 however.

Sadds The Gr8
08-18-2012, 08:00 PM
he'll end up like top 8 at best.

Chronz
08-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Untouchable careers as of now:

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Moses Malone

Somewhere here would be my guess:

Mikan
Cowens
Parish
Alonzo Mourning
Bill Walton
Yao
Sabonis (Homer pick, definitely not in Dwights class in terms of NBA career, but in terms of talent. F Yea

Not liking these guys over him:

Thurmond
Brad Daugherty
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

When its all said and done, I think he will overtake all but the following:

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
Moses

So Top-8

JordansBulls
08-18-2012, 10:30 PM

Better than Reed sure, Ewing and Zo not so much so. Afterall Yao was never better than them and many consider Yao to be better than Dwight.

Chronz
08-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Better than Reed sure, Ewing and Zo not so much so. Afterall Yao was never better than them and many consider Yao to be better than Dwight.

Reed was better than all of them

Lakersfan2483
08-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Centers

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Bill Walton
Moses Malone
Mikan
Cowens
Sabonis
Thurmond
Parish
Brad Daugherty
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

As of now, I have him behind the following guys: Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Hakeem, D. Robinson, M. Malone, W. Reed, P. Ewing, G. Mikan and Bill Walton. When he ends his career though, he will be a top 10 center, especially if he wins a few rings and finals mvps.

Lakersfan2483
08-18-2012, 11:23 PM

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Moses Malone

Mikan
Cowens
Parish
Alonzo Mourning
Bill Walton
Yao
Sabonis (Homer pick, definitely not in Dwights class in terms of NBA career, but in terms of talent. F Yea

Thurmond
Brad Daugherty
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
Moses

So Top-8

Good assessment.

ohreally
08-18-2012, 11:25 PM

Dwight is in no way even close to Ewing, and since he's very limited offensively he would have had to go Mano e Mano with Reed on that end, and good luck with that. Howard is basically defense, and Marvin Webster was way better than him on that end.

I'd rank him about at the level of Mahorn.

JordansBulls
08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Dwight is in no way even close to Ewing, and since he's very limited offensively he would have had to go Mano e Mano with Reed on that end, and good luck with that. Howard is basically defense, and Marvin Webster was way better than him on that end.

I'd rank him about at the level of Mahorn.

:speechless:

ohreally
08-19-2012, 12:22 AM

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Moses Malone

Mikan
Cowens
Parish
Alonzo Mourning
Bill Walton
Yao

Thurmond
Brad Daugherty
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
Moses

So Top-8

Gilmore isn't getting much love. He was better than Shaq and gets ranked below Brad Daugherty??? Lanier was better than Howard. Thurmond was better than Howard.

And Ewing was better than Robinson.

DreamShaker
08-19-2012, 12:26 AM
I see him at Alonzo Mourning's level right now, at best. I agree with what Chronz said about his peak.

Raph12
08-19-2012, 01:12 AM

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Moses Malone

Mikan
Cowens
Parish
Alonzo Mourning
Bill Walton
Yao

Thurmond
Brad Daugherty
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
Moses

So Top-8

This sounds about right.

I didn't include Russell because I don't believe he'd be even remotely close to as dominant as he was if he played in the 70s-to-present... Career-wise, of course it's not close.

Chronz
08-19-2012, 01:20 AM

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Moses Malone

Mikan
Cowens
Parish
Alonzo Mourning
Bill Walton
Yao

Thurmond
Brad Daugherty
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
Moses

So Top-8

Gilmore isn't getting much love. He was better than Shaq and gets ranked below Brad Daugherty??? Lanier was better than Howard. Thurmond was better than Howard.

Literally, nothing you said was true

Lakersfan2483
08-19-2012, 03:19 AM

Gilmore better than Shaquille O'neal? :rolleyes: Come on now, that is a joke, right? What facts do you have to back this ridiculous claim up with?

Swashcuff
08-19-2012, 10:36 AM
This sounds about right.

I didn't include Russell because I don't believe he'd be even remotely close to as dominant as he was if he played in the 70s-to-present... Career-wise, of course it's not close.

That is your opinion but Russell's impact was more than just a player. He was a leader, a coach, a role model, a selfless player on the floor, a genius on the basketball court with possibly the highest IQ of any C to play the game, he impacted the game without the basketball in his hand more so than any player in the history of the game and to top it all off he was an extremely versatile defensive player something Dwight Howard despite all his athletic ability cannot boast of being on Russell's, Dream's, Wallace's, etc level of top tier defensive versatility.

While I value your opinion as a poster when it comes to Dwight Howard your rational thinking seems to go out the window. Your opinion is that Russell would not remotely close to what he was but I'd be willing to say that 95% of the knowledgeable basketball universe would not share this opinion.

We have never seen another player quite like Bill Russell.

Longhornfan1234
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM

So much fail in your post. Ewing is not better than the Admiral.

JordansBulls
08-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Gilmore was no where near Shaq.

THE MTL
08-19-2012, 03:31 PM
If Howard played in any other era of basketball. He would be a normal above-average center. I can see him being more of a mutumbo career with slightly better offense.

If he wins rings in LA, I know they are going to overrate him on the all-time list though.

Hangtime
08-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Those not familiar with Nate the great Thurmond, the man was a tenacious defender and shot blocker down in the paint and was as physical as they came. The guy gave Wilt and Kareem absolute fits. He gets overshadowed because of them. Dwight has a long way to go but lucky for him he is still in the middle of his prime. But as of now, for a guy in his dominant position in today's game he leaves more to be desired offensively. I've seen the guy have problems with Perkins. He commits bonehead offensive fouls and frustrates easily. And defensively, other than Bynum, really no great centers to take him to the limit.

Some of the lists I see are similar to mine. But most of those guys were either great two way centers, excelled defensively better than Dwight. Far more physically dominant. Dwight seriously needs to improve to move up into top 12 IMO.

Swashcuff
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Those not familiar with Nate the great Thurmond, the man was a tenacious defender and shot blocker down in the paint and was as physical as they came. The guy gave Wilt and Kareem absolute fits. He gets overshadowed because of them. Dwight has a long way to go but lucky for him he is still in the middle of his prime. But as of now, for a guy in his dominant position in today's game he leaves more to be desired offensively. I've seen the guy have problems with Perkins. He commits bonehead offensive fouls and frustrates easily. And defensively, other than Bynum, really no great centers to take him to the limit.

Some of the lists I see are similar to mine. But most of those guys were either great two way centers, excelled defensively better than Dwight. Far more physically dominant. Dwight seriously needs to improve to move up into top 12 IMO.

Nate is a top 5 defensive C IMO and better than Dwight in that regard but he was one of the weakest offensive players of his calibre but apparently didn't understand that and really hurt his team offensively by shooting as much as he did.

Dwight is a top 10 defensive C however and an argument could be made for him being top 10 offensively when its all said and done. He'd be one of the most efficient scorers at the position ever.

KnicksorBust
08-19-2012, 04:44 PM
In terms of career achievements, I'd put him around 15. I think he'll crack top 10 when it's done.

b@llhog24
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Literally, nothing you said was true

:laugh2:

BleedingGreen9
08-19-2012, 06:32 PM

laugh out loud

BRADfromOZ
08-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Somewhere outside the top 20.

Knicks4life34
08-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Howard is definitely not in my top ten. Has a lot to prove still

justinnum1
08-19-2012, 10:38 PM
knicks4life33, totally agree.

Bruno
08-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I think he retires at 6th-8th, debated against Moses Malone and David Robinson. Cracking the top five seems nearly impossible, but if he racks a few rings and finals MVPs, with dominant rebounding numbers, and DPOYs he'll pass the likes of Walton, Ewing, B. Wallace, Mutombo, Mourning, ect quite easily. too early to tell.

rapjuicer06
08-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Moses Malone

Mikan
Cowens
Parish
Alonzo Mourning
Bill Walton
Yao

Thurmond
Brad Daugherty
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
Moses

So Top-8

This was a great post. You hit it on the head and I completely agree.

As much as I hate Howard at the moment, he's still easily the best big man in the game right now. Does that say much? Not really, but it can still be said about him.

If he had ANY basketball IQ to him, and match it with his untapped potential, he could end up a top 5 to top 3 center in the NBA. But Howard is not about basketball, he is about him, and him only. He's too selfish of a player to become a better team player (offensively) and he's literally too dumb to reach his potential. He is more physically gifted and athletic than any other center ever, besides maybe Shaq. I know in a couple years I will like Dwight again, so I hope he gets his head screwed on right and reaches that potential

SugeKnight
08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
1. Kareem
2. Shaq
3. Russell
4. Wilt
5. Hakeem
6. Moses
7. Robinson
8. Ewing
9. Thurmond
10. Howard

JordansBulls
09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
1. Kareem
2. Shaq
3. Russell
4. Wilt
5. Hakeem
6. Moses
7. Robinson
8. Ewing
9. Thurmond
10. Howard

He will be better than Thurmond.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
lol.. too early but hes def no where near top 15.

hes only 28..
so i dont wanna say anything more than he has a long road ahead of him.

Time will tell of course.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
wow lol @ some of the top 10 centers list.

1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Russell
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem
6. Mikan
7. Moses Malone
8. Robinson
9. Ewing
10. Bill Walton

(with 2 and 3 interchangeable)

dwight is nowhere near top 10 yet LOL.

didnt even include alonzo, thurmond, gilmore, mutombo, reed, cowens, parish, unseld, etc.

Dwight has a while to get there.
and over his career he should crack top 15. or i expect him to with the lack of centers in the nba, and lack of maturity in centers (cousins, bynum).

Captain Moroni
09-30-2012, 10:41 AM
1. Baby Huey
2. Whining Baby
3. Cry Baby
4. Baby Fit
5. Baby Dwight

Yup, top 5.

naps
09-30-2012, 11:23 AM
If Howard played in any other era of basketball. He would be a normal above-average center. I can see him being more of a mutumbo career with slightly better offense.

If he wins rings in LA, I know they are going to overrate him on the all-time list though.

+1.

He's ridiculously overrated. I see him getting close to top 10 when it's all said and done (And he needs to be a lot more improved offensively in order to crack the top 10).

b@llhog24
09-30-2012, 12:38 PM
He will be better than Thurmond.

How come your threads never get closed when you bump them? :confused:

wow lol @ some of the top 10 centers list.

1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Russell
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem
6. Mikan
7. Moses Malone
8. Robinson
9. Ewing
10. Bill Walton

(with 2 and 3 interchangeable)

dwight is nowhere near top 10 yet LOL.

didnt even include alonzo, thurmond, gilmore, mutombo, reed, cowens, parish, unseld, etc.

Dwight has a while to get there.
and over his career he should crack top 15. or i expect him to with the lack of centers in the nba, and lack of maturity in centers (cousins, bynum).

He will finish ahead of all those guys.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-30-2012, 12:57 PM

time will tell.

Gormans Mic
09-30-2012, 01:11 PM
wow over rated..top 5?? no way ever. He doesn't dominate and win games like other bigs of all time, not even close. Right now he's a top 25-30 all time....no rings, doesn't dominate the offensive side of the game. I don't even get how some have him above people like Moses Malone at this point.

Swashcuff
09-30-2012, 01:23 PM
wow over rated..top 5?? no way ever. He doesn't dominate and win games like other bigs of all time, not even close. Right now he's a top 25-30 all time....no rings, doesn't dominate the offensive side of the game. I don't even get how some have him above people like Moses Malone at this point.

Could you name 25 Cs better than Dwight Howard.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-30-2012, 01:37 PM

of course not above Moses malone. lol moses malone is top 10. dwight isnt top 15. id say top 20 tho because he wasnt as if hes useless for his years in the nba lol

a monster defensively and boards.
offensively not so much, ESPECIALLY with the matchups he is faced against. thats the big variable people have to remember.

hence imo, hes top 20. not top 15 yet, but hes on track to hit top 15 and top 10 with an improved offensive game and a few dpoy awards.

AWC713
09-30-2012, 02:22 PM
this is a joke. hed be average in the 90s. theres just no competition at the center position nowadays. shaq, hakee, robinson wouldve eaten him up. even physical guys like oakley couldve given him problems. heck, omer asik gives him problems.

JordansBulls
10-01-2012, 09:03 AM
this is a joke. Hed be average in the 90s. Theres just no competition at the center position nowadays. Shaq, hakee, robinson wouldve eaten him up. Even physical guys like oakley couldve given him problems. Heck, omer asik gives him problems.

oh

xcrisisx
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd say top 20 overall
But realy he doesn't nearly dominate enough considering there are maybe 2 people that can defend him physically 1 on 1...
If we're only talking about defence he'd be somewhere late top 10 all time, but he's just an athletic freak of nature the way is see it... no post moves unless you call that forced up running hook a move.
besides, he's not a leader and will never be one, and he doesn't play tough.

THE MTL
10-01-2012, 10:01 AM

You are getting clouded by the championship ring potential, but Howard (with his current skill set) will NEVER EVER be a top 8 NBA center. Sure, he might win more, but he doesnt have the skills of guys like Patrick Ewing. And had Howard stayed in Orlando, we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

uprightciti
10-01-2012, 10:19 AM
he is a dick

b@llhog24
10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
You are getting clouded by the championship ring potential,

Nope. I'm not the kind of guy who puts an immense stock into rings but I'll admit if he gets at least 2 the general consensus will agree with what I intially thought that Dwight barring injury will be a top 8 center.

but Howard (with his current skill set) will NEVER EVER be a top 8 NBA center.

Shaq didn't have a lot of skill either, I fail to see your point.

Sure, he might win more, but he doesnt have the skills of guys like Patrick Ewing. And had Howard stayed in Orlando, we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

Dwights best years statistically are on par with Ewing and he's a better defender than Ewing, factoring that he rarely misses games (here's to hoping that back injury doesn't screw him for life) and his tireless work ethic, he gets the nod imo.

JasonJohnHorn
10-01-2012, 11:42 AM

He will be... you have to be retired 7 seasons before you are eligible. His last season was 09, so he won't be eligible until 2016.

JasonJohnHorn
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
He will be top twenty by the time he retires, depending on how many chips he wins. If his game stays where it is, he likely won't crack the top ten, but if he works on his offensive game then he can crack the top ten for sure. He's got to learn how to pass the ball without turning the fawking thing over though.

Heatcheck
10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Its hard to think someone so dominant defensively, isnt top 20 at least. This mans contributions go way beyond stats. He made one of the worst defensive rosters in the league (richardson, Turkoglu, Nelson) a top 3 defense year in and year out, by himself. thats pretty amazing, and no one has ever shut down pick and rolls as effectively as howard. I guess his main setback compared to the rest is his weight, he's kind of light in the ***.

mightybosstone
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Here's my top 11, basically guys who I would without a doubt put ahead of Dwight:

1. Kareem
2. Hakeem
3. Shaq
4. Russell
5. Wilt
6. Moses
7. Robinson
8. Reed
9. Walton
10. Ewing
11. Mourning

(Note that I kept Mikan off the list. I don't think a player who played well before the shot clock era and only played seven seasons should be considered in a list like this.)

I think you could make a case for guys like Mutombo, Thurmond and Ben Wallace, but the difference between those top 11 and these guys are that the top 11 guys were dominant on both ends of the floor. I think if Dwight's career ended right now, he's probably already ahead of those defensive guys, probably in that 12th slot (unless there's someone I'm forgetting).

However, if Dwight continues to play at this level for several seasons and somehow wins a ring, I could see him climbing into at least the top 10. I don't think there's a chance in hell that he touches the top five, but it's possible he could climb into the discussion of being as good as Moses and Robinson if he could win a title. The difference is that that those two guys both won MVPs and titles. I don't think Dwight will ever win an MVP. Certainly not on that current Lakers team.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that after his career is over, he'll land somewhere in the 8-10 range. He's the most dominant center in an era lacking dominant centers and he's been a great playoff competitor, but he'll never win an MVP and he likely won't win multiple titles.

mightybosstone
10-01-2012, 01:08 PM
I think that you guys who are talking about Dwight "possibly" being in the top 20 by the end of his career are being completely ridiculous. If you honestly think that, ask yourself this question: How many players do you have listed ahead of Dwight were honestly top five players in the league for an extended period of time? Because Dwight has been top five for probably five years now. That alone should ALREADY easily have him in the top 20.

mightybosstone
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
You are getting clouded by the championship ring potential, but Howard (with his current skill set) will NEVER EVER be a top 8 NBA center. Sure, he might win more, but he doesnt have the skills of guys like Patrick Ewing. And had Howard stayed in Orlando, we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

I saw this and thought it was an interesting point, but I'd like to counter with something. Yes, Ewing had more offensive talent than Dwight has and could score in more ways. HOWEVER, Dwight is an athletic freak who uses his strength to score at a more efficient rate than Ewing ever did.

I think their defensive impact is comparable, but one big argument I will always make against Ewing is that he completely folded under pressure in the playoffs. He got completely dominated by Hakeem in 94 and when you compare his playoff numbers to Dwight's, Howard wins by a landslide.

The only reason I have Ewing ahead of Dwight at this point is longevity and offensive skill. But if Dwight continues on his current pace, I'd easily put him ahead of Patrick.

Sinattle
10-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Right behind Yao Ming

JordansBulls
10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Right behind Yao Ming

This is a joke right?

Jroz
10-04-2012, 12:36 PM
if on Shaq's list he is right below Darko

Supreme LA
10-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Can't rank Dwight overall just yet. I do know he is one of greatest defensive Centers this league has ever seen already though. I hope nobody tries to argue that.

D12 fan
10-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Can't rank Dwight overall just yet. I do know he is one of greatest defensive Centers this league has ever seen already though. I hope nobody tries to argue that.

Agree:clap:

Raph12
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Olajuwon, DRob, Russell and Moses are the only guys I'd definitely put ahead of him... He's right there with guys like Reed, Ewing and Zo.

Chronz
10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Olajuwon, DRob, Russell and Moses are the only guys I'd definitely put ahead of him... He's right there with guys like Reed, Ewing and Zo.
Wondering when you were gonna show up round here.

I have taken a new stance on Reed. Before I would have had him on the untouchable list but I cant deny that there is real debate going on between he and Ewing for the best Knick Center of all time. I find the comparison laughable but if many fans see it differently then I see no argument for Reed vs Dwight if hes not even clearly better than Ewing, the way Dwight will be perceived (give it a few years).

Raph12
10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Wondering when you were gonna show up round here.

I have taken a new stance on Reed. Before I would have had him on the untouchable list but I cant deny that there is real debate going on between he and Ewing for the best Knick Center of all time. I find the comparison laughable but if many fans see it differently then I see no argument for Reed vs Dwight if hes not even clearly better than Ewing, the way Dwight will be perceived (give it a few years).

Yeah sorry, got that whole law school gig to deal with, been kind of busy lol... I actually got Dwight above all those guys (Reed, Ewing and Zo) and I think when it's said and done, he'll finish ahead of Moses as well (tall task though).

I just figured that there would be a lot of backlash, which I wouldn't have the time to debate, so I just went the easy way out and said Dwight's on that level.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Bill Russell is overrated to hell most overrated player ever who u never saw play! Sure Dwight may never rank higher then Russell but that's because of championships

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-04-2012, 06:44 PM
He'll finish top 10 possibly top 7

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Its hard to think someone so dominant defensively, isnt top 20 at least. This mans contributions go way beyond stats. He made one of the worst defensive rosters in the league (richardson, Turkoglu, Nelson) a top 3 defense year in and year out, by himself. thats pretty amazing, and no one has ever shut down pick and rolls as effectively as howard. I guess his main setback compared to the rest is his weight, he's kind of light in the ***.

:clap:

People just hate him now cuz he's a laker

b@llhog24
10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Bill Russell is overrated to hell most overrated player ever who u never saw play! Sure Dwight may never rank higher then Russell but that's because of championships

You rank West ahead of Wade and I'm almost certain you never saw West play.

He'll finish top 10 possibly top 7

What does your top 10 C list look like?

No people hated Dwight cause of the Dwightmare in Orlando, being a Laker just was the cherry on top. :)

PHX2daDEATH
10-04-2012, 08:26 PM
No Way Dwight gets top 5 after he's done..top ten maybe but no way he ends up better then Shaq, Kareem, Bill or Hakeem

18 Points, 13 Rebounds, 2.1 blocks..Dwight
23 Points, 11 Rebounds, 2.3 blocks-Shaq
24.5 PPG, 11 RPG, 2.6. Blocks-KAJ
39 PPG, 22RPG, 8 or 10 blocks pg-Wilt.
22 PPG, 11.1 RPG, 3.1 Bpg-Hakeem
and Bill Russell doesn't need to stats to stake his claim

..Fact is Dwight is going to have to develop serious offensive game while he's a Laker to even think about sliding into this list....i mean if the Lakers win a title he's going to have to channel Olajuwon 94-95; and just DOMINATE, and now he has the pieces around him to make no excuses..the perfect wing in Kobe and the perfect point guard in Nash...

Sssmush
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Centers

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Hakeem
Shaq
D.Robinson
P.Ewing
W.Reed
Bill Walton
Moses Malone
Mikan
Cowens
Sabonis
Thurmond
Parish
Brad Daugherty
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
McAdoo
Gilmore
Spencer Haywood
Unseld
Lanier
Ben Wallace
M.Eaton

Talent and ability wise, he's clearly better than all the one's listed below Shaq.

In terms of career accomplishments, that is something different at this point.

JordansBulls
10-04-2012, 09:39 PM

People hated him before that.