PDA

View Full Version : 90s Redraft FINALS: 1. Wollongong vs 2. Bristol

NYKalltheway
08-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Players judged in their primes, not how they performed in the 90s. This is the Finals matchup. Thanks everyone for participating in any way.

Wollongong

PG: Derek Fisher/Penny Hardaway/Alvin Williams
SG: Michael Jordan/Tyrone Corbin
SF: Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway/Keith Van Horn/Devean George
PF: Rasheed Wallace/Thurl Bailey
C: Ben Wallace/Rasho Nesterovic

First, we like to congratulate our opponent Jets012 for making the finals in pretty much his first game which is big accomplishment in itself. You've built a very nice team but sadly I don't htink its good enough to beat us in a series. I think this series will legitimately end up in a sweep or 5 games at worst.

We like to start of with the PG matchup of
Derek Fisher/ Penny Hardaway vs Andre Miller/Johnny Moore- This is a nice advantage for Wollongong because Andre Miller and Fisher basically negate each other one doesn't have a significant advantage over the other because their primary duties on offense will be to dump the ball in or to play off the ball and knock down open shots.

Derek Fisher has the big game experience and the big game shooting and come playoff time is really hard to stop, whereas Andre Miller hasn't experienced big game playing and in their head to head matchups Andre is averaging a whopping 27% from the 3 point line, whereas D-fish averages 36%..

This is a very crucial stat because when you have a player such as Shaq who can demand the double team not having a effective 3 point shooter is really a killer.

Michael Jordan vs Jerome Kersey- This matchup will be the biggest demolishment ever seen on earth. Not much to be said here but these stats alone should tell you everything you need to know.

In the playoffs when they've played each other these are the head to head stats and yes folks its actually true, Kersey got absolutely demolished badly..

MJ- 35.8 PPG, 6.5 AST, 4.8 Rebs, 53% from field, 43% from the 3 point line with an average of 5 3's a game. Simply disgusting..

Kerseys- 14.8 PPG, 3.3 AST, 8.7 Rebs, 48% from field. No 3 points attempted..

Yes folks the back court is unable to knock down a 3 point shot if their life depended on it and with Shaq on their team that is A FAIL...

If he of course wants to put Shawn Marion on MJ and slide Kersey on Penny who's playing SF, then here are their H2H numbers.

Penny- 17 PPG, 5.8 AST, 6.6 Rebs, 2.5 Steals, 44%
Kersey- 4PPG, 1 Ast, 4.1 Rebs, 30% from the field..

So Kersey would get eaten there too. Kersey is just going to be his demise defensively and would be hard for him to keep up..

Now lets get to the goodies..
Ben Wallace/ Rasheed Wallace/Rasho Nesterovic vs Shaq

One of the best centers of all time against one of the best defensive centers of all time. Unlike many of the teams Bristol has faced we have an answer for the big cactus.

When the Pistons were developing that dynasty the best big man they had to face during those times was Shaquille O'neal. Not to mention Big Ben's Pistons defeated Shaq's stacked Lakers to win the title and we have no worries about Shaq, as even if we double team him he has no good shooters surrounding him at all to kill us for doubling shaq..

All in all we see no possible way for Bristol to even win a game against us because they don't have the shooters that will kill us because from 1-4 their shooters are pretty horrible. So our game plan on defense is simple let Big Ben handle Shaq alone or we can just go for the kill and double Shaq which would put Bristol in a hard predicament because they have no way of countering that.

On offense its simple, MJ 24/7 because they have no answer for him and if they want to double MJ then we beg them to because Sheed, Penny and D-Fish all will kill you from the 3 point line by stretching the floor, which also opens up such big space for MJ to attack the hoop with.

Bristol

Starting Lineup:

PG: Andre Miller
SG: Jerome Kersey
SF: Shawn Marion
PF: Cliff Robinson
C: Shaquille O'Neal
Bench:

PG: Johnny Moore
SG: Jason Terry
SF: Eddie Johnson
PF: Charles Smith
C: Michael Cage
SG: Dee Brown
SF: Todd Day

Offensive Philosophy:

Our offense was built strictly around Shaquille O誰eal. We believe we will have success on offense because we have a perfect balance of offense in the post and around the perimeter. We believe that we really do not have any weaknesses on offense. Everyone knows our dominate Shaquille O誰eal can be if he gets the ball. O誰eal during his prime could easily put up 27-29 points a night. We believe that with our offense he could even put up more. We added Andre Miller who was a terrific passer in his prime. Miller once led the league in Assists with 11 per game. We believe that if you gave him a guy like Shaq in a fast pace offense, Miller could easily do that again. We decided to pair Shaq up down low with Clifford Robinson. We believe the two of them together is a PERFECT fit. Robinson gives us a guy who can spread the floor and knock down both a 15 foot jump shot and a 3 pointer. Robinson was practically an earlier version of Dirk Nowitzki. He was a dynamic 3 point shooter can could score in a number of ways. This will allow Shaquille O誰eal to have the paint wide open to himself. With our fast pace offense, our other two starters, Jerome Kersey and Shawn Marion will put up huge numbers. They were both hustle players who could get up the court quickly. Marion in his prime could put up 21 points a night in the Suns fast pace offense. Kersey was also a strong scorer averaging 19 points per game during one season. We will be a strong team on the offensive glass with O誰eal, Marion痴 and Kersey痴 rebounding abilities.

Due to the fact that we do not have a strong outside shooting starting team, we added two prolific scorers as our 6th and 7th men. Both Eddie Johnson and Jason Terry have won 6th man of the year awards and have been instant threats offensively. With Johnny Moore being a terrific pass first point guard in his prime, we believe with this type of scoring from our bench, it will be hard to stop us.

Defensive Philosophy:

We believe we might just have the strongest defense in this whole game. Our frontcourt defense is scary. 3 out of our 5 starters have been named to multiple NBA defensive of teams. In his prime, O誰eal was one of the best defending Centers the NBA has ever seen. He could easily block 3 shots a game and could over power guys defensively in the post. Clifford Robinson throughout his whole career was a very underrated defender. Robinson was a good defender in both the post but on the perimeter as well. He was quick enough to guard even some Small Forwards and was good at clogging the lanes with his long arms and stealing passes. Shawn Marion was just a defensive stud. He could defend most PFs and most Guards. He flirted around 2 steals and 2 blocks a game and put up huge Defensive numbers in both Win Shares and Rating. Andre Miller was another solid defender. He was able to cover most PGs so we never will get abused by any star point guard. Finally like Marion, Kersey was a hustler. He wasn稚 the best defender skill wised, but his hustle and heart far made up for that. He could defend both SGs and SFs and was quick enough to get steals and make up if someone drove on him.

On our bench we also added guys like Johnny Moore who were dynamic stealers. Moore flirted with 3 SPG numerous times in his career. We also have Charles Smith and Michael Cage down low who were great defenders as well in their prime. Bottom line is we believe no team will be able to outscore us

Matchup:

I believe we match up well with Wollongong. Voters have to ask them self this question, how good of a fit is MJ and Penny? There is no way in my opinion, that that duo is better than a MJ and Pippen duo. Penny and MJ both have similar styles that would not fit together. Penny is playing out of position. He would almost be better suited as a PG in their system than a SF.

We are changing our starting line up a bit for this matchup. Instead of Jeremy Kerley as our starting SG, we are putting Eddie Johnson into the starting lineup. Eddie Johnson will add balance to our starting lineup. He is a nice fit alongside a pass first point guard in Miller and a defensive beast in Marion. Our starting lineup will now be able to spread the floor, giving Shaq the ability to do his thing.

Miller in his prime would have a field day on Derek Fisher.

Shawn Marion, who was won of the best perimeter defenders in the 90s, would at least be able to slow down Michael Jordan a bit. I know people would think that Ben Wallace would shut down Shaq, but in their Head to Head Matchups, that wasn't the case. Shaq shut down Wallace.

View Here:
http://bkref.com/tiny/kKX3x

Cliff Robinson and Rasheed Wallace is a wash due to their similar playing styles.

I believe I have the advantage at PG, SF, Center, and Bench. Penny just doesn't fit well as a SF. I also think my bench is stronger with a spark plug in Kersey and a 6th man of the year in Terry coming off of it.

Good luck to both teams

juster1028
08-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I dont see Bristol stopping MJ at all but I do see shaq getting slowed down.

Swashcuff
08-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Read the write ups and I'm going with Bristol. I like their team on both ends of the floor and think they all fit well together.

DreamShaker
08-18-2012, 02:18 AM
Loved both of the write ups. Both teams make compelling cases. The visual in my mind, though, was watching Sheed and Big Ben give Shaq fits back in the day. They threw him off his game. He still put up numbers, but it was fool's gold. Due to that, and the fact that MJ will not be slowed down by Marion IMO, Ill go with Wollongong, but not in a sweep, lol.

Gritz
08-18-2012, 02:38 AM
lolshutout

MintBerryCrunch
08-18-2012, 02:52 AM
You really think there's a chance of a competition when one team has MJ? Everyone here has a man crush on the dude

LakersMaster24
08-18-2012, 03:24 AM
I voted for Wollolong not because of MJ however, but the 2 Wallace's. Bristol is planning to play the whole offense through Shaq, but I think Ben Wallace and Rasheed will be able to contain him.

theheatles
08-18-2012, 12:32 PM
no1 can stop prime shaq, ben wallace got shaq when he was at his fattest in LA, ben wouldnt stand a chance vs prime shaq but marion could contain mj

sheed got to see prime shaq and he was no match

Swashcuff
08-18-2012, 12:50 PM
no1 can stop prime shaq, ben wallace got shaq when he was at his fattest in LA, ben wouldnt stand a chance vs prime shaq but marion could contain mj

sheed got to see prime shaq and he was no match

:laugh2:

DR_1
08-18-2012, 01:13 PM
It's close, really close, but I can't see MJ letting his team lose. Wollongong in 7.

aussie
08-19-2012, 06:30 AM
bump

Heediot
08-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Wollong.

Silent
08-19-2012, 08:52 AM
When the hell did Tyrone Corbin play sg? he has no handles ok back to the subject

I have to go with Bristol Miller Marion And Shaq is a great combo

Silent
08-19-2012, 08:52 AM
When the hell did Tyrone Corbin play sg? he has no handles ok back to the subject

I have to go with Bristol Miller Marion And Shaq is a great combo

KnicksorBust
08-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Bristol - "Defensive Philosophy:

We believe we might just have the strongest defense in this whole game"

No one in that starting 5 has ever even made an all-defensive 1st team but this is the best defense in the redraft? I'd have to re-check the rosters but this is probably not even in the top 10 defensive team. Wollongong alone has two DPOY and Sheed. Personally I've thought the Bristol team was a bad fit the whole redraft (uptempo players mixed with half-court players) but the power of Shaq carried them.

Congrats to Wollongong.

JordansBulls
08-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Where did you get these names from?

greg_ory_2005
08-19-2012, 04:42 PM
The other team would definitely put up a fight, but it's kinda hard to vote against Jordan.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-21-2012, 01:48 AM
bump bump bump

Tmath
08-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Where did you get these names from?

I've been to Wollongong, it's in Australia.

NYKalltheway
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Bristol - "Defensive Philosophy:

We believe we might just have the strongest defense in this whole game"

No one in that starting 5 has ever even made an all-defensive 1st team but this is the best defense in the redraft? I'd have to re-check the rosters but this is probably not even in the top 10 defensive team. Wollongong alone has two DPOY and Sheed. Personally I've thought the Bristol team was a bad fit the whole redraft (uptempo players mixed with half-court players) but the power of Shaq carried them.

Congrats to Wollongong.
Strongest defense = Shanghai
too bad offense was severely underrated because folks dont understand what a team is

xxplayerxx23
08-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Its a lot closer then the poll says. MJ is hard to vote against but I think people are underrating Bristol. With that being said I wentWollongong in 6 or 7.

Eagles4Lyfe
08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I dunno where people are getting Bristol from they have no shooters surrounding Shaq, wth are they going to do to space the floor for him with no shooting in the starting five??

NYKalltheway
08-22-2012, 08:27 AM
let's see if the gap can close

xxplayerxx23
08-22-2012, 01:26 PM
let's see if the gap can close

:laugh: Maybe within 27 or so.

Killerjug
08-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Strongest defense = Shanghai
too bad offense was severely underrated because folks dont understand what a team is

Hey now I had a good team :)

Eagles4Lyfe
08-22-2012, 03:01 PM
That I agree with, sadly we couldn't face of in the finals :(

j-bay
08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Loved both of the write ups. Both teams make compelling cases. The visual in my mind, though, was watching Sheed and Big Ben give Shaq fits back in the day. They threw him off his game. He still put up numbers, but it was fool's gold. Due to that, and the fact that MJ will not be slowed down by Marion IMO, Ill go with Wollongong, but not in a sweep, lol.

Its true. Even Michael Jordan past his prime was able to beat Marion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjo06p5zchg&feature=related

Eagles4Lyfe
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
bump cmon lets go to 50