PDA

View Full Version : Rob Murphy turns down Magic to stay at Eastern Michigan

Giannis94
08-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Just when you thought the D12 trade was bad enough,think again.
Link (http://www.emueagles.com/news/2012/8/16/MBB_0816124136.aspx)

YPSILANTI, Mich. (EMUEagles.com) — Eastern Michigan University Athletic Director Dr. Derrick Gragg confirmed Thursday, Aug. 16, that Rob Murphy will remain as head coach of the men's basketball team. The 2011-12 Mid-American Conference's Coach of the Year reaffirmed his commitment to the student-athletes and the program.

“We are certainly pleased with Coach Murphy's decision to continue to lead our men's basketball program into the future,” Gragg said. "We look forward to an exciting basketball season that continues the momentum we captured this past year.”

"I would like to end the speculation about my leaving Eastern Michigan University," said Murphy. "I am pleased to confirm that I am remaining at EMU as the head coach of the men's basketball program. Our Athletic Director, Dr. Derrick Gragg, has worked diligently with me to insure that we are continuing on the path of building a strong foundation for our basketball program. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity which EMU has provided me and my family and very appreciative of the unwavering support of our Board of Regents, students, fans and community. I am eager to return the focus of discussion to the tasks at hand: graduating our student-athletes, building our basketball program and representing the EMU community in a manner which will evoke both pride and passion for our university. Our team and coaching staff are tirelessly preparing to begin the academic year along with the coming basketball season. Moving forward this will be our focus."

"It is true that I had an opportunity to join the Orlando Magic," Murphy continued. "Representatives of the Magic were both professional in their approach and respectful of our situation at EMU. I am very appreciative of the opportunity to have spoken with them and would like to publicly thank them for their professionalism and interest. They have a great franchise with a tremendous staff in place, and I wish them nothing but the best."

"Most importantly, I must thank my staff and players during this time," added Murphy. "Despite several inaccurate media reports our student-athletes have remained focused and positive. They have exhibited a maturity that their parents, EMU and the community should be proud of. My staff has continued to exhibit an unwavering work ethic, professionalism and commitment to EMU. To each of them, I say "Thank You". Moving forward, I would ask that we all return our attention to the future. There is much to be excited about as we begin this upcoming school year."

"When you have success in athletics, like Rob Murphy had in his very first season as the men's basketball coach, you gain national attention and sometimes there are other job opportunities presented to you," Gragg added. "After discussing the situation with Rob, we both felt that he could continue to grow and build the EMU program and this was not the right time to move on in his professional career."

Murphy was named the head coach of the EMU men's basketball program, April 21, 2011, and led the 2011-12 Eagles, to the MAC West Division championship with a 9-7 record. That title was EMU's first-ever West Division championship. He was also named the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Co-Coach of the Year for District 14 in Division I. He shared the NABC award with University of Akron Head Coach Keith Dambrot, a former assistant men's basketball coach at EMU from 1986-89.

Murphy was one of just four MAC coaches to lead his team to a division title in his first year. The MAC split into divisions beginning with the 1997-98 campaign. The other coaches to accomplish the feat in their first season include: Kent State's Heath (2001-02), Kent State's Jim Christian (2002-03) and Western Michigan's Steve Hawkins (2003-04).

Murphy joined the EMU men's basketball program after spending the previous seven years as an assistant coach at Syracuse University

Murphy is familiar with the state of Michigan after spending six years coaching in the Detroit Public School League (1996-2002), three as the head boys basketball coach at Detroit Crockett Technical High School. He led Crockett to the Class B State Championship in 2000-01.

A 1996 graduate of Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio, Murphy was a two-year starter on the basketball team and the team's Defensive Player of the Year as a senior.

After graduating from Central State, Murphy returned to his hometown of Detroit to begin his coaching career at Detroit Central High School as the associate head coach in 1996-98. Central won the state Class A championship in 1997-98 after finishing runner-up in 1996-97.

Murphy then moved over to become the head boys basketball coach at Crockett H.S. and after his first team posted a 5-13 mark, the Rockets improved to win three consecutive Class B District titles and captured the state championship in 2000-01. His Crockett teams had a 64-27 record and he was named All-Metro Coach of the Year by the Detroit Free Press in 2000-01.

From Crockett, Murphy joined the Kent State University staff for two seasons, 2002-03 and 2003-04, and the teams turned in back-to-back 22-9 seasons on the way to two Mid-American Conference East Division crowns. Both teams were invited to the National Invitation Tournament (NIT).

After that successful two-year stint as an assistant for the Golden Flashes, Murphy joined Head Coach Jim Boeheim's Syracuse University men's basketball program as an assistant. During his seven years on the staff, the Orange recorded a 180-67 overall record and played in the post season every year, with five NCAA appearances and two NIT stops.

A native of Detroit, Murphy attended Mumford High School where he graduated in 1991 after lettering in both football and basketball, earning All-State honors in football.

He and his wife. TeNesha, have one son, Robert II and a daughter, Ryann