PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Strategy

eternal slumber
08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
we all know that drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan in the '84 draft was the single most colossal blunder in the history of basketball.

we also all know that Jordan was the better prospect and talent compared to Bowie. Bowie had a well documented leg injury in his days in Kentucky but seems healed completely when he played his senior year.

eventhough with some question marks, Portland still drafted Bowie ahead of Jordan because at that time, it made sense drafting Sam Bowie because it addressed Portland's need for a center. also, they had Drexler playing for the Blazers that time.

Detroit also did the same thing in the 2003 draft by selecting Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony and we all know how that ended up. they didn't draft Anthony due to a young Tayshaun Prince plays the same position as Carmelo Anthony.

if you could be a NBA GM, what will you look for into entering a draft, needs or talent?

discuss

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
you gotta take BPA everytime even if you have a player at a certain position you still take bpa because they can make an impact off the bench

PocketKings
08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
BFH option.

Go with the player with the best facial hair. Unibrows included.

eternal slumber
08-17-2012, 11:44 AM
you gotta take BPA everytime even if you have a player at a certain position you still take bpa because they can make an impact off the bench

even if a certain needs is just to obvious to pass over? the Blazers back then was an upcoming team, adding a definite needs as a center would had make them a very good team.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-17-2012, 11:53 AM
even if a certain needs is just to obvious to pass over? the Blazers back then was an upcoming team, adding a definite needs as a center would had make them a very good team.

yeah i understand what your saying but there are alot more teams that get bad picks or players that are out of the league in a few years by drafting for need if you take BPA like jordan over bowie or anthony over darko you at worst get a bench/rotational player....im sure the blazers would have found a way to make a drexler/jordan starting line up on the other hand the pistons would have seen in time that melo was and is better than prince and could have moved prince for the need of a big....

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
or even POR could have ended up trading drexler for their big down the road

DreamShaker
08-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Hindsight is 20/20. The Blazers were in an awkward position with Drexler. At that time, big men were where you hung your hat. Building your team around two wing players was not really done, until AFTER Jordan and Pippen made it look possible even without a superstar big man. Nowadays, there is no excuse. Gotta take best available, as you can build your team around any position.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
trade the pick for a player you already know is good.
if not draft for best player, see how it rolls or if you current player or draftee can switch to other position, and if not, trade one of them along the way.

anyway, blazers could have drafted barkley.
and i think if they drafted jordan either him or drexler would have ended up being a bust due to being benched too much time on their developing years.

maddBat
08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
i guess thats what the twolves have been doing. drafting best player available.. with all them pgs lol

Cal827
08-17-2012, 12:07 PM
BPA. Even if it's at a position where you are already strong. If you worry so much about the logjam at the position where you pick, you could always trade a guy where there's a log jam for more prospects or to fill the position of need.

For example, I think the Raptors drafted out position/trying to Lure Nash when they picked Ross over Drummond. I wish they drafted Drummond because although we have JV set as our future center, I'm sure there were many other teams interested in Drummond, and we could have dealt him out for another need (E.g. Houston send Lowry + 12th for Drummond.... we probably could have freaking got Ross at that Pick lol)

thekmp211
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
trade the pick for a player you already know is good.
if not draft for best player, see how it rolls or if you current player or draftee can switch to other position, and if not, trade one of them along the way.

anyway, blazers could have drafted barkley.
and i think if they drafted jordan either him or drexler would have ended up being a bust due to being benched too much time on their developing years.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

to answer the question, i'd say if there is a player who is clearly better than the rest available you should probably go for him. worst case, he gains value and becomes a nice trade chip. best case he finds a way to play with whoever is there already.

seldom has the best fit reach really worked out. sometimes the right fit and the best talent are the same, but it's not that often.

Kyben36
08-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Its am mix IMO, you cant just draft tallent at PG with the first pick if you have CP3 at PG already, it doesnt make sense, you dont need a top draft pick backing up your team. he wont get the time he needs to play or develop.

IMO, you have to take the Best player available but there also has to be room for him on the team. you have to be able to make sure he can get minutes. especaily for top picks.

eternal slumber
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
yeah i understand what your saying but there are alot more teams that get bad picks or players that are out of the league in a few years by drafting for need if you take BPA like jordan over bowie or anthony over darko you at worst get a bench/rotational player....im sure the blazers would have found a way to make a drexler/jordan starting line up on the other hand the pistons would have seen in time that melo was and is better than prince and could have moved prince for the need of a big....

but if their both playing the same position, wouldn't each other playing together hinders their growth and development as a player?

also, let's say both players develop pretty well and you need to ship one of them, wouldn't you also trade for your teams needs rather than what you already have?

why don't you just do it from the start and draft for what you need, right?

eternal slumber
08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
i guess thats what the twolves have been doing. drafting best player available.. with all them pgs lol

Daryl Morey also agrees with this.

Stinkyoutsider
08-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I always would draft for potential and not need. If you're in the situation where you have an all star playing the same position as the best available player you want to draft, I trade down for picks (either the same year's picks or future picks) and maybe even a rotation guy if possible.

If I do have 2 players like Jordan and Drexler on the same team, I run them both and see who's more versatile. If neither is more versatile, I trade one after the first season is over for future picks.

Taking players by need isn't a bad thing but you may find yourself reaching more often than taking the best player available...

gilly
08-17-2012, 03:24 PM
I take the BPA IF he is head and shoulders above other players in positions of need.