PDA

View Full Version : Where does Brandon Roy's peak rank him all time?

BranWingss
08-17-2012, 02:59 AM
At SGs. If we're just talking peaks, where does he rank all-time? Chronz's thread had me thinking this. Roy's peak was truly amazing, and it was sad that it ended so fast.

fruitchops
08-17-2012, 03:03 AM
hasn't hit his peak.. look for him to put up jordanesque numbers on the wolves

Hellcrooner
08-17-2012, 03:17 AM
150-200 al time?

LAKERS 24/7
08-17-2012, 03:19 AM
We'll never know

naps
08-17-2012, 03:28 AM
He never reached his peak, not even got close to his potential peak.

BranWingss
08-17-2012, 03:33 AM
He never reached his peak, not even got close to his potential peak.

Let me re-word this question then. At Brandon Roy's best (which was a few years ago), where does that play/level have him at all-time for SGs?

b@llhog24
08-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Probably top 10-15. Roy's 08-09 campaign was pretty special imo. Good D, uber-efficient offensive game, and was clutch as **** that year. Topped it off by lighting up one of the better defensive perimeter tandem of the past decade in Battier and Artest. So much so until Artest said he was the best player in the game. And now I'm sad. :sigh:

fruitchops
08-17-2012, 04:25 AM
10-15 of all time????? woah no

b@llhog24
08-17-2012, 04:44 AM
10-15 of all time????? woah no
Assuming you're not repeating players prime seasons then yea it has a decent case.

COOLbeans
08-17-2012, 04:47 AM
Nobody will know since he never reached his peak. He was a very good player and that's it. We can't rank him yet..

raiderposting
08-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Assuming you're not repeating players prime seasons then yea it has a decent case.

roys best season was 22.6 ppg, 5.1 apg, 4.7 rpg while shooting 48 percent from the field 38 from 3, with 1 steal. how the HELL is that a top 10-15 season of all time?

DListheTRUTH
08-17-2012, 05:25 AM
roys best season was 22.6 ppg, 5.1 apg, 4.7 rpg while shooting 48 percent from the field 38 from 3, with 1 steal. how the HELL is that a top 10-15 season of all time?

That's not the question. He's not talking about seasons, he's saying if you were to take every SG of all time in their prime and basically pick them up, where would he go/rank? But to answer OP's question, I'd say roughly 20-30 range. I think I could name 20 SGs that were/are better in their prime.

BranWingss
08-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Bingo.

clifborder4fm
08-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Artest said Roy was one of the hardest guys for him to defend ever and kobe even said Roy could have been one of the best ever which I totally agree with.. after seeing him orchestrate that comeback against dallas in the playoffs... scary

fadahway
08-17-2012, 08:10 AM
For not giving up top 5.!! Odom still leads

b@llhog24
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Its funny because you actually think you have a point. :pity:

StarvingKnick22
08-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Mmmm I was thinking 700-655 all time...

BobbyHillSwag
08-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Its funny because you actually think you have a point. :pity:

agreed, stats dont even come close to telling the whole story. Roy was amazing that season.

Vinylman
08-17-2012, 11:15 AM
30th at best if you cherry pick his best year

PSDers crack me up because they think the NBA started like 15-20 years ago...

There have been a ton of better players at the SG position

Hellcrooner
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Sg ( or COmbo guards, or swinger forwards) at least Equal or Better than roy Just from the top of my head ( and my 50s/60s knowledge is limited) and im sure forgetting some.

West,Goodrich,Wilkes,Scott, E Jones, Kobe.
Walter Davis, Joe Johnson, Whestpal.
Oscar Robertson, MItch Richmond.
ROn Harper, Marques .
Chris Mullins, Rick Barry, Latrell Spreewell, John Starks.
George Gervin, Alvin robertson, Manu Ginobili.
Rolando Blackman, Jamaal Mashburn.
Tracy Mcgrady.
CLyde Drexler, Dratzen Petrovic.
Adrian Dantley, Jeff Hornacek, Pete maravich.
Downtown Fred, Ray Allen, Eddie Johnson, Dale Ellis.
David Thompson, Alex English.
John Havlicek, Reggie Lewis.
Earl Monroe, Bernard King.
Hal Greer, Allen iverson,Doug Collins.
Vince Carter.
Dr J.
Michael Jordan.
Dave Bing, Joe Dumars, Stackhouse.
Reggie Miller [/B
]Moncrief.
[B]Lebron James.
Wade.
Reggie Theus.

So thats 50+ names, and the bolded ones are CLEARLY better than him , thats 26, so he at best is top 30 in sg.

And im forgetting names, sure as hell

Kashmir13579
08-17-2012, 12:07 PM
He had 1 truly great season.

Kashmir13579
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd this thread would be better suited if the question was asked about T-Mac.

Longhornfan1234
08-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Roy would have been better than Wade, easily.

Gritz
08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
lol wth

BobbyHillSwag
08-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Roy, at his best, was better than Wade, easily.

This

valade16
08-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Sg ( or COmbo guards, or swinger forwards) at least Equal or Better than roy Just from the top of my head ( and my 50s/60s knowledge is limited) and im sure forgetting some.

West
Goodrich
B]Wilkes[/B]
Scott
E Jones
Kobe
Walter Davis
Joe Johnson
Whestpal
Oscar Robertson
Mitch Richmond
Ron Harper
Chris Mullins
Rick Barry
Latrell Spreewell
John Starks
George Gervin
Alvin robertson
Manu Ginobili
Rolando Blackman
Jamaal Mashburn
Tracy Mcgrady
Clyde Drexler
Dratzen Petrovic
Adrian Dantley
Jeff Hornacek
Pete maravich
Downtown Fred
Ray Allen
Eddie Johnson (both of them)
Dale Ellis
David Thompson
Alex English
John Havlicek
Reggie Lewis
Earl Monroe
Hal Greer
Allen iverson
Doug Collins
Vince Carter
Dr J
Michael Jordan
Dave Bing
Joe Dumars
Stackhouse
Reggie Miller
Moncrief
Wade
Reggie Theus

So thats 50+ names, and the bolded ones are CLEARLY better than him , thats 26, so he at best is top 30 in sg.

There is so much fail in that post.

Sprewell. You actually put Sprewell on the list. :laugh:

All the bold above were not better than Roy in his prime. Period.

Goodrich, Walter Davis, Paul Westphal, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullins, Ron Harper, Downtown Fred, Dale Ellis, David Thompson, and Dave Bing are all debateable and I think Roy is better than most if not all of them.

That means he's at worst around 30th and at best Top 20...

Lastly, WTF were Bernard King and LeBron James doing on your list? They are clearly forwards lol...

So much fail. But seriously, Latrell freakin' Sprewell :laugh:

Hellcrooner
08-17-2012, 01:15 PM
There is so much fail in that post.

Sprewell. You actually put Sprewell on the list. :laugh:

All the bold above were not better than Roy in his prime. Period.

Goodrich, Walter Davis, Paul Westphal, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullins, Ron Harper, Downtown Fred, Dale Ellis, David Thompson, and Dave Bing are all debateable and I think Roy is better than most if not all of them.

That means he's at worst around 30th and at best Top 20...

Lastly, WTF were Bernard King and LeBron James doing on your list? They are clearly forwards lol...

So much fail. But seriously, Latrell freakin' Sprewell :laugh:

Both bernard and lebron have played some sg too ( damm lebron did even play some pg :p)

I woudl take roy over spreewell just because of personality, im no fan of nutcases, but talent wise,its close.

Stinkyoutsider
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Shame to see Roy with his knee problems. At his best, he was near the top or if the best SG in the league at the time. I think if he was healthy, he could be better than Wade. Good defender and his offensive game looked effortless.

valade16
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Both bernard and lebron have played some sg too ( damm lebron did even play some pg :p)

I woudl take roy over spreewell just because of personality, im no fan of nutcases, but talent wise,its close.

I'll grant you, talent-wise it's close. But production-wise Roy was far more efficient with his game.

Kashmir13579
08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
I'll grant you, talent-wise it's close. But production-wise Roy was far more efficient with his game.

But was he the defender that Spree was? I'm legit asking.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
But was he the defender that Spree was? I'm legit asking.

no he was not, but his ability offensively was far superior to anything Spree was capable of.

albertc86
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Can't rank him. He never reached his peak so it's hard to say. Not even top 50...

Chronz
08-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I would have to break down the list extensively but Im pretty sure it ranks higher than most would believe, slow pace and subtle efficiency keep per game averages low, thus his luster shines alil less brightly, still his skill level and overall floor game was elite. He played in the era where all the dominant SG's were starting to decline, I really thought he would carry the torch and keep it going. Regardless, I would put his lone great season (when he DESTROYED Battier/Artest) as one of the top 7 of the 2KERA, regardless of his lack of post season success. Wade, Tmac, Kobe, Manu are the only guys I can think of, maybe VC if you count him as a SG, had better seasons.

Kashmir13579
08-17-2012, 02:34 PM
no he was not, but his ability offensively was far superior to anything Spree was capable of.

No doubt about it.

b@llhog24
08-17-2012, 10:51 PM

West,Goodrich,Wilkes,Scott, E Jones, Kobe.
Walter Davis, Joe Johnson, Whestpal.
Oscar Robertson, MItch Richmond.
ROn Harper, Marques .
Chris Mullins, Rick Barry, Latrell Spreewell, John Starks.
George Gervin, Alvin robertson, Manu Ginobili.
Rolando Blackman, Jamaal Mashburn.
Tracy Mcgrady.
CLyde Drexler, Dratzen Petrovic.
Adrian Dantley, Jeff Hornacek, Pete maravich.
Downtown Fred, Ray Allen, Eddie Johnson, Dale Ellis.
David Thompson, Alex English.
John Havlicek, Reggie Lewis.
Earl Monroe, Bernard King.
Hal Greer, Allen iverson,Doug Collins.
Vince Carter.
Dr J.
Michael Jordan.
Dave Bing, Joe Dumars, Stackhouse.
Reggie Miller [/B
]Moncrief.
[B]Lebron James.
Wade.
Reggie Theus.

Lmao he's either way or arguably better than most of those guys.

If you honestly think Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin have a case then I don't know what to say.

Roy would have been better than Wade, easily.

No he wasn't but he had the potential to be.

Dirk played sg/sf at times in Don Nelson's crazy *** offense, why didn't you include him? :confused: Btw talent is nothing without application, Micheal Beasley has all the talent in the world and look where that got him.

I would have to break down the list extensively but Im pretty sure it ranks higher than most would believe, slow pace and subtle efficiency keep per game averages low, thus his luster shines alil less brightly, still his skill level and overall floor game was elite. He played in the era where all the dominant SG's were starting to decline, I really thought he would carry the torch and keep it going. Regardless, I would put his lone great season (when he DESTROYED Battier/Artest) as one of the top 7 of the 2KERA, regardless of his lack of post season success. Wade, Tmac, Kobe, Manu are the only guys I can think of, maybe VC if you count him as a SG, had better seasons.

+1