PDA

View Full Version : Is all this Miami-Los Angeles talk making the Thunder a sleeper contender?

mrblisterdundee
08-17-2012, 12:47 AM
I've heard a lot of talk lately, and it's almost all been about whether Miami or Los Angeles is better. Where exactly is the Thunder talk? Their biggest weakness is inexperience, which they just mitigated with a first-ever trip to the finals and a first-ever trip to Olympic gold by their entire big three. Not to mention they just added one of the best college big men in the country and are still the deepest team in the league.

PG - Russell Westbrook will terrorize both Miami and Los Angeles more and more. He'll always be five steps ahead of Steve Nash, and Mario Chalmers will just never have the talent to handle him.
SG - James Harden and Thabo Sefolosha are the best-case scenario when looking for two players to guard Kobe Bryant or Dwayne Wade. Not to mention that Wade might be puttering out this season because of a bum leg anyway.
SF - There's no way Ron Artest can guard Kevin Durant, who's shooting is just as effective at putting points up as LeBron James' drives to the hoop. And at 24 by the time the season starts, he hasn't even peaked yet.
PF - Serge Ibaka is the best answer when it comes to who should be guarding LeBron James. Ironically, it would probably be easier for Durant to guard Chris Bosh. Against Los Angeles, Ibaka will be more than enough to keep Pau Gasol busy and away from the hoop.
C - Kendrick Perkins, while not nearly as talented, is about as good as it gets, if you need someone to stand up to Dwight Howard in the paint.
Bench - The Thunder easily have a better bench than Los Angeles or Miami. Don't for a second discount the addition of Jones III. In total, the Thunder have four sizable guys they can legitimately throw at Howard - six they can throw at Gasol. They're also at least three-deep at every position.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-17-2012, 12:54 AM
The Thunder bench is better than the Lakers bench?

Thunder bench: Daequan Cook and James Harden

Lakers bench: Antawn Jamison, Jodie Meeks and Steve Blake

I wouldn't say Thunder bench is better than the Lakers bench (as a unit). It's basically a wash. Harden will basically play starter minutes, putting Thabo on the bench most of the game.

Although Westbrook is hard to guard....guess what, he now has to actually play the other end of the floor as he'll be guarding Steve Nash. This ain't no D-Fish or little ***** Ramon Sessions.

seikou8
08-17-2012, 12:55 AM
the most underated player in nba right now is westbrook people just think he is chucker

Ezio
08-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Ibaka is their best post defender yet you want him to guard Lebron

mrblisterdundee
08-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Ibaka is their best post defender yet you want him to guard Lebron

That's exactly why he should guard James, who's known for scoring in the paint. Ibaka has the best combination of size, speed and defensive prowess to slow LeBron down and make him take lower-percentage shots. He's certainly a better option to guard him than Durant is.

thekmp211
08-17-2012, 01:03 AM
you mean that team that made it to the finals and has two superstar players? no. not quite -sleeper- status.

KB24PG16
08-17-2012, 01:10 AM
no i dont think so

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-17-2012, 01:17 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the trio of Westbrook-Durant-Harden never win a title together. In 2 or 3 yrs, one of them will get traded (Westbrook) or outright leave via free agency (Harden). I'm taking the latter.

elopez24MIAMI
08-17-2012, 01:21 AM
I don't think the Okc is a team you could consider a sleeper considering most people have them ranked either second or third in there power rankings.. I mean Okc just made it to the finals have two top ten players in the nba probably a top two superstar, and I think most people consider both harden and ibaka rising stars hard to consider them sleepers...

And Okc definitely have a better bench then the lakers
Harden/collision/maynor who was hurt most of last year but is a quality player
Vs
Jamison/Meeks/Blake

Not even close Okc by a mile just my opinion though

Losoway
08-17-2012, 01:27 AM
the thunder are actually still better then lakers

Rockwilderz
08-17-2012, 01:29 AM
The whole Thunder fans will hate me for this.

But until that day comes that DURANT becomes the TOP DOG of that team and say this is my team and not share it with Westbrook or James Harden. The Thunder will never win the championship.

He needs to be more Vocal and be the leader of this team. And when I say that.. I don't mean to be the main scorer in the team because we all know that he is the leading scorer in the team.

It's just that a lot of times.. Durant shies away and let Westbrook and Harden run the show. He needs to let those two know that I am the leader in this team.

kjoke
08-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Since when is Jodie Meeks a good bench player? The way I see it he shouldn't be playing anywhere in the post season. Jamison is the Lakers only viable bench player.

OKC definitely has a better bench. So does Miami with Allen, Haslem, Lewis and Cole with a possiblilty Miller comes back.

Raph12
08-17-2012, 01:46 AM
1. I don't see how Perk can guard Dwight, considering they won't be posting up Dwight all-day like the Magic did; the pnr will expose Perk's defficiencies on defense. Plus Dwight put up 22ppg on 57+FG% against Perk-Sheed-KG in 2010 scoring most of his points in the post.

2. Westbrook is a dominant slasher, but Dwight is the best in the league at protecting the paint. WB shoots only 40% against Dwight in his career and he has shot over 50% just twice in his career against Dwight.

3. Harden can't score on Kobe and with Nash running the show, you don't need to iso Kobe nearly as much and if anyone helps it will leave them vulnerable to offensive rebounds courtesy of Dwight and Pau.

If the Lakers are healthy, they're the favs in that series without a doubt; OKC can win, but it'll take a collapse by the Lakers or very strong shooting series for the Thunder to do it.

Kevj77
08-17-2012, 01:54 AM
The whole Thunder fans will hate me for this.

But until that day comes that DURANT becomes the TOP DOG of that team and say this is my team and not share it with Westbrook or James Harden. The Thunder will never win the championship.

He needs to be more Vocal and be the leader of this team. And when I say that.. I don't mean to be the main scorer in the team because we all know that he is the leading scorer in the team.

It's just that a lot of times.. Durant shies away and let Westbrook and Harden run the show. He needs to let those two know that I am the leader in this team.

I agree, but to answer the OP no they aren't a sleeper. They are one of the favorites to win the NBA championship. They are a top 3 team. Bulls would be in the conversation with the Heat, Lakers, OKC and Celtics if they had a healthy Rose, but they don't.

Blue_Ninja
08-17-2012, 01:55 AM
OKC isn't going to win anything until they get a dominate low post player. I've always said it and I'll say it again. They need to get rid of Ibaka, Harden or Perkins for a big.

Hotone1401
08-17-2012, 01:56 AM
I think most basketball fans are just excited at the possibilities of a great Laker run and a date with Miami in the Finals. OKC is only a slight sleeper because they really haven't improved over the offseason to sway people to believe they can beat the Heat who have definitely upgraded with Ray Allen. All I know is, it's gonna be a DAMN GOOD matchup if the Lakers and Heat do meet in te Finals.

elopez24MIAMI
08-17-2012, 02:07 AM
I think most basketball fans are just excited at the possibilities of a great Laker run and a date with Miami in the Finals. OKC is only a slight sleeper because they really haven't improved over the offseason to sway people to believe they can beat the Heat who have definitely upgraded with Ray Allen. All I know is, it's gonna be a DAMN GOOD matchup if the Lakers and Heat do meet in te Finals.

Well said buddy...

Purple&Gold24
08-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Seriously the lakers haven't played one game. The Miami Heat are the tops dog until proven otherwise and the Thunder are the second best team still. Sure my team seems great on paper,but we gotta see them play first and gel together. Laker fans talking crap about our team saying it's ours already are just.....:facepalm:

shep33
08-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Heat and OKC should be favorites

DeyAce
08-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Even if they get past LA, they'll never beat the heat in a 7 game series

elopez24MIAMI
08-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Seriously the lakers haven't played one game. The Miami Heat are the tops dog until proven otherwise and the Thunder are the second best team still. Sure my team seems great on paper,but we gotta see them play first and gel together. Laker fans talking crap about our team saying it's ours already are just.....:facepalm:

Even better sir...
this guy is the most logical laker fan I have ever seen.

Philapsychosis
08-17-2012, 02:31 AM
the thunder are actually still better then lakers

Woah dude, that's incredible! You're able to see how the seasons going to unfold before the games have been played!? You must be rich!

raiderposting
08-17-2012, 02:33 AM
op said harden and thabo are the best to guard kobe and wade at the 2. thabo is a great defender. harden is not a good defender.

Kevj77
08-17-2012, 03:44 AM
The they haven't played a game theory is somewhat moot. The Celtics hadn't played a game together when they got the big 3, but won a championship their first year, made the finals 2 out of three years and the WCF three out of four years. The one year they the missed WCF KG was injured.

When the Lakers traded for Gasol LA went to three straight finals winning back to back titles.

Miami has been to the finals two years in a row and are the current NBA champs.

Lakers are expected to win now they went all in. Doesn't mean they will just that anything less is a failure. The team was put together to win a championship.

Munkeysuit
08-17-2012, 03:55 AM
4-1 ...With that being said, do not ever say the Thunder can match Miami, they threw everything at Miami and they could not even get 2 wins. However, I am still picking Miami & OKC to repeat, simply out of respect to the 2 top teams in basketball. Lakers need to win some games before they get my attention.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Thunder still match up decently to the Lakers. I wouldn't call it a lock for the Lakers to win.

Munkeysuit
08-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by Purple&Gold24
Seriously the lakers haven't played one game. The Miami Heat are the tops dog until proven otherwise and the Thunder are the second best team still. Sure my team seems great on paper,but we gotta see them play first and gel together. Laker fans talking crap about our team saying it's ours already are just.....

Well said, more sports fans should use the same philosophy and give credit where credit is due, respecting the 2 top teams from the previous season is always the adult thing to do.

fruitchops
08-17-2012, 04:03 AM
kb-pau is vastly overrating his team.. per the usual.. like show some damn objectivity

STL Don
08-17-2012, 04:17 AM
I don't think the Okc is a team you could consider a sleeper considering most people have them ranked either second or third in there power rankings.. I mean Okc just made it to the finals have two top ten players in the nba probably a top two superstar, and I think most people consider both harden and ibaka rising stars hard to consider them sleepers...

Vs
Jamison/Meeks/Blake

1.Just because Harden doesn't start the game in the very beginning does not mean you should factor him in when comparing one's bench. He's going to average 35-40 mins per game..
2.Not just you, but I think a lot of non-Laker fans are underestimating Antawn Jamison, he's still a very quality player and could be a candidate this year for 6th man of the year.
Meeks is a 3 pt shooter who will benefit from having Nash run the point

justinnum1
08-17-2012, 06:53 AM
I expect thunder to be in the finals along with miami

kb-pau is vastly overrating his team.. per the usual.. like show some damn objectivity

He's not the only one.

LakersSaintsLSU
08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
the most underated player in nba right now is westbrook people just think he is chucker

He hold's the ball to much,too many dribbles only using KD as a catch and shoot,i mean i know KD is all "i'm better when he shoot's" but give it three
more years if they dont produce a title within that time frame then we will find a way to let him play his game is LA. KD and D12 would be brutal

LakersSaintsLSU
08-17-2012, 07:10 AM

Your right, i mean i am cocky about our potential and how getting d12 and hopefully resigning him just set us up for NOW AND when kobe re-----:speechless:,D12 in LA= FA Magnet

dc5jdm
08-17-2012, 07:11 AM
I expect thunder to be in the finals along with miami

He's not the only one.

Well aren't you in for a rude awakening.

LakersSaintsLSU
08-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Well aren't you in for a rude awakening.

Still believe with an actual GAMEPLAN and NASH not sessions at PG those two meltdowns to OKC would have been wins. Man can you imagine what phil would do with this line-up?? Oh my i think he would take a step back from the tri-angle and let nash run the show until he feels we need to

Aust
08-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Thunder a sleeper contender?

lolno

Raidaz4Life
08-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Yeah, in case you haven't noticed, all the Lakers "haters" are still putting all their eggs in the OKC basket so its hard for them to be considered sleepers.

justinnum1
08-17-2012, 08:47 AM
lol, so if you don't think the lakers will be in the finals your a hater? Makes sense.

Raidaz4Life
08-17-2012, 09:05 AM
lol, so if you don't think the lakers will be in the finals your a hater? Makes sense.

There is a difference between legitimately thinking that they won't (not sure how you could), and saying they don't stand a chance against the thunder like most people in here are doing. Either way the Lakers are hands down the favorites in the west barring injury. I won't say they are the favorites against Miami because that is disrespectful to the champs... but its not like it was that outlandish that they would have beat the thunder last year with a team that didn't have Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, and Antawn Jamison.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
The Thunder still have something that will give LA fits, youth and speed. The Lakers also have something that will give OKC fits, and that is size up front. I think until proven otherwise, OKC is still the favorite in the west, only fans getting caught up in the moment are forgetting about them, so I can't see them as a "sleeper". They are one of 3-5 teams that could contend, and one of 3 teams that is going to enter next season as Vegas favorites to win a title.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2012, 09:17 AM
There is a difference between legitimately thinking that they won't (not sure how you could), and saying they don't stand a chance against the thunder like most people in here are doing. Either way the Lakers are hands down the favorites in the west barring injury. I won't say they are the favorites against Miami because that is disrespectful to the champs... but its not like it was that outlandish that they would have beat the thunder last year with a team that didn't have Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, and Antawn Jamison.

I don't think the Lakers are hands down favorites. The Thunder are still a unique matchup problem for them, with the Lakers perimeter defense being not that good anymore. That plays straight into OKC's strengths. Furthermore, as long as Brown is the Lakers coach, I can't see them using their bigs properly.

Can the Lakers represent the west in the finals? Of course they can. But I don't think they are clear favorites when the Thunder whipped everyone in the playoffs until they ran into a strong perimeter oriented team with LeBron balling.

Raidaz4Life
08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
The Thunder still have something that will give LA fits, youth and speed. The Lakers also have something that will give OKC fits, and that is size up front. I think until proven otherwise, OKC is still the favorite in the west, only fans getting caught up in the moment are forgetting about them, so I can't see them as a "sleeper". They are one of 3-5 teams that could contend, and one of 3 teams that is going to enter next season as Vegas favorites to win a title.

I wouldn't say the speed advantage is still there in the same way it was before though. A big reason they had that speed advantage was because Bynum had trouble running the floor. I am not saying the Lakers are a lock because the Thunder are easily still capable of beating us but at the same time the Lakers are clearly a far more talented squad.

I will give you this. The one HUGE advantage that the Thunder have over the Lakers is coaching. So really in my opinion it will come down to talent vs coaching. But considering last year talent won out I feel like it will likewise win out this year.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't say the speed advantage is still there in the same way it was before though. A big reason they had that speed advantage was because Bynum had trouble running the floor. I am not saying the Lakers are a lock because the Thunder are easily still capable of beating us but at the same time the Lakers are clearly a far more talented squad.

I will give you this. The one HUGE advantage that the Thunder have over the Lakers is coaching. So really in my opinion it will come down to talent vs coaching. But considering last year talent won out I feel like it will likewise win out this year.

3 of the Lakers stars were far better 5 years ago. The Thunders players are entering their peaks. I don't think the talent gap is all that much. OKC will have the best player in the series, and Nash will struggle big time with staying in front of Westbrook, who routinely kills bad defensive PG's.

The coaching aspect is a big one. Brown is a moron, I am convinced of it. If he isn't able to hold the Lakers together in the locker room and on the floor, there could be issues. Kobe must realize he is not the alpha on that team anymore for the Lakers to truly succeed.

Raidaz4Life
08-17-2012, 09:34 AM
3 of the Lakers stars were far better 5 years ago. The Thunders players are entering their peaks. I don't think the talent gap is all that much. OKC will have the best player in the series, and Nash will struggle big time with staying in front of Westbrook, who routinely kills bad defensive PG's.

The coaching aspect is a big one. Brown is a moron, I am convinced of it. If he isn't able to hold the Lakers together in the locker room and on the floor, there could be issues. Kobe must realize he is not the alpha on that team anymore for the Lakers to truly succeed.

I agree with this paragraph 100% and if more people actually used this kind of reasoning I could totally understand why they'd favor OKC, but just saying that Nash, Kobe, and Pau are old doesn't really due it for me. None of them have really seen a substantial drop in their productivity enough to the point where you could say they aren't what they used to be. Sure they are not in their primes but its still Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, and Pau Gasol. Its not like I'm saying T-Mac, AI, and Shaq.

SteBO
08-17-2012, 09:42 AM
1.Just because Harden doesn't start the game in the very beginning does not mean you should factor him in when comparing one's bench. He's going to average 35-40 mins per game..
2.Not just you, but I think a lot of non-Laker fans are underestimating Antawn Jamison, he's still a very quality player and could be a candidate this year for 6th man of the year.
Meeks is a 3 pt shooter who will benefit from having Nash run the point
He still comes off the bench regardless, so that point is moot. Sure, he plays starters minutes, but he also plays his fair share of minutes along with the second unit (Nick Collison, Eric Maynor, to go along with one of Westy or KD).

Antawn Jamison is the best player they'll have coming off their bench. Problem is, he's still old and inefficient. The only good/consistent shooters LA has are Nash and Meeks, and if Meeks isn't hitting his shot, he's useless out there.

BobbyHillSwag
08-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Lol thunder are done for the next two years. They might as well take some games off, get their rest up. Lakers will violate the thunder.

elopez24MIAMI
08-17-2012, 10:04 AM
He still comes off the bench regardless, so that point is moot. Sure, he plays starters minutes, but he also plays his fair share of minutes along with the second unit (Nick Collison, Eric Maynor, to go along with one of Westy or KD).

Antawn Jamison is the best player they'll have coming off their bench. Problem is, he's still old and inefficient. The only good/consistent shooters LA has are Nash and Meeks, and if Meeks isn't hitting his shot, he's useless out there.

That was my original point, couldn't have said it better myself! I don't want my sixth man shooting under 40 percent from the field... Anybody in the nba can score 17 pts per game if there putting up a bunch of shots...

elopez24MIAMI
08-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Lol thunder are done for the next two years. They might as well take some games off, get their rest up. Lakers will violate the thunder.

I don't know about this lol... Thunder are younger more athletic,deeper and have the best player in this potential serious(I don't think even laker fans would say Kobe or Dwight are better then Durant at this point?) i think the lakers made great moves and would not be surprised if they made thE finals but I also would not be surprised if Okc runs them out of the building..

Gotta wait and see...
Even if the thunder match up against Miami again in the finals they will definitely get better I would still say Miami is better but it would be a longer serious Okc will be better!

justinnum1
08-17-2012, 10:20 AM

dumbest comment of the day so far

LoneWolf
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Vs
Jamison/Meeks/Blake

Jordan Hill

LoneWolf
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
I've heard a lot of talk lately, and it's almost all been about whether Miami or Los Angeles is better. Where exactly is the Thunder talk? Their biggest weakness is inexperience, which they just mitigated with a first-ever trip to the finals and a first-ever trip to Olympic gold by their entire big three. Not to mention they just added one of the best college big men in the country and are still the deepest team in the league.

PG - Russell Westbrook will terrorize both Miami and Los Angeles more and more. He'll always be five steps ahead of Steve Nash, and Mario Chalmers will just never have the talent to handle him.
SG - James Harden and Thabo Sefolosha are the best-case scenario when looking for two players to guard Kobe Bryant or Dwayne Wade. Not to mention that Wade might be puttering out this season because of a bum leg anyway.
SF - There's no way Ron Artest can guard Kevin Durant, who's shooting is just as effective at putting points up as LeBron James' drives to the hoop. And at 24 by the time the season starts, he hasn't even peaked yet.
PF - Serge Ibaka is the best answer when it comes to who should be guarding LeBron James. Ironically, it would probably be easier for Durant to guard Chris Bosh. Against Los Angeles, Ibaka will be more than enough to keep Pau Gasol busy and away from the hoop.
C - Kendrick Perkins, while not nearly as talented, is about as good as it gets, if you need someone to stand up to Dwight Howard in the paint.
Bench - The Thunder easily have a better bench than Los Angeles or Miami. Don't for a second discount the addition of Jones III. In total, the Thunder have four sizable guys they can legitimately throw at Howard - six they can throw at Gasol. They're also at least three-deep at every position.

OKC is good but they only outplayed a weak Los Angeles team in one game last playoffs. Los Angels is extremely gifted now and added depth to compete with anyone's bench.

Carey
08-17-2012, 10:51 AM
I love the fuel this is gonna feed are young guys, losing the finals obviously stung but now with D12 and Nash on the Lakers the Thunder arent the favorite to come out of the West anymore. I've never cared about who's is/should be considered the favorite. All i know is that if are players make the necessary improvements and our coach learns from his mistakes we can play with anyone, the fact that this can be used to put a lil chip on our shoulder is icing on the cake.

C-Style
08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Not over looking Thunder but Lakers did make some moves...

Will Thunder be able to double team Kobe or the post
with Nash out there wide open? They did with Sessioons

How will Thunder adjust to Dwight pick n roll defense, will that hurt Harden who thrives off picks?

Will Westbrook be able to attack the rim the same way he did vs Bynum?

Dwight plays better than Bynum vs Perkins.

How will Thunder adjust to the Lakers new offense?

its gonna be a great series to say the least. I think Thunder will be the Lakers toughest match up in the playoffs. Why because they were build to beat the Lakers and for that reason match up the best with them.

koreancabbage
08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
LA went out and addressed their needs. OKC didn't do anything. Ibaka and Perkins are still useless offensively. They got players they lacked last year in the lost to OKC.

Thats why I give LA the edge in the west. Howard, Nash as starters and Duhon, Jamison, Earl Clark, Meeks for their bench. That bench is much better than OKCs as of right now. That bench is the best

bench:
PG: Duhon, Blake
SG: Meeks,
SF: Clark, Ebanks
PF: Jamison
C: Hill

Carey
08-17-2012, 11:19 AM
LA went out and addressed their needs. OKC didn't do anything. Ibaka and Perkins are still useless offensively. They got players they lacked last year in the lost to OKC.

Thats why I give LA the edge in the west. Howard, Nash as starters and Duhon, Jamison, Earl Clark, Meeks for their bench. That bench is much better than OKCs as of right now. That bench is the best

bench:

Vs.
PG Maynor
SG Harden
SF PJ3
PF Collison
C Aldrich
SG Cook

I'd say thats at worst a wash if not a slight edge for OKC imo

SteBO
08-17-2012, 11:26 AM

bench:
I forgot about Steve Blake, but he's very inconsistent. Chris Duhon is not a good basketball player at all, and Ebanks hasn't proven much of anything to this point. Earl Clark is alright imo, at least he's an athletic wing player that has the ability to stay in front of people. Unfortunately, this is KD we're talking about staying in front of. I've already stated my sentiments about Meeks and Jamison. I like Jordan Hill though....

LoneWolf
08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Not over looking Thunder but Lakers did make some moves...

Will Thunder be able to double team Kobe or the post
with Nash out there wide open? They did with Sessioons

How will Thunder adjust to Dwight pick n roll defense, will that hurt Harden who thrives off picks?

Will Westbrook be able to attack the rim the same way he did vs Bynum?

Dwight plays better than Bynum vs Perkins.

How will Thunder adjust to the Lakers new offense?

its gonna be a great series to say the least. I think Thunder will be the Lakers toughest match up in the playoffs. Why because they were build to beat the Lakers and for that reason match up the best with them.

This makes absolutely no sense because this Los Angeles team is constructed extremely different than Lakers teams of the past. Plus the offensive and defensive schemes have changed immensely. I don't find any logic in what you're saying, brother.

koreancabbage
08-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Vs.
PG Maynor
SG Harden
SF PJ3
PF Collison
C Aldrich
SG Cook

I'd say thats at worst a wash if not a slight edge for OKC imo

overrating these guys a bit no? PJ3 won't have any significant impact.

I'm actually indifferent about everyone else except Jamison. He's the most important acquisition for LA. He's going to space that floor nicely like Bosh did for Miami. going to take one of their bigs away from the basket. He's more important to the Lakers than Harden is for OKC IMO. i.e. Lakers were sorely missing Odom.

and another aspect of the game that OKC probably can't stop efficiently and Lakers didn't have in their repertoire last year; an efficient PnR game- which leads to the Nash and Howard PnR. Nash can shoot the 3 pointer and score when needed and will be the best passer on team since ever. This fact alone gives LA the edge as well.

yes they have Durant and Westbrook, but its shown that if they can negate everyone else from their offense, OKC as a team, isn't that good.

Lakers have much more weapons this year than last year: a jump shooting big man(and no i don't count Bynum as that LOL), a passer, and 3 point shooters.

koreancabbage
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I forgot about Steve Blake, but he's very inconsistent. Chris Duhon is not a good basketball player at all, and Ebanks hasn't proven much of anything to this point. Earl Clark is alright imo, at least he's an athletic wing player that has the ability to stay in front of people. Unfortunately, this is KD we're talking about staying in front of. I've already stated my sentiments about Meeks and Jamison. I like Jordan Hill though....

I would say Blake and Duhon are there defensively. they won't get much time since Nash is a well oiled machine, even at his age.

LoneWolf
08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
This match up should be entertaining because OKC will be better than Miami next season. This should be L.A.'s biggest test.

LoneWolf
08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I would say Blake and Duhon are there defensively. they won't get much time since Nash is a well oiled machine, even at his age.

Nash will play with monitored minutes. Nice try, though.

kjoke
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Steve Blake and Chirs Duhon in there for defense? LOL

BobbyHillSwag
08-17-2012, 12:09 PM
dumbest comment of the day so far

Im pretty sure I can go into that knicks thread and find atleast 10 posts of yours that deserve the dumbest comment of the day nomination.

You may ask what knicks thread. It's everyone you post in though.

Mascot

smith&wesson
08-17-2012, 12:32 PM
i have a feeling harden will leave in free agency. . .

Stinkyoutsider
08-17-2012, 12:42 PM
OKC is not a sleeper team at all. I expect to see them make another deep playoff run. I think as of today, Lakers vs OKC in the WCF, so we'll be able to see who's the better team and who has the better bench.

The only problem with OKC is Perkins' performance late in the playoffs. He's the NBA's best low post defender and a good rebounder but he didn't play well. Perry Jones is good talent and can develop into the player that takes over for Ibaka or Harden if needed (he can probably play both the 3 and 4 and slide Durant to the 2 guard).

LoneWolf
08-17-2012, 12:59 PM
OKC is not a sleeper team at all. I expect to see them make another deep playoff run. I think as of today, Lakers vs OKC in the WCF, so we'll be able to see who's the better team and who has the better bench.

The only problem with OKC is Perkins' performance late in the playoffs. He's the NBA's best low post defender and a good rebounder but he didn't play well. Perry Jones is good talent and can develop into the player that takes over for Ibaka or Harden if needed (he can probably play both the 3 and 4 and slide Durant to the 2 guard).

Better than Howard?!:speechless:

poleandreel
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Duhon/Blake/Meeks are actually trash. Meeks started and played 30 mpg at one point andwasn't even putting up 9 ppg. Duhon is straight bum as is Blake.

Only Jamison is good and he will probably get more run than artest so he is effectively a starter.

Harden/Collison/PJ3 who could have been a top 5 pick had he come out last year/Maynor/

Okay laker fans.

Gibby23
08-17-2012, 01:31 PM

You should have just said no comment because those 2 statements make it seem likle you don't know what you are talking about. They are both unproven but in no way has Earl Clark shown more than Ebanks. Ebanks has been the better of the 2 sofar.

albertc86
08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
How are they a sleeper contender when they beat the top teams in the West last year and made the finals? Fail. They are contenders.

SteBO
08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
You should have just said no comment because those 2 statements make it seem likle you don't know what you are talking about. They are both unproven but in no way has Earl Clark shown more than Ebanks. Ebanks has been the better of the 2 sofar.
You'd know more about him than me, so I'll take your word for it here. Regardless, my point still stands. The Lakers' bench is not as good as some of you are saying, and they're being overrated. Ebanks being the better of the two isn't saying much anyhow. Nothing will convince me otherwise. Sorry.

D12 fan
08-17-2012, 01:43 PM
^Laker hater.

SteBO
08-17-2012, 01:51 PM
^Laker hater.
Lol I have no ill-will towards the Lakers at all. I have so much respect for Kobe and that organization. Just because I'm not going to sit here and wave the Laker pom-poms and praise every move they've made doesn't mean I'm "hating". They have their strengths and they have their weaknesses like every other team in the league.

Gibby23
08-17-2012, 01:51 PM
You'd know more about him than me, so I'll take your word for it here. Regardless, my point still stands. The Lakers' bench is not as good as some of you are saying, and they're being overrated. Ebanks being the better of the two isn't saying much anyhow. Nothing will convince me otherwise. Sorry.

i think our bench still sucks, but should be better than last year with Jamison, Meeks providing way more scoring than we had off the bench last year. Hill is good for rebounding and D and gets put backs. Blake sucks and so does Duhon. I just hope one of Clark and Ebanks can become a decent 8 to 10ppg 2 way player. If the lakers can get 25 to 30ppg from the bench, they will be hard to beat.

C-Style
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
This makes absolutely no sense because this Los Angeles team is constructed extremely different than Lakers teams of the past. Plus the offensive and defensive schemes have changed immensely. I don't find any logic in what you're saying, brother.

From the Thunder prospective, u can say they didnt improve much at center and got a 38 pg who will go up against Westbrook & who will defend Westbrook & Harden at the same time? Kobe can only defend one of them.

Yes Lakers got better @ center and PG but they still have the only defender that can slow down Dwight, they still have the 2 of the best big defenders and 3 young offensive players(Durant/Harden/Westbrook) to go up against a old Kobe, old Nash & an old Metta

koreancabbage
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Nash will play with monitored minutes. Nice try, though.

mhmm doesn't need to do much if he's giving Howard the ball in the PnR or shooting 3's all day. Nice try should be held for OKC thinking they could have won the championship.

"nice try, OKC"

koreancabbage
08-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Duhon/Blake/Meeks are actually trash. Meeks started and played 30 mpg at one point andwasn't even putting up 9 ppg. Duhon is straight bum as is Blake.

Only Jamison is good and he will probably get more run than artest so he is effectively a starter.

Harden/Collison/PJ3 who could have been a top 5 pick had he come out last year/Maynor/

Okay laker fans.

like I said, Jamison was the Lakers most important acquisition this offseason. Even if they had Bynum and Gasol, what Jamison can do on the perimeter as a big man- will do wonders for a team that has two low post scorers.

Lake_Show2416
08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
they r underdogs its a 2 way race to the title between Heat & Lakers

Blitzbolt
08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
The Thunder always take a step foward.They are the favorites in the West like it or not.

Purple&Gold24
08-17-2012, 03:32 PM

This is what i meant :facepalm:

Utd7
08-17-2012, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't dare call the defending West Champions underdogs.

Kashmir13579
08-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Will Westbrook continue to improve? I know it sounds cliche but i don't consider him a winning player at this juncture. He needs to slow down. His style of play is exciting and its gotten him this far, but lends itself to poor decision-making.

In the playoffs its gonna come down to those last possessions and Russell needs to play smarter in those situations.

I like the kid, don't get me wrong. But i don't think he's elite. Not yet anyway.

h2r09
08-17-2012, 07:16 PM
They need to improve. Westbrook needs to become more consistent. Harden needs to take on a bigger role. Ibaka needs to consistently hit the mid range jumper and not just block shots but also play actual defense.

But durant needs to improve the most to beat the heat. Needs to get a lot stronger and a better playmaker on offense cause lebron kills him.

C-Style
08-17-2012, 07:31 PM

troll

IndyHeatjman
08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
If anyone is sleepen on the Thunder, they need to lay off the booze. Granted the Lakers and Heat are the favored teams to get to the finals. OKC is by no means a sleeper team, they can still compete with the best of the west.