PDA

View Full Version : If you were to add 6 NBA teams...

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Let's be real here. The NBA is expanding globally, ratings have been up, and it's only a matter of time before league wide expansion happens. I wouldn't be surprised if Stern made it part of his legacy if he's still around by the next time the CBA comes up. Contraction will not happen unless we have a global recession and rich owners sell off their shares.

I'm trying to base the 6 teams I would add off metropolitan population size (for example, Long Island, Manhatten, North Jersey, rather than just NYC) rather than just city population. Also, I will take into consideration surrounding areas with teams, general area of interest in basketball, and historical perspective.

1. Montreal is the obvious choice for me at number one. It's the largest populated area in North America without a basketball team. The Raptors have done incredibly well even without a contending team since Vince Carter left. They are worth more than a majority of the teams in the United States. A Montreal basketball team would do almost as well as the Raptors. Everytime the Knicks practice and play around Mcgill University and the local arena, the games are sold out. And these are preseason games.

2. Seattle is dying for a franchise, and I think they deserve one. They have a well populated metropolitan area and a fanbase that knows what it's like not to have their team to root for.

3. Vancouver is a city with a lot of ties to Asia including a massive brain drain and a history of wealth. A successful team would do very well here a second time around.

4. Las Vegas. With the summer league proving very successful taking place here, I see no reason why there shouldn't be basketball player here by a real franchise.

5. London. It's a 9.5 hour flight to California and a 7 hour flight to New York City but, if planned properly, it could work and be quite profitable.

6. Madrid. Again, it's another huge risk, but with a dearth of other options in North America (unless you include Mexico City which is dangerous, San Diego is another California location, Calgary which lacks the interest, every other metropolitan area is simply too small for a franchise to be worth the investment) Basketball is growing in Spain, and I think there is a place at some point in the future for basketball to be played in Western Europe.

36 teams. 18 in each division. 10 playoff teams in each conference.

The bottom 4 teams each have a 3 game series to fight for the final 2 spots in the top 8 in each conference.

It could work.

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Honorable Mentions: Baltimore, Saint Louis, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Calgary, San Diego, Newark and Edmonton.

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Obviously, the divisions would have to be reorganized based on location, but it could work.

I would prefer adding six teams rather than contracting six teams.

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 06:55 AM
1. Montreal Royal

2. Seattle Supersonics

3. Vancouver Bears

4. Las Vegas Rebels

5. London Patriots

6. Madrid Ganadores

bigsams50
08-16-2012, 07:11 AM
That would be too many teams.

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 07:16 AM
That would be too many teams.

This is more of a response to the thread where people wanted to contract 6 teams.

I don't see how it would be too many teams. We could cut the unprofitable D-League teams and invest more heavily in the additional NBA teams. Add a third round to the NBA draft. Lower the age limit to 18, and you'll get better quality talent.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Maybe another team in Chicago or Boston

- Seattle
- Lincoln/Omaha perhaps they can garner the same type of following as OKC
- St. Louis perhaps?
- Pittsburgh

I don't see tons of opportunities

Blue_Ninja
08-16-2012, 07:18 AM
We should be removing NBA teams, not adding them lol

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Maybe another team in Chicago or Boston

- Seattle
- Lincoln/Omaha perhaps they can garner the same type of following as OKC
- St. Louis perhaps?
- Pittsburgh

I don't see tons of opportunities

I wouldn't mind a team in Newark.

St. Louis makes sense too.

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 07:20 AM

I don't see why. The NBA is getting more prosperous not less.

bigsams50
08-16-2012, 07:21 AM
This is more of a response to the thread where people wanted to contract 6 teams.

I don't see how it would be too many teams. We could cut the unprofitable D-League teams and invest more heavily in the additional NBA teams. Add a third round to the NBA draft. Lower the age limit to 18, and you'll get better quality talent.

I see. Anything i post will probably off topic to this thread then. lol So i will stop my posting

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 07:28 AM
I see. Anything i post will probably off topic to this thread then. lol So i will stop my posting

I'm going to UNC Chapel Hill Friday morning to start the school year. Off topic.

On topic, this thread is much better than the 6 teams we should contract thread.

Heediot
08-16-2012, 07:44 AM
I would put Barcelona over London. They have proven to be a city that supports basketball.

bigsams50
08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm going to UNC Chapel Hill Friday morning to start the school year. Off topic.

On topic, this thread is much better than the 6 teams we should contract thread.

Your going to UNC? Congrats man :D

Hellcrooner
08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Mid term(10-15 year), once Airbus finish the new airplane they are working on wich will put you in 4 hours basically anywhere on the world, what will happen is that american small markets will lose theyr teams and there will be relocation to main world citys.

Sidney, Tokyo, Shangai,Beijing, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Rome,Milan, Moscow,Rio, Buenos Aires, Berlin, Mexico D.F,Istanbul, Athens,Seoul.

Surviving American teams, Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Rockets, mavericks, Bulls, Raptors, Heat, Hawks, Wizards, Knicks, Nets, Sixers, Celtics

Silent
08-16-2012, 08:16 AM

i agree pretty soon the jerseys are gonna look like billboards we don't need any more teams. Basketball is gonna be a joke in a few years

Heediot
08-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Mid term(10-15 year), once Airbus finish the new airplane they are working on wich will put you in 4 hours basically anywhere on the world, what will happen is that american small markets will lose theyr teams and there will be relocation to main world citys.

Sidney, Tokyo, Shangai,Beijing, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Rome,Milan, Moscow,Rio, Buenos Aires, Berlin, Mexico D.F,Istanbul, Athens,Seoul.

Surviving American teams, Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Rockets, mavericks, Bulls, Raptors, Heat, Hawks, Wizards, Knicks, Nets, Sixers, Celtics

While Atlanta is a big market, the fan base and support sucks. They can't even make money with a playoff team.

That'd be sick if your comes to fruition.

Kleonidas
08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Somewhere in Kentucky.

Spiderman 1nner
08-16-2012, 08:47 AM
If you were to add 6 teams id have 2 reservations..
1) no additional playoff teams. We can't have more than half the league in the playoffs like it is now, its a joke.
2) while expanding overseas is what every league wants to do, I just don't see how its realistic. It'd cause major scheduling conflicts.

Hellcrooner
08-16-2012, 08:50 AM
If you were to add 6 teams id have 2 reservations..
1) no additional playoff teams. We can't have more than half the league in the playoffs like it is now, its a joke.
2) while expanding overseas is what every league wants to do, I just don't see how its realistic. It'd cause major scheduling conflicts.

As i said, Once the Airbus ultraquick planes are working, thats not a problem.

Right now with a regular plane you take 5 hours to go from N.Y to L.A

If you have a plane that takes you from N.Y to Moscow in the same time span theres 0 problem about schedules.

StarvingKnick22
08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Seattle Supersonics- you know why
Maine Manatees- they need a basketball team
Buffalo Eskimos- that city needs this type of crowd and more than just a football team
Vancouver Homosexuals- that city wants a team and it be funny to have players say when they get drafted "its good to be a homo" or "I've always wanted to be one" lol that be really funny

todu82
08-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Don't see the NBA expanding but meh I'll do this for fun:

Baltimore
St.Louis
Pittsburgh
Las Vegas
Montreal
Kansas City

AllKohn
08-16-2012, 10:14 AM
If we were gonna add 6 teams, they should contract 12 first.

AndyfromNeptune
08-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Don't see the NBA expanding but meh I'll do this for fun:

Baltimore
St.Louis
Pittsburgh
Las Vegas
Montreal
Kansas City

On the East, I would add Montreal, Baltimore, and Newark.

On the West, I would add Vancouver, St. Louis, and Kansas City.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-16-2012, 11:05 AM

If you have a plane that takes you from N.Y to Moscow in the same time span theres 0 problem about schedules.

I dont know if the Players Union would have a say in something like this, but if they would, I highly doubt there would be any teams in other countries.

You'd have to convince a ton of players to be ok with living abroad, I dont know how many would like that.

mamba24
08-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't see why. The NBA is getting more prosperous not less.

It may be getting more prosperous, but do you really want to add 6 teams right now??? you realize you would be adding 6 more teams that are about as good as the Bobcats, right? it makes no sense to add 6 teams... I think the league would be more competitive if 2 teams were contracted (any combo of 3 these teams: Charlotte, Sacramento, New Orleans)...

I would much rather get rid of dead weight and spread more talent around the league

Puck017
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
IMO a relegation system would work well with the NBA. I believe the NBA would be better off adding teams instead of contracting them.

mamba24
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Seattle Supersonics- you know why
Maine Manatees- they need a basketball team
Buffalo Eskimos- that city needs this type of crowd and more than just a football team
Vancouver Homosexuals- that city wants a team and it be funny to have players say when they get drafted "its good to be a homo" or "I've always wanted to be one" lol that be really funny

:laugh:

Chronz
08-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Yea we should relocate the BS teams in garbage cities

Pierzynski4Prez
08-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I would like the idea of adding teams, only if you somehow knew that meant the talent would spread out.

Unfortunately that wouldn't happen, so we'd still have our very few dominant teams, followed by even more crappy teams.

Yanks All Day
08-16-2012, 11:34 AM
I would take away 6 NBA teams before adding 6 more.

heattiltheend94
08-16-2012, 11:37 AM
by adding more teams, it would take away competitiveness, and add way more mediocre teams.

yaswaggin
08-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Take out: Charlotte, Indiana, Atlanta, Memphis, Orlando. All are below average market cities except atlanta and orlando, who just have ****** fan support. (Most of florida does and Atlanta is a football town, baseball and basketball are below second fiddle there)

Bring in: Barcelona (huge basketball market, Montreal (big market city), Beijing (with rising basketball interest in china), Seattle (they lost a team recently but they were actually good fans)

so you cut 6 and bring in 4.

now league has 28 teams, 14 in each league.

Markets in, L.A, NY, brooklyn, Chicago, San Fran, Dallas, Boston, Philly, and Toronto are all very stable.

The rest are all pretty replaceable and 80% will probably be moved in the next 150 years.

oh and i wouldnt be suprised if in the next 60 years all the florida teams are gone, florida is the worst state for sports unless the team is doing good, and that only counts for the heat.

OT Thriller
08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
It will be interesting to see when the NBA finally makes the international move. Not just the NBA either. One major professional league will make the jump to add a team to the league that is not in North America. I wonder who will do it first? It will be a huge move, basketball is becoming more than just an American sport.

Kashmir13579
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
I would love there to be a team in Montreal. Not too long of a drive from where i'm at. Nice little town if you ask me.

yaswaggin
08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
It will be interesting to see when the NBA finally makes the international move. Not just the NBA either. One major professional league will make the jump to add a team to the league that is not in North America. I wonder who will do it first? It will be a huge move, basketball is becoming more than just an American sport.

basketball makes sense to do it first considering they have the most globe-wide support

baseball would be a close second

nfl is far from being global, but it's a lot more global then it was 15 years ago.

also the nfl is pretty much dominant in every city except jacksonville, minnesota, and miami.

miami is suprising considering their history, but:

"Overall, Forbes valued the Dolphins at $1.011 billion, putting them squarely in the middle of the pack as the 16th-most valuable franchise, just behind the Cleveland Browns and ahead of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross paid $1.1 billion for the team in 2008. Last year was the first time this decade the Dolphins did not have a positive operating income or increase the value of the franchise from the previous year, according to Forbes."

this was in 2010 so 2009 was what they refer as last year.

ElChinoLatino
08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Im down to be a Vancouver Homo fan, or as I would say it, a HFFL

NoahH
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Vancouver
Seattle
Mexico
Las Vegas
San Diego
Baltimore

julienbball
08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
to be honest, although I live in Montreal, bringing a team there really doesn't seem to be a great idea...I would love to have a team there but it won't work out...
Montreal tried 4 times to get a ''professional'' basketball team and they all failed because the fan base is way too small. The first 4-5 games you could count on a couple of curious citizens but creating a real fan base was impossible for the Dragons, Matrix, Royal or even the Sasquatch. The NBA preseason games that are played in Montreal work well but the arena is full of people from all around the province travelling to see professional players periodically. You cannot count on 15 000 people to show up every week because the francophone community (Montreal is in Quebec) prefers Hockey over Football over Baseball over Basketball....
It's a shame but it's the truth, it wouldn't work!

b@llhog24
08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
No offense, but adding teams would be kind of stupid.

koreancabbage
08-16-2012, 01:03 PM
to be honest, although I live in Montreal, bringing a team there really doesn't seem to be a great idea...I would love to have a team there but it won't work out...
Montreal tried 4 times to get a ''professional'' basketball team and they all failed because the fan base is way too small. The first 4-5 games you could count on a couple of curious citizens but creating a real fan base was impossible for the Dragons, Matrix, Royal or even the Sasquatch. The NBA preseason games that are played in Montreal work well but the arena is full of people from all around the province travelling to see professional players periodically. You cannot count on 15 000 people to show up every week because the francophone community (Montreal is in Quebec) prefers Hockey over Football over Baseball over Basketball....
It's a shame but it's the truth, it wouldn't work!

its worth a shot. I didn't think Vancouver was bad.- just bad management and poor decision to move the team. They had a fanbase and so will Montreal. Toronto has done well due to drafting good players creating, at times, decent teams --> this has earned fans interest, not b/c of the teams being in the city.

mlisica19
08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
I cant see a team doing well in Europe. I cant see the players wanting to move across the Ocean in a different country and culture completely. Yea I am sure Pau would love to play in Spain and still make millions but the average baller would prob not like that. The traveling would be terrible, TERRIBLE. 42 games back and forth...

I cant see them selling out tickets as well. Maybe at first it would be insane! But 41 games in Spain? Europeans want to root for their players in their leagues and their teams.

I would love to see with NHL and NBA more American teams play European teams. Love it, friendlies or for a trophy doesnt matter!

mlisica19
08-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I would like to see another Canadian team. Surprised its not made yet. Probably will be Montreal.

JiffyMix88
08-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Yea we should relocate the BS teams in garbage cities

gs warriors?

topdog
08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
1. Montreal Royal

2. Seattle Supersonics

3. Vancouver Bears

4. Las Vegas Rebels

5. London Patriots

6. Madrid Ganadores

:laugh2: I don't think that would go over too well. And "Patriots" for London?

The truth is somewhere in the middle as far as contraction/expansion. Glen Taylor, President of the Board of Governors, spoke about getting the right teams in the right places i.e. relocation.

1. Seattle - this is the obvious one

2. Vancouver - I see a lot of Canadian fans posting on here about it being a great city for it (there were issues the first time around)

3. Albuquerque - not sure on the demographics but it's a decent sized capital city that seems to have a penchant for sports

4. Las Vegas -4th on the list because of the continual betting/fixing concerns that come with having a team here.

5. St. Louis - they have baseball, why not basketball?

6. Charleston - the other Carolina

I don't think global expansion works well for a sport with so many games like basketball. The alternate proposal was to create "NBA Europe" with the brand essentially setting up a separate league there.

topdog
08-16-2012, 02:24 PM

While football is far more "American" than the other sports i.e. less global appeal, I would predict it would be the first league (NFL) to have an overseas team. Why? Because only 16 games are played meaning an extended stay by a London team in the US followed by a long homestand with 8 teams making the trip to London.

That, versus an 82 or 180 game season with very long and expensive travel.

Hellcrooner
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Ill put my money on MLB.

As soon as the big cigar man has his beard in his coffin and theres democratic elections to choose prez.

I mean, taking a flight from anyway in teh u.s to Habana is just not a big deal.
Baseballis HUGHE in Cuba.

Second choice Nba putting a team in Mexico DF.

IndyRealist
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Except for time zones. West coast teams already have an advantage playing east coast teams. Imagine how rough US teams would have playing in Tokyo or Moscow.

Blazers#1Fan
08-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Yeah right would never happen nba would become a foreign game "national" would become world Doubt nba changes much besides moving teams a few teams not 50% of them portland has a contract that makes it so they stay at the garden for a long time and are owner is the richest owner he's not moving us i see maybe 3-4 teams going over seas kings go to seattle bobcats to Barcelona i could see

NYYCowboys
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
There will be no expansion anytime soon.

Blazers#1Fan
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I didnt mean seattle as overseas just which teams move

Gritz
08-16-2012, 03:00 PM
yea, lets add 6 more Charlotte Bobcats

knicks=love
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
this won't happen

Dade County
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM
just crazy