PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Sleeper Team ??

Matter.
08-16-2012, 02:57 AM
I dont know if this was Posted before but I havent been on for a while...

Who do you think is the surprise sleeper team in the West and the East?

dalton749
08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Torontooooooo Raptorssss

Federal Reserve
08-16-2012, 11:59 AM
The Lakers and Nets may surprise people and reach the Conference Finals of their respective conference. But it's a long shot if you ask me.

Kashmir13579
08-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Twolves and Rockets.

I think the Twolves are good enough to make a run in the playoffs and i think the Rockets could make the playoffs. Never count Lin out.

SteBO
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
T-Wolves in the west for sure. Maybe the Cavs or Raptors in the east. I think Kyrie Irving is going to surprise a lot of people this upcoming year.

xxplayerxx23
08-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Wow you really went bold on us federal. Anyway. I have the Nuggets as serious contenders, but if that was already known Ill go West:GSW East:Raps.

D12 fan
08-16-2012, 12:04 PM
The Lakers and Nets may surprise people and reach the Conference Finals of their respective conference. But it's a long shot if you ask me.

How would he Lakers be a surprise team when everybody expects them to to make it to the WCF/Finals?

Philly/Denver could surprise a lot of teams.

asandhu23
08-16-2012, 12:07 PM

uh.....

Max.This
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Denver. I think this upcoming season is a breakout for mcgee

DoMeFavors
08-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Raptors arent going to be a suprise team, here you all go saying raptors. Its going to be the same thing it always is they will win probably 20 games. Everyone always calls the Twolves a suprise team but they have yet to make the playoffs.

29$JerZ
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
In the West I'd say Golden State. All depends on health. I expect the T-Wolves to make the playoffs if Rubio is back healthy and the Suns should be in the mix.

In the East I'd say Toronto. They are likely going to be the 4th best team in the Atlantic with their new additions.

xxplayerxx23
08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Raptors arent going to be a suprise team, here you all go saying raptors. Its going to be the same thing it always is they will win probably 20 games. Everyone always calls the Twolves a suprise team but they have yet to make the playoffs.

It depends on health. Very solid bench they have. added Lowry and Fields.Lowry is a monster when healthy.

DoMeFavors
08-16-2012, 12:46 PM
It depends on health. Very solid bench they have. added Lowry and Fields.Lowry is a monster when healthy.

Lets not get carried away and say monster, this is a guy that has never achived anything in his career.

dalton749
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
And the nets will win 60 right? Haha
I'd be willing to bet the Raps win 3 of 4 against the nets.
And there's nothing u can say from here on out that won't be replied to with: who lets ben uzoh get a triple double?

bluefire7002
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Denver. I think this upcoming season is a breakout for mcgee

THIS. They quietly got a lot better this off-season and will at least make it to the 2nd round this time around (as long as they avoid Lakers or Thunder).
Same thing with Philly.

xxplayerxx23
08-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Lets not get carried away and say monster, this is a guy that has never achived anything in his career.

When healthy hes known as a top 3 or 4 defesnive PG in the league. He has been improving his offesneive game and is anywhere from 7-10 in the PG rankings. That bench is very nice and Joans I think is going to be good right out of the gate.

Swashcuff
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
In the West I'd say Golden State. All depends on health. I expect the T-Wolves to make the playoffs if Rubio is back healthy and the Suns should be in the mix.

In the East I'd say Toronto. They are likely going to be the 4th best team in the Atlantic with their new additions.

Thanks now I don't have to type all that.

Rivera
08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
My orlando magic

Nah but seriously ill go with :

Golden State
Milwaukee Bucks
Washington Wizards
Detroit Pistons
Toronto Raptors

For some reason i also like portland. I have pretty high expectations for lillard and if he is the truth like how i think he might be lillar-matthews-batum-aldridge isnt a bad 4

DoMeFavors
08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
When healthy hes known as a top 3 or 4 defesnive PG in the league. He has been improving his offesneive game and is anywhere from 7-10 in the PG rankings. That bench is very nice and Joans I think is going to be good right out of the gate.

Whos on the bench?

A top 7-10 pg doesnt get you to the playoffs, they have no top talent at any position.

Plus I dont see all 5 atlantic teams making the playoffs. Especially when the other 2 divisions get atleast 1 playoff team.

rasheed34
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM

UR Crazy son Nets aint going anywhere, JJ is like VC, he aint shiznit but an over paid hass been cuz of Nash

danidin
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Hornets will make the playoffs

eternal slumber
08-16-2012, 01:02 PM
i have Wolves as my surprise team, if their healthy. i have them seventh in the west ahead of Dallas, Golden State, Utah and Portland.

b_russ
08-16-2012, 01:05 PM
East: Wizards
West: Grizzlies

Purple&Gold24
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
East: Sixers!!

West: Wolvies!!

eternal slumber
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
i have to agree with DoMeFavors here. Raptors added some nice pieces but i still don't think they'll be a playoff team.

Heat
Celtics
Pacers
Nets
Knicks
Sixers
Bulls
Hawks

those teams will make the playoffs

EDUTEXANS
08-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Surprise sleeper team to what? Make the playoffs or challange for the championship?

WhyEvenBother
08-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Hornets will make the playoffs

:eyebrow: good one .....:speechless: hes serious! :bang:

give me a scenario in which this is possible?
1.Thunder
2. Lakers
3. Clippers
4. Spurs
5. Nuggets
No arguements yet right? hope not
6. Memphis
7. Wolves
8. Mavs
dont see any hornets yet but who knows! maybe they will be in the race
9. Jazz
10. Warriors
11. Pheonix
12. Blazers
Oh i guess not ... turns out your just reallly realllllllly dumb
:guns: :faint:

Avenged
08-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Lakers are a sleeper team? We go from overrated to underrated.

D12 fan
08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Lakers are a sleeper team? We go from overrated to underrated.

lol gotta love the haters.

fadedmario
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Pistons:

Greg Monroe is about to explode this year. Added to the arsenal this off-season.

@Keith_Langlois

In the gym: Kim English, Khris Middleton, Greg Monroe and Rodney Stuckey all working on something different

Monroe working around perimeter just had an outstanding session. Looked positively Lanier-like, banking 20-fters, dropping them effortlessly

C- Drummond
PF- Monroe
SF- Prince
SG- Stuckey
PG- Knight
6th- Jerebko
7th- Maggette
8th- English
9th- Slava
10th- Maxiell
11th- Singler
12th- Daye
13th- Villanueva
14th- Bynum
15th- Middleton

StarvingKnick22
08-16-2012, 02:58 PM
raps, Nuggets, and in some situations, NOLA. Pretty deep team just a weak Bench...

Lake_Show2416
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
raps, Nuggets, and in some situations, NOLA. Pretty deep team just a weak Bench...

:confused:

fadedmario
08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
:confused:

x2 haha

Burgo
08-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Golden State in the West and maybe Washington in the East

DeyAce
08-16-2012, 03:06 PM
E: Wizards
W: Nuggets

C_Mund
08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Whos on the bench?

A top 7-10 pg doesnt get you to the playoffs, they have no top talent at any position.

Plus I dont see all 5 atlantic teams making the playoffs. Especially when the other 2 divisions get atleast 1 playoff team.

Jose Calderon is, along with Andre Miller and Kidd one of the best backup pg's in the L, Linas Kleiza is finally healthy following his knee surgery a year and a half ago and performed well in the Olympics, Jonas will be a project but will be a great asset off the bench to start his career, Ross was a top-ten pick (although some will argue he shouldn't have been) that will probably challenge Derozan for the starting 2 by the end of the year, and Amir Johnson is one of the more efficient 2-way pf's in the league. That's who's on the bench.
Besides, how much better did the Nets get with two of the more overpaid players in the game? As far as I know they didn't add as much as the Raps and finished with a worse record last year, so......

DoMeFavors
08-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Jose Calderon is, along with Andre Miller and Kidd one of the best backup pg's in the L, Linas Kleiza is finally healthy following his knee surgery a year and a half ago and performed well in the Olympics, Jonas will be a project but will be a great asset off the bench to start his career, Ross was a top-ten pick (although some will argue he shouldn't have been) that will probably challenge Derozan for the starting 2 by the end of the year, and Amir Johnson is one of the more efficient 2-way pf's in the league. That's who's on the bench.
Besides, how much better did the Nets get with two of the more overpaid players in the game? As far as I know they didn't add as much as the Raps and finished with a worse record last year, so......

They added a lot more than the raptors when did the raptors add an all star? Or get their center back that played 5 games or Gerald Wallace?
And who cares about backup pgs? Backup pgs dont play a lot of minutes so whats the big deal? Look at Nets roster and look at raptors roster HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Gagan136
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Denver and G state

C_Mund
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
They added a lot more than the raptors when did the raptors add an all star? Or get their center back that played 5 games or Gerald Wallace?
And who cares about backup pgs? Backup pgs dont play a lot of minutes so whats the big deal? Look at Nets roster and look at raptors roster HUGE DIFFERENCE.

You asked who was on their bench and I told you. The Raps won the Atlantic a few years back because TJ Ford and Calderon were KILLING teams since there was virtually no drop-off from first to second string. That was the biggest difference between them and everybody else, the point guard production for 48 minutes was better than any other team, even those with All-NBA players at that position.

Plus they're getting back their pf who played less than half of last season and was playing at a near-allstar level before the injury, which will more or less be a wash with Lopez coming back.

Also there's a good chance that with Rose out Lowry could challenge for a guard spot behind Williams and Rondo on the all-star team, he's a phenominal defender and averaged nearly 5rpg from the pg spot in the bigger Western conference while splitting time with Dragic.

Gerald Wallace has been on the decline for a couple of years and had a barely league-average PER last year. Still really like him as a player but his impact isn't what it was in 2008.

I'm not contesting that the Raps will be better than the nets but I don't think it's going to be as far off as some people think. Besides, this is a "DARK HORSE" thread, for teams that may surprise people. Not for fans to come in and pat themselves on the back for the high expectations placed on them.

oballers
08-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Indiana & NY only in that either have the talent to topple the top 2 in the league but will not be likely to do so, though who knows.

As far as true sleepers - Mil, Wash & Philly in the east, poss TOR

The anti-sleepers (disapointments) will be ATL & CHI

Western cof sleepers are - DEN, GSW, MIN, UT

The anti-sleepers are - HOU, SAC

StarvingKnick22
08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
I mean think about it. NOLA lost defense in losing CP3 but gained Offense AND good Defense in the draft.

jp611
08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Golden state
New Orleans
Portland
Washington

2-ONE-5
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Nuggets could be a contender is all goes right, GS could be a top 6 team. in the East the Wiz and Raps could grab a low playoff spot.

RonE Coleman
08-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Nets suck. You are dumb. Go away

WhiteSoxGod
08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
The Rockets could be a surprise team if their young players play well enough. I actually hope not because I want a top 3 pick next year but potential could turn into performance.

Raph12
08-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Dude your Knicks suck, get over it...

ohreally
08-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Golden State in the West and maybe Washington in the East

Golden State and Denver in the West. Wizards, Cavs, Sixers, Nets, and in the regular season, maybe even the Bucks in the East. The East really seems totally unpredictable to me after Miami and Boston. Lots of teams with potential that could blossom or bust. But right now, yeah, Washington seems like a team that could really take off.

RipCity32
08-16-2012, 11:42 PM
I like GS in the west and Detroit in the East

ohreally
08-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Nets suck. You are dumb. Go away

Nets have issues on the defensive end, but offensively they look very good, and I think both their new Euro guys will contribute in different ways and Teletovic should feast with the attention that will need to be given to others. In the regular season you can win a lot of games if you can really excel on one end of the floor and particularly if you can excel on the offensive end.

Rockwilderz
08-16-2012, 11:55 PM
I Think THE RAPS but I'm not a homer.

So

EAST: Washington Wizards

WEST: Golden State Warriors

mrblisterdundee
08-17-2012, 12:04 AM
With how much everyone is obsessing over Los Angeles and Miami, you could almost say that Oklahoma City is a sleeper to win the championship. It can happen. You take a team with the Thunders' chemistry and one more year of experience (and a first-time finals experience behind them) and they can beat anyone.

Mave1002
08-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Gsw

todu82
08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Toronto in the East and Minnesota in the West.

Vinylman
08-17-2012, 11:09 AM
The question is to vague but if you are talking about teams that will perform better than expectations i would have to go with

E. Wizards
W. Jazz

EasternStar
08-17-2012, 11:15 AM
East: 76ers (With or before Bynum)
West: T-Wolves

futureman
08-17-2012, 11:20 AM
The Rockets????? They lost their 3 best players and replaced them with junk. They will be contenders for the 1st pick in the draft this year. They will fall short because orlando lost their star this year and there is a very odd pattern the last 2 years of teams who lose their mega stars, winning the lottery.

koreancabbage
08-17-2012, 11:23 AM

huge difference in roster but wouldn't be surprised if both had the same or similar results.

Not including Toronto, The nets have the "worst" team of the 4 including Philly, Celts, Knicks. Heck, they (the nets) might not even make the playoffs.

futureman
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Golden state tanks every year. They will be contenders for the lottery also. They brought in players with zero playoff experience. Those players don't win games they put up big numbers on teams who lose night in and night out. Why would that change all of the sudden? makes no sense.

dalton749
08-17-2012, 11:26 AM
The rockets will be terrabad

futureman
08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
The jazz only got better this offseason.

Would somebody PLEASE explain how Harris, Howard (who was their starter last year and can't get a contract) and Miles are better than Mo williams, Randy Foye and Marvin Williams? These are 3 guys that help their team win Mo williams in the playoffs last year especially. I would like to hear any sort of alogical argument how these new additions make the jazz worse because I think what is being said is being based of homerism and stupidity.

EasternStar
08-17-2012, 11:33 AM
huge difference in roster but wouldn't be surprised if both had the same or similar results.

Not including Toronto, The nets have the "worst" team of the 4 including Philly, Celts, Knicks. Heck, they (the nets) might not even make the playoffs.

:pity: I hope that's not a guarantee. I think the Nets will be a dangerous team. I just don't think they'll make the Eastern Conference Finals or even the NBA Finals IMO.

EasternStar
08-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I like GS in the west and Detroit in the East

GS is a good pick. Detroit, Meh.
Led Zep: HELL YEAH! Now your'e talking my style of music!:cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm2-K6ttHYs

Ill21
08-17-2012, 12:39 PM

So you think there is a chance for the raptors to be better than the Knicks, Celtics, Raptors or 76ers? No way, 5 th place is where the Raptors will be and the other 4 teams will be fighting for 1-4.

Alayla
08-19-2012, 07:17 AM
:eyebrow: good one .....:speechless: hes serious! :bang:

give me a scenario in which this is possible?
1.Thunder
2. Lakers
3. Clippers
4. Spurs
5. Nuggets
No arguements yet right? hope not
6. Memphis
7. Wolves
8. Mavs
dont see any hornets yet but who knows! maybe they will be in the race
9. Jazz
10. Warriors
11. Pheonix
12. Blazers
Oh i guess not ... turns out your just reallly realllllllly dumb
:guns: :faint:

this is where i have to disagree that have more talent on paper then those 2 teams

Heediot
08-19-2012, 07:20 AM
East: Wizards

West: Warriors

Dade County
08-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Sleepers:

Wizards

T Wolves

Golden State

Mr.ATLHawks
08-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Surprise Winners:

Wizards(they played well at the end of the year last year and have added Okafor and Beal and gotten rid of the poor attitudes. I think this will be Wall's breakout year)

Bobcats(now hold on before you bash me. They were in alot of close games last year. I think MKG is a stud and they have added some much needed scoring. Playoff team..no, but I think they manage to win 30 games this year)

Kings(Aaron Brooks, Reke, Cousins, Thomas Robinson, Jimmer....we'll see)

T'Wolves(for obvious reasons...young core and you added AK-47 and Brandon Roy)

Knicks(Kidd helps that roster mold and gets Amare back involved, and makes Melo a tad more efficient)

Biggest Losers

Lakers(in the end IMO not enough off the bench, Kobe a year older, DH cant finish games)

Thunder(the Westbrook vs Durant realtionship continues to strain, they either look to move Westy or Harden by the deadline)

Nets(They learn JJ is a 31+year old 40% jump shooter who cant get to the basket, and Deron Williams continues to work his way out of the Best PG conversation...Backcourt shoots under 42% for the year)

Orlando(for obvious reasons)

Mr.ATLHawks
08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
The jazz only got better this offseason.

Would somebody PLEASE explain how Harris, Howard (who was their starter last year and can't get a contract) and Miles are better than Mo williams, Randy Foye and Marvin Williams? These are 3 guys that help their team win Mo williams in the playoffs last year especially. I would like to hear any sort of alogical argument how these new additions make the jazz worse because I think what is being said is being based of homerism and stupidity.

Marvin Williams is a bum man..He plays great one game then you dont hear his name for the next 5 games.

BklynKnicks3
08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
wizards/warriors/suns

futureman
08-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Marvin Williams is a bum man..He plays great one game then you dont hear his name for the next 5 games.

Still doesn't answer my question on how he isn't better than miles or howard.

Vampirate
08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
So you think there is a chance for the raptors to be better than the Knicks, Celtics, Raptors or 76ers? No way, 5 th place is where the Raptors will be and the other 4 teams will be fighting for 1-4.

What?

Also the season hasn't played itself out yet. The Raptors could be better than advertised, and the one of the other 4 could be worse. There's also injuries which can derail any team.

dc5jdm
08-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Am I crazy for thinking that the nuggets can beat the thunder in a close 7 game series?

JNoel
08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Wizards.

chitownredbulls
08-19-2012, 11:12 PM
West:
Kings
T-wolves

East:
Nets

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 11:38 PM
:pity: I hope that's not a guarantee. I think the Nets will be a dangerous team. I just don't think they'll make the Eastern Conference Finals or even the NBA Finals IMO.

well its very likely. if all the teams beat each other evenly against each other, and fair somewhat similar against everyone else. I don't think any of the Atlantic teams can touch Miami as of right till proven other wise. All the teams in the Atlantic all have their chinks in their armour. I think they all have a chance to do great things but at the same time, the set up for failure is huge as well. Wouldn't be surprised if 1 or even 2 teams falter of either Philly, NY or Brooklyn.

Even last year proved that. NY was out of the playoffs before the Lin show began and without Melo, Philly did amazing the first half but fizzled 2nd half. Nets are unproven and this could be the smartest thing ever or the dumbest thing to do (Brook Lopez to a max contract and got JJ's massive contract). Boston has been steadily the class of the Atlantic division, even though they have been written off every year with the same excuse "they're too old" but they keep winning.

tapajafri
08-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Sacramento Kings. Lot of young talent there... Demarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, Marcus Thornton, Isaiah Thomas, Jimmer Fredette, and Thomas Robinson from Kansas.

Also the T-Wolves with some notable names like Kevin Love. They have a great great coach in Rick Adelman too. Two sleeper teams Sac and Minny

koreancabbage
08-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Surprise Winners:

Wizards(they played well at the end of the year last year and have added Okafor and Beal and gotten rid of the poor attitudes. I think this will be Wall's breakout year) I love their chances to get the 8th spot

Bobcats(now hold on before you bash me. They were in alot of close games last year. I think MKG is a stud and they have added some much needed scoring. Playoff team..no, but I think they manage to win 30 games this year)
nothing is going to go well. 30 wins? try 20 wins if they are lucky. MKG is not an offensive machine. He's all defence first but he has the ability to be a better offensive player.

Kings(Aaron Brooks, Reke, Cousins, Thomas Robinson, Jimmer....we'll see) I really like the young core and not trading Reke

T'Wolves(for obvious reasons...young core and you added AK-47 and Brandon Roy) sleeper for sure

Knicks(Kidd helps that roster mold and gets Amare back involved, and makes Melo a tad more efficient) Kidd is ancient and that offense is ran from Melo's perspective- Kidd has lost a step and showed his age last year

Biggest Losers

Lakers(in the end IMO not enough off the bench, Kobe a year older, DH cant finish games) Jamison was the answer to that. He's a 3 point shooter and a big. Answers a lot of questions really. DH doesn't have to do everything now

Thunder(the Westbrook vs Durant realtionship continues to strain, they either look to move Westy or Harden by the deadline) that core will get broken up. they just up'd Ibaka's contract to $12M per, if they extend Harden, that's at least another 12-15. There goes all the operating income with additional $25M+. Plus luxury taxes if they go over $70M? Something has to give. Realistically speaking, giving up Perkins via Amnesty really doesn't help them in terms of low post defense.

Nets(They learn JJ is a 31+year old 40% jump shooter who cant get to the basket, and Deron Williams continues to work his way out of the Best PG conversation...Backcourt shoots under 42% for the year) no depth and JJ is strictly a chucker. Lopez is soft as well but a good offensive player/option

Orlando(for obvious reasons) yup

Supamauhn
08-20-2012, 12:02 AM
You got the T-Wolves because of Rubio coming back and Keirlenko... But I think the bigger surprises will be the emergence of Sacramento to be a #8 or lower in the west and the Wizards competing in the East

Knicks4life34
08-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Golden state warriors and east Washington wizards

JusDBasics
08-20-2012, 12:07 AM
I would say the Raptors because of the additions they made to the team. Two solid rookies in Valanciunas and Ross, Landry Fields(a solid defender), Lowry, one of the best defensive PG's in the league and can also score the ball. Also with Bargnani at full strength, last year they were a .500 team with him healthy before he got injured, I see this team being a huge sleeper in the East with a chance to get the 7th seed at most.

Gram
08-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Detroit Pistons.

ACanadian
08-20-2012, 12:12 AM
East: Toronto Raptors and Detroit Pistons
West: TimberWolves

--23--
08-20-2012, 12:26 AM
GSW, Nuggets & T-wolves

49erGiantLaker
08-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Golden State Warriors

CousinsEvansDUO
08-20-2012, 12:42 AM
The kings are making the playoffs, thats a fact. You know what else is a fact?
Every team in the western conference will have to deal with the toughest, meanest, strongest, baddest big man in the whole game, DeMarcus Cousins.

flatbush knicks
08-20-2012, 12:46 AM
I think this is the year the Celtics age catches up to them and the knicks will win the division

Gram
08-20-2012, 09:51 AM
The kings are making the playoffs, thats a fact. You know what else is a fact?
Every team in the western conference will have to deal with the toughest, meanest, strongest, baddest big man in the whole game, DeMarcus Cousins.

Guru. :facepalm:

futureman
08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
When has Jarrett Jack helped his team win? NEVER. He has lost everwhere he's been. If you call his last season a success, how many games did NO win? Having a triple double and losing the game doesn't count for anything. Basketball thinking is so medeval when people just care about numbers and not wins. Has Bill James taught you guys anything? Good Heavens!

BTW what has Minnestoa proved? Nothing. They played the Lakers in the finals of the Offseason championship. They will be a losing team now and forever because their ownership does not want to win. They have to change the entire culture.