PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mock Offseason Conference Semifinals: 2 Boston Celtics vs. 6 Milwaukee Bucks

Catfish1314
08-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site were randomly assigned the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2012 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Celtics have homecourt advantage in this Eastern Conference Semifinal series.

Celtics Depth Chart:

PG-Deron Williams/Kirk Hinrich/Scott Machado
SG-James Harden/Arron Afflalo/Alec Burks
SF-Jared Dudley/Jeff Green
PF-Paul Millsap/Darrell Arthur/Royce White
C-Marcin Gortat/Fab Melo

Bucks Depth Chart:

C-Joakim Noah/Nazr Mohammed/Mehmet Okur
PF-Carlos Boozer/Jason Maxiell
SF-Gerald Wallace/Carlos Delfino
SG-Monta Ellis/Delonte West/Vince Carter
PG-Andre Miller/C.J. Watson

Bucks Write-up:

Back-Court

PG: Andre Miller vs. Deron Williams - Deron is clearly the superstar. He is the better player. He is the leader of their team, but he dropped off a bit in production last season. Miller can easily stick with Deron and disrupt his game a bit. Miller can also go off on scoring as well when he wants to. Let's look at their individual statistics.

Miller:
9.7 ppg, 6.7 apg, 3.3 rpg, 1.0 spg, 43.8 FG%, 21.7 3PT %, 81.1 FT %
Deron:
21 ppg, 8.7 apg, 3.3 rpg, 1.2 spg, 40.7 FG %, 33.6 3PT %, 84.3 FT %

When looking at individual stats, it's basically what we already know. Deron is the go to option for many of the teams he has been on, which is why his numbers are more inflated as opposed to Miller who is a 3rd/4th option on the teams he has been on. He however can score when needed and can hit the mid range shot with ease. He is the better FG shooter than Deron, but that's because Deron shoots a lot more than Miller. On this team, Miller won't be needed to shoot much, but when he does shoot, he will be efficient.

SG: Monta Ellis vs. James Harden - Ellis is our main scoring option. He will be the go to player and will put up most of the shots. He should get his shots as well since Harden isn't all that great defensively. Aside from the calls he gets from flopping, he isn't all that gifted on the defensive end. Him being forced to start on this Celtic team will also cause a major change in his numbers. He will be forced to guard the opponents starting shooting guard every night as opposed to their bench guard. Harden has started exactly 2 games in his career. In those two games, he averaged 15 ppg, 5.5 apg, 4.2 rpg, and 3.0 tpg. As a bench player, he turned the ball over much less in the same amount of minutes. He's just more efficient as a bench player than a starter. Ellis will have a field day on Harden. If Ellis can score 30 and 10 against Shumpert, who is the much better defender, then he can definitely score on Harden, which can be seen from the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZuGNQjSVEs

SF: Gerald Wallace vs. Jared Dudley - Dudley isn't anything special. He can shoot the ball when left open and occasionally drive. With Wallace defending him, Dudley will be a non factor in this series. Even though Wallace has aged, he is still a very efficient player. According to PSD, he is arguably the 11th best SF in the league, maybe even 10th. Dudley is no where close to being named on of the best in the league. Wallace will also be one of our main scoring options in this series given the fact that we don't have that much scoring and this should be a matchup he can exploit. He still averages his usual 15/7 on 55 TS%.

Front-Court

PF: Carlos Boozer vs. Paul Millsap - Both are very good scorers in the mid range. Both are very good pick and roll players. In reality, both of these guys are very similar in style of play. Let's look at their numbers more closely.

Millsap:
16.6 PPG, 8.8 rpg, .8blkpg, with a .495 FG%
Boozer:
18.3 PPG, 10.4 rpg, .4blkpg, with a .532 FG%

Numbers don't lie. Boozer is a much better field goal percentage shooter. He is very good from the mid range and rarely misses. He is our number two option and should get his usual 18-20 points. Both aren't that great defensively so both of these players should average around their usual numbers, which can be seen from their head to head matchup
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320310004

C: Joakim Noah vs. Marcin Gortat - Noah has become one of the best defensive centers in the league due largely in part of his high energy. He can easily stop Gortat. One of the best ways to defend a pick and roll is communication. Noah has been noted as one of the best communicators in the NBA on the defensive side. Offensively, Noah has the mid range game, he can drive, he has the back to the basket game. He is also one of the best passing big men in the NBA. Noah was one of the main reasons that the Bulls unlocked the Heat's defense. In the following clip, Noah flashes high to receive the ball and quickly drives at the rim. The defense is forced to step up and the result of the play is a Boozer lay-up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlhn931bko&feature=player_embedded. Even when the Heat trapped pick and rolls featuring Noah as the screener, the Bulls still relied on him to act their facilitator. Noah receives the pass out the trap, takes one dribble in traffic (to force Wade to stay with him) before kicking out to Bogans for a wide open corner three. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGYMMEwPcFU&feature=player_embedded. Even if Ellis/Miller get trapped, Noah will be key.

Bench: Overall, we have the better depth and bench. Hinrich had a down year, Green didn't play all year, and the rest are young guys for them who have rarely received minutes. Afflalo and Arthur are the only important guys on their bench and if Arthur is inserted, they lose much needed scoring from Millsap. Afflalo is also better suited to be a starter. We have guys who can be starters on many teams. We are 15 men deep and can throw different variations of guys at the Celtics.

In the end, we will overcome all the faults people have against us. People say we won't have enough scoring. That we don't have enough defense. That Wallace has declined and isn't the player he once used to be. That perimeter shooting is a problem. Ultimately, we do overcome all that to advance. We have Ellis who can go off for 30 + if needed. We also have Boozer/Wallace to provide us with the balanced scoring attack. Defensively, we have Noah to anchor the paint and Wallace for perimeter defense. Millsap/Boozer are a wash. Noah and Wallace can handle Dudley and Gortat. We have more than enough guys to throw at Harden/Deron. The key question will be if Harden can get past his flopping and actually defend Ellis, which I highly doubt he will be able to. In the end, Bucks advance in a hard fought 7 game series.

Chacarron
08-16-2012, 02:10 AM
I really like how well-balanced that starting 5 for the Celtics is. I can't believe I actually voted for the Celtics....

PocketKings
08-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Celtics didn't provide a write-up? That is extremely, extremely disappointing to say the least.

Even with that said though, I won't cast my vote in this match-up as we will be facing the winner.

Best of luck to both teams and I look forward to some debate in this match-up thread!

I look forward to the eventual match-up!

Catfish1314
08-16-2012, 02:24 AM
I stalled for them but it had to go up tonight. Wouldn't have been fair to phlp and BN1F.

PocketKings
08-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Agreed on that point, CF.

IndyHeatjman
08-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Bucks have a better starting Frontcourt, but the Celtics have better starting guards. I still think Ellis can fill it up despite the elite guards of the celtics. So i voted Bucks, but series could go the distance to seven games IMO.

Chacarron
08-16-2012, 04:10 AM
Writeups are boring to make. I am glad I teamed up with Catfish in the last re-draft.

DaddyCool
08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Can't vote for someone who didn't bother turning in a writeup.

Mr. Baller
08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Can't vote for someone who didn't bother turning in a writeup.

This. Bucks got my vote

phlp_bj
08-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Writeups are boring to make. I am glad I teamed up with Catfish in the last re-draft.

hate doing writeups, but then again, it's interesting to compare guys

phlp_bj
08-16-2012, 11:25 AM
By voting for the Bucks, Monta will teach you this handshake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qJcvOQmuXY

Leggo Bucks!

PhillyLuver
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't like that the Celts didn't do a writeup, but I think you could argue that they have the advantage at every position. Have to go with them.

Super.
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't like that the Celts didn't do a writeup, but I think you could argue that they have the advantage at every position. Have to go with them.

and their bench is so much deeper.

In a close 7 game series the Celtics take it

xxplayerxx23
08-16-2012, 08:01 PM
I thought this was going to be closer :cry:

nyanks79
08-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Completely my fault on the no write up. Ive been really busy with my work and doing some stuff I didnt expect. Sorry to catfish as well as I asked him to give me alittle cause I was gonna do it yesterday quick and I knocked out.

xxplayerxx23
08-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Completely my fault on the no write up. Ive been really busy with my work and doing some stuff I didnt expect. Sorry to catfish as well as I asked him to give me alittle cause I was gonna do it yesterday quick and I knocked out.

No excuse :pity: lol Nah Im joking all good, you need a real good one against the Pacers.