PDA

View Full Version : Mike Krzyzewski: LeBron 'most unique player' ever

naps
08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
The embrace they shared Sunday in London after their gold-medal moment was heartfelt. So is the enduring impression LeBron James left with U.S. Olympic coach Mike Krzyzewski.

"He's the most unique player to ever play basketball," the Duke coach said Wednesday of the Miami Heat forward, "because he can play every position, both offensively and defensively."

Appearing on ESPN Radio, Krzyzewski was effusive in his praise.

"I love LeBron," Krzyzewski said. "He was our leader. He's the best player on this planet. And I think he can even get better, as he accomplishes more."

On a team that included Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant and Chris Paul, Krzyzewski said James was a cut above.

"We can rave about his physical talents, but they're matched, they're definitely matched, by his leadership qualities and his brilliance," he said. "He's a really, really smart guy. Right now, he's in command of all those things.

"He has a great heart, great mind, great voice and a great body. No one has had all of that. I can't say anything more than that about him. I mean, he's the best."

For a player who had been criticized prior to the Heat's 2012 NBA championship run for shying from the big moment, Krzyzewski said James seized such moments for the national team.

"He wanted the ball," he said. "He not only wanted the ball at the end of a ball game and completed the plays and hit shots, but he made plays, he made plays."

Just as he did for the Heat during their championship run, James often was cast as a point-power forward or point center in the Olympics.

"When LeBron plays at the four or five, he's behind a team," Krzyzewski said of the uniqueness of such an alignment. "And when he talks then, it's even more important, because he's talking to guys who have their backs turned to you, his teammates, and he's giving them instruction and he's giving them guidance.

"And for him to be able to talk to a team from behind a team is an unbelievably unique situation. And he knows what he's talking about."

LINK (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/heat-blog/sfl-miami-heat-lebron-james-s081612,0,7291626.story).

THINKBLUE15
08-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Wow. Unreal. GOAT. Remarkable. Damn. Awesome.

D12 fan
08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Lebron is truly the KING.

seikou8
08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
:facepalm::facepalm: stop wtih lebron threads you happy he is goat

naps
08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
:facepalm::facepalm: stop wtih lebron threads you happy he is goat

This is a legit thread unlike most other hypothetical threads. National team coach shared his opinions on LeBron's uniqueness, I didn't make it up :facepalm: If you don't like hearing people giving LeBron credit then don't bother clicking on it. Pretty simple.

Hawkeye15
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
He didn't say anything that isn't true. LeBron is the best player on the planet. Has been for 4 years, probably will be another few.

justinnum1
08-15-2012, 08:36 PM
beast

Andrew32
08-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Lebron is da bess.

EDUTEXANS
08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
agreed

Aust
08-15-2012, 08:42 PM
idk man Luke Walton was pretty darn unique

JJ_JKidd
08-15-2012, 08:42 PM
LINK (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/heat-blog/sfl-miami-heat-lebron-james-s081612,0,7291626.story).

Game is evolving indeed. Won be long till we see a 7 foot 2 play like he does. But please, can we stop using the word (greatest of) ALL TIME? Can we just use GREATEST OF HIS GENERATION?

ThunderousDemon
08-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

naps
08-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Game is evolving indeed. Won be long till we see a 7 foot 2 play like he does. But please, can we stop using the word (greatest of) ALL TIME? Can we just use GREATEST OF HIS GENERATION?

Well, since you quoted me, where did I mention those capitalized^^ word/phrase :confused:

EDIT: May be you were talking to Coach K?

dnewguy
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
It's what it is...the competition around Lebron was terrible though, No Wade or Howard. He had to compete with the likes of Kobe, Durant and Carmelo...it seem just like a re-run of the republican primary....your choices were limited to Herman Cain, Santorum, Michele Bachman, Perry and Romney...off course they had no choice but to pick the Massachusetts flip flopper.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I feel like I'm drowning in hyperbole today. Lebron is the best player playing. He might be the GOAT. But he is not the most unique player ever. Dennis Rodman is. We will likely never again see a player average 18rpg two years in a row through positioning instead of athelticism, who was a fantastic defender and yet turned down layups.

dnewguy
08-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I feel like I'm drowning in hyperbole today. Lebron is the best player playing. He might be the GOAT. But he is not the most unique player ever. Dennis Rodman is. We will likely never again see a player average 18rpg two years in a row through positioning instead of athelticism, who was a fantastic defender and yet turned down layups.

You don't know what unique means, do you?

LoveMeOrHateMe
08-15-2012, 08:53 PM
This is ****en getting annoying can we have like a Lebron appreciation thread and a Kobe one as well so there we can post whatever article praises them, seriously there are so many Lebron riders right now it's not even funny

Aust
08-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Merge all these threads into the Kobe and Lebron Appreciation Thread?

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 08:55 PM
You don't know what unique means, do you?

Will you ever see another player like Lebron? Yes. Will he be as good? Probably not.

Will you ever see another player like Rodman? Very unlikely.

Do YOU know what unique means? Because it doesn't mean best, or greatest, or most dominant.

justinnum1
08-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Will you ever see another player like Lebron? Yes. Will he be as good? Probably not.

Do YOU know what unique means? Because it doesn't mean best, or greatest, or most dominant.

faried will be the closest thing we see to another rodman

dnewguy
08-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Do YOU know what unique means?

Like I said, you have no clue what "unique" is. If we will see another Lebron but the person won't be as good, then there are already a lot of Rodman's but not as good. Ronny Turiaf comes to mind.

Ezio
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
He's a freak of nature is what Coach K is saying.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Like I said, you have no clue what "unique" is. If we will see another Lebron but the person won't be as good, then there are already a lot of Rodman's but not as good. Ronny Turiaf comes to mind.

Ronny Turiaf is nothing like Rodman. Dennis is 6'7" 210lbs. His skillset and mentality for his size and bodytype have never been duplicated.

Lebron on the other hand has several players with similar body types and skillsets, they're just not on his level.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:03 PM
faried will be the closest thing we see to another rodman

Faried has an aggressive attacking offensive mentality. Rodman could not have cared less about offense.

dnewguy
08-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Ronny Turiaf is nothing like Rodman. Dennis is 6'7" 210lbs. His skillset and mentality for his size and bodytype have never been duplicated.

Lebron on the other hand has several players with similar body types and skillsets, they're just not on his level.

name one that can play all 5 positions...in NBA history. Magic can play 3 positions (pg, pf and C) but none can play all 5 both ways. I can give you 10 players like Rodman from the NBA and another 10 in the D league...just saying. Nothing unique about Rodman, he's just a poor man's Charles Barkley.

Aust
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
If the NBA is is still around 100 years from now, of course we'll see better and more unique players. If MJ and Lebron can come in a 20 year period, I'm sure it's possible. Especially with the amazing technology we're going to have, a player's career will last much longer.

Kinda went off topic, but bleh

D12 fan
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Lebron=Magic Johnson/Penny Hardaway on steroids.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
name one that can play all 5 positions...in NBA history. Magic can play 3 positions (pg, pf and C) but none can play all 5 both ways. I can give you 10 players like Rodman from the NBA and another 10 in the D league...just saying. Nothing unique about Rodman, he's just a poor man's Charles Barkley.

Magic could and did play every position on the floor at one time or another.

Charles Barkley was nothing like Rodman. Barkley relied on brute strength to move people around, and again was a fantastic offensive player. Rodman was a positional rebounder who fought for every rebound, and again, passed up layups.

And once again, unique does not mean best.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Also, while I don't regularly watch the Heat, I don't think I've ever seen Lebron play a full quarter as the PG, let alone a whole game.

justinnum1
08-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Also, while I don't regularly watch the Heat, I don't think I've ever seen Lebron play a full quarter as the PG, let alone a whole game.

well he does. he doesnt guard PG's but he is the one handling the rock

also, look at faried's rookie numbers and rodmans rookie numbers...scary how similar they look

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:21 PM
well he does. he doesnt guard PG's but he is the one handling the rock

also, look at faried's rookie numbers and rodmans rookie numbers...scary how similar they look

So...he only plays PG for half the quarter, since he doesn't play it on D continuously.

PC
08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Well yea, his combination of speed, size, strength, etc. in one word is freakish. In all likelihood I'm not going to see a player like him again in my lifetime

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Looks like I'm picking a fight. On Elgin Baylor:

Tommy Hawkins, Baylor's teammate for six seasons and opponent for four (and later a basketball broadcaster) declared to the San Francisco Examiner that "pound for pound, no one was ever as great as Elgin Baylor." "Elgin certainly didn't jump as high as Michael Jordan", Hawkins told the San Francisco Examiner. "But he had the greatest variety of shots of anyone. He would take it in and hang and shoot from all these angles. Put spin on the ball. Elgin had incredible strength. He could post up Bill Russell. He could pass like Magic [Johnson] and dribble with the best guards in the league."

Sound familiar?

Aust
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Elgin Baylor doesn't get much respect due to his era. Only the fossils can keep his name alive :(

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:28 PM
And it would always drive me nuts when the Pacers would play the Bulls and they'd put Scottie Pippen on Mark Jackson. He initiated the offense for the Bulls as much as MJ did. It certainly wasn't Steve Kerr or John Paxson handling the rock. Pippen is the most famous point forward, a top defender, and an amazing scorer from all over the floor, especially getting to the rim.

Does that sound familiar?

Chi StateOfMind
08-15-2012, 09:29 PM
He didn't say anything that isn't true. LeBron is the best player on the planet. Has been for 4 years, probably will be another few.

This..

dnewguy
08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Elgin Baylor doesn't get much respect due to his era. Only the fossils can keep his name alive :(

I goggled his name...well, people that searched for him also searched for Abraham Lincoln, Federick Douglass etc. The Man was around before basketball...not many people know who he is.

Avenged
08-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Lebron is unique, yes. Not many players with his talent.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Another more recent example of the hyperathletic ballhandling SF is the human highlight reel, Dominique Wilkins. Crazy strong, could jump out of the gym, and a fantastic slasher who developed a 3pt shot later in his career. Never had a great supporting cast and couldn't carry his team all the way.

Yanks All Day
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Coach K didn't say anything that isn't true. He can play 5 positions, both offensively and defensively, consistently. I tend to side with one of the greatest coaches of all time and a true basketball genius over PSD "experts." Just because you don't want LeBron to be great doesn't mean he won't be. He's only 27 and probably still getting better, so enjoy what you're seeing, because not one player in history has played the game LeBron does at that level.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I goggled his name...well, people that searched for him also searched for Abraham Lincoln, Federick Douglass etc. The Man was around before basketball...not many people know who he is.

If you don't know who Elgin Baylor is, how can you argue that Lebron is "unique"? Baylor is one of the greatest players of all time, and at Lebron's position, with the same style of play.

b@llhog24
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Good to know.

SHONIE
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Half of y'all are ********... There is no such thing as a degree of uniqueness. You can't be the "most unique." You are either unique, or you are not (and to that, technically every player in the league is). Read a freaking book.
Lebron either has a unique style of play, or he does not. You can argue that he does, which puts him in that category, along with EVERY other player who has a unique game. And guess what, you can't rank them for uniqueness! You can say he has one of the most unusual, uncommon, or particular styles of play which cannot be reproduced. But he does NOT have the most unique.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unique?s=t
u·nique [yoo-neek]
adjective
1. existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.

Also: sorry Coach K... hopefully one of the Duke professors can educate you on how to properly use the word unique in a sentence, but WE STILL LOVE YOU! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

/GrammarRant

dnewguy
08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Half of y'all are ********... There is no such thing as a degree of uniqueness. You can't be the "most unique." You are either unique, or you are not (and to that, technically every player in the league is). Read a freaking book.
Lebron either has a unique style of play, or he does not. You can argue that he does, which puts him in that category, along with EVERY other player who has a unique game. And guess what, you can't rank them for uniqueness! You can say he has one of the most unusual, uncommon, or particular styles of play which cannot be reproduced. But he does NOT have the most unique.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unique?s=t
u·nique [yoo-neek]
adjective
1. existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.

Also: sorry Coach K... hopefully one of the Duke professors can educate you on how to properly use the word unique in a sentence, but WE STILL LOVE YOU! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

/GrammarRant

:facepalm:

You're making a mockery of the English language.

Longhornfan1234
08-15-2012, 10:52 PM
It's what it is...the competition around Lebron was terrible though, No Wade or Howard. He had to compete with the likes of Kobe, Durant and Carmelo...it seem just like a re-run of the republican primary....your choices were limited to Herman Cain, Santorum, Michele Bachman, Perry and Romney...off course they had no choice but to pick the Massachusetts flip flopper.

Romney-Ryan are going to run away with this election; deal with it.

Da Knicks
08-15-2012, 11:07 PM
One title and became the goat lol. He reminds me of Pippen, when his speed and agility are not there will he have any real skill to succeed? Only time will tell.. Freak of nature just like pippen was at his time...

naps
08-15-2012, 11:17 PM
One title and became the goat lol. He reminds me of Pippen, when his speed and agility are not there will he have any real skill to succeed? Only time will tell.. Freak of nature just like pippen was at his time...

Right, but Melo is modern day Jordan :facepalm:

el hidalgo
08-15-2012, 11:23 PM

LOL the jewelry on kobe's fingers says otherwise:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:: facepalm:

uncleben989
08-15-2012, 11:30 PM
lebron raymone james

mngopher35
08-15-2012, 11:37 PM
LOL the jewelry on kobe's fingers says otherwise:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:: facepalm:

The rings say that Kobe has been on a couple of great teams? Lebron has been the best individual player in the league at least 3 out of the last 4 years. The only year I might say he wasnt is last year because he truly folded when it mattered most and he had help.

Squad13
08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Clearly! He is the biggest freak of nature to ever live in my opinion ( athletic wise) he literally has a mismatch at all times. I have moved from hating him to appreciating. He could be the best player ever he is unmatched in ability. Most athletic person in the nba by quite a bit . Respect to LeBron

Losoway
08-16-2012, 12:04 AM
its nothing legod cant do

Losoway
08-16-2012, 12:05 AM

way better then pippin

justinnum1
08-16-2012, 12:06 AM

:facepalm:

WickedBadMan
08-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I reckon there is a lower chance we see another 7 ft Asian NBA player than another Lebron.

Yao Ming retains the crown.

DreamShaker
08-16-2012, 01:21 AM
I think "versitile" is a better word. When I think unique, I think AK-47, Rodman, Chocolate Thunder, Chris Anderson, Mamuhd Abdul-Rauf, World B. Free, Mugsy Bouges, Yao Ming, and
Bill Walton. Even superstars like Barkley, Magic, Bird, Dr. J, and Dirk are more unique.

JasonJohnHorn
08-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Most unique player ever? What is that even supposed to mean? Kareem was just as unique. So was Wilt. So was Russell. So was Oscar Robertson. So was Bird and Magic. What is that even supposed to mean?

I get it.. coach K thinks he's the best player on the roster right now, but coach K didn't coach Jordan, or Magic, or Bird, ect, ect.... it's one guys who's got a boner for LBJ. So what?

naps
08-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Most unique player ever? What is that even supposed to mean? Kareem was just as unique. So was Wilt. So was Russell. So was Oscar Robertson. So was Bird and Magic. What is that even supposed to mean?

I get it.. coach K thinks he's the best player on the roster right now, but coach K didn't coach Jordan, or Magic, or Bird, ect, ect.... it's one guys who's got a boner for LBJ. So what?

Wrong. He did coach them. Go figure and read some history of the game of basketball.

chrism8188
08-16-2012, 07:13 AM

thisssssssssss

lebron is a beast but can we wait until he has rings like jordan and kobe to called greatest of or greatest ever. like we kno nobody has a chance to be better than jordan, magic

koreancabbage
08-16-2012, 08:50 AM

no we won't. we haven't seen in the past so what makes it so easy to see one in the future? in his position. I guess you can partially say you can compare Lebron with Magic skillset wise but you can't compare Magic with Lebron's size and athleticism

Rodman was indeed unique as well. just not what he did on the court. he was the spectacle himself.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Fact.

Heediot
08-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Did this guy forget that Magic Johnson played 5 positions on O and D in his career before as well?

MagicHero3
08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I think most of Lebrons perks are due to his freakish athleticism. as far as finesse and pure talent, he doesnt hold a candle to Jordan.

ziglur
08-16-2012, 10:29 AM
The reason James can play center is because there arent many good ones around. He cant against Bynum or Howard. A good center would eat him alive , hes too small. They would hit him in the chest and he would back off.

njnets
08-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Lebron is unique. He isn't saying he is the goat.

He is a freak of nature who can basically guard anyone. His athleticism is pretty much unprecedented. I dont see anything wrong with that statement.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that though...

Rockwilderz
08-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Im not Lebron hater.. but I must say that, he's lucky that he's playing at this era.. where everyone wants to be cute on the court. No more crafty , physical players. That's why a lot of people think that Lebron is something else.

smiddy012
08-17-2012, 12:41 AM
The only 2 reasons Lebron is lucky to play in this era is because of the lack of mental toughness comparatively speaking... that and the crappy refs. I think he would have gotten a ring or more in most generations unless it was the 90s, and even then Jordan retired for a couple years.

Yes Lebron is a freak, but don't forget that he is one of the best passers in the league. He has incredibly sound mechanics and understands the game as much as any player in the league bar a handful of veterans.

RipCity32
08-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Does everyone really need to be told how good Lebron is on a daily basis on this site my god.

Tmath
08-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Roids has helped Lebron tremendously.

8kobe24
08-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Agree with Coach K. Lebron is definitely a beast in this era. When this guy drives down the lane everyone just gets out of the way. Even harden wouldn't dare take a flop. I'd love to see how Lebron would fair against the physicality of the 80's.

IKnowHoops
08-17-2012, 02:03 AM

Ive never seen anyone close to what Lebron brings. Guards 1-5, plays 1-5, 6-8, 265 with cat like quickness and maybe the fastest guy in the NBA.

A guy like dennis rodman, guys who get alot of rebounds and arent very big. I can think of two off the top of my head. Ben Wallace, and Kevin Love. Kevin love gets you 15rbs plus 25 points compared to the worms 18rbs and 7pts. Ben wallace was getting 17rbs and 9pts so its about the same. So I would not even close think dennis is more unique then Lebron. Nice try though.

Aapox
08-17-2012, 02:33 AM
way better then pippin

Well duh...hobbits can't play basketball.

Vinny642
08-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Lebron is amazing, im with Coach K here

Aust
08-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Does everyone really need to be told how good Lebron is on a daily basis on this site my god.

All hail Lebron :worthy:

dodie53
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
high praises. cool.

effen5
08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Wrong. He did coach them. Go figure and read some history of the game of basketball.

yeah but when Coach K coached Mj, wasn't he still in college?

(serious question, I'm not sure)

If thats the case, its not really a fair comparison since he coached MJ before he was in the NBA and coaching Lebron in his prime.

(Again please check my facts as Im not sure if they are correct)

Heatcheck
08-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Did this guy forget that Magic Johnson played 5 positions on O and D in his career before as well?

Yeah every once in a while, rarely in his career did he play or gaurd the 5.

BobbyHillSwag
08-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Im starting to think some of these players pay people(not just the women) to suck on their dick.