PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Abdul-Jabaar criticizes Andrew Bynum

Fresno
08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Abdul-Jabbar was brought in years as a Lakers consultant to coach a young Bynum, who had size and athleticism was but was raw like sushi and didn’t know how to be a professional yet. Abdul-Jabbar worked with him for four years off-and-on, but that ended when Bynum said he had learned what he could from the six-time NBA MVP, six-time NBA champion and NBA’s all-time leading scorer. Kareem lost his gig with the Lakers and has never warmed up to Bynum in part because of it.

Abdul-Jabbar spoke to the Los Angeles Times about the new look Lakers with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash and said this.

“Dwight is very committed to playing and winning,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “Andrew has been up and down on that issue. There are times he wants to play, do a great job and he goes out and does it. Then there are other times where it seems like he’s not focused….

“When I first started working with him, he was eager to learn,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “He appreciated me shortening the learning curve. Once he figured he did everything he wanted to do in terms of learning, he didn’t want me to bother him constantly going over the fundamentals.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/15/abdul-jabbar-smacks-andrew-bynum-on-way-out-the-door/

Kareem is 100% right.

Cal827
08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
:facepalm:

Dwight committed to playing? LOL tell Orlando that.

PraiseJesus
08-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Without Kareem Bynum would not be as good as he is

Andrew32
08-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Bynum was pretty consistent last year in the playoffs.
He had maybe... 1-3 bad games in the whole playoffs.

Why do people say he isn't consistent?

Fly
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Bynum owes a lot to Kareem.

UPRock
08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
He's saying the truth about Bynum.

Aust
08-15-2012, 07:47 PM
100% truth

Gritz
08-15-2012, 07:50 PM
It is because of Kareem that Bynum developed into what he is today

Fresno
08-15-2012, 07:51 PM

Why do people say he isn't consistent?

He's not consistent because he may have put up the points & rebounds but they don't reflect how much time he spends on the floor playing unmotivated on both ends of the floor.

Just a guy who doesn't get what it takes to be great.

Federal Reserve
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Kareem had only one offensive move: the hook shoot. I've never seen Bynum do that move, which leads me to believe that Kareem didn't teach Bynum a single important thing.

YouCan'tBeatLA
08-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Kareem had only one offensive move: the hook shoot. I've never seen Bynum do that move, which leads me to believe that Kareem didn't teach Bynum a single important thing.

Nice troll post. :)

MintBerryCrunch
08-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Raw like sushi

oballerc75
08-15-2012, 08:04 PM
... And the day after that article comes out, Andrew Bynum is introduced in Philly as number 33 in honor of his mentor Kareem Abdul jabbar... So obviously no tension between them

Aust
08-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Please stop posting.

It'll be nice to have Kareem working with Dwight

MagicBucsSox
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
This is why I hate old school players, they're forever yapping.

mRc08
08-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I have never really bought into old bigs mentoring new centers. Whether it was kareem, hakeem, or ewing, I feel like their impact is a little overrated. Still, he is right about bynum's attitude.

EDUTEXANS
08-15-2012, 08:48 PM
how much time did he wait to say these things?

COOLbeans
08-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Bynum should be slapped for thinking he's learned enough from Kareem Abdul-jabaar.

Hahaha What a joke...

THE MTL
08-15-2012, 08:56 PM
U have to understand that Bynum already won 2 rings and just came off his first allstar appearance. All while being under kobe's shadow. He wanted his own team and i think on philly he's going to be very motivated.

RaiderLakersA's
08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
IIRC this isn't the first time that Kareem made a statement to this effect. No one is saying that Bynum hasn't evolved into one of the best. What he is saying is that Bynum's lack of focus is one of the challenges that the kid has to overcome if he truly wants to be great. The jury is still out on that. But maybe the light will go on in Philly, now that Bynum will clearly be "The Man."

THE MTL
08-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Bynum should be slapped for thinking he's learned enough from Kareem Abdul-jabaar.

Hahaha What a joke...

Dude its only so much a guy can teach u. U think just because kareem is a legend, bynum can jus become kareem. Its bynum playing the nba games, all kareem can do is tell him of his experiences, how to act in situations, and a few moves. Bynum has 2 rings and wants the responsible of a franchise player.

Vinylman
08-15-2012, 09:03 PM
how much time did he wait to say these things?

He has said the same thing multiple times

I am sure he was just asked again what he thought due to the trade...

People can believe what they want about bynum but KAJ is right on point and provides the main reason the Lakers traded him

championships
08-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Why do people say he isn't consistent?when you are eliminated in the second round, 3 bad games is way too many.

Kareem would know better than anyone. He was his personal coach for a couple years.

Maybe Bynum was hard headed and frustrated the Captain at times

LAKERMANIA
08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
While he was still with the Lakers, I was hoping Kobe's attitude and work ethic would rub off on Bynum, and I was hoping he would adopt Kobe's killer instinct. He hasn't and I am hoping as a fan of Andrew Bynum that he develops it in Philly, because if he doesn't he wont be able to do much there..

The killer instinct attitude is all he is missing tbh..

Aust
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
While he was still with the Lakers, I was hoping Kobe's attitude and work ethic would rub off on Bynum, and I was hoping he would adopt Kobe's killer instinct. He hasn't and I am hoping as a fan of Andrew Bynum that he develops it in Philly, because if he doesn't he wont be able to do much there..

The killer instinct attitude is all he is missing tbh..

Mmm same here.

MagicBucsSox
08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
You don't get respect for talking bout a guy WHEN HE LEAVES, that's coward basketball wives female nonsense . Screw kareem

KniCks4LiFe
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Jabaar made Bynum what he is today. But there is point where enough is enough. First off did Kareem not watch the Lakers offense? this was all Bynum's a 22/23/24 yr. old player's fault? so the 30+ yr. old that never wanted to allow him to grow, that guy is faultless in Bynum wanting out? Andrew is going to shut up a lot of people. Yes Kareem you built him, but enough. He doesn't owe you anymore.

Avenged
08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
That'll change now that he's a #1. All eyes on him in Philly.

Losoway
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
bynum is a head case

i feel bad for the sixers next year

evadatam5150
08-15-2012, 09:49 PM
This is why I hate old school players, they're forever yapping.

Dudes a hall of famer, he's earned the right to say what he wants when he wants.. When Bynum reaches all of his potential and achieves what Kareem has then he has earned the right to speak..

Mave1002
08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
He's not consistent because he may have put up the points & rebounds but they don't reflect how much time he spends on the floor playing unmotivated on both ends of the floor.

Just a guy who doesn't get what it takes to be great.

Phil Jackson probably made your sig ;)

king4day
08-15-2012, 10:06 PM
At least he said it while Bynum was on LA and called him out to motivate him.....wait....nevermind

Teeboy1487
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Kareem is speaking about Bynum's tendency to take plays off. Honestly, he did it alot because he was not getting the ball. Bynum has to become more mature on the court. He is the number one option now. He can't go around pouting like a child in Philly. He has to give it 100 percent no matter what. He needs a strong presence in the locker room that will demand his respect from a coaching standpoint or simply a leader on the team. I always felt Fisher kept him under control until he was traded. If anyone can coach Bynum, it's Doug Collins. He commands the utmost respect.

Mcdoh
08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
kareem knows best..

lakerboy
08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
I freaking hate Kareem. I've "met" him in person. He is a douchebag. That says a lot, given that Bynum is not my most favorite person in the world.

Iceman_9
08-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Bynum is an ingrate. You don't talk to a basketball God like that.

JordansBulls
08-18-2012, 10:38 PM

This. The man missed the entire playoffs and rumor was he did so on purpose.

SportsFanatic10
08-18-2012, 11:40 PM
bynum is a head case

i feel bad for the sixers next year

lol you shouldn't. i wouldn't be surprised to see them with a better seed than the nets this season.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-18-2012, 11:48 PM

That's just a flat out dumb statement from you JB. You do know the back surgeon's name was revealed during this whole ordeal? So if Dwight did actually "lie about the back surgery" and this back surgeon didn't say anything about it, then his medical name would go down the dumps.

Raph12
08-19-2012, 01:24 AM

You do know Dwight had back surgery and prior to finding out he had a herniated disc in his back, he played several games in what he described as "the most pain he's ever been in". His final game as a member of the Magic; 20pts-22rbs-6asts-1stl-2blks in 44+mins (played all but 26 secs in the second half) and that with a herniated disc.

Despite all the bs he went through both on and off the court, he put up 20.5-14.5-2-1.5-2 on 57+FG% last season, if he shot FTs like he has throughout his career (60% vs 49% last season), he'd have a career year again... Don't ever compare Dwight's effort and/or passion to Bynum's, ignorance at its finest.