PDA

View Full Version : How about Philly?

JasonJohnHorn
08-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Obviously everybody is excited to see what the Lakers are going to be able to do with the roster they put together, but Philly made a couple of aquisitions as well that seem to be flying under the radar. They gave up Iggy and got back Bynum and Jason Richardson, and Richardson is no slouch, even if he isn't as good defensively as Iggy was.

Philly lost a good PG in free agency, and the PG position is one of the most important on the floor, but with a major upgrade at center, and some depth in the front court, along with the scoring punch Richardson offers, it seems like Philly has a legit shot to move ahead in the standings this season. I am especially excited to see how Bynum responds to Doug Collins as a coach. Collins pushed Jordan to another level when he coached in Chi-town, and did the same for Grant Hill in Detroit. Bynum seems excited about Philly judging from the press conference the other day, and I think Collins is the right guy to get the most out of Bynum.

Anybody else think Philly has a shot to really make some noise this season?

xxplayerxx23
08-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Yes. If Turner and Jrue improve even more I think that they will make a lot of noise.

Burgo
08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Your starting unit just had a major overhaul. Don't expect fireworks.

First-round exit for you guys season, I think.

Swashcuff
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
We'll make a little more noise than we did last season but we still have too many weaknesses that aren't immediately mendable that would need addresses before we can move into that contender category.

Swashcuff
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Your starting unit just had a major overhaul. Don't expect fireworks.

First-round exit for you guys season, I think.

He's not a 76ers fan dude.

Cal827
08-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I expect them to finish 5th overall in the East, but be taken down by New York in the first round.

Assuming Bynum is ok and stays, they have great potential in that roster next offseason: one of the top centers in the league, young players with potential and cap space. They might be running the Atlantic in a couple of years along with the Raptors (as least this fan hopes lol :D)

Burgo
08-15-2012, 03:40 PM
He's not a 76ers fan dude.

Noted. Thanks mate. First round exit for the Sixers :)

2-ONE-5
08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
u mean for the Knicks...

xxplayerxx23
08-15-2012, 03:53 PM
What does the Knicks have to do with anything. Thats what gets me angry is no matter what the Knicks are brought up. IMO Philly can beat the Knicks if they are clicking and Bynum goes into 22 and 12 type year. Its all on Turner to improve IMO and Jrue to.

IndyRealist
Iggy was terribly underappreciated and I suspect that they won't do all that much better than last year, unless Turner makes a major jump. Jodie Meeks was a fantastic role player and Lou Williams decent too. Dorell Wright's not bad but I don't think he's ready to be starting SF, either. I think it's really going to ride on Thad Young improving, because I don't see Spencer Hawes logging major minutes at PF.

HuRRiCaNeS324
Yes. If Turner and Jrue improve even more I think that they will make a lot of noise.

This.

Jrue didn't make the jump people expected him to. He NEEDS to be that player this year.

Evan showed a lot of promise during the playoffs and i think he is finally to live up to his potential, which awarded him the 2nd overall pick.

Burgo
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
u mean for the Knicks...

No dude

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
And i think its terrible that Philly gave up more for Bynum than LA did for Dwight.

Iggy, Harkless, Vucevic is a lot. I know Iggy was bound to leave, but Harkless is gonna be good player in this league and Vucevic is a really solid player. ****ing LA got Dwight for scrap pieces.

DoMeFavors
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Bynum had Kobe and Gasol and couldnt get past the 2nd round the past 2 seasons

b@llhog24
08-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Here's to hoping that Jrue makes those Billups comparison legit this year. :pray:

Sixerlover
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
And i think its terrible that Philly gave up more for Bynum than LA did for Dwight.

Iggy, Harkless, Vucevic is a lot. I know Iggy was bound to leave, but Harkless is gonna be good player in this league and Vucevic is a really solid player. ****ing LA got Dwight for scrap pieces.

Well they could've gotten Dwight with that package, but he wasn't re-signing, so why not just grab the #2 center who's definitely re-signing.

But as someone else said. Definitely relies on Jrue and Evan this year. If they grow into serious threats, we will be difficult. Offensively, our biggest problem was the half court, which is a really big problem to have if you want to be a good team. This season we have a post monster, and when that double comes Thad and Hawes can hit that midrange J from the 4 spot, and Dorell Wright, Jason Richardson, Jrue Holiday and Nick Young can drain the 3, so we should be much better in that regard.

sixer04fan
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm mostly excited about the offense. We won't be spectacular but we finally have an actual roster that you can game plan a real offense with.

For years it's been a bunch of athletes that can't shoot and all pretty much do the same thing. There was no true low-post presence to draw in the defense and kick out to guys outside for shots. We'd have no reliable scorer to throw it down to in the post, and we'd end up forcing Iggy to try to score more in a half court set, which is probably the only weakness in his game. The result was a stagnant, inconsistent, shell of an NBA offense that would go through massive scoring droughts and couldn't hold onto leads.

Now? We finally have a reliable guy we can throw the ball to in the post and tell him to score when we need it. Bynum is going to be our rock. And we finally have a bunch of tall guys on the wing that can knock down a shot in D.Wright, N.Young, and JRich. Bynum draws the defense in, and we kick it out to the shooters who can really spread the floor. A real offense! Not to mention the growth of Jrue as a reliable scorer, the potential that Turner has shown, and good old Thad Young always causing problems for the opposing defense.

It will finally be fun to watch this team on offense. And I couldn't be more excited!

oak2455
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM

And you have Joe Johnson:clap:

oak2455
08-15-2012, 04:08 PM
But I see Philly anywhere from 3-6 seed

ThunderousDemon
08-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Joe Johnson is the key to victory.

Swashcuff
08-15-2012, 04:23 PM

The 2nd best Centre in the league and now the best big man in the east is WAYYYYYYYYYYY more valuable than Iggy, Vuc and Harkless. Vuc wasn't even a solid player. We don't know what Harkless is going to become and don't forget we also go J Rich int he deal.

Cal827
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM

If they only had Joe Johnson too... :D

Run&Gun
08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I think Turner is going to be good this year, even if he doesn't make big improvements to his game adding shooters, a low post scorer and taking out a player that is similar to him should help him a lot.

Sixers fixed a lot on their team, I expect them to start Thaddeus at PF next to Bynum in most games maybe Moultrie since he's bigger.

I think possible contenders in 2-3 years, only gripe is after Iggy leaving the three people they got back Wright, Richardon and Young are all average to bad perimeter defenders, but at least they have Bynum as a shot blocker

xPhillies08WSCx
08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Joe Johnson is the key to victory.

LMAO :clap:

xPhillies08WSCx
08-15-2012, 05:16 PM
2 names: Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner

Jrue in the playoffs was showing the scoring ability he has and the type of scorer he could become. I think Jrue is really about to have that breakout season. Nowadays everyone expects so much on young players and don't have the patience for them to grow. I actually enjoy seeing players improve their game. And Turner is finally gonna get those minutes we've been waiting for. Also makes him and Jrue the 2 players that will control the ball.

Getting Bynum is something (and most Sixers fans will feel the same) we've been waiting for. This is the future of our team and a franchise changing move. Very excited to see the future for our team.

joeyc77
08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Obviously everybody is excited to see what the Lakers are going to be able to do with the roster they put together, but Philly made a couple of aquisitions as well that seem to be flying under the radar. They gave up Iggy and got back Bynum and Jason Richardson, and Richardson is no slouch, even if he isn't as good defensively as Iggy was.

Philly lost a good PG in free agency, and the PG position is one of the most important on the floor, but with a major upgrade at center, and some depth in the front court, along with the scoring punch Richardson offers, it seems like Philly has a legit shot to move ahead in the standings this season. I am especially excited to see how Bynum responds to Doug Collins as a coach. Collins pushed Jordan to another level when he coached in Chi-town, and did the same for Grant Hill in Detroit. Bynum seems excited about Philly judging from the press conference the other day, and I think Collins is the right guy to get the most out of Bynum.

Anybody else think Philly has a shot to really make some noise this season?

If you are referring to Lou Williams, he's not really a PG. Jrue is the PG and while they lost a decent SG in Lou, they traded for and signed J Rich and N Young, who are both arguably better.

As for how the Sixers will do this season: I think it depends on the development of Jrue and ET as well as how quickly the team can gel together. I think the Sixers will definitley be a playoff team. They should finish in the 3-6 range, with 2 or 7 possible depending on how things go. Once in the playoffs, Bynum could create problems for some teams, including a team like Miami, who is not currently strong on the front line.

The Sixers did not make this trade with the hopes of winning a title this year, that is always a thought but wasn't the main thought. It was to put together what could be a good young core in Bynum, ET and Jrue, while still having the flexability to create the cap space to sign another big name as well.

SMH!
08-15-2012, 05:33 PM

If only they won the Joe Johnson sweepstakes

Alayla
08-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Noted. Thanks mate. First round exit for the Sixers :)

Lol somone is mad? its not that i disargee 100% but at the same time you are expecting for 100% certenty that a team that was a game away from the ecf is going to be a quick exit the truth is the sixers could get way better or way wrose who knows

AirJordanXVIII
08-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Do you enjoy trolling every thread?

bringinwood
08-15-2012, 07:29 PM
J-Rich and Bynum is more valuable than D12...

Vuc, Harkless, Iggy and a conditional first for Bynum and J-Rich...

Incredible deal for the Sixers...

They, arguably, made out better than the Lakers...

StarvingKnick22
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
76ers are back! :dance:

Aust
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Things are looking up for Philly