PDA

View Full Version : Will the Lakers be Top3 in both Offense and Defense?

Chronz
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
They have 3 players around Kobe who can put up a TS% of .600 and they have 2 former DPOY's on the team.

Plz note that being a top3 team in both categories isnt the same as being the best team in the league, but will they be the most well rounded 2-way team?

C-Style
08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Doubt it, top 10 4 sure!

Losoway
08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
no way . defense yes

but offense no

C-Style
08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Where did the Suns, Magic & Lakers(both ends) rank last year???

*Superman*
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I think so.

nicegoing
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Sure probably.

ThunderousDemon
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
:shrug:

AsiandudePH
08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Depends on their health?

tredigs
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Of course. Forget a TS% of 60%. Nash, Pau and Howard are all capable of flirting with a FG% of 60 in a lineup where they'll see looks like never before. Hell Kobe could flirt with 50% from the field!

...Hahhaha... obviously kidding about that last one. When flying pigs **** toads maybe.

But yes, they'll be a top 3 offensive/defensive team if they stay healthy. The wild card being the potentially very rough future Dwight could be in if his back troubles rear their ugly head. With his size, they very well could.

Although this squad reminds me quite a bit of the Payton/Malone/Kobe/Shaq Lakers, and that still did not end in a ship. And make no mistake, if they remain healthy don't win a ship this year it absolutely takes a HUGE hit on the legacies of Kobe (compared to GOATs), Dwight ("most dominant big in the league can't win with THAT cast? Loser"), and Nash (never being able to win even with rosters this stacked would be a blow).

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
no way . defense yes

but offense no

I think its the opposite. Offense yes, defense no. I think they are going to try to appease all these guys and increase the tempo so they can get their per game averages as high as possible. I think they start off playing good D but quickly get bored by it and go back to trying to outscore everyone.

Aust
08-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I'll take Top10 in both

Bruno
08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
they won't finish top three in defensive rating. Howard is a fantastic anchor, but he's going to miss games (how many?) and without him LAL isn't a very good defensive team. Kobe and Gasol have been over-rated defenders since 2009-2010. Nash will be a glaring defensive weakness, and Ron Artest is an average defender at this point in time. Ron Artest hasn't been an impact defensive player since 2010.

I'd be surprised if they finished top eight honestly.

I predict them to finish first in offensive rating.

*Superman*
08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I think its the opposite. Offense yes, defense no. I think they are going to try to appease all these guys and increase the tempo so they can get their per game averages as high as possible. I think they start off playing good D but quickly get bored by it and go back to trying to outscore everyone.

Dwight will do wonders for the defense, trust me.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-14-2012, 09:58 PM

He is our only hope. As Bruno pointed out above, he is going to have to clean up a lot of messes that Kobe and Nash leave. I hope they dont funnel everything into him and get him into foul trouble. But I am almost positive that is going to be their plan.

tredigs
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
they won't finish top three in defensive rating. Howard is a fantastic anchor, but he's going to miss games (how many?) and without him LAL isn't a very good defensive team. Kobe and Gasol have been over-rated defenders since 2009-2010. Nash will be a glaring defensive weakness, and Ron Artest is an average defender at this point in time. Ron Artest hasn't been an impact defensive player since 2010.

I'd be surprised if they finished top eight honestly.

I predict them to finish first in offensive rating.

Yeah, good point on the high probably of a decent amount of time missed by Dwight + them being so weak defensively around him. And Antawn is actually a disgustingly poor defender at this point as well. His time in Cleveland was ugly on that end. Offense sucked too, but his D was worse. Top 10 defensively would be a feat for them.

Bruno
08-14-2012, 10:03 PM

he'll do wonders, i agreew/ ya. I'd just define doing wonders as making the Lakers top ten defensively. LAL was 13th in defensive rating last season, and other than Howard- they've added no new defensive talent, and are a year older collectively (Plus Nash and Jamison)..

Howard missed 12 games for Orlando last season, and they finished 12th in defensive rating, one higher than LAL.

Guessing he misses about ten-fifteen games, I'd say LAL finishing top ten would fitting. howard is going to cover a lot of glaring weaknesses. In the back-court and with explosive PF's as well. will he be able to put a dent in the saddle of Durant or James as the defensive anchor? Artest stands no chance. That's the real question.

Swift Game
08-14-2012, 10:09 PM
They have 3 players around Kobe who can put up a TS% of .600 and they have 2 former DPOY's on the team.

Plz note that being a top3 team in both categories isnt the same as being the best team in the league, but will they be the most well rounded 2-way team?

I gotta say man, that sig is absolutely hilarious. Glen Rice looks so lost.

Bruno
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/the-inbounds-nash-howard-and-an-impossible-sword/

i liked most of this article a lot, i think you guys will to. He goes into the potential dynamic of the Nash/Howard pick and roll, and explains why it will be so big for LAL. I think the combination of the Howard/Nash pick and roll, the Nash/Pau pick and Pop, with Kobe (along with scorers and floor spreaders off the bench like Jamison and Meeks) will lead to LAL being the top ranked offensive team for 2013. Although I wouldn't be surprised if OKC lands the top spot.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Honestly, it's just a rank of regular season, means nothing.

As long as they are the best defensive team in the playoffs and an above adequate offensive team that leads to Title #17, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

*Superman*
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
he'll do wonders, i agreew/ ya. I'd just define doing wonders as making the Lakers top ten defensively. LAL was 13th in defensive rating last season, and other than Howard- they've added no new defensive talent, and are a year older collectively (Plus Nash and Jamison)..

Howard missed 12 games for Orlando last season, and they finished 12th in defensive rating, one higher than LAL.

Guessing he misses about ten-fifteen games, I'd say LAL finishing top ten would fitting. howard is going to cover a lot of glaring weaknesses. In the back-court and with explosive PF's as well. will he be able to put a dent in the saddle of Durant or James as the defensive anchor? Artest stands no chance. That's the real question.

I didn't look up the rankings at all and was going from what I saw. All I know is that the Magic as a team, aside from Howard defensively are crap. Nelson/Richardson/Turk/Anderson from last year. He's been cleaning up defensive messes since he's been with Orlando. So if he can pretty much single handled lead the Magic to 12, LA should have better chances with MWP-Dwight and Kobe who isn't a slouch on defense either.

But I do see that top 3 in both may be a stretch now.

But hey, you got someone to rely on defense and offense, what more could you want.

Im_in_Mia_bish
08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
lol this is so hilarious to me.

top 3 in offense and defense?
ahahaha

last year, with bynum lockin the same amount of blocks as dwight howard, lakers were 15th in the most important defensive category (points against), although they were the second best rebounding team in the league (behind chicago).

Wanna take a guess what orlando's defense rank was? 7th.

lets evaluate who is on the Laker's squad.. nash, kobe, mwp, gasol, d12.

and last time i check neither one of those 5 will play 48 mins a game, so lets look at their bench shall we? antwan, meeks, blake, hill, [insert white person].

orlando's roster had a better TEAM defense than the lakers do. sorry by adding d12 will not put lakers top 3 AT ALL LOL.

last year's top 5 defensive teams.
1. Chicago
2. boston
3. philly
4. miami
5. memphis

get real laker fans.

lets look at offense now.
offense lakers were ranked 15th as well lol, and solely based on kobe's ballhogness.

id say lakers offense would be top 10, altho i wouldnt be surprised if they were top 5.

so sorry no for defense, and a shot on offense.

Bruno
08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
He is our only hope. As Bruno pointed out above, he is going to have to clean up a lot of messes that Kobe and Nash leave. I hope they dont funnel everything into him and get him into foul trouble. But I am almost positive that is going to be their plan.

Good point on the foul trouble. i think the FO predicted that, and I'd like to think that that is the main reason why the Laker FO brought back Jordan Hill. I see Hill getting the major backup minutes over Jamison. Especially if he finds a good groove as the starting PF/C during the first month.

Yeah, good point on the high probably of a decent amount of time missed by Dwight + them being so weak defensively around him. And Antawn is actually a disgustingly poor defender at this point as well. His time in Cleveland was ugly on that end. Offense sucked too, but his D was worse. Top 10 defensively would be a feat for them.

i agree, and I think thats why Hill will get the bulk of the backup minutes over Jamison. If Jamison doesn't start off the season with a hot jumper, Hill will steal his minutes as the younger more athletic, better defender/rebounder.

Bruno
08-14-2012, 10:19 PM

ahahaha

last year, with bynum lockin the same amount of blocks as dwight howard, lakers were 15th in the most important defensive category (points against), although they were the second best rebounding team in the league (behind chicago).

and last time i check neither one of those 5 will play 48 mins a game, so lets look at their bench shall we? antwan, meeks, blake, hill, [insert white person].

orlando's roster had a better TEAM defense than the lakers do. sorry by adding d12 will not put lakers top 3 AT ALL LOL.

1. Chicago
2. boston
3. philly
4. miami
5. memphis

get real laker fans.

offense lakers were ranked 15th as well lol, and solely based on kobe's ballhogness.

id say lakers offense would be top 10, altho i wouldnt be surprised if they were top 5.

i see several laker fans 'getting real' here in this thread.

you said orlando finished 7th in 'defensive rank'. define rank, are you talking about ppg?

Bruno
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
I didn't look up the rankings at all and was going from what I saw. All I know is that the Magic as a team, aside from Howard defensively are crap. Nelson/Richardson/Turk/Anderson from last year. He's been cleaning up defensive messes since he's been with Orlando. So if he can pretty much single handled lead the Magic to 12, LA should have better chances with MWP-Dwight and Kobe who isn't a slouch on defense either.

But I do see that top 3 in both may be a stretch now.

But hey, you got someone to rely on defense and offense, what more could you want.

good points.

maaaybe LA could do top five if Howard didn't miss a game. i just don't see it. but you're right that the starting five is still better than 2012 orlando defensively by a decent margin.

Bruno
08-14-2012, 10:21 PM

true, but some consistency would be nice.

not that i expect it, especially with the new faces. especially with kobes lack of effort throughout regular season games, and the mental glitches/weaknesses/fatigue displayed by Gasol and Artest on defense since 2011.

Mave1002
08-14-2012, 10:35 PM

If we add another piece in Ben Wallace, id say defensively, yes. :rolleyes:

Cal827
08-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Of course. I expect them to average 152ppg on 65% shooting while giving up about 64.5 ppg

b@llhog24
08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
They won't be a top 3 D.

b@llhog24
08-14-2012, 10:54 PM

ahahaha

1. Chicago
2. boston
3. philly
4. miami
5. memphis

get real laker fans.

:laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
true, but some consistency would be nice.

not that i expect it, especially with the new faces. especially with kobes lack of effort throughout regular season games, and the mental glitches/weaknesses/fatigue displayed by Gasol and Artest on defense since 2011.

I see your point, but I take more solace in progression and improvement as the season goes on, slowly and patiently developing good habits on both ends of the floor, getting the right timing and chemistry as a unit down by March. The Lakers usually get their stuff together post-All-star break.

With Dwight possible missing the beginning and with new elements in our offense being brought with the Princeton Offense and 6 new players to our roster (2 to our starting lineup), it will take time to gel.

Hopefully, everything works out on both ends of the floor and we get that championship.

NBAfan4life
08-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Of course. Forget a TS% of 60%. Nash, Pau and Howard are all capable of flirting with a FG% of 60 in a lineup where they'll see looks like never before. Hell Kobe could flirt with 50% from the field!

...Hahhaha... obviously kidding about that last one. When flying pigs **** toads maybe.

But yes, they'll be a top 3 offensive/defensive team if they stay healthy. The wild card being the potentially very rough future Dwight could be in if his back troubles rear their ugly head. With his size, they very well could.

Although this squad reminds me quite a bit of the Payton/Malone/Kobe/Shaq Lakers, and that still did not end in a ship. And make no mistake, if they remain healthy don't win a ship this year it absolutely takes a HUGE hit on the legacies of Kobe (compared to GOATs), Dwight ("most dominant big in the league can't win with THAT cast? Loser"), and Nash (never being able to win even with rosters this stacked would be a blow).

I'm a Laker fan even I understand that the Lakers are not the clear cut favorites. If healthy and they lose to anyone not OKC or Miami, MAYBE you have a point. If they lose to either one of those two teams there is no shame.

Howard: Recovering from back surgery
Kobe: Has played more minutes than almost anyone in the league
Nash: Older than dirt
Gasol: Has even has a ton of mileage considering all of his Fiba time every summer.

The Lakers have a awesome team but by no means are they the clear cut favorites to win it all.

Bruno
08-14-2012, 11:14 PM
I see your point, but I take more solace in progression and improvement as the season goes on, slowly and patiently developing good habits on both ends of the floor, getting the right timing and chemistry as a unit down by March. The Lakers usually get their stuff together post-All-star break.

Like in 2011 when the Lakers went 15-1 from February 22nd through April 1st immediately following the all-star break?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2011_games.html

They ended up dropping five of the final seven regular season games after that 15-1 stretch, before fumbling against NOH, before getting embarrassed by Dallas. They went from looking like the best incarnation of this generations Lakers, to getting swept out of the playoffs in one months time.

this team is too old/unacquainted to just flip the 'on-switch' late in the regular season before playoffs. but then again, there is a difference between growing pains with execution, and the deflation of effort/focus/hustle.

Yea, it will take time to gel. But they won't reach the ultimate goal if the effort isn't consistent. I think you'd agree with me that age/mental fatigue curbed that kind of consistent effort we became accustomed to from 2008-2010; execution can have its ups and downs, but effort is something else. We've seen a lot of half hearted efforts and collapses due to focus in the past two seasons. that's what i'm referring to. i agree that the execution will take time.

Hoffdollas60
08-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Actually jodie Meeks is a pretty good defender I watched few games where he did pretty good against the likes of dwade joe Johnson Derrick rose hell even Kobe Bryant not to say he makes that big of a difference but he does make a difference with Kobe artest and d12 holding the starting line up down on d Meeks d12 artest or Kobe which ever line up is playing the defense will still be just as good by the way Gasol isn't horrible on the defensive end mayb not as aggressive as we would like but he does block and effect shots With out getting into foul trouble..

lakers4sho
08-14-2012, 11:50 PM
offensively we have still yet to see if the lakers improve in the outside shooting dept. without that the princeton offense and whatever the hell mike brown runs will still suffer.

mdm692
08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
If they let Nash run the offense a majority of the time then without a doubt. Suns were top 10 last year with everybody on our team struggling. But since that won't happen due to Kobe I have to say no.

Chronz
08-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Where did the Suns, Magic & Lakers(both ends) rank last year???
10th AND 13th

I didnt realize how bad they were

Chronz
08-15-2012, 12:03 AM

As long as they are the best defensive team in the playoffs and an above adequate offensive team that leads to Title #17, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Thats like saying the regular season means nothing. It is better to be peaking at the right time but how likely do you think it is for a mediocre defensive team to become an elite one in the playoffs? I know I would have alot more faith in my defense improving if it were at least a high ranking team.

Chronz

So when we look at the minutes with Dwight on the floor, do you think the Lakers will rank Top 3?

DODGERS&LAKERS
offensively we have still yet to see if the lakers improve in the outside shooting dept. without that the princeton offense and whatever the hell mike brown runs will still suffer.

Good point. I forgot about the lack of a true deep threat to spread the floor. Nash is our best 3 point threat but he can't kick it out to himself. Kobe is atrocious off the catch and shoot. It's not his game. I can't count how many times Gasol or Bynum got him the ball wide open behind the 3 point line and he just stood there staring at the basket waiting for a defender to recover, only to half@$$ a pump fake and try to go around the defender and still having to settle for a twenty foot contested fadeaway. :mad: He needs to be in the gym practicing his catch and shoot game from behind the line or the offense is going to be really bogged down.

Bruno
08-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Actually jodie Meeks is a pretty good defender I watched few games where he did pretty good against the likes of dwade joe Johnson Derrick rose hell even Kobe Bryant not to say he makes that big of a difference but he does make a difference with Kobe artest and d12 holding the starting line up down on d Meeks d12 artest or Kobe which ever line up is playing the defense will still be just as good

he's an undersized SG. he may be an underrate defender, but he's going to get 20 minutes a night at the absolute most. i can't say i've seen enough of him to make a judgement on his defense.

Can any Phili fans weigh in here?

by the way Gasol isn't horrible on the defensive end mayb not as aggressive as we would like but he does block and effect shots With out getting into foul trouble..

1.4 blocks per game isn't that much for a seven footer. although, shot blocking is only a small part of post defense. Gasol blows help assisgnment and defensive rotations regularly. He's struggled as an important cog in team defense schemes since 2011 (the start of his physical decline). He's also gotten burned by average offensive players in the NBA playoffs for the past two seasons:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/landrca01/gamelog/2011/
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/farieke01/gamelog/2012/

I never said he was horrible.

Bruno
08-15-2012, 12:08 AM
true, and I think the FO had that in mind. I think thats why Jamison and Meeks are Lakers. If Meeks can be that guy who crushes double teams on Howard and Kobe from the perimeter, the offense will look really good while he's on the floor (I see Brown giving Meeks minutes at the two, with Kobe at the three at given times). I think the Nash-Meeks-Bryant-Gasol-Howard fivesome will be very difficult to defend (so long as Meeks continues to flirt with 40% from downtown). Brown will go with Kobe-Artest for the bulk of games for defense, but Meeks will see minutes, and they'll grow if he's hot from behind the arch. I still think he'll be at about 20 mpg tops. that'll grow if Artest continues to suck, and if meeks finds his stroke.

Im_in_Mia_bish
08-15-2012, 12:10 AM
i see several laker fans 'getting real' here in this thread.

you said orlando finished 7th in 'defensive rank'. define rank, are you talking about ppg?

yes i was referring to ppg allowed.. which is the most important defensive stat sir.

Bruno
08-15-2012, 12:13 AM
So when we look at the minutes with Dwight on the floor, do you think the Lakers will rank Top 3?

interesting.

maybe... I'd still lean to the skeptical side until I see the older starters work hard on D. I don't know if they will for enough of the season to land top three. i think it really depends on Gasols defensive chemistry with Dwight too. Pau and Bynum struggled together- hopefully Howard will work together with Pau.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
yes i was referring to ppg allowed.. which is the most important defensive stat sir.

No it's not. Drtg is followed by fg% against. Ppg is a horrible stat to judge a teams defense due to paces being different

Bruno
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM

no it's not. it doesn't take account for pace (context).

google pace and defensive rating.

Im_in_Mia_bish
08-15-2012, 03:31 AM
ahh i see i see, in that case, lakers and orlando had the same defensive effeciency -_-

which still kinda validates my point..

top 10 def, not top 5, defense-wise of course. imo

Mr_Jones
08-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Doubtful

IndyHeatjman
08-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Maybe if their starting 5 and 6th man played the whole game then the Lakers would be top 3 in both offense and defense. I still believe they will be Top 3 in offense, but definately not defense.

Mcdoh
08-15-2012, 05:04 AM
could be..

Bruno
08-15-2012, 03:09 PM
ahh i see i see, in that case, lakers and orlando had the same defensive effeciency -_-

which still kinda validates my point..

top 10 def, not top 5, defense-wise of course. imo

i agree.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-15-2012, 03:19 PM
That perimeter defense is a concern for me, I think that prevents them from being a top defensive team. Offensively, however, they fit together well, I think they can be a top 5 team in that aspect.

Evolution23
08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
That perimeter defense is a concern for me, I think that prevents them from being a top defensive team. Offensively, however, they fit together well, I think they can be a top 5 team in that aspect.

This

MickeyMgl
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Considering most of these guys are going to have to play limited minutes to get through the season, I don't expect any unusually impressive regular season accomplishments, like top 3 in both offense and defense, or best record, etc.

Burgo
08-15-2012, 03:45 PM
One of the best offensive teams for sure. Couldn't go as far as saying a top 3 team defensively though. Dwight will make sure that the team is very capable without the ball, but not amongst the best d teams in the league.

Hawkeye15
08-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Besides Dwight, they are not defensive heavy at all. Artest and Kobe can do it in spots, but are not the defenders they were 5 years ago, and Gasol isn't a bad defender, but Nash is atrocious, and they have zip bench. I think its highly possible they are a top 3 offensive team, but will be more likely to sit in the 8-12 area defensively. That is good enough to win a championship if they enter the playoffs healthy though.

raiderfaninTX
01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
No

Bruno
01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
No

Thread has been inactive since August. Do not bump old threads (especially if you're not applying any new insight or analysis).