PDA

View Full Version : How do the Rockets Keep Signing Bargains?

xabial
08-14-2012, 06:08 PM
They always sign Good Players To Reasonable Contracts.

Last Year They Signed Samuel Dalemburt, a Starting Calibur NBA Center to a one year contract with the Second Year a Team option

This year they Sign Carlos Delfino a guy who has infinite Range (Averaged 2.1 Threes a Game In Febuary, and 1.6 on the Season), 1.5 Steals, 4 Rebounds.

His only low Points was that he averaged 9.0 Points, and plays for one of the Craziest, and Unorthodox Coach's in the game. (It Seemed Like This guy Set a Different Lineup everyday Lol )

Carlos Delfino at One Year with a Team Option For a Second Year Is A Steal in my opinion, (As With Dalemburt's Contract) HECK Delfino is a Better Player Than JR Smith, and Jr Smith's Second Year of His Contract is GUARANTEED. (And Not A Team Option). Steve Novak Was the Best 3-Point Sniper Last In the NBA, and he Got a 4-yr guaranteed Pact. (Note, that I am naming Knicks Players b/c I'm a Knick Fan but my Point still stands.) (LOTS of Teams OVERPAY players.)

I also find it HILARIOUS they Amnestied Scola Who is Making $9M, $10M, and $11M the Next 3 years. That's NOTHING to a "Bad" Contract. if No D12, Scola probly wouldn't havent been amnestied but thats purely my opinion. He's a good Player., and at 32 isn't quite "grandpa" yet.

Does this have anything to do with the Fact that they are SO BELOW the Salary Cap b/c their GM is Completely Rebuilding the Roster (Although he Failed To Sign Howard), or is their GM unfairly getting treated for how public he made his attempts to Trade for Howard known?

Can Someone Tell me Why the Rockets, Keep Signing Players To Reasonable Contracts?

They Overpaid Lin, and Asik But For the Most Part Rockets Do a Good Job Of Paying Players what their worth.

EDUTEXANS
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
two words for you: Daryl Morey. And yet people think he should be fired. I personally think the Delfino signing is pointless, we don't need him, but he would be a nice addition for any non-rebuilding team. Cutting Scola was a smart move, Morey was going after Howard or Bynum and he needed cap space to do so, and if he coudn't get one of them, we have a lot of big men who need playing time.

xxplayerxx23
08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Asik and Lin were questionable but not a bad job. If he can get some value for Kevin Martin ill be shocked. He is doing a solid job.

BKLYNpigeon
08-14-2012, 06:51 PM
you try and get as many assets as possible to use as trade chips.

WhiteSoxGod
08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I mean Asik and Lin were restricted free agents. Tell me another time when restricted free agents came cheap. What were the Rockets 2 biggest needs this offseason? Center and Point Guard. Morey managed to get 2 at least half decent players and at least he didn't pay them $10+ million a year. Morey is a math, stats, and metrics guy. He always makes the smartest deal. The problem is sometimes, even if you're Adam Dun you strike out (LOL ESPECIALLY if you're Adam Dun).

Hawkeye15
08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Because Morey doesn't allow himself to overpay for role players....

John Walls Era
08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
two words for you: Daryl Morey. And yet people think he should be fired. I personally think the Delfino signing is pointless, we don't need him, but he would be a nice addition for any non-rebuilding team. Cutting Scola was a smart move, Morey was going after Howard or Bynum and he needed cap space to do so, and if he coudn't get one of them, we have a lot of big men who need playing time.

PSD members of the NBA forum are all great future GMs. How dare you question their intelligence and wisdom. They clearly know how to run REAL NBA Teams....

D12 fan
08-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Because Morey doesn't allow himself to overpay for role players....

Im guessing you were being sarcastic,Lin/Asik was overpaid to me.But maybe they prove me wrong and both have a breakout season.

Cracka2HI!
08-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Weird post by the OP. Says Houston keeps signing bargains and then kinda talks about how the Knicks don't and then goes over a bunch of reasons why the Rockets don't.

Cal827
08-14-2012, 07:21 PM
PSD members of the NBA forum are all great future GMs. How dare you question their intelligence and wisdom. They clearly know how to run REAL NBA Teams....

Yup. That's why DoMeFavors and Federal Reserve will be the next GMs of the Nets and Knicks respectively :D

EDUTEXANS
08-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Im guessing you were being sarcastic,Lin/Asik was overpaid to me.But maybe they prove me wrong and both have a breakout season.

But both have the potential to be "underpayed", IMO. I mean Asik can be great on D and if Lin can play close to what he played last season, I think he isn't overpayed. And they were both RFA, and we got them for nothing. Two good deals for me.

FarOutIos
08-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Wow. The Morey loves always kills me... so your saying that Scola at $9 Million is not a bad contract? And... at his age, the years he was going to get $10 and $11 million would be absurd.

...there is a reason they amnestied Scola.

And looking at Lin. Wow. That's clearly a big contract for a role player.

Now... I'm not saying Morey is a bad GM. I has been my belief for a while that ALL GMs are very closely rated. They are all human and just like people at any job, few are clearly that much better at doing their job than others.

I think other factors such as ownership involvement, freedom of financial and personel decisions and the market in which they operate are big factors in a GMs success. Also, you have to factor in the training and coaching staffs as well.

No GM is great. No GM is horrible. They are just average guys trying to pay the bills.

FarOutIos
08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
On a side note... why was Delfino still available?

akesh99
Weird post by the OP. Says Houston keeps signing bargains and then kinda talks about how the Knicks don't and then goes over a bunch of reasons why the Rockets don't.

I was thinking the same thing

John Walls Era
Yup. That's why DoMeFavors and Federal Reserve will be the next GMs of the Nets and Knicks respectively :D

Actually I like FR.

valade16
08-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I mean Asik and Lin were restricted free agents. Tell me another time when restricted free agents came cheap. What were the Rockets 2 biggest needs this offseason? Center and Point Guard. Morey managed to get 2 at least half decent players and at least he didn't pay them $10+ million a year. Morey is a math, stats, and metrics guy. He always makes the smartest deal. The problem is sometimes, even if you're Adam Dun you strike out (LOL ESPECIALLY if you're Adam Dun).

That was a self-imposed need. They had Lowry and Dragic, and they let them both go.

It doesn't count as a need if you had quality players and chose of your own accord to not keep them...

D-Leethal
08-14-2012, 07:34 PM
All 2 bargains you can think of?

I think its pretty obvious Delfino wanted a better offer than he received, so he chose to take a paycut for a year and go somewhere he can get a ton of PT and put up stats, than get paid. Houston made sense.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-14-2012, 07:36 PM
On a side note... why was Delfino still available?

because the bucks drafted this stud in the 2nd round by the name of Doron Lamb:clap: delfino is very streaky as a shooter, but really improved his man D this last season but had to in order to be on the court for skiles

Ezio
08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Lin and Asik were both signed "cheaply" because of the pp 3rd year.

NYKNYGNYY
08-14-2012, 07:45 PM
so ur callin asik and lin a bargain????

Jagged QT
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Lin and Asik were both signed "cheaply" because of the pp 3rd year.

They weren't cheap by any stretch.

FraziersKnicks
08-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Two words. Asik and Lin.

b@llhog24
08-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Cause Morey promises them candy.

FarOutIos
08-14-2012, 07:53 PM
because the bucks drafted this stud in the 2nd round by the name of Doron Lamb:clap: delfino is very streaky as a shooter, but really improved his man D this last season but had to in order to be on the court for skiles

OK... but my question is why is he STILL available...? I know my Kings could have used a SF who can shoot the 3... And there are several other teams that could use what he provides.

He must not be valued very high by GMs around the league. He is almost 30... so he is getting a little on the old side. But he can still play decently.

My point is that with such a low demand for him, he must not be that great of a talent. I would guess that a player like Jamison going to the Lakers for $1.3 million is more of a value.

goalie
08-14-2012, 08:04 PM
This isn't Morey being some kind of super GM. The reason is very simple: playing time. All pro athletes will settle for a small deal when they have an indication or assume there is playing time. Delfino wants minutes, Dalembert saw a open starting center spot. Morey is bottom feeding here, hes not doing anything groundbreaking.

Hugbees
08-14-2012, 08:07 PM
lol asik and lin. How does a thought like that even cross your mind.

EDUTEXANS
08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
That was a self-imposed need. They had Lowry and Dragic, and they let them both go.

It doesn't count as a need if you had quality players and chose of your own accord to not keep them...

Yes, the PG was the only position we didn't have to worry about. But then Lowry came out and said he wasn't happy and he wanted out. And you can bet Morey tried everything he could to bring Dragic back, he even threw a little party for him when he came from Europe, but he wanted PHX.

All 2 bargains you can think of?

I think its pretty obvious Delfino wanted a better offer than he received, so he chose to take a paycut for a year and go somewhere he can get a ton of PT and put up stats, than get paid. Houston made sense.

Don't forget about about Lowry, all the finds in the draft and all the trades he made. His worst moves were trading a protected first for T-Will and drafting Morris over Leonard in 2011. Both moves didn't seem so bad ar the moment.

And I would really like to know how are the terms of the contract. If someone can tell me how much under-the-cap teams must spend under the rules in the new CBA, it would be great. Maybe Morey is trying to trade Martin without taking contracts back, and he needed to spend the money or someone.

Martin's better
08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Two words. Asik and Lin.

Someone dosn't know how to count

WhiteSoxGod
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Wow. The Morey loves always kills me... so your saying that Scola at $9 Million is not a bad contract? And... at his age, the years he was going to get $10 and $11 million would be absurd.

...there is a reason they amnestied Scola.

And looking at Lin. Wow. That's clearly a big contract for a role player.

Now... I'm not saying Morey is a bad GM. I has been my belief for a while that ALL GMs are very closely rated. They are all human and just like people at any job, few are clearly that much better at doing their job than others.

I think other factors such as ownership involvement, freedom of financial and personel decisions and the market in which they operate are big factors in a GMs success. Also, you have to factor in the training and coaching staffs as well.

No GM is great. No GM is horrible. They are just average guys trying to pay the bills.

Most people thought that Marcin Gortat's contract was horrible now it seems like a bargain. 7 Foot supreme defenders with the metrics Asik don't come overly cheap. Asik will seem like a bargain at $8.3 million a year in a couple years.

Lin had a 19.37 PER last year, that is great. Let's not mention he figures to bring to Houston back his total salary plus 42.4% more based on the marketing predictors and increased overall sales (ticket & merchandise).

Actually, Lowry wanted out and we got a nice return for a low-end 1st rd draft pick. We tried to keep Dragic but he wanted $10 million+ from us. We got a player with a 19.37 PER for $2 million dollars less.

WhiteSoxGod
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Someone dosn't know how to count

LOL what do expect from a Knicks fan. Their owner can't count and it seemingly trickles down from there.

BradHolt4CYoung
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
WTF is the OP talking about they gave a backup center 8 million per year.

2-ONE-5
08-14-2012, 09:09 PM
bargains? did u see the deals they gave to Lin and Asik?

c.c.
08-14-2012, 09:34 PM
How??? Because they not panicking and throwing money away even due to their recent years of coming up short towards the end of the regular season. That's how

CluTcH_c1tY
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM

Javale Mcgee and Brendan Haywood got more money than Asik, and they're surely not better than Asik.

The Lin deal isnt as bad as people make it out to be. The Rockets finally get to rebuild and still generate revenue in the mean time. With an assorment of draft picks next year, and all the cap space in the world should yield a good return. Dont sleep on Montijuenas and Lamb these guys are going to surprise alot of people. Also Chandler Parsons will improve and will be looked at as one of the best 2nd round gems in the last 5 years.

absolute zero
08-14-2012, 10:43 PM
IF the rookies live up to their potential, they would have a very solid cap space once the contracts of lin and asik expire. By that time, they only have lamb, white, jones and motiejunas on the final year of their rookie contracts.

D-Leethal
08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Yes, the PG was the only position we didn't have to worry about. But then Lowry came out and said he wasn't happy and he wanted out. And you can bet Morey tried everything he could to bring Dragic back, he even threw a little party for him when he came from Europe, but he wanted PHX.

Don't forget about about Lowry, all the finds in the draft and all the trades he made. His worst moves were trading a protected first for T-Will and drafting Morris over Leonard in 2011. Both moves didn't seem so bad ar the moment.

And I would really like to know how are the terms of the contract. If someone can tell me how much under-the-cap teams must spend under the rules in the new CBA, it would be great. Maybe Morey is trying to trade Martin without taking contracts back, and he needed to spend the money or someone.

The thread was 'how does he keep signing steals' ensuing hes getting quality players for pennies...nothing you mentioned is with regards to signing players.

I never said hes a bad GM...I think hes one of the best in the league, regardless of the Lin and Asik deals. I don't know why they didn't just keep Lowry or even Dragic, both were better than Lin and I'm a huge Lin fan.

WhiteSoxGod
08-15-2012, 12:10 AM
WTF is the OP talking about they gave a backup center 8 million per year.

I guess you both didn't bother to read my comments regarding these deals, so I'll say it again. Most people thought that Marcin Gortat's contract was horrible now it seems like a bargain. 7 Foot supreme defenders with the metrics Asik don't come overly cheap. Asik will seem like a bargain at $8.3 million a year in a couple years.

For one, Omer Asik will be the starting for the Rockets he is not a backup. He is not even in his prime.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/film-session-omer-asik

As for Jeremy Lin, he had a 19.37 PER last year, that is great. Let's not mention he figures to bring to Houston back his total salary plus 42.4% more based on the marketing predictors and increased overall sales (ticket & merchandise).

The thread was 'how does he keep signing steals' ensuing hes getting quality players for pennies...nothing you mentioned is with regards to signing players.

I never said hes a bad GM...I think hes one of the best in the league, regardless of the Lin and Asik deals. I don't know why they didn't just keep Lowry or even Dragic, both were better than Lin and I'm a huge Lin fan.

I think they excelled in the system McHale placed around them. I mean is it any wonder they BOTH had the best years of their careers in a Rockets Uniform. Lin will do the same, McHale's system is point guard heavy and you will see Lowry and Dragic's number both diminish.

Raidaz4Life
08-15-2012, 07:20 AM
I think they excelled in the system McHale placed around them. I mean is it any wonder they BOTH had the best years of their careers in a Rockets Uniform. Lin will do the same, McHale's system is point guard heavy and you will see Lowry and Dragic's number both diminish.

Its not like Phoenix doesn't run a PG heavy system as well.

In regards to the OP... I am so lost with his train of thought. Is he really making the case that Morey is some super GM because he signed Delfino and Dalembert? (Then begin to refute it by saying amnestying Scola was a bad move). I think Morey has been overrated for years and now he is becoming slightly underrated, but either way hardly enough to note in a thread... he is still guiding the shapeless void that is the Houston Rockets.

WhiteSoxGod
08-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Its not like Phoenix doesn't run a PG heavy system as well.

In regards to the OP... I am so lost with his train of thought. Is he really making the case that Morey is some super GM because he signed Delfino and Dalembert? (Then begin to refute it by saying amnestying Scola was a bad move). I think Morey has been overrated for years and now he is becoming slightly underrated, but either way hardly enough to note in a thread... he is still guiding the shapeless void that is the Houston Rockets.

That may be true about Phoenix, slightly. But I think most would agree that Goran Dragic was not worth the $10 million+ a year he wanted.

Lin has a higher PER and a lot more upside than Dragic. Most forget Lin and Asik are both under 26 years old (Asik is 26) years old, respectively.

BobbyHillSwag
08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
wait you mean crap bargains that wont get them anywhere and wont even make them money? ok that's nice. Atleast they aren't overpaying like some other teams. *No cough* Atlanta, New York, Washington

WhiteSoxGod
08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
wait you mean crap bargains that wont get them anywhere and wont even make them money? ok that's nice. Atleast they aren't overpaying like some other teams. *No cough* Atlanta, New York, Washington

Jeremy Lamb and Donatas Motiejunas could turn into superstars, implausible, but not impossible. We don't know what these rookies are capable of. Let's wait to pass judgement on this team until we see what the court product is.

Heediot
08-15-2012, 11:27 AM

For GM's, I think you are underestimating the ability to influence people and the ability to negotiate. Sometimes intuition and instinct go along way in judging talent as well. You have to predict chemistry. There's more factors in which a gm is held accountable for than you are giving credit, and there are strengths and weaknesses that seperate all GMs. .

LongIslandIcedZ
08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Lin is certainly overpaid, although still a good player to have. Asik really isnt a horrible deal because of the ridiculous value for centers.

I think the Rockets had a good offseason, but not because of "bargains," I just think their having a great rebuilding offseason.

JasonJohnHorn
08-15-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't even know how they signed Delfino. I thought they already had like 78 players under contract for next season.

EDUTEXANS
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
For GM's, I think you are underestimating the ability to influence people and the ability to negotiate. Sometimes intuition and instinct go along way in judging talent as well. You have to predict chemistry. There's more factors in which a gm is held accountable for than you are giving credit, and there are strengths and weaknesses that seperate all GMs. .
I think what makes a GM good or not, or at least the best way, it's the draft. And Morey had some great drafts. I mentioned him taking Morris over Leonard, but, then, he took Parsons in the second.

OK, you're right. Although I think the Lowry re-signing fits in the category. About keeping Lowry and Dragic, Lowry cleary wanted out because of McHale and Dragic opted to go to Phoenix. I don't know about you, but we're clearly rebulding, I would much rather pay a 23-year old with more upside Lin 8 Million than pay a 26-year old Dragic the same money. The way I see it, Dragic will be what he is now, he won't get better, he is a solid starter, a 3rd option in a contender team, tops. Lin, in the other hand, has the potential to be a start, he showed this last season, and being three years younger makes him a better fit in a rebulding team. Same goes to Lowry, he is good, cheap and everything, but he is already 26 and he probably has just three more good years ahead of him. I think Morey did the right thing. It could be the wrong thing if he had traded for Howard or Bynum.

EDUTEXANS
08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't even know how they signed Delfino. I thought they already had like 78 players under contract for next season.

we have 14 WITH Delfino, if I'm not wrong. We have a lot od non-guatanteed contracts.

IndyRealist
08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
On Lin: In marketing alone, Lin more than pays for his contract between an Asian-heavy city like Houston and international opportunities. So yes, he was a steal.

On Asik: He's a fantastic per minute player. Whether that translates into starters minutes or not, well, that's the gamble. If he does well, he's a steal. If he doesn't, then you trade him in the last year as an expiring contract. I'm fairly certain for both Asik and Lin, if they bust their first two years, they will be traded before Houston has to pay a significant amount of the last year.

Now let's consider other players the Rockets have gotten in recent years.

Tracy McGrady (a broke down player) and Carl Landry (a 2nd round pick) turned into Jordan Hill, Kevin Martin, and a pick. Jordan Hill turned into a draft pick. So McGrady and Landry for Kevin Martin and two first round picks.

An overrated and soon-to-be overpaid Aaron Brooks turned into Goran Dragic and a pick. Goran Dragic was let go, so Brooks for a pick.

Traded Rafer Alson for Kyle Lowry, then traded Kyle Lowry for a pick. So Rafer Alston for a 1st round pick.

Traded Shane Battier for Hasheem Thabeet and a pick. Thabeet was let go, so Battier for a pick.

Signed Sam Dalembert for half the going rate of a starting center, and turned him into Jeremy Lamb, the 12th pick.

Chase Budinger, a 2nd round pick they bought, turned into Terrence Jones, the 18th pick.

I don't know much about Delfino, but he's a starting SF and so he's a value contract.

I'm gonna stop there, because I'm getting a headache trying to figure out who all these picks turned into. Needless to say, even though they missed out on Dwight and Bynum, they have fleeced several other teams .

They also draft very well, if you consider Chase Budinger, Carl Landry, and Chandler Parsons were all 2nd rounders. How many teams actually retain their 2nd round players, let alone give them playing time?

Gritz
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Who cares, the team sucks

king4day
08-15-2012, 04:49 PM
This late in free agency makes it easier to sign guys like Delfino. Kudos to them for getting him but if there was another team that needed his skill, I'm sure they coulda had him as well. Just worked out for them.

Vinylman
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
That may be true about Phoenix, slightly. But I think most would agree that Goran Dragic was not worth the $10 million+ a year he wanted.

Lin has a higher PER and a lot more upside than Dragic. Most forget Lin and Asik are both 24 years old, respectively.

LMFAO

another ignorant post from the master

xnick5757
08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Asik will likely turn out to be a steal relative to what other centers got, check out his per 36 stats from last year:

7.6 PPG
13.0 RPG
2.5 BPG

8 million a year for those stats is a pretty good deal

Vinylman
08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
On Lin: In marketing alone, Lin more than pays for his contract between an Asian-heavy city like Houston and international opportunities. So yes, he was a steal.

On Asik: He's a fantastic per minute player. Whether that translates into starters minutes or not, well, that's the gamble. If he does well, he's a steal. If he doesn't, then you trade him in the last year as an expiring contract. I'm fairly certain for both Asik and Lin, if they bust their first two years, they will be traded before Houston has to pay a significant amount of the last year.

Now let's consider other players the Rockets have gotten in recent years.

Tracy McGrady (a broke down player) and Carl Landry (a 2nd round pick) turned into Jordan Hill, Kevin Martin, and a pick. Jordan Hill turned into a draft pick. So McGrady and Landry for Kevin Martin and two first round picks.

An overrated and soon-to-be overpaid Aaron Brooks turned into Goran Dragic and a pick. Goran Dragic was let go, so Brooks for a pick.

Traded Rafer Alson for Kyle Lowry, then traded Kyle Lowry for a pick. So Rafer Alston for a 1st round pick.

Traded Shane Battier for Hasheem Thabeet and a pick. Thabeet was let go, so Battier for a pick.

Signed Sam Dalembert for half the going rate of a starting center, and turned him into Jeremy Lamb, the 12th pick.

Chase Budinger, a 2nd round pick they bought, turned into Terrence Jones, the 18th pick.

I don't know much about Delfino, but he's a starting SF and so he's a value contract.

I'm gonna stop there, because I'm getting a headache trying to figure out who all these picks turned into. Needless to say, even though they missed out on Dwight and Bynum, they have fleeced several other teams .

They also draft very well, if you consider Chase Budinger, Carl Landry, and Chandler Parsons were all 2nd rounders. How many teams actually retain their 2nd round players, let alone give them playing time?

and how have those trades helped them compete for a chip...

its funny you leave one of his horrible deals out

Nicholas Batum on draft day for joey dorsey/donte greene and a second rounder :facepalm:

Morey is great a churning players and keeping everyone guessing but at the end of the day he has been a gm for 5 years and never built a winner

We are hearing the same song and dance this go around again... every trade you name up above was for a player that never put them over the top and is no longer around

Sure they got picks but you don't build winners in the draft if you are getting picks in spots 10 and lower... just doesn't happen...

Can't wait until he turns Martin into a pick then turns some of last years picks into picks and so on and so forth...

Rockets = Spinning Wheels

AddiX
08-15-2012, 06:16 PM
and how have those trades helped them compete for a chip...

its funny you leave one of his horrible deals out

Nicholas Batum on draft day for joey dorsey/donte greene and a second rounder :facepalm:

Morey is great a churning players and keeping everyone guessing but at the end of the day he has been a gm for 5 years and never built a winner

We are hearing the same song and dance this go around again... every trade you name up above was for a player that never put them over the top and is no longer around

Sure they got picks but you don't build winners in the draft if you are getting picks in spots 10 and lower... just doesn't happen...

Can't wait until he turns Martin into a pick then turns some of last years picks into picks and so on and so forth...

Rockets = Spinning Wheels

Perfect way to put it, its not that morey doesn't get value or make good trades, he definitely does.

But this story has been going on for some years now and still has no real direction. Building a top notch championship team is incredibly hard, especially in today's NBA with these ridiculous super teams.

So I won't judge a team on it's ability to build that. My problem w the rockets is I don't see any players worth building around, and it doesn't look like they really know where there going yet.

There in a tough position right now, so well have to wait and see, but if they dont devote themselves to an actual plan that can work, they'll end up like the Wolves lucky to get the 8th seed.

WhiteSoxGod
08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
LMFAO

another ignorant post from the master

I'm glad you recognize me as master. Second I have never seen one post from you that could be interpreted as an intelligent thought. Everyone that reads your posts become dumber and should always feel better about themselves. It is apparent your ability to analyze any sport is destitute and you should probably just go away forever and save this country another example of how the educational system has failed.

Jeremy Lin is 23 and Asik is 26 my bad, because you know that is so much different and makes such a HUGE difference.

The corresponding clips and article can be found here: http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/film-session-omer-asik

Film Session: Omer Asik
Taking a look at the ELITE defensive skill set of Omer Asik

HOUSTON - “We need a 7-footer who can defend, block shots and rebound." – Every NBA team, EVER.

Size is the scarcest natural resource in the NBA. Not just size, mind you, but quality size, especially as it pertains to the big men who patrol the paint. Guys who can protect the rim and dominate the boards at an elite level don’t just grow on trees, so simple supply and demand dictates that they are both difficult and often costly to acquire. If you get an opportunity to acquire one, you don’t hem and haw – you pounce.

Enter Omer Asik.

The Rockets have had their eyes on the 7-foot big man from Turkey for years now, having fallen in love with his advanced defensive instincts (which have only been enhanced after serving a two-year tutelage under defensive maestro Tom Thibodeau), shot blocking and rebounding. Asik is agile, strong and ridiculously long (7-2 wingspan and 9-4 standing reach); attributes that have helped him become an absolute menace on the defensive end. To be sure, the 26-year-old remains raw offensively, but even if he never were to improve one iota on that end (a silly notion, but still), his immense contributions defensively would still make him an invaluable difference maker going forward.

Don’t be fooled by the per-game stats. Asik received limited playing time in Chicago playing behind the excellent Joakim Noah, restricting Asik to just 14 minutes per game during the 2011-12 season. But project his numbers out over 36 minutes per game, and here’s what they become: 7.6 points, 13 rebounds (including nearly five offensive boards) and 2.5 blocks per game. Don’t buy the projection? Critics didn’t believe the hype either when Houston chased Marcin Gortat several years back and today his contract seems like an absolute bargain.

The fact of the matter is that Asik ranked 6th overall in the league in rebound rate this past season, 5th overall in offensive rebound rate, and excelled in every single defensive metric that exists. He’s a bouncy, instinctive, rangy 7-foot defensive stopper who hasn’t even entered his basketball prime. He became available on the free agent market this summer. And the Rockets pounced.

So what makes him such a great defender? Rockets.com went back into the film room to find out.

Watch this sequence of clips and the thing that immediately stands out is Asik’s complete and utter lack of fear when it comes to venturing outside the paint to defend the NBA’s bread and butter play, the pick-and-roll. Many big men prefer to plant themselves in the paint rather than exposing themselves out on the perimeter, but Asik’s quick feet, sound footwork and disruptive length enable him to “show” on the pick-and-roll and also get back -- even against smaller, faster players -- in time to defend against their drives toward the rim. Watching Asik change direction in time to disrupt Dwyane Wade’s step-back jumper and match James Harden step for step on his foray to the hoop speaks volumes about his defensive aptitude.

Little wonder, then, that Asik ranked in the league’s 84th percentile according to Synergy Sports when serving as the big defender against the pick-and-roll ball handler, conceding a meager .631 points per possession.

This sequence focuses on Asik’s ability to defend the pick-and-roll roll man; an area in which the 7-footer ranks in the league’s 69th percentile according to Synergy. The first clip is a veritable defensive tutorial as Asik ranges over to cut off Brandon Jennings, before racing across the court to return to Drew Gooden as the Bucks’ forward receives a pass from Jennings. A less agile big might find himself tremendously vulnerable in this situation; an effect Gooden tries to accentuate by going up for a pump fake upon receiving the ball. But Asik never panics or loses balance, wisely opting instead to stay grounded and go vertical, putting himself in perfect position to backtrack as Gooden puts the ball on the floor and drives into the painted area.

The second clip is nothing more than a simple contest, but what makes it worthwhile viewing is how it gives yet another example of the “Shooters Bane” that doubles as Asik’s disruptive length and how his immediate follow-up instinct is to turn, track back to the rim and devour the ensuing rebound.

So much of a player’s success defending the low-post hinges upon the work he does before his opponent even receives the ball. During this sequence, Asik’s strength leaps off the screen as he battles against the likes of some of the game’s premier low-post practitioners. The 26-year-old repeatedly roots himself to the ground, preventing low-post beasts like Dwight Howard and DeMarcus Cousins from getting to their favorite spots on the floor. And even when his man does establish solid position as Al Jefferson and Zach Randolph do in clips one and three, Asik’s strong fundamentals and length make shooting over and around him a nightmare.

Asik’s Synergy numbers when defending the low-post: he conceded .718 points per possession during this past season, good enough to put him in the NBA’s 76th percentile.

By now the basics of what make Asik so skilled and disruptive on the defensive end should be obvious. His size and agility make him a monster to maneuver around (see Brandon Jennings and Pau Gasol in clips two and four, respectively) and even when his opponent gets a step on him (as Chris Bosh and Greg Monroe do in clips one and three), his ridiculous length frequently more than makes up for it since those arms allow him to be a shot-blocking, shot-contesting menace.

The end result: Asik ranks in the league’s 67th percentile with regard to defending isolations and he resides in the stratosphere against spot-ups, sitting pretty in the 98th percentile.

Moving Forward

Asik will have no trouble making his presence felt on the defensive end right away in a Rockets uniform. He’s not yet a finished product defensively, but he’s pretty darn close. The only thing he’ll need to watch out for is foul trouble; when playing limited minutes that obviously wasn’t a concern so there’s likely to be a transitional period early on while he searches for the perfect balance of physical, rugged play that allows him to stay on the court as much as necessary.

Obviously Asik has the most room for improvement on the offensive end. The Rockets don’t need him to be a point-scoring dynamo, but he will have to make significant strides as a free throw shooter to ensure he can remain on the floor at the end of close games, lest opponents employ the undesirable hack-an-Asik strategy. Cutting down his turnovers will also be a primary point of emphasis.

All that having been said, the Rockets now have themselves a dynamic defensive presence at the center position. Every team lusts after big men who can dominate at that end of the floor. Houston just picked up one of the best in that area and at just 26-years-old, he should only get better. Now he’s got a chance to prove it.

Iceman_9
08-15-2012, 10:38 PM
No one else was offering delfino a contract. That made him vulnerable for a cheap contract.

SouthSideRookie
08-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Perfect way to put it, its not that morey doesn't get value or make good trades, he definitely does.

But this story has been going on for some years now and still has no real direction. Building a top notch championship team is incredibly hard, especially in today's NBA with these ridiculous super teams.

So I won't judge a team on it's ability to build that. My problem w the rockets is I don't see any players worth building around, and it doesn't look like they really know where there going yet.

There in a tough position right now, so well have to wait and see, but if they dont devote themselves to an actual plan that can work, they'll end up like the Wolves lucky to get the 8th seed.

Well yeah, picking 14th year after year will make it nearly impossible to build a contender. Les Alexander hasn't allowed the team to fully rebuild until now.

IIRC the Rockets have a winning record under Morey's tenure, he's done a solid job considering the circumstances he's had to deal with like injuries to star players. The Rockets were certainly on the mediocrity treadmill before this offseason, fortunately the owner finally got the memo.

EDUTEXANS
08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
No one else was offering delfino a contract. That made him vulnerable for a cheap contract.

3 million sounds good for me. I'm sure the Bucks tried to bring him back, but he ain't worth 3 million. Rockets have a lot cap space, so it doesn't matter.

THE MTL
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Delfino wasnt such a hot commodity on the market anyway. Getting him for the vet min sounds about right to me. I dont think that they get bargains for everyone. Asik is OVERPAID!

But seriously besides, Jeremy Lin no one else has shown a glimpse of why they deserve big money so why pay them big bucks?

Rockets are pretty horrible team right now. But it might be better to remain horrible over the nxt 2-3 years cause no one is getting past OKC or LAL. After 2-3yrs, Nash/Kobe go out and Gasol's game drops off, while OKC decides whether to give Harden/Ibaka those near-max extensions. The playing field will be more fair.

WhiteSoxGod
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Delfino wasnt such a hot commodity on the market anyway. Getting him for the vet min sounds about right to me. I dont think that they get bargains for everyone. Asik is OVERPAID!

But seriously besides, Jeremy Lin no one else has shown a glimpse of why they deserve big money so why pay them big bucks?

Rockets are pretty horrible team right now. But it might be better to remain horrible over the nxt 2-3 years cause no one is getting past OKC or LAL. After 2-3yrs, Nash/Kobe go out and Gasol's game drops off, while OKC decides whether to give Harden/Ibaka those near-max extensions. The playing field will be more fair.

We don't know that. We don't know if they're great, if theyre horrible, or if they are just mediocre. This is because we don't know what the young players and rookies are going to do.

I think, obviously, we will get a better feel once we see this team in action. But ask any rockets fan and they will express hope and happiness. The Rockets have a ton of potential. If they can convert that potential into performance the Rockets could surprise some teams.

topdog
08-16-2012, 11:27 PM
The same reason that Kahn was able to sign Ramon Sessions back in '09 for such a cheap contract and pass him off to the Cavs the next year - no one was that interested.

I'm sorry, but I get tired of continually hearing how smart Morey is and what a great job he does. He has a lot of work to do before November to figure out this roster and what it's going to be. I think they have about 21 players signed to go to camp now that they cut Harrelson.

knickfan33
08-16-2012, 11:48 PM
lol... hes getting bargains? lin, aski?

you think dalembert and delfino chose the rockets while other teams were offering them more? noone offered them anything, so thats what they got... they are averege role players.