PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's Olympic Farewell Statement

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
On his Facebook page. Pretty cool what he says about reaching goals and being ambitious and the heart of an athlete and winner:

Can’t believe the games are over, seems like yesterday we were walking into the stadium with nerves of excitement and dreams of Gold. The dust has settled, the medals handed out. Some have fulfilled their dreams, and others have come up short. The true beauty of the Olympics, however, is happening now and will continue up until opening ceremonies in Rio 2016. The beauty I'm referring to is the beauty of determination, grit, will, work, pain, sacrifice, etc.. For those who came up short in these games, what will they change to get on top in Rio? For those who won Gold, what will they use to keep their motivation up to repeat as the world’s best?

Think about it! All over the world athletes are training. Someone, somewhere, while no one is watching, no TVs, no flags, no fanfare, is going to push a little harder and train a little smarter and that's going to be the difference and what separates them from the pack.

Do you think there is a kid somewhere out there ambitious enough to want to take down Phelps’ medal count? As you look back on the games and think towards Rio don't forget to follow some of the athletes and their stories. You never know, you may find a Bolt before the rest of the world does..

Much love and respect to all the athletes. This was my last Olympics. I enjoyed it to the fullest.

Train for Gold NOW!!! Best of luck to you all.

Mamba out

JJ_JKidd
08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Good luck at trying to reach Phelps :cool:

LakersMaster24
08-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Good luck at trying to reach Phelps :cool:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7070/6874536089_532509b3ab.jpg

LAKERS 24/7
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I wonder if he really wrote it. The grammar seems a little too good.

MiamiLoyal926
08-13-2012, 09:36 PM

My thoughts exactly. His diction and writing style resembles more that of a journalist or a writer than a basketball player. If anything, it must have at least made its way through an editor. Nothing about Kobe tells me he is a writer.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
^^He did write it. His statement on Dwight appeared first on his Facebook, and Kobe's representatives themselves said that Kobe wrote his own stuff on Fb.

b@llhog24
08-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Kobe is a pretty intelligent guy.

Longhornfan1234
08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Kobe is a pretty intelligent guy.

:laugh::laugh:

Lakeshow24KB
08-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I heard somewhere that Kobe's SAT scores were the best in his state. I wonder if he's trying to seem more humble....

Lakeshow24KB
08-13-2012, 09:53 PM

:confused: he was actually school smart

Becks2307
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Kobe isnt stupid...but that sounds like the tone of a journalist, it contains nuance, long and short sentences, pacing, transitions etc. this must have been seen by an editor

Aust
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM

:confused:

THINKBLUE15
08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm not a fan of the way Kobe goes about some of his personal business, but he's very smart, and has always been well spoken. I have no doubt he wrote this. The dude is bright and was raised well.

Longhornfan1234
08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
:confused:

:facepalm:

He didn't attend college. Any slobbering ****** can graduate and make good grades in high-school.

Aust
08-13-2012, 10:01 PM

He didn't attend college. Any slobbering ****** can graduate and make good grades in high-school.

Oh, I understand. Anyone who doesn't attend college should be laughed at.

THINKBLUE15
08-13-2012, 10:02 PM

He didn't attend college. Any slobbery ****** can graduate and make good grades in high-school.

Stop with the face palms. That's about as lazy and uneducated as it gets.

You don't have to attend college to be able to write and speak.

He's a very intelligent person, and you can tell by the way he conducts himself in interviews, among other things.

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
The American Schooling he received overseas internationally in Italy must have helped. When you see his interviews, he really sounds more articulate than 99% of the black athletes in the NBA. Like pronouncing the "-ing" after a word. He is the anti-Chris Broussard when it comes to speaking articulately.

ThunderousDemon
08-13-2012, 10:07 PM

I'm Sorry that we all didn't attend DeVry like you. :laugh2:

topdog
08-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't get how this has turned into a grammar thread. The guy knows Italian for goodness sake! There is nothing about a Kobe interview that has ever made me think that he wasn't intelligent. What he wrote has very nice sentiments and is a worthy farewell from the Olympics but I don't think it's anything that someone who went to a prep school couldn't write on their own.

PhlyHighPhilly
08-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Pretty sure Kobe is fluent in two other languages, Italian and Spanish. He may have never went to college, but that has is no reason to assume he is not smart. Hell, some of the smartest kids at my college can't conduct themselves in public for their lives.

b@llhog24
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:

Kobe isnt stupid...but that sounds like the tone of a journalist, it contains nuance, long and short sentences, pacing, transitions etc. this must have been seen by an editor

Have you ever heard a Kobe interview?

Bill Gates dropped out of college and look how he ended up. :shrug:

I don't get how this has turned into a grammar thread. The guy knows Italian for goodness sake! There is nothing about a Kobe interview that has ever made me think that he wasn't intelligent. What he wrote has very nice sentiments and is a worthy farewell from the Olympics but I don't think it's anything that someone who went to a prep school couldn't write on their own.

+1. I think he knows about at least 5 languages.

Aust
08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I think he knows some Mandarin too

JNA17
08-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Kobe is fluent in Spanish and Italian, along with speaking his native language, enlglish. Like him or not, he's very intelligent. You can also tell he's very well spoken in his interviews or press conferences.

You can also see the difference in his vocabulary compared to 95% of the NBA when you see press conferences like Dwight Howard's most recent press conference. Seriously, watch how many times Dwight says "you know".

And Longhorn or whatever your username is spelled, your a fool if you think college determines a person's intelligence. I guess Bill Gates being the college drop out he is (he was actually kicked out of college too, true story) is just a nobody and a brain dead moron right?...oh wait.

b@llhog24
08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Kobe is fluent in Spanish and Italian, along with speaking his native language, enlglish. Like him or not, he's very intelligent. You can also tell he's very well spoken in his interviews or press conferences.

You can also see the difference in his vocabulary compared to 95% of the NBA when you see press conferences like Dwight Howard's most recent press conference. Seriously, watch how many times Dwight says "you know".

And Longhorn or whatever your username is spelled, your a fool if you think college determines a person's intelligence. I guess Bill Gates being the college drop out he is (he was actually kicked out of college too, true story) is just a nobody and a brain dead moron right?...oh wait.

Add Steve Jobs and Marc Zuckerberg as well.

Becks2307
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
:facepalm::facepalm:

Have you ever heard a Kobe interview?

Yes

naps
08-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Sad that the Olympics are over. For some reason it felt a little too quick than the previous ones.

EDIT: Oh and no way he wrote it by himself. This is too good on grammar to be written by a high school graduate. It looks more like either a piece of an English professor or a journalist.

ThunderousDemon
08-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Sad that the Olympics are over. For some reason it felt a little too quick than the previous ones.

EDIT: Oh and no way he wrote it by himself. This is too good on grammar to be written by a high school graduate. It looks more like either a piece of an English professor or a journalist.

If Naps disagrees, then Kobe did indeed write it himself.

BKLYNpigeon
08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
who cares.

JNA17
08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Add Steve Jobs and Marc Zuckerberg as well.

And Paul Allen (co founder of Microsoft) and Richard Branson (dropped out of freaking high school at 16 for ****s sake lol), Michael Dell, Mike Hudack, etc.

Theres a REALLY long list lol.

JNA17
08-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Yeah just ignore it.

Yes, that poster is an "it" because no human being can be as incompetent or delusional than that thing....oh I forgot, we just call them trolls. :p

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-13-2012, 10:51 PM
I think we should open up a PSD National Institute of Troll School. All trolls welcome.

JNA17
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
I think we should open up a PSD National Institute of Troll School. All trolls welcome.

Naps gets to be the test rat. Dnewguy gets assigned to "special classes", and Domefavors is one of those "goth kids".

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Naps gets to be the test rat. Dnewguy gets assigned to "special classes", and Domefavors is one of those "goth kids".

:rimshot:

MiamiLoyal926
08-13-2012, 11:05 PM
For all of those defending his intelligence, by no means does questioning his ability to write this piece insinuate he is not a smart and intellectual person.

Writing is a form of art. Most of us write with the purpose of getting an idea or point across to the reader. Then there are those who write to capture the senses, excite the emotions, tell a captivating and indulging story, and overall engage the audience. Kobe does not fancy me an advanced writer who can express his thoughts with the finesse of a true student of the art. This piece yells such ability to write. I may be wrong, but the person who put this piece together is more than just a casual writer and I have my doubts that it was solely composed and edited by Kobe.

P.s. if it was not evident, I am thoroughly impressed with what Kobe posted on his account. Nice words.

BKdoubleStacker
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM

lol @ this idiotic ignorant statement.

because the only way to become a writer or learn anything is to go to school right?

MiamiLoyal926
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
I have not witnessed trolling on this thread. As a result, I am curious as to why there are people calling out trolls in here? It almost seems as if it is the preset response to opinions or notions posed by others that disagree with your own beliefs.

b@llhog24
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Funny how true this is.

And Paul Allen (co founder of Microsoft) and Richard Branson (dropped out of freaking high school at 16 for ****s sake lol), Michael Dell, Mike Hudack, etc.

Theres a REALLY long list lol.

Lol. I guess the key to being succesful is dropping out of school. Probably explains why I haven't found it yet. :shrug:

:laugh2:

For all of those defending his intelligence, by no means does questioning his ability to write this piece insinuate he is not a smart and intellectual person.

Writing is a form of art. Most of us write with the purpose of getting an idea or point across to the reader. Then there are those who write to capture the senses, excite the emotions, tell a captivating and indulging story, and overall engage the audience. Kobe does not fancy me an advanced writer who can express his thoughts with the finesse of a true student of the art. This piece yells such ability to write. I may be wrong, but the person who put this piece together is more than just a casual writer and I have my doubts that it was solely composed and edited by Kobe.

P.s. if it was not evident, I am thoroughly impressed with what Kobe posted on his account. Nice words.

Look I'm no Kobe lover, I've been called a Kobe hater a ton of times on this forum alone. But most of his interviews are in line with the level of writing displayed in this statement. Well unless he's being surly. :laugh2:

Aust
08-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Well said sir. Much respect :nod:

MiamiLoyal926
08-13-2012, 11:24 PM
^ I guess I just do not see enough of his interviews to have this preconceived notion that he is truly capable of writing this eloquently. If he can, I am truly impressed. I have a new found respect for him. From what I have had the chance to see, although he does sound educated and well spoken, he does not necessarily convey to me that he can write such a well composed piece.

MiamiLoyal926
08-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Well said sir. Much respect :nod:

Thank you for your feedback kind gentleman. Much appreciated.

LakersMaster24
08-13-2012, 11:30 PM
"Intelligence" is not the same as "education".

You can graduate from college and be a moron. You can also never go to school and be intelligent. Intelligence is not measured in school grades.

RaiderLakersA's
08-13-2012, 11:57 PM

That's a very peculiar regard, don't you think? You'd be surprised at the number of great writers who never attended college.

By the same token, you'd be equally surprised at the number of college and advanced degree recipients that can't write a decent line of prose to save their lives.

Learn more; generalize less.

ChitownBears22
08-14-2012, 12:00 AM

You realize anyone can attend college. Hell I believe Jobs and Gates were college dropouts. Do you think they are stupid and can't articulate thoughts well?

ChitownBears22
08-14-2012, 12:01 AM
That's a very peculiar regard, don't you think? You'd be surprised at the number of great writers who never attended college.

By the same token, you'd be equally surprised at the number of college and advanced degree recipients that can't write a decent line of prose to save their lives.

Learn more; generalize less.

Sarah Palin went to college.

Point proven

3ballbomber
08-14-2012, 12:06 AM
a bunch of bored sob's in here.

the PSD culture of using the word 'Troll' 'Trolling' is quite embarrassing. Enough already. Could you imagine a grown a*s man using the word 'Troll' in a sentence either online or real life situations!

ChitownBears22
08-14-2012, 12:10 AM

the PSD culture of using the word 'Troll' 'Trolling' is quite embarrassing. Enough already. Could you imagine a grown a*s man using the word 'Troll' in a sentence either online or real life situations!

It would probably be as embarrassing as standing on a soap box on an online forum trying to preach about the utilization of a simple word.

Lakeshow24KB
08-14-2012, 12:12 AM
You guys don't even know Kobe in real life to judge his intelligence. And rofl at the people saying he didn't go to college. He was too good for college so he went straight to the NBA.

RaiderLakersA's
08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
^ I guess I just do not see enough of his interviews to have this preconceived notion that he is truly capable of writing this eloquently. If he can, I am truly impressed. I have a new found respect for him. From what I have had the chance to see, although he does sound educated and well spoken, he does not necessarily convey to me that he can write such a well composed piece.

It's not uncommon for the inner voice to be far more eloquent than the persona that comes across in one's public voice. It is a challenge for self expression that we all have.

For the past 20 years or so I've worked with BigLaw attorneys and I can assure you that many of them, for all of their otherworldly intellect, are far less impressive when speaking publicly as they are when expressing themselves with the pen...or in this case, with a keyboard.

And of course it goes without saying that when we sit to write, usually it is with that elegant inner voice that we express ourselves. Let's not be too alarmed that Kobe has this capacity.

What should alarm us is that Kobe is sharing his thoughts at all. I can remember a time when everyone believed him to be too closed, too withdrawn, too cerebral, too austere to share his inner musings with anyone.

"You're welcome."

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-14-2012, 12:59 AM

You just did.

You're Welcome. :)

8kobe24
08-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Who care who wrote it. Point is these are Kobe's thoughts even if he didn't write it. Anyway, I know Kobe enjoyed the Olympics to the FULLEST...Olympic Village chicks:drool:

tapajafri
08-14-2012, 03:06 AM
^^He did write it. His statement on Dwight appeared first on his Facebook, and Kobe's representatives themselves said that Kobe wrote his own stuff on Fb.

nahhhhhhh. he didn't write it.

naps
08-14-2012, 03:26 AM

Pretty mature post:rolleyes: When people do name-calling and personal attacks in their posts you know they are out of logical words and you also know their age. Kids these days...

lol @ this idiotic ignorant statement.

Because you know for sure he wrote it? Do you live in his sacks?

because the only way to become a writer or learn anything is to go to school right?

Absolutely. You have to have adequate level education on the language if you wanna write a grammatically sophisticated piece. I guess you didn't take those entry level college ENC classes where they teach how to write a paper. There is a reason why they make students take those classes.

3ballbomber
08-14-2012, 05:14 AM
It would probably be as embarrassing as standing on a soap box on an online forum trying to preach about the utilization of a simple word.
yeah, ok

3ballbomber
08-14-2012, 05:15 AM
You just did.

You're Welcome. :)
cheeky

PraiseJesus
08-14-2012, 06:24 AM
This is my farewell post to this god awful thread

PJ out

BALLER R
08-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Kobe is smarter than a lot of guys in the NBA that actually went to college.

TmacBryant
08-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Have you seen how KG talks, now compare that to Kobe. Just because he didn't go to college doesn't mean he didn't write that.

MiamiLoyal926
08-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Absolutely. You have to have adequate level education on the language if you wanna write a grammatically sophisticated piece. I guess you didn't take those entry level college ENC classes where they teach how to write a paper. There is a reason why they make students take those classes.

Although I went through all the enc and Gordon rule courses at the college level, it was not any of those classes that had any insight on how to write. I truly developed my writing in high school. College only served as a critique to my writing and not a vessel in which it was developed.

MiamiLoyal926
08-14-2012, 06:46 AM
This is my farewell post to this god awful thread

PJ out

To much higher order thinking involved in this thread?

It is awful because it is not basic "Kobe is the goat" and "Kobe is a ball hog" retaliations?

MiamiLoyal926
08-14-2012, 06:58 AM
It's not uncommon for the inner voice to be far more eloquent than the persona that comes across in one's public voice. It is a challenge for self expression that we all have.

For the past 20 years or so I've worked with BigLaw attorneys and I can assure you that many of them, for all of their otherworldly intellect, are far less impressive when speaking publicly as they are when expressing themselves with the pen...or in this case, with a keyboard.

And of course it goes without saying that when we sit to write, usually it is with that elegant inner voice that we express ourselves. Let's not be too alarmed that Kobe has this capacity.

What should alarm us is that Kobe is sharing his thoughts at all. I can remember a time when everyone believed him to be too closed, too withdrawn, too cerebral, too austere to share his inner musings with anyone.

"You're welcome."

I guess you are right and bring up a great point. I'm more in shock at how well this was written. Writing does provide the opportunity to thoroughly ponder, brainstorm, and critique your thoughts whereas speaking does not provide the same opportunities. It allows for better expression of ones thoughts and beliefs over verbal expression. Thank you for your enlightening insight into this topic.

PraiseJesus
08-14-2012, 06:58 AM
To much higher order thinking involved in this thread?

It is awful because it is not basic "Kobe is the goat" and "Kobe is a ball hog" retaliations?

As someone pointed out, a prep school student could have written that.

The real message of what he wrote is being overlooked.

This thread is just a giant fail

MiamiLoyal926
08-14-2012, 07:57 AM
As someone pointed out, a prep school student could have written that.

The real message of what he wrote is being overlooked.

This thread is just a giant fail

This thread might very well be a "fail", but I fail to see or agree with you in this matter. You have merely presented your opinion without reasoning. Please provide us with your reasoning as to why you feel this thread is a fail otherwise we may have difficulty understanding or seeing it from your point of view.

I personally feel that if there is more to a player than just his on court abilities, it is definitely worthy of analyzing and critiquing just as much as his game. It happens all the time with the likes of Lebron. Only difference is that in this thread, for the most part, has been mature critiques and not childish jokes. As a result, I feel this thread has not been a fail or waste of brain cells as many other threads many times become. My thought and perspective has been stimulated.

tapajafri
08-17-2012, 07:36 PM
..............kobe still didn't write it.