PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many youngsters enamored with Pete Maravich?

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Serious question, for a guy I know most people havent seen, I see him get quite abit of praise, meanwhile a guy like Tmac/Vince get hated on by those same fans.

Im baffled by this.

BigCityofDreams
08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Probably has to do with his style of play.

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
That would be disturbing if true

Rivera
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I never even knew youngsters know who pistol pete was.

Ive never head anyone in my neighborhood or basketball community (the birthplace of basketball) say: "yo remember that white dude pete maravich? He was nasty"

But its okay cause this isnt the fist time chronz has made a baseless claim or said that someone said something but they really didnt

Gibby23
08-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Because of "Pistol" infront of the name.

Showtime Steve
08-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Who hates on tmac n vince?? High flyers dont last long. And petes game transcends to todays game. Very fancy. And for all his praise (i liked his game as well) he was turnover prone. Idk how many people ar enomored though. Rubio is very similiar.

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Ive never head anyone in my neighborhood or basketball community (the birthplace of basketball) say: "yo remember that white dude pete maravich? He was nasty"

But its okay cause this isnt the fist time chronz has made a baseless claim or said that someone said something but they really didnt

U GOT BEEF SON?

Im not talking about your neighborhood, Im talking about the online community known as PSD.

BigCityofDreams
08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
That would be disturbing if true

Well you said it yourself many youngsters never saw him play so they can only go on highlights and stories passed down from ppl that actually saw him. Whenever someone tells a young individual about a sports figure they grew up watching and admired the stories will be slanted to the positive side. As a result, the youngster's opinion of Pete is formed w/o knowing everything about him.

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Who hates on tmac n vince?? High flyers dont last long. And petes game transcends to todays game. Very fancy. And for all his praise (i liked his game as well) he was turnover prone. Idk how many people ar enomored though. Rubio is very similiar.
Dont mean to put you on the spot showtime but these are the kind of posts I dont get.

Aside from his hair, how exactly are they alike. Flair? Sure, but Rubio has vision and Pistol was a chucker.

Still though, props for pointing out that his game would translate to today.

Heres a question for you tho, when a player is too far ahead of his time that it actually hurts his potential in HIS TIME, is that a good or bad thing?

rocket
08-13-2012, 06:32 PM
My high school basketball coach is Pete Maravich's cousin.

;D

fadedmario
08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Serious question, for a guy I know most people havent seen, I see him get quite abit of praise, meanwhile a guy like Tmac/Vince get hated on by those same fans.

Im baffled by this.

Pistol Pete was the most soulful white NBA player ever. He could light it up and was the original flashy passer..

Didn't he die young also?

ManningToTyree
08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
His flashy style of play

asandhu23
08-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Pistol Pete was the most soulful white NBA player ever. He could light it up and was the original flashy passer..

false. Bob Cousy.

agureghian
08-13-2012, 06:39 PM
44ppg for 4 seasons @ LSU

ThuglifeJ
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Vince and Tmac are the most talented basketball players ive ever seen play basketball. They had too much possibility on each pocession to be able to put it all together in one game.

but they wont be remembered like that, they get too much hate because they werent as good as MJ tho they had the potentional to.

honestly they are pretty good guys tho with good character, I dont know why even analysts/espn threw them aside when they got old...i always thought theyd be reminiscant of the two like they do past talents.

and Pistol Pete from what i've seen was a selfish version of steve nash...as in if Steve Nash wanted to he could run up the court n just show off/chuck the whole game rather than run the offense efficiently

smith&wesson
08-13-2012, 06:45 PM

pistol pete does infact get praise and love here on psd. maybe you havent noticed :shrug: its not a baseless claim imo.

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Yes, I wonder if that adds to his mystique. Some people feel bad for talking down on a guy with such a tragic story. I forget the details at the moment but Pete said something about not wanting basketball to consume his life and that he would be deeply hurt if he had died at 40 with basketball as his greatest accomplishment.

Do you think its better to be a collegiate star, or someone who can make the leap to the NBA as a teenager?

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
pistol pete does infact get praise and love here on psd. maybe you havent noticed :shrug: its not a baseless claim imo.
Thank you for that, I didnt feel like searching for the posts that made me think of making this thread.

smith&wesson
08-13-2012, 06:51 PM

Im baffled by this.

tmac and vince were super talented players who were slowed down by injuries in their prime. but they were beasts when healthy.

pistol pete is a guy no one really knows here. they just hear that he was great with out knowing about his actual career so the asumption is made that he was better then alot of these players that we know well today.

smith&wesson
08-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Thank you for that, I didnt feel like searching for the posts that made me think of making this thread.

np man.. just telling it like it is.

valade16
08-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Do you think its better to be a collegiate star, or someone who can make the leap to the NBA as a teenager?

Was going straight from High School to the Pros as prevalent as it is today?

Was it a socially accepted thing to do in Basketball before the 90s?

fadedmario
08-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Didn't Moses Malone do it?

fadedmario
08-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Just checked. Malone did do it - holy **** - look at his numbers - shocking..

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonmo01.html

Chronz
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM

If you were good enough why not, it was harder for perimeter players but the question is, lets say both players end up becoming stars, would you prioritize what the player did in college over what they did in the NBA?

To me, being a promising phenom in the NBA means more than being the great among other kids.

b@llhog24
08-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Its probably older posters here more so than younger posters. The second you correct them just how "awful" he was, they reply "well you're probably too young to have seen him play."

davids22
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
He's a beast because he was the best scorer in NCAA history and did some very very flashy passes.

Taken directly from his Wikipedia

Maravich's longstanding collegiate scoring record is particularly impressive when two other factors are taken into account:

First, NCAA rules at the time of Maravich's collegiate career prohibited freshmen from taking part in varsity competition, preventing Maravich from adding to his career record for a full quarter of his time at LSU. During this first year, Maravich scored 741 points in freshman competition.
Second, Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. His long-distance shooting skill thus produced far fewer points than would have been the case in a later era. Years later, former LSU head basketball coach Dale Brown charted every college game Maravich played, taking into consideration all shots he took. Brown calculated that at the NCAA rule of a three-point line at 19-foot (5.8 m), 9-inches from the rim, Maravich would have averaged thirteen 3-point scores per game, lifting the player's career average to 57 points per game.[8]

That's just insane. In the NBA he was still a scoring machine (averaged 24.2 PPG during his career) and made the flashy passes to go with it. This highlight video is from his LSU days but still shows what he could do. Watch it here. (http://youtu.be/n8qUZILi8IM)

fadedmario
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
OMG - 2:18 in that video..

Kashmir13579
08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Because he was a loose cannon.

Kashmir13579
08-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I love watching his highlights btw... I wish he played in todays NBA game. His stats would look better.

BobbyHillSwag
08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
I hate to bring race in here, but i think it has something to do with it. When I went to school you had these white boys acting like pete maravich was the best player ever, seriously. Their dad mustve let them watch that pistol pete movie or something and they became enamored with it. They should of atleast gave a worthy white player a movie like that "larry bird". It wouldnt have been a problem then if they thought he was one of the greatest.

*this was not a racist post*

asandhu23
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
I hate to bring race in here, but i think it has something to do with it. When I went to school you had these white boys acting like pete maravich was the best player ever, seriously. Their dad mustve let them watch that pistol pete movie or something and they became enamored with it. They should of atleast gave a worthy white player a movie like that "larry bird". It wouldnt have been a problem then if they thought he was one of the greatest.

*this was not a racist post*

I think Bird in his autobiography said his and Magic's battles became racial wins. White fans got after Bird and Black fans went after Magic.

Wilt said something along the lines in his autobiography when he said that once black players started dominating the NBA, the media tried to pit white players against black players and Bill Walton, Jerry West and Pete Maravich were already being marketed as the White Hope.

I have his autobiography right here. He mentions this on pg 54.

He says media started looking for the next great white player when he, Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor were 1-2-3 in scoring, him and Bill Russell were 1-2 in rebounds, Oscar and Guy Rodgers were 1-2 in assists and Boston Celtics with its black players were winning championships. In that season, he says that Jerry West was chosen as the next great white player. He said that they did this with Rick Barry and Pete Maravich and probably would do it again with Bill Walton when he turned pro.

JordansBulls
08-14-2012, 09:11 AM
I think it is because of his college days.

joeystats
08-14-2012, 09:25 AM

This

Rentzias
08-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Im baffled by this.
First off, what/who do you mean by "youngsters"?

Second, this is also the same generation (potentially) that grew up on the AND1 Mixtape, and Maravich was doing some stuff that was very AND1-friendly and doing it in college, the pro game, etc.

The guy was a technique machine manufactured by Press Maravich, his college numbers were gaudy because his father coached the team to highlight him, and if you look at his game logs, he also had some insane turnover numbers. Nonetheless, a joy to watch, and someone to enjoy when you're watching the game from a purely aesthetic point of view.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure he's the one who teaches Rose how to dribble in 2k12, so I suppose there is that.

Kids love video games.

BKLYNpigeon
08-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Its all Hearsay.

People didnt know Pistol Pete until they compared Lebrons season average stats to Pistol Pete's on TV.

These kids on PSD dont really know anything about the game, they just regurgitate everything they read on HoopsHype, Twitter and ESPN. they are the ones posting the stupid threads like: potential Lakers chemistry issues, best white player in the NBA, worst NBA contracts, etc.

BullySixChicago
08-14-2012, 10:11 AM
false. Bob Cousy.
please I saw both play and Bob was a great passer but he was no where near the pistol as a passer. I saw the end of BC's career and the entire career of pistol even his college games. Pistol avg 44 Pts per game as a college player and with 3pt line.
Pistol could do things with the basketball thst the Cose could mot even dream about doing.

BobbyHillSwag
08-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I think Bird in his autobiography said his and Magic's battles became racial wins. White fans got after Bird and Black fans went after Magic.

Wilt said something along the lines in his autobiography when he said that once black players started dominating the NBA, the media tried to pit white players against black players and Bill Walton, Jerry West and Pete Maravich were already being marketed as the White Hope.

I have his autobiography right here. He mentions this on pg 54.

He says media started looking for the next great white player when he, Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor were 1-2-3 in scoring, him and Bill Russell were 1-2 in rebounds, Oscar and Guy Rodgers were 1-2 in assists and Boston Celtics with its black players were winning championships. In that season, he says that Jerry West was chosen as the next great white player. He said that they did this with Rick Barry and Pete Maravich and probably would do it again with Bill Walton when he turned pro.

I imagined the bird and magic wars would have a lot to do with race. Btw, do you know where you can get that wilt autobiography from? it seems interesting.

davids22
08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
I mean, I'm sure race IS an issue. But can you blame white kids growing up in the 70s and 80s (in a time when the black athlete had already taken over the sport) for idolizing someone that looked like them and presumably came from the same background as them? It's no different than urban black kids looking up to the NBA stars that came from nothing; the "rags to riches" story. No harm in it.

Not to take away from anything that Pistol has ever done, since the dude could clearly ball. No one averages 44+ PPG in college without being good at basketball.

bucketss
08-14-2012, 04:14 PM
please I saw both play and Bob was a great passer but he was no where near the pistol as a passer. I saw the end of BC's career and the entire career of pistol even his college games. Pistol avg 44 Pts per game as a college player and with 3pt line.
Pistol could do things with the basketball thst the Cose could mot even dream about doing.

how old are you?

JayW_1023
08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Pete Maravich and Iverson have so many career parallels.

BobbyHillSwag
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Pete Maravich and Iverson have so many career parallels.

yea only difference iverson was a much better player

CavsYanksDuke
08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Uhhh he did avg more pts than anyone ever in college so...

sportscrazy34
08-14-2012, 04:37 PM
The Pistol: The Birth of a Legend (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102674/)

Doesn't hurt him any to have his own movie.

BklynKnicks3
08-14-2012, 04:39 PM
because him n earl monroe where prolly the only 2 guard that had any swag and flair to their games

C_Mund
08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
He was an enigma. The man was bred to be a basketball machine from the time he was a baby. But, like most humans that are treated like machines, he had a....."lubrication" problem. The guy was a crazy alcoholic and completely bi-polar. He had learned skills that, if used properly, could have made him the best all-round offensive threat ever seen in somebody his size. Instead he focused on volume scoring and making flashy passes because he became ego-driven and needed to be the centre of attention. Winning often came second to scoring and assists, not to mention the level of difficulty in every pass he attempted.
He also used to tour with pro teams as a six year old that could hit 20-foot running hook shots and had better handles than almost anybody in the entire world. His dad would hang him out of a car going 30 mph and have him dribble with each hand to get used to moving at high speeds. He was locked in a gym with the lights turned out for hours at a time so he could handle without ever once seeing the ball..... a person can only handle so much.....

asandhu23
08-14-2012, 04:41 PM
I imagined the bird and magic wars would have a lot to do with race. Btw, do you know where you can get that wilt autobiography from? it seems interesting.

Don't know. My high school was throwing old books away and I found the first edition of his autobiography in there.

asandhu23
08-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Doesn't change the history though. The Cooz was the original flashy player.

John Walls Era
08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
They mean the water pistol pete.

heusy_79
08-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Not sure where the OP is getting his research from, but I don't hear much chatter about Pete Maravich these days. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if younger people thought of Pete Sampras first when they hear Pistol Pete.

tmacsc2
08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
To answer the OP, i think a lot of young people see pistols highlight tapes and they just think wow this guy was amazing....i mean seriously some of those things he did was ridiculous and i also think that some kids like his style of passing more than his shooting game....those passes are sweet! And one more thing i think every time pete is brought up by the media there are those crazy claims like how he could dribble out of a car going 10 or 20 MPH i know it wasnt 30 for sure. So in a sense all of the tall tales about his game are what catapult him to the top of young peoples minds.....

I know i think highly of him (22 years old)just for the passes i have watched him throw.....my personal fave is the full court underhand pass! i try it every now and then. And i also like how well he could handle the rock...but im not one of those people that bash on VC or Tmac

old blue
08-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Flashy game, good shooter, sloppy appearance

Chronz
08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Uhhh he did avg more pts than anyone ever in college so...

Collegiate success rarely garners NBA praise. I see him get listed among the games very best SG's