PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rumor: Pau Gasol for Josh Smith

JordansBulls
08-13-2012, 05:38 PM
http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981540816

The LA Times reported that the team was looking at trading veteran Pau Gasol to the Atlanta Hawks for Josh Smith a few weeks ago and now that the Lakers have added Dwight Howard, making a deal for his AAU playing partner could make this a complete team.

The Lakers have struggled to find a quality small forward for years and acquiring the young Smith could have this team contending for several titles. Gasol had a terrific summer playing for Spain in the Olympics, but his playoff struggles have fans and the team questioning his heart, but a move to Atlanta would breathe new life in the veteran and give the Hawks the experience they need.

This deal would require both teams to make a tough decision, but swapping these two forwards would actually help both franchises. The Hawks would get the veteran they need to lead their youngsters and the LA Lakers would add a younger player that could play alongside Howard for several years, especially now that Kobe Bryant is entering the twilight of his NBA career.

While nothing concrete about this rumor is happening, this trade is one that could really change the landscape of the league and make fans of both cities excited about the upcoming basketball season.

BTW, didn't see anything on LA times regarding this rumor.

BranWingss
08-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I can't see this happening.

yaswaggin
08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
If I'm the lakers I keep pau

If you don't win a championship this year, you ship off pau possibly for a high pick

Then sign josh smith in free agency (he will be unrestricted next season)

MP.Trey
08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
L.A.'s made enough moves. If they're not satisfied now, they never will be.

seikou8
08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
gasol >smith why would lakers do this

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-13-2012, 05:45 PM
their line up would be sooooo nasty sick
nash
bryant
smith/mwp
smith
howard

AKAYaReal
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Gasol compliments Howards game much better then Smith.

b@llhog24
Their D would probably improve, but Josh doesn't really space the floor like Pau.

Cal827
gasol >smith why would lakers do this

It wouldn't just be Smith for Gaslol.. Come on we are talking Lakers

Probably be Gasol for Smith, Horford, Teague, Atlanta's next three unprotected first round picks, and a week with the group OutKast.

DoMeFavors
08-13-2012, 05:47 PM
With Gasol they are better but I think if they were to do it, it would be for when Kobe and Nash retire. Dwight would still have a guy near his age in his prime with him in LA.

SA5195
08-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Gasol fits better, but I wouldn't be surprised if Smith came over. Aren't Smith and Dwight childhood friends?

MP.Trey
08-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Yeah, if this happens, get ready to see a career high in 3 pointers shot for Josh Smith in an attempt to "stretch the floor" and "open the key up" for Dwight.

Mike Brown probably would not discourage it either. :laugh2:

Jays Claw
08-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Pau seems to fit in well with the current Lakers starting lineup and I really can't see how Smith would be an upgrade. If they make this trade, what is it for? To please Dwight by bringing in his boyfriend who he played with at AAU?

D12 fan
08-13-2012, 05:50 PM
No way LA trades Pau without waiting to see if Dwight comes back 100%,I can see this happening at the trade deadline if LA isn't playing well.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
while pau is better for dwight, smith could run with nash n run pick n roll with him also can kind of space the floor albeit not a great shooter from outside at least not as good as pau

RLundi
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
This is NOT happening.

seikou8
08-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Probably be Gasol for Smith, Horford, Teague, Atlanta's next three unprotected first round picks, and a week with the group OutKast.

yup and lebron james mom :laugh2::laugh2:

b@llhog24
08-13-2012, 05:54 PM
No way LA trades Pau without waiting to see if Dwight comes back 100%,I can see this happening at the trade deadline if LA isn't playing well.

:speechless: a valid point by D12fan. But yea Josh really can't play center.

while pau is better for dwight, smith could run with nash n run pick n roll with him also can kind of space the floor albeit not a great shooter from outside at least not as good as pau

:confused:

BobbyHillSwag
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
this would be horrible for the lakers, they'd be out of their minds to do this. They need to give this current team a chance first

reffahead
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
nash
bryant
smith/mwp
smith
howard

Josh is so good he plays two positions at the same time. But in reality Gasol makes too much. Atl will never go over the lux tax with so many teams willing to pay heavy LT penalties.

LakersMaster24
08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
******** rumor. Dont believe it.

ATX
08-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Haha, this is exactly what I was thinking. It's the Lakers. Why should they have to give up P Gasol, when they can just offer 2 second rounders and S Blake for J Smith, and yes have the Hawks throw in Horford too for a protected 2018 1st.

LakersA's49ers
hell no. josh smith can run the break, but his jump shot makes me want to puke

unleashthebeast
Another huge personality like Smoove is the last thing that the Lakers need right now. Pau is also a better offensive fit with Dwight.

But damn, the defense of Josh Smith next to Dwight would be ridiculous :drool:

--23--
Jeff Teague + Smith + Korver for Gasol and Blake this sounds more like a Lakers trade :laugh2:

Lake_Show2416
08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
just another old rumor popping back up again after all the excitement, nothings happening

Super.
08-13-2012, 06:16 PM

If you don't win a championship this year, you ship off pau possibly for a high pick

lolwut? They will still be very over the cap limit with Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and Artest.

And the whole notion of Pau for a high pick? What rebuilding team would want to trade for an aging Pau?

justjames
08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
This isn't happening because it screws with the Lakers getting under the luxury tax for the 14-15 season.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah, makes total sense.

Trade for smith who BARELY had MINIMALY better stats last year as the MAIN inside option of their team and as 1b option no less for a dude that had almost same stats playing as THIRD option, and OUT OF POSITION and heavily MISUSED.

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
This deal should have been done a long time ago, Ive been making this deal since 2k10

Chronz
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah, makes total sense.

Trade for smith who BARELY had MINIMALY better stats last year as the MAIN inside option of their team and as 1b option no less for a dude that had almost same stats playing as THIRD option, and OUT OF POSITION and heavily MISUSED.

Defense? Friendship with Dwight?

D12 fan
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
This isn't happening because it screws with the Lakers getting under the luxury tax for the 14-15 season.

Yeah LA will be sitting nicely in 2yrs when Dwight/Nash only on the roster.They will have plenty of money to pair Dwight with 2 more stars.

2014 Lakers big 3 (Dwight/Melo/?):D

DWhiteTheTruth
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I would not trade Pau for Josh Smith, and I like Josh Smith a lot.

smith&wesson
08-13-2012, 06:24 PM
gasol>j.smith.

if howard got injured gasol could start at C. gasol streatches the floor better for howard as well.

The lakers should just get barbosa as their 6th man and call it an offseason.

Trueblue2
08-13-2012, 06:25 PM
If this happens it wont be until the trade deadline and I don't see the Lakers doing it without getting Teague or Lou Williams back with Smith.

Financially they can't be traded for each other straight up so somebody else would have to come to LA.

And where did this notion that Gasol stretches the floor come from? Just because he's European doesn't mean he's an outside shooter. He'll hit a midrange shot every now and then, but make no mistake he's best when he's posting up.

flatbush knicks
08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
why the fck would the hawks do that come on now

D12 fan
08-13-2012, 06:31 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:Flatbush has spoken.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Defense? Friendship with Dwight?

Check whats the first thing kobe did after the ref called the final of the game yesterday.

Also check what where they two doing right after opening ceremony.

oak2455
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah LA will be sitting nicely in 2yrs when Dwight/Nash only on the roster.They will have plenty of money to pair Dwight with 2 more stars.

Who Fab Melo ? Carmelo begged to the Knicks , after this year he wants out?? Lmao:facepalm:

q-town81
08-13-2012, 06:43 PM
i could see the lakers trading pau gasol to rockets for kevin martin, prospects and future draft pick.

flatbush knicks
08-13-2012, 06:45 PM

:facepalm:
more like knicks big 3 in 2014 cp3 melo and chandler= dynasty
but i do see the lakers getting k love in 2014 thats still pretty dam good

UPRock
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
i could see the lakers trading pau gasol to rockets for kevin martin, prospects and future draft pick.

LOL that's a rape, Maybe for Kevin and a future draft pick...hell I don't even see that happening, no way in hell the Lakers trade Gasol for a guard.

Sactown
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Lol this is the Lakers we're talking about.. Atlanta would be lucky to get Steve Blake and MWP... It would be more like MWP straight up for Josh Smith

NYtilIdie
08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:Flatbush has spoken.

The BandwagonFan has spoken.

--23--
08-13-2012, 06:49 PM

When it comes to the Lakers anything is possible opposing Gm's like helping them.

D12 fan
08-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Who Fab Melo ? Carmelo begged to the Knicks , after this year he wants out?? Lmao:facepalm:

Next year is 2013 I said 2014.:facepalm:

Also he will want out after playing 2 more years with overpaid Amare/Chandler.

LakersMaster24
No one likes helping the Lakers. We just brainwash them and threaten their lives...well, Mitch does.

king4day
This would be a downgrade for the Lakers IMO. Gasol fits better with Howard I think. Smith is simply his friend and might help keep Howard from leaving. That's it.

UPRock
08-13-2012, 06:53 PM

He's from New York man, no way in hell Melo leaves them, he's going to retire a Knick.

THE MTL
08-13-2012, 06:55 PM
First of all, the lakers would never do this trade. This is actually a fair trade and LAL does not do fair trades.

An LA trade is more like: Smith & Horford for artest/gasol/2019 first rounder.

flatbush knicks
08-13-2012, 07:02 PM

genius in two years all three will be an expiring contract so if amare still sucks we could just trade him actually the majority of the team will be expiring we good go back to sniffing d12's jock strap and don't bring melo's name up again:mad:
:guns::faint:

Punk
08-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I can see this happening at the trade deadline if Pau isn't playing well or Dwight decides to verbally commit to the Lakers at the end of the season. But it would be a downgrade for the Lakers dominance.

justinnum1
08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
makes to much sense

THE MTL
08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
To the lakers fans. Knicks and lakers have no beef and havent for a very long time. Keep Carmelo Anthony off ur 2014 rosters!

Chronz
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Check whats the first thing kobe did after the ref called the final of the game yesterday.

Also check what where they two doing right after opening ceremony.

Why? Are the Lakers going to appease the 33 year old SG over their shiny new dominant center?

EDUTEXANS
I can see LA moving Pau for Smith if Atlanta takes MWP too. They are way over the luxury tax and LA is clearly not so happy with Gasol. It woudn't be such a bad move, IMO. They would lose a lot in talent but it would really help cap-wise. But, if the owner is OK with the taxes, they should keep Gasol. In the other hand, maybe Smith could help Howard stay or sign an extention now, although I don't see him leaving next season anyway

flatbush knicks
the reason this doesn't go down is cuz the hawks traded jj to build around horford and smith if they trade for gasol and he leaves nobody is going to want to go ther i can see the hawks trading him to houston for k mart and draft picks since the rockets want a star

Hawkeye15
08-13-2012, 07:13 PM
don't see the point for the Lakers. They would be getting an expiring, but it won't give them enough room to sign anyone, so why not keep the better player?

EDUTEXANS
08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
First of all, the lakers would never do this trade. This is actually a fair trade and LAL does not do fair trades.

No. A little too much, don't you think?

shep33
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I hope we don't do it. Pau can play center while/if Dwight is out.

BigCityofDreams
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM

An LA trade would be Pau + fillers for Love just so they could pull off another heist.

:nod::nod:

sixer04fan
08-13-2012, 08:08 PM

This.

NYKNYGNYY
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
If I'm the lakers I do it in a heartbeat get ridda gasols contract n get josh smith who I thinks better

oak2455
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM

And 2014 look who's under contract for the Knicks? Go get some cookies n milk I'll wait right here... Also again he wanted to be a Knick:D

lamzoka
08-13-2012, 08:39 PM
the lakers should've traded pau gasol for iggy

D12 fan
08-13-2012, 08:39 PM
And 2014 look who's under contract for the Knicks? Go get some cookies n milk I'll wait right here... Also again he wanted to be a Knick:D

He can opt out in 2014.:facepalm:

flatbush knicks
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
He can opt out in 2014.:facepalm:

yea but melo is a real man unlike lebrab he gets enough criticism in ny what do you think people would say about him if he went to lal:facepalm:

beasted86
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Salary cap?

moose84
08-13-2012, 08:53 PM

The Lakers will not have Cap room to sign him. He will get very close to a max deal and at 33 by then you wouldnt get a 'high draft pick'. The only teams willing to trade for him would be contenders and contenders dont have high draft picks.

I know it all seems so easy, but unless you lose Dwight next year only $4mil will come off the cap number and Lakers are $27mil over.

The best trade for the lakers would be to send him to Phoenix for some platers that are a better fit i.e. Frye (stretch 4 with Dwight), dudley (wing stopper), Morris (young banger with range) and Brad miller as filler. It would give depth and fit for lakers and someone for the season tickets in Phoenix.

STL Don
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Pau Gasol's name should not be brought up in trade discussion. People must be crazyy.
It was one thing to bring up the idea of possibly trading Pau in the beginning of the offseason, however, after trading for both Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, there's simply no reason to even think about trading Pau for anybody....unless you're on bathsalts.

STL Don
08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
I hope we don't do it. Pau can play center while/if Dwight is out.

It's not even just that.
If anything, it wouldn't even matter because we have Jordan Hill and Antawn Jamison coming off the bench who could fill in if Howard was out and we traded Pau.
It's the fact that Pau is a better basketball player than Smith and with Steve Nash running the point, it would be an awful decision to make that move and pass up that opportunity of them playing together.

D12 fan
08-13-2012, 09:04 PM
yea but melo is a real man unlike lebrab he gets enough criticism in ny what do you think people would say about him if he went to lal:facepalm:

If he went to LA they would say he is trying to win a championship.No disrespect to the Knicks but LA can sell Melo on winning championships and teaming up with the best center Dwight.You guys will have capspace to but it's not really another star you can pair Melo with in 2014.

c.c.
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
That's another person Nash can throw alley hoops to. D. Howard and Smith both some monster dunkers. The Lakers could use that excitement and youth that Pau lacks of.

Losoway
08-13-2012, 09:13 PM
josh smith and dwight howard together is not fair

i will cry if this happens

WiseCounsel
08-13-2012, 09:21 PM
This is an idiotic trade rumor especially after the D. Howard trade has been made and considering Pau makes much more sense with Nash and Princeton Offensive sets and the fact that Kobe has so publicly made it clear he didnt want Pau moved... Mitch is not that stupid. Whoever wrote this crap about Pau for Smith obviously has no clue and no sources.. so they are just passing rumors that make no sense...

Aust
08-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Heard these rumors before.
This move would be strictly to get young. Pau gives us a better chance at a chip for the next 2 years, but JSmith with Dwight would help us contend for the future(along with a 3rd player).
Would be fun for the two of them being friends and all. I'd need to take a look at the FA class over the next few years, and see if we could nab anyone better.

Sssmush
08-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Lakers have the luxury of this decision because the Dwight trade was so one sided. Nice problem to have.

Lakers are basically freerolling with Gasol.

Also, Gasol with luxury tax will cost $70M + in 2013 so that is a factor.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2012, 09:30 PM
If I'm the lakers I do it in a heartbeat get ridda gasols contract n get josh smith who I thinks better

so, you get a contract that expire in 2014 AT SAME tIMe than kobes and everybody except howard ( if he resigns) and nash and leaves the lakers with all the cap in the world in a F:A where players like, melo, wade, lebron, bosh,love can opt out of their contracts not to meantion other players that are UFA like granger.

and instead you pick a WORSE player who also needs to be resigned after THIS season adn will demmand almost top dollar to resign.

wich basically means lakers would have NO capspace for said year f.a?

Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aust
08-13-2012, 09:37 PM
so, you get a contract that expire in 2014 AT SAME tIMe than kobes and everybody except howard ( if he resigns) and nash and leaves the lakers with all the cap in the world in a F:A where players like, melo, wade, lebron, bosh,love can opt out of their contracts not to meantion other players that are UFA like granger.

and instead you pick a WORSE player who also needs to be resigned after THIS season adn will demmand almost top dollar to resign.

Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really think Wade and/or Lebron would hop over to the Lakers?

Losoway
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
wade and lebron will be a heat for life.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Do you really think Wade and/or Lebron would hop over to the Lakers?

wade? maybe not.
Lebron? let lakers win this two next rings, get him frustrated and come to the kingdom.

:D

twin4life
08-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Yes cause NBA doesnt have a salary cap... Should sign CP3 and Lebron and Love and Melo and Wade while their at it

thekmp211
08-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Haha, this is exactly what I was thinking. It's the Lakers. Why should they have to give up P Gasol, when they can just offer 2 second rounders and S Blake for J Smith, and yes have the Hawks throw in Horford too for a protected 2018 1st.

lol

Fireworld
08-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Nash and Pau make a better pick and pop. Not even close.

*Silver&Black*
08-13-2012, 11:26 PM
"LA TIMES reports" is all I have to know. LA writers need to look at other teams and understand they actually want to build teams too. Danny Ferry and Josh Smith look forward to Josh remaining a Hawk. Nice try though.

It's very insulting to say we need Gasol while he also writes that we are gathering a young, (and expiring players for cap space) team. Why would we want Gasol (and more years on a contract) again, especially after we traded Joe?

While nothing concrete about this rumor is happening, this trade is one that could really change the landscape of the league and make fans of both cities excited about the upcoming basketball season.

Guy is making this crap up and there are already "Josh Smith and Al Horford for Gasol and crap" trade ideas by Laker fans? Is this site infested with kids?

JNA17
08-13-2012, 11:41 PM
This rumor is false. Of course though, NBA writers have nothing better to do now. So they just make false Pau Gasol trade rumors since everybody loves to put him in trade scenarios now.

Also, Mitch would never trade Gasol for Josh Smith. He would trade MWP, Blake, Ebanks, and a 2019 first round pick and tell the GM "I have altered the deal, pry I don't alter it any further". The Hawks GM of course lets out a sign of relief and willingly accepts the offer like he just won the lottery; especially knowing that the deal could have been much worse.

Aust
08-13-2012, 11:51 PM
This rumor is false. Of course though, NBA writers have nothing better to do now. So they just make false Pau Gasol trade rumors since everybody loves to put him in trade scenarios now.

Also, Mitch would never trade Gasol for Josh Smith. He would trade MWP, Blake, Ebanks, and a 2019 first round pick and tell the GM "I have altered the deal, pry I don't alter it any further". The Hawks GM of course lets out a sign of relief and willingly accepts the offer like he just won the lottery; especially knowing that the deal could have been much worse.

I immediately thought of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpE_xMRiCLE

3ballbomber
08-13-2012, 11:52 PM
lol @ even the thought of trading away a player like Gasol for somebody like Josh Smith

*Silver&Black*
08-14-2012, 01:12 AM
How about since LA Times writers are making up trades, lets build a 3 team trade with the focus on the Hawks getting a young big man instead:

Hawks: Kevin Love

Lakers: Josh Smith

Wolves: Gasol and whatever they want or dump

kobe4thewinbang
08-14-2012, 01:19 AM
I would only make this trade if Gasol turns in another weak year despite his comments about being "excited" about the new Lakers roster. If he's not the Gasol that helped win 2 championships, LA should trade him for Smith and the appropriate other pieces by the trade deadline. Unless LA thinks they can nab him in free agency 2013 and then trade Gasol for a different package.

If they do this trade, Smith might bring in some spark for the playoffs. I know I'm not the only fan that is wary of Gasol's passion these days.

Either way, it's going to be a startling and divisive move for LA to make. But I've heard that Atlanta has been looking to trade Smith for a while now. They're kind of stuck in my opinion as a team right now. Just traded away their star, too.

*Silver&Black*
08-14-2012, 01:22 AM
You know, they could of pulled the Dwight trade with Atlanta in a 3 team deal, gave ATL Bynum and World Peace, ATL gives Orlando a salary dump and our 2 1sts next year, and the Lakers could of had Dwight and Josh with just Bynum and World Peace going out.

Lakers could of had:

Nash
Kobe
Smith
Gasol
Howard

Magic would be in the same boat with expirings and picks

Hawks would have Teague with Horford and Bynum in the paint.

DreamShaker
08-14-2012, 01:49 AM
I hope this happens. I respect the Lakers and Lakers fans, but love seeing them lose. This would be a horrible move.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Their defense in the front court would be the best in the league. Smith and Nash would be amazing IMO.

Steelers23_06
08-14-2012, 02:16 AM
is everyone forgetting about jamison. he can still ball. hes coming off a season averagin 17 ppg. he could easily start with this lineup. and this makes them wayyyy better defensively being able to match the faster paced teams like miami and okc while giving dwight more reason to stay. and if it doesnt work guess what IF they swing and miss they have the chance to blow up and restart with an amazing free agency coming up in either 2014 or 2015 based if players pick up their extensions. and they get younger by about 6 years in the trade. yea pau is prob they best big man in the league with the pick and roll but dont sleep on jamison. he is one of the best too. i like the move honestly. as a heat fan im more nervous about this trade happening then of the lakers current roster.

shep33
08-14-2012, 02:18 AM
I think this is a bad deal for both sides.

PurpleJesus
08-14-2012, 02:23 AM
My initial thoughts were that the Lakers should keep Pau...but when you look at the financial implications, and how much LA is rumored to be paying the roster this season, JSmith may be a good option. Lakers dont reallt get better or worse in this trade, yet, they lose Pau's contract, and gain JSmith's expiring, which may make it easier to re sign Dwight in the summer.

Steelers23_06
08-14-2012, 02:38 AM
My initial thoughts were that the Lakers should keep Pau...but when you look at the financial implications, and how much LA is rumored to be paying the roster this season, JSmith may be a good option. Lakers dont reallt get better or worse in this trade, yet, they lose Pau's contract, and gain JSmith's expiring, which may make it easier to re sign Dwight in the summer.

so what your saying is they get smith to have dwight see what its like to play with his homie (the main reason he wanted to leave ORL, to join friends) to just let his friend go and and keep him in LA.that makes NO sense! they are making this move to give dwight a reason to stay besides a lineup of 4 30+ players. this would be a move to keep smith for dwight to resign, youth plus one of his best friends to play with and the 2nd best SG to ever play...why leave?!

JoeDirt05
08-14-2012, 02:41 AM
hawks could do better

I Rock Shaqs
08-14-2012, 02:47 AM

The group Outkast? If someone doesn't know who Outkast is they need to be slapped in the face.

Steelers23_06
08-14-2012, 02:52 AM
hawks could do better

who? i have been looking for a scenario and cant think of one that better then pau...and the way the lakers are going they will throw in a 2020 1st round pick too lol. i think pau and horford would play good off each other. i cant think of a move that they get better then that.

sp1derm00
08-14-2012, 03:28 AM
No, I don't want this trade. Smith is a superior defender, but worse at everything else.

Pau's length and skill will allow him to play efficiently as he ages. Josh Smith, if anything happens to his athleticism, might go down the path of Jermaine O'neal.

Hellcrooner
08-14-2012, 03:31 AM
I love how people cites age as a reason...............

Lol.

Sssmush
08-14-2012, 03:38 AM

That is a good point. The Josh Smith trade doesn't make much sense... it makes Lakers younger but does restrict some possible choices because Smith gotta be maxed out after the season.

A Gasol trade that brought, say, Lamb, Patterson and a #1, and possibly Terrence Jones, from Houston would save a ton of dollars (literally, like $100M + dollars over two years) as well as let them build for the future with flexibility.

But seeing this Laker team with Nash/Gasol/Howard and oh yeah Kobe Bryant also will just be too awesome.

YoungOne
08-14-2012, 03:49 AM

they will have no capspace...

Blazers#1Fan
08-14-2012, 04:04 AM
Id do it just cuz age smiths skill set went way up after last year i seen dude hitten 3's like he never has he looked like lebron but not as good that being said

Portland needs to trade Matthews,fillers + picks for Josh Smith

Leonard
Aldridge
J.Smith
Batum
Lillard

Young and scary

Blazers#1Fan
08-14-2012, 04:05 AM
they will have no capspace...

Fo real there cap will be at 118 million way over

Evolution23
08-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Gasol is such an underrated player now. It's unbelievable!

TmacBryant
08-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Could only see this happening if Lakers get Teague out of this somehow.

JNA17
08-14-2012, 07:01 AM
I immediately thought of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpE_xMRiCLE

Haha love that show. And yes, that was the reference. :D

LakersSaintsLSU
08-14-2012, 07:03 AM
On one hand this team would be set for the future with JSmoove/D.Howard when kobe leaves,but were trying to send this guy off with as many rings as possible,man jim really does care bout the kobester kinda thought he'd hide his wallet until kobe retired

JordansBulls
08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I love how people cites age as a reason...............

Lol.

:clap:

Black Betsy
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Metta world peace and a 2 round pick for josh smith should land him.

topdog
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
If I'm Atlanta, I say "N-O!." They have the off chance of luring Dwight back home next year if they keep Josh Smith. Or, if Smith doesn't re-sign, they have a bunch of cap room. Gasol doesn't help ATL now that they've gone in a new direction (Johnson + Williams = gone)

Sssmush
08-14-2012, 03:56 PM
if Lakers trade Gasol, it should be like for a Denver/Melo or an N.O./CP3 type package of young picks, prospects and salary cap relief.

For basketball reasons...

FriedTofuz
08-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Josh smith isnt a small forward.

LoneWolf
08-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Gasol fits better, but I wouldn't be surprised if Smith came over. Aren't Smith and Dwight childhood friends?

Yeah because Howard is going to march straight to Mitch Kupchap's office to demand he trade the best low post big man in the game for a childhood friend who can't shoot and expect Mitch to listen.

reffahead
08-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah because Howard is going to march straight to Mitch Kupchap's office to demand he trade the best low post big man in the game for a childhood friend who can't shoot and expect Mitch to listen.

He wasn't even the best low post scorer on his team. Pau is a fine player but not worth 19-20 million a year in todays market.

Hellcrooner
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
He wasn't even the best low post scorer on his team. Pau is a fine player but not worth 19-20 million a year in todays market.

GO check advanced stats.

Best POST scorers on lakers last year.

1 Pau
2 Kobe
3 Bynum

Is not his fault stupid mike brown had him out in the perimeter shooting jumpers.

*Silver&Black*
08-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Metta world peace and a 2 round pick for josh smith should land him.

Someone should be kicked off the internet.

MrfadeawayJB
08-14-2012, 05:43 PM
That would be ******** if the lakers did that

JordansBulls
08-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Gasol to Bulls
Smith to Lakers
Boozer to Hawks

_KB24_
08-15-2012, 12:18 AM
^^ Why the hell would Atlanta do that trade?

rsweene
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
If we're hearing about it, its probably not true...

GREATNESS ONE
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Le No.

Bruno
08-15-2012, 12:24 AM
^^ Why the hell would Atlanta do that trade?

Atlanta would maybe consider that trade if Boozer wasn't owed 47.1 million dollars through 2015, but he is. although their front office was stupid enough to give a 29 year old Joe Johnson $120 million for six years (25 million dollars owed to him at age 34 :laugh2:), so who the hell knows.

Aust
08-15-2012, 12:31 AM
I'd rather keep Gasol and let him play out his contract, then sign a top talent FA(s)

Andrew32
08-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Gasol is better then Smith.

RaiderLakersA's
08-15-2012, 11:59 AM
The Lakers aren't going to move Gasol until Dwight's health is assured.

Hoffdollas60
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree gasol is better then smith not as athletic but all round better player

Heediot
08-15-2012, 12:11 PM
nash
bryant
smith/mwp
smith
howard

Gason/Howard over Josh/Howard. Gasol complements Dwight better.