PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mock Offseason Conference Semifinals: 1 Indiana Pacers vs. 4 Orlando Magic

Catfish1314
08-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Every summer, PSD holds a game which mocks that year's NBA offseason. This year, users from the site were randomly assigned the reigns of NBA franchises and had to utilize their skills via draft, trades, and free agency to improve their teams. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2012 NBA Mock Offseason.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

The Pacers have homecourt advantage in this Eastern Conference Semifinal series.

Pacers Depth Chart:

C: Roy Hibbert | Ronny Turiaf
PF: Josh Smith | Brandon Bass | Draymond Green
SF: Danny Granger | Matt Barnes | Jeffrey Taylor
SG: Dwyane Wade | Marco Bellinelli | Darius Miller
PG: Stephen Curry | Mario Chalmers

Magic Depth Chart:

C Ė Pau Gasol / Kurt Thomas / Bernard Scott
PF Ė Ryan Anderson / Marion / Jeremy Evans / Khris Middleton
SF Ė Shawn Marion / Brandon Roy
SG - Kevin Martin / Chauncey Billups / Roy
PG Ė Jrue Holliday / Derek Fisher

Pacers Write-up:

Congratulations to KnicksOrBust and Bruno87 for doing a great job with the magic and advancing to the Eastern Confernce Semi-Finals. This though will be their end as they run into a buzzsaw.

The Indiana Pacers are a team that has an onslaught of firepower, a 2x NBA Finals Champion and 1x NBA Finals MVP in Dwyane Wade leading the way with the PERFECT supporting cast around him to carry the Pacers to a chance at an NBA Finals run.

The Magic have their strengths but the Pacers will prove to be a team with too much firepower and veteran savvy that will end the Magic run in this series.

Pacers Depth Chart:
PG: Stephen Curry (32) | Mario Chalmers (16)
SG: Dwyane Wade (38) | Marco Belinelli (12)
SF: Danny Granger (34) | Matt Barnes (14)
PF: Josh Smith (20) | Brandon Bass (28)
C: Roy Hibbert (32) | Josh Smith (16) | Ronny Turiaf

Point Guard Matchup: Stephen Curry/Mario Chalmers vs. Jrue Holiday/Derek Fisher
This will be an interesting matchup. Stephen Curry is one of the most efficient scoring guards in the game, but Jrue Holiday is one of the best defensive guards in the game. In their previous matchups, Holiday hasnít been able to limit Curry, as Curry averaged 20 Pts, 6.3 Asts, and 3.3 Rbs on 50% shooting, and 47% shooting from deep. And if the Magic try to put Holiday on Wade, to cover for Kevin Martinís atrocious defense, then Stephen Curry will have a field day. Kevin Martin is ranked as the 387th best defender in the league according to synergy, giving up 0.94 PPP, and 1.04 PPP on spot ups, good for 287th in the league. Fortunately, Stephen Curry is ranked as the 3rd best spot up shooter, averaging 1.2 PPP on spot ups. So if Martin is guarding him, Curry will be feeding off Wade and company all game and getting open shot after open shot while ruinning the pick and roll with Hibbert and Smoove (0.97 PPP on P&Rís, 13th best in the league), and if Holiday is on him, Curry will not explode, but will get his like heís shown in the past. As for the reserves, Chalmers at this point in his career is just a better shooter, defender, and passer and would be too quick for DFish.

Advantage: Pacers

Shooting Guard Matchup: Dwyane Wade/Marco Belinelli vs. Kevin Martin/Chauncey Billups
If the Magic play Martin on Wade, Wade will tear him up. In their last three matchups, Wade averaged 34 Points, 7.3 Rbs, 4.7 Asts, and 1 steal on an absurd 59.4% shooting, while getting to the line 9 times per game. Meanwhile, Wade was able to limit Martin to 18.3 Points, 2.7 Rbs, and 2.7 Asts on a poor 38% shooting. If the Magic decide to play Holiday on Wade, then Wade will be able to utilize his 30 pounds weight advantage on Holiday, and exploit him down low. Whether itís Martin or Holiday guarding Wade, Wade will get his buckets and make his teammates better. Martin canít stick with Wade as he slashes and drives to the basket and though Holiday is a great defender, Wade still has the advantage in strength. On the defensive end, Wade is still regarded as a top defender at the guard position and would be able to limit Martin, who had a down year and suffered greatly from the new rule changes regarding fouls. As for the backups, the Magic have the advantage with Billups, as he still provides great outside shooting and solid defense, though Belinelli is a great floor spacer and sharp shooter himself.

Small Forward Matchups: Danny Granger/Matt Barnes vs. Shawn Marion/Brandon Roy
Danny Granger provides us another fantastic floor spacer for the Pacers and is an ideal second option for the team. Though people think heís regressed, itís not true. His basic stats have suffered because his usage went down as his team got better, but heís still an efficient scorer, a great defender, and a sniper from deep. Heíd mesh very well with this squad, and because of his unique role as a floor spacer and slasher (more off the ball with Wade on the floor), he would thrive. However, we havenít forgotten that Marion is a fantastic defender. I think he will disrupt Granger when he tries to go ISO, but Granger wonít be going ISO very much with so much talent on this squad. He will more so be spotting up and slashing and only going ISO when Wade is off the floor. And when Granger spots up, he averages a very solid 1.01 PPP, and fortunately, Marion isnít the best spot up defender, giving up 1.02 PPP. So even though Marion is still a top defender, Granger wonít be completely shut down and will be able to find ways to score. On the other end, Granger wonít have an issue at least limiting Marion, as he isnít really a threat to score from the outside and Granger is a great iso defender (24th in the league) and is a very good post defender according to synergy. As for the bench, Barnes gives us some hustle, defense, and a bit of outside shooting, while we are unsure of what Roy still has in terms of basketball skills.

Advantage: Pacers.

Power Forward Advantage: Josh Smith/Brandon Bass vs. Ryan Anderson/Shawn Marion
This should be another advantage for the Pacers. Smith is simply a better player than Anderson and is one of the players who has the versatility and quickness to guard Anderson on the outside. This year, Smith had the most defensive win shares in the entire NBA, and ranked 13th in rebounds per game. Smith isnít known to be a great offensive player, but thatís because he had to carry a large chunk of the offense in Atlanta with Horfordís injury. In Indiana, he will be the 4th or 5th option, so we donít expect his inefficiency to be an issue whatsoever. Anderson broke out this year, playing next to Dwight, and I do think Pau would make Andersonís game better as well. However, with Smithís hounding defense, I donít see Anderson being able to do a great deal. Off the bench, Bass provides fantastic defense, and can hit the mid range jumper and rebound well. He had a fantastic year in Boston, earning the starting position and never looking back.

Center Advantage: Roy Hibbert/Josh Smith vs. Pau Gasol/Kurt Thomas
This, admittedly, is an advantage for the Magic. Pau is still a very good defender, great passer, and good scorer down low. However, Hibbert will give him a run for his money. He has greatly improved his rebounding, post scoring and defense in Indiana, and was their anchor down low. Hibbert has developed into an All-Star caliber center, with his ability to score down low, and be an intimidator in the paint. Though the Magic have the advantage here, itís not a huge advantage that is concerning. The Pacers are also capable of mixing it up and having Josh Smith play on Pau Gasol as Smith is a phenomenal defender and Brandon Bass has the ability to come off the bench and hound Ryan Anderson at the PF position.

Advantage: Magic

The Pacers talent, depth, and leadership is too much to overcome for the Magic. Behind the leadership of Dwyane Wade, the sharpshooters of Stephen Curry, Danny Granger, and Mario Chalmers and Marco Belinelli off the bench, and the best defensive front-court in the Eastern Conference with Josh Smith, Brandon Bass, and Roy Hibbert. The Pacers should win this series 5 or 6 games at the most.

Thank you for reading our write-up.

Magic write-up:

Congrats to my opponents and GL.

C Ė Pau Gasol/Kurt Thomas vs. Roy Hibbert/Ronny Turiaf
I specifically traded my frontcourt so I could slide Gasol to C in this very matchup. The lumbering 7í2 Roy Hibbert would be drawn away from the basket covering Pau Gasol who loves to operate in the high post. Heís got a consistent mid-range game (hell heís hittin 3ís for Spain from the international line) and can hit cutters with his laser-like passing. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that the more open the paint is the better. By stretching his frontcourt out to the perimeter, weíve opened up driving lanes for Marion/Roy/Martin/Jrue.
Edge: Magic

PF Ė Ryan Anderson/Shawn Marion vs. Josh Smith/Brandon Bass
This is a critical matchup because I need to completely shatter peopleís beliefs about a certain Pacerís player. Heís athletic, scores in the teens, blocks shots? Thatís right, Josh Smith. The problem? Heís not that good (See: Wallace, Gerald). Heís vastly overrated on both ends of the floor. Offensively the guy cannot shoot a lick but keeps firing. Two years ago he learned his lesson, but now heís back shooting 3ís at a rapid fire pace and draining a lights out 26%. Heís so inefficient (Hi stat people) that his TS% was a career low 49% last season. Shocking right? Well at least heís a great defensive player who gets steals/blocks. NO. Last year synergy had him ranked as the 218th best defensive player in the league. What was his problem? He was terrible guarding spot-up shooters. He allowed them to shoot a ridiculous 47% from 3pt. What is Ryan Andersonís biggest strength? Perimeter shooting where he led the league in 3ís made last season with a ridiculous 59% TS%. Anderson was surprisingly respectable in most aspects of defense except for his post defense. Fortunately (again), Josh Smith only shot 96 for 246 (39%) in post-ups. Heís not a post player and has never been. This matchup plays right into the hands of Andersonís strengths and Smithís weaknesses.

SF Ė Shawn Marion/Brandon Roy vs. Danny Granger/Matt Barnes
Shawn Marionís offense has declined over the past few seasons. I readily admit this. However, what hasnít declined is his defensive skills. Heís still one of the better defensive players in the league and would do a respectable job limiting Danny Granger. The same Danny Granger who has regressed each of the last 4 seasons. Yes 4. He peaked in 2008. It doesnít make sense but itís the truth. Feel free to look it up. He hasnít produced that low efficiency since his rookie season. Heís become an average efficiency player and while he has the edge here, Iím not worried about him swinging the series with Marion on him. In addition, Brandon Roy has a nice advantage coming off the bench vs. Barnes.
Edge: Pacers

SG Ė Chauncey Billups/Kevin Martin vs. Dwyane Wade/Marco Bellineli
The Pacers probably hoped that Kevin Martin would be matched up on D-Wade but weíve made a key switch. Billups is probably one of the most underrated players of all-time. Heís one of the most efficient scorers in nba history, a multi all-defensive team player, and someone known for hitting big shots in the clutch. Billups, in his limited season, was the #1 ranked player in isolation defense. Similar to Jason Kidd in 2011, this series will be a surprising disappointment for Wade who has trouble with these strong similar sized SGs. Billups is now a natural SG and matches up evenly in size with Wade. The same Dwyane Wade who had his lowest scoring efficiency in 5 years and the 2nd worst post-season of his career. Story sound familiar? Wade is clearly slowing down. While still a talented player, heís never been a shooter and once his athleticism starts to slip heís not going to be as productive. Billups can stick in front of him and guard him straight up. Jrue/Marion would also see time on Wade as well. Meanwhile, Kevin Martin off the bench is the best 6th man left in the playoffs. He would torch Belineli or Barnes and be a huge scoring lift off the bench. When any subs come in, Kevin Martin is head and shoulders above anyone on his squad.
Edge: Pacers

PG Ė Jrue Holiday/Billups/Derek Fisher vs. Stephen Curry/Mario Chalmers
The rest of the world needs to know what Sixers fans already do. Jrue Holiday is one of the best defensive guards in the NBA. He was a shutdown perimeter player this past season allowing opponents to shoot only 33% OVERALL against him. He defends everything well from spot-up to pick and roll to iso. Heís an elite defender and would be draped all over Curry. On the other hand, Curry is one of the worst defensive starting point guards in the league. Jrueís speed and pick and roll with Gasol would cause trouble for Curry. Curryís offensive talents give me pause but with an elite defender on him this matchup is close to even.
Edge: Wash

Bench: Fisher/Martin/Roy/Thomas vs. Turiaf/Bass/Barnes/Marco/Chalmers
Kevin Martin is clearly the most talented player in the bench. Heís a 20ppg type of player who can shoot, drive, and get to the free throw line. There are no other clear advantages from the bench.

Overall:
Heís got a lot of name value but you need to realize that the Magic have strong defenders at every position and can throw Billups/Jrue/Marion all at Wade and have a good post defender in Pau Gasol who can draw Hibbert out of his comfort zone and potentially get him in foul trouble. This would force the Pacers to rely on Ronny Turiaf which would really swing the series. The Magic have built a team that can pass (Jrue-Billups-Roy-Gasol), shoot (Jrue-Billups-Martin-Anderson), and defend (Jrue-Billups-Marion-Gasol). We can do it all. We believe our balance puts the Pacers at a disadvantage. We have a clear edge in the frontcourt and have strong perimeter defenders to slow down their wings/guards. We believe this swings a close series and the Magic can defeat the Pacers.

xxplayerxx23
08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
This is a matchup that gives the Pacers more trouble then any other IMO. Wade is the main reason I think the pacers win in 6. Marion can slow granger down, Gasol has the edge vs Hibbert IMO, Jrue is a very good defender, Martin can't guard Wade at all IMO and he would go off. Both had very good teams.
Edit: I see billups guarding wade but I still don't believe billups could guard him effiective enough to win the series

Gagan136
08-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Pacerss

unleashthebeast
08-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Hopefully everyone reads the writeups. I havent completely read both of them yet, but one key thing in the Magic write up is that they will have Billups on Wade and not Martin. This is a big difference that will benefit the Magic

PocketKings
08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Hopefully everyone reads the writeups. I havent completely read both of them yet, but one key thing in the Magic write up is that they will have Billups on Wade and not Martin. This is a big difference that will benefit the Magic

I don't think it will though.

Chauncey is 35 years old coming off an achillies injury. That is a devastating injury.

Don't get me wrong, he's still a very solid player but this isn't a match-up of primes versus primes. It's right now.

I'll address a few other things the Magic state in their write-up soon.

PocketKings
08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
I understand to we are to view everybody to be healthy in these games as well, but typically those who come off an achillies injury don't play back to form in one year.

phlp_bj
08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Writeups are both good. Torn on this vote. Will decide later

Mr. Baller
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Pacers but its close. Nice writeups by both

Catfish1314
08-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Both teams have very solid depth, both teams can defend and score from anywhere, and both teams have starpower.

I think Jrue Holiday would brutalize the somewhat fragile Stephen Curry over the course of a seven game series, but the Pacers have more firepower, the superior defensive personnel (though both are quite good), and homecourt advantage.

juggla53
08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
a lot of people seem to think it will be close, personally i dont, idc is its billups or martin on wade he is going to take over and even if he has an off night he has four other guys capable of putting up over twenty in a given game, i also really like bass off the bench for the pacers and really dislake kurt thomas as the 3rd big man on a team that is going to have to deal with D-Wade driving to the hoop and drawing fouls.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
This is much closer than I thought it would be. Sadly for the Magic though, I think the overall talent that the Pacers have in their starting lineup would be too much for them to handle. Nice write ups by Butt Toots and the newlywed who forgot to send me and Butt Toots the livecast link to his wedding.

newfearsome4som
08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
I think people are being nice to the magic when they say it will be close. Ryan Anderson's main advantage on most NBA power forwards is that he operates around the perimeter and in some ways is a poor mans Dirk, that wont bother J.Smith in the slightest as he is one of the most athletic big men in the game who will chase Anderson all over and his block totals speak for themselves in the sense that anderson wont be seeing many open looks

As great as gasol is, along with his well rounded skill set his biggest advantage over other NBA players has always been height/length, that is one advantage he will not have on Roy Hibbert who at 7'2 is the tallest big man in the league who is all star caliber now that Yao is done.

There is nobody on the magic defense who is going to slow down wade, and there are just too many weapons around him for the magic to contain. Anyone who expects elder statesmen like billups and marion to contain wade and granger are kidding themselves.

With that said i am a HUGE Dru Holliday fan and i think he would do well against curry but the other matchups just are not in orlando's favor

Ill Take Pacers in 5, with Orlando getting one at home

Eagles4Lyfe
08-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow KOB what a bad *** write up jeez these are exactly why people should do write ups.

But it was a really tough vote TBH but I think the Pacers still take it in 6 or 7

PatsSoxKnicks
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
bump

pacers

roshan3ai
08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Damn that Pacers writeup was good :p

But really I liked the team KoB built and he made a good writeup. Nice job.

homestarunner93
08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Honestly, you could consider the Magic if Billups was healthy, but he isn't. An achilles injury at that age is probably devastating.

xxplayerxx23
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I thought injuries didn't matter :shrug:

homestarunner93
08-14-2012, 10:27 PM
How do you ignore a long term injury that takes at least a year to recover from, and can be two years before a player is truly 100%? That injury effects what kind of player Chauncey Billups is from here on in his career. It is asinine to say that doesn't or shouldn't matter.

xxplayerxx23
08-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Im not sure, I was told in the start that Injuries arent taken into effect. I think the Magic are put together good but the pacers are too good.

KnicksorBust
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm in D.R. right now but wanted to check my matchup. :laugh: I figured it was a lost cause but still tried to put together the best write-up I could. I told Cat before I left that this was the only time I've ever written a writeup and felt like I still should lose. I always feel like I have the better team but the Pacers have done a phenomenal job and GL to them the rest of the playoffs. :) Be back on Saturday!

PocketKings
08-15-2012, 02:04 PM
KoB, honestly everyone who participated in the Mock knows that towards the end you had much bigger and much more important things you were dealing with.

Like always you built a great team and it was a pleasure of playing the game with you bud.

:cheers:

Congrats with everything once again.

B's and I are still upset we never got that livecast wedding... or honeymoon. :cry:

Look forward to the next game with you bud.

Edit: Also look forward to the next drunk chatzy with KoB! :D