PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Pesky has died

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Steve Buckley ‏@BuckinBoston
So sad to report that Johnny Pesky died about one hour ago. I loved that man. #RedSox

RIP Johnny. Sad day for Red Sox Nation.

Cronin
08-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Rest in peace Johnny, you're in a much better place, and you will be truly missed. Forever #6 for the Boston Redsox <3

Rivera
08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
:cry: R.I.P. Johnny Pesky

bagwell368
08-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Talk about a lifer. I remember him as a Sox Manager way back, and that was 25 years after he started to play. Won't see his like again. RIP in peace.

Sweet_Caroline
08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
RIP Mr. Pesky

IceMan360
08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Just seen this on Comcast damn sad day for red sox nation R.I.P Mr Pesky

j-bay
08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Sad day for Sox fans. You will be missed Johnny.

Station 13
08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
He was MR. Red Sox

RIP Johnny

TragicallyHip
08-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Rest in Peace, sir.

americaspasttim
08-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Rip...

Petertherock
08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Requiescat in pace Mr. Baseball.

j-bay
08-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Pete Abraham‏@PeteAbe

Yankees will having a moment of silence for Johnny Pesky, @YankeesWFAN says. Nice touch.

thats nice that the yanks ar doing that

Raiderwood
08-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Mr Pesky, RIP..thank you for all that you did for the game and for America...

avrpatsfan
08-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Never got to see him play but this is tough to swallow. RIP.

Celtic AL
08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
RIP and hats off to one of the most beloved redsox

Super.
08-13-2012, 05:25 PM
:cry:

BradytoGronkTD
08-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Rip

thawv
08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
RIP Mr. Pesky. The pole means even more now. Sorry to hear about your loss Sox fans.

Bo Sox Fan
08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
RIP Mr. Pesky, a true icon of Red Sox Nation.

Please send us a 10 game winning streak from up above to make this season relevant and interesting down the stretch, you are our only hope!

TrueYankee
08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
RIP Mr. Pesky! I know you had a very big impact in Red Sox nation and were an icon.

Yankees are having moment of silence for him, at least that is what the radio said.

YazMan
08-13-2012, 06:25 PM
WOW what a life he led!
As seen in the 100 year celebration, Johnny was the grandfather of Red Sox Nation.
Red Sox players come and go but no one ever showed the passion that Johnny did.
I look around the Red Sox roster and I wonder who would ever show the love for the organization that Johnny did. It wasn't a pay check to him, it was a way of life. Maybe someday someone will talk about Dustin Pedroia with the same love we had for Johnny. RIP, your pole will live on forever in our baseball cathedral and you will always be remembered.

penuch
08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Sad day for sure. I remember seeing him on opening day and thinking unfortunately I don't think he'll see another opening day. Words truly can't describe how much he will forever mean to the red sox and the fans. He epitomizes what it is to truly love the game. If ony more were like him.

Green_Monster
08-13-2012, 06:44 PM
RIP, Johnny. You did great things for the game of baseball.

AI
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I didn't cry, but almost did. One of the true legends of our organization and all of baseball, there will never be another like him. Rest in peace Johnny.

MoVaughnsLunch
08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Rip Pesky. True legend

RedSoxFan2434
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
RIP long live the great Johnny Pesky. I have his autograph and its my favorite. He has that right field pole to always remember him by.

TedWilliams9
08-13-2012, 10:25 PM
R.I.P, I was at the game he was honored before almost exactly 2 years ago.. Like 4 or 5 days to the exact day 2 years ago

wolf82
08-14-2012, 07:38 AM
RIP Johnny, and thank you for everything you have done for the Red Sox and for our Country (WWII VET).

ccspence8
08-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I'll still remember the day you gave me an autograph as a kid. He was the Red Sox ambassador. How could you not like Johnny? RIP #6

elements1985
08-14-2012, 03:57 PM
My father won some amazing tickets from work about 14 years ago, and while touring the inside of Fenway we happened to see Johnny Pesky asleep on a couch outside the 600 club.

I'll never forget that.

RIP.

ciaban
08-15-2012, 01:37 AM
why did the redsox retire his number? he didn't fit either qualification, of HOF or 10 years in boston?

Nomar
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
why did the redsox retire his number? he didn't fit either qualification, of HOF or 10 years in boston?

He is proof of why those requirements dont mean ****. He deserved to have his number retired.

Bo Sox Fan
08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/network/network-article.aspx?articleid=705229

This makes me sick

OKEEJOE
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
When the heart and soul of Red Sox nation dies and ONLY 4 players show up to lay him to rest, sad sad day for Red Sox fans. Time to start cleaning house, that should have been done last year.

Nomar
08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
The Sox lob another alley oop pass to the media.

wolf82
08-23-2012, 03:48 PM
The Sox lob another alley oop pass to the media.

More like set up a ball on a T-ball stand

goshhhjosh
08-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Because he quit baseball from 1943-1945 to serve in WWII. That right there is reason enough for me.

How many current professional athletes would quit their respective sport to serve in a war?

Pesky was the man. Despite what his career numbers state, he was a great person and was a great ambassador for the Boston Red Sox.

This current team needs an extreme makeover - only 4 people. Can't wait to hear the excuses. Props to Buchholz, Saltalamacchia, Ortiz, and Padilla. Shame on the rest of the team.

MattS
08-23-2012, 05:07 PM
did they freeze his head to?

Crucis
08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Because he quit baseball from 1943-1945 to serve in WWII. That right there is reason enough for me.

How many current professional athletes would quit their respective sport to serve in a war?

Pesky was the man. Despite what his career numbers state, he was a great person and was a great ambassador for the Boston Red Sox.

This current team needs an extreme makeover - only 4 people. Can't wait to hear the excuses. Props to Buchholz, Saltalamacchia, Ortiz, and Padilla. Shame on the rest of the team.

Frankly, I'm particularly shocked that Pedroia didn't go. Also, I'm disgusted that these bozos cared more about showing up to a team bowling event that night than they did to show up to a funeral for Johnny Pesky. Pathetic. :facepalm:

MattS
08-23-2012, 05:37 PM
first...half of baseball players dont know about the history of baseball or care that much... 2nd... none of these players played with him.... i dont think its bad nor a slight that none of them attended.... why is it necessary sort of having a very close intimate relationship with the family or Pesky himself.
I mean Derek Jeter nor any other Yankees attended George Steinbrenners funeral and George was a bigger part of Yankee history then Pesky was with the Sox... and Jeter is the Captain of the team.
I just dont think its a big deal that no one attended... nor pathetic.... dont really see any reason for any of them to attend.

Frankly, I'm particularly shocked that Pedroia didn't go. Also, I'm disgusted that these bozos cared more about showing up to a team bowling event that night than they did to show up to a funeral for Johnny Pesky. Pathetic. :facepalm:

Nomar
08-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Kind of surprising. I know theres a lot of losers on this team, but it just doesnt seem right that so many people flaked on this. Pedroia foremost, but even new guys like Middlebrooks. Show a bit of respect.

These guys can go on air and say they care about the team more than anyone else, but i certainly feel like i respect the franchise more than the players do. These guys (sorry to generalize, there are a few good guys) are mercenaries. They put themselves in front of the Red Sox organization. If they were a college team, the coach would do something like take their names off of their away unis.

Can you imagine if this team won the World Series this year? They wouldnt even celebrate probably, theyd just walk off the field. They just dont care and its sad really given the fact that this is supposed to be one of sports' most historic franchises.

goshhhjosh
08-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Kind of adds to the hatred that the Boston Media has towards Beckett. They attend Beckett Bowl but not Pesky's funeral service.

I will say that the only saving grace is that Beckett Bowl raises a crap load of money for the Boston Children's Hospital. However, I would have liked to have seen more players attend the funeral.

first...half of baseball players dont know about the history of baseball or care that much... 2nd... none of these players played with him.... i dont think its bad nor a slight that none of them attended.... why is it necessary sort of having a very close intimate relationship with the family or Pesky himself.
I mean Derek Jeter nor any other Yankees attended George Steinbrenners funeral and George was a bigger part of Yankee history then Pesky was with the Sox... and Jeter is the Captain of the team.
I just dont think its a big deal that no one attended... nor pathetic.... dont really see any reason for any of them to attend.

Personally, I think it's bad that only four players attended. The man made several appearances in the community on behalf of the Boston Red Sox, was visible all over Fenway, served as an instructor/coach/representative for the Red Sox, and was loved by many.

There's such a thing as respect and fraternity. None of which this Red Sox team seems to possess. The funeral was held (I believe on August 20th) which was an off day for the team. The team provided buses for the team and front office to attend the funeral service. The team was also instructed that they could drive from their houses to the church. To me I think it shows a total lack of class - but then that's to be expected with the Red Sox. For once I actually agree with ownership in being upset with the team.

Lastly, who cares about the Yankees.

Soxfan85
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
In contrast, nearly the entire team was at Beckett's Beckett Bowl event that night

Seriously?!! Are you f-ing kidding me!!!! A bowl is more important than Johnny Pesky!!! I'm sorry but I have lost all respect for the players who didnt attend and wanted to bowl instead. To the ones that did go Good for you for standing up! I hope there is a loud boo for every player that didnt go!

Petertherock
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
These bums have no respect for the Red Sox or baseball. I hope they lose every game they have left, finish in last place, and all get cut from the team during the off season.

penuch
08-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I think pedroia is the most disappointing name to hear. He is suppose to be the heart and soul and leader of this team, yet he couldn't show up to the man who helped him out early on his career. ****ing pitiful, honestly I am so ready to get rid of just about everyone on this team.

GoldDustTwin
08-23-2012, 09:03 PM

To be fair, probably lots of them if they were conscripted.

Pesky, Williams, et. al did a noble thing, but in most cases they weren't offered any choice - Feller, I believe, volunteered. Read a Williams bio - he wasn't entirely pleased with leaving baseball to head to Pensacola.

That said, I do agree that Pesky was a model Red Sox - playing days and after.

Nomar
08-23-2012, 09:05 PM
To be fair, probably lots of them if they were conscripted.

Pesky, Williams, et. al did a noble thing, but in most cases they weren't offered any choice - Feller, I believe, volunteered. Read a Williams bio - he wasn't entirely pleased with leaving baseball to head to Pensacola.

That said, I do agree that Pesky was a model Red Sox - playing days and after.

To be fair Teddy wasnt pleased with much ever haha.

Mattlock
08-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Much props to Padilla for attending. He would have been the last one I thought would attend.

-Lavigne43-
08-23-2012, 10:51 PM
David Ortiz said prior to the Red Sox' game against the Angels Thursday night that he understood how previous commitments might have prevented some Red Sox players from attending Johnny Pesky's funeral Monday, but did point out that he had encouraged members of the team to participate in the ceremony.

"My No. 1 priority that day was being there, being with family and just sharing that last moment with him," Ortiz said. "I said on the airplane to everybody, 'Expect his funeral tomorrow. If you can go ahead and show up, go ahead, that would be great.' If they could make it, great. But I don't think it's fair bringing it up now."

The Red Sox have come under fire after a Boston Herald report stated just players -- Ortiz, Vicente Padilla, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Clay Buchholz -- attended the funeral.

"Let me tell you, I see it two different ways," Ortiz said. "No. 1, a lot of us were close to Pesky. I was very close to Pesky. The funeral is the last goodbye you give to a friend. There's no way you're a friend with somebody, that person passes away and you're not going to show up to his funeral.

"I was talking to [Kevin Youkilis] this morning, and Youk feels so bad he wasn't able to be at that funeral. Youk was close to Pesky, but he was in another city in another place having to play. It was hard for him to show up. But I'm pretty sure one way or another he contacted somebody to give his condolences. At the same time we have guys here that through the years they were able to be close to Pesky and they have their reasons they didn't show up. That's not my business. We got in at 4 o'clock in the morning -- and I'm not saying this is an excuse -- some of the guys had things to do that day. I had things to do that day and I showed up, but I was close to Pesky."

Ortiz said with the Red Sox arriving back in Boston from New York at 4 a.m., and off-day plans already in place for some of the players, he grasped why the player turnout wasn't what many had hoped for.

"We came back from New York very late and some of the guys probably had some things to do that day. That's probably the reason why some of the guys didn't show up," he said. "I can tell you why I showed up. I had a friend that just passed away and I wanted to be there.

"It was probably the best thing to do, but like I said everybody has his opinion, things to do and I'm not going to say who should and shouldn't (go). Hopefully they don't make a big deal about. We don't need that right now. We just need to continue to keep playing and focus on trying to win some games to see if we can go to the playoffs."

According to Ortiz, not only was he happy to attend the funeral, but the ceremony provided lasting memories for the Red Sox' designated hitter.

"There were a lot of people at the funeral," he said. "Me, personally, I can give my opinion on what I felt I was supposed to do. I felt I needed to be there supporting his family. It was very sad. I heard one of the guys giving a speech about a poem he wrote about Pesky, a really close friend of his, and when that guy spoke I couldn't hold it in. That brought up a lot of memories. Any time Pesky was here I used to go in and mess around with him. Pesky would give me confidence just saying a couple of things. Pesky to me was part of the family. There was not one day that man wouldn't make you laugh."

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21223151/ortiz-urged-players-attend-funeral

Yikes. I like how Ortiz tries to make it come across better, but just ends up making it worse

Nomar
08-24-2012, 01:05 AM
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21223151/ortiz-urged-players-attend-funeral

Yikes. I like how Ortiz tries to make it come across better, but just ends up making it worse

Why should he sugar coat it? There is no good excuse for the players. Ortiz knows it, the media knows it, we know it.

People are quick to call Papi a whiny pre-madonna now, but maybe hes fed up because hes getting one year contracts to play on a team of guys that arent committed to winning or even being a team.

Its funny, today theres no one person with a "Manny being Manny" issue, but there are several people on this team with even more questionable character.

Id rather have our players peeing inside the green monster between innings than peeing on every Red Sox fan every single night.

OneManIsNoMan
08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Why should he sugar coat it? There is no good excuse for the players. Ortiz knows it, the media knows it, we know it.

People are quick to call Papi a whiny pre-madonna now, but maybe hes fed up because hes getting one year contracts to play on a team of guys that arent committed to winning or even being a team.

Its funny, today theres no one person with a "Manny being Manny" issue, but there are several people on this team with even more questionable character.

Id rather have our players peeing inside the green monster between innings than peeing on every Red Sox fan every single night.

Couldn't have put it any better myself. Sadly when "Manny was being Manny" he still helped win 2 World Series, half a dozen Silver Sluggers and put up MVP numbers.