PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Game 6 2003 Finals

kobes2good
08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I was just watching an NBA classic of game 6 of the 2003 NBA finals of Spurs vs. Nets and I'm wondering why Tim Duncan does not get more credit for his outstanding performance. He had 21 Points, 20 Rebounds, 10 Assists, and 8 Blocks leading the spurs to their 2nd NBA championship in 4 years. I personally think that is one of the greatest nba finals performances ever. This should definitely be up there with the jordan performances but why isn't it

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Because Tim Duncan plays a boring position and is awkward, only explanation. Jordan was the floor leader and always took the ball up the court, played in chi-town, the Spurs just have a boring persona compared to the Bulls. It is one of the best games ever in the finals and he is one of the best players ever. He doesn't get enough recognition. And he is LOYAL, something we will never ever see again in sports.

LakersMaster24
08-12-2012, 03:49 PM
The Spurs were contenders since like 1998...I cant remember a yer when they were rebuilding, or Duncan didn't have good talent around him. Its easy to stay loyal when your team wins and wins multiple rings.

But that Finals performance is amazing. 2 blocks away from a quadruple-double! Insane!

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
LeBron.. Tyrann Mathieu...Dwight...Favre...Carter

All were on contenders, all left. Has nothing to do with being a contender, you act like playing in San Antonio is the most appeasing thing in the world, Duncan is loyal. I would've left that black and white **** hole in 04 after my third ring to go somewhere exciting to finish my career.

king4day
08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
TBH I think it's because of how much the Spurs were favored to win that series. That really is an incredible stat though. 2 blocks from a Quad double? OMG

kobe4thewinbang
08-12-2012, 04:33 PM
I was just watching an NBA classic of game 6 of the 2003 NBA finals of Spurs vs. Nets and I'm wondering why Tim Duncan does not get more credit for his outstanding performance. He had 21 Points, 20 Rebounds, 10 Assists, and 8 Blocks leading the spurs to their 2nd NBA championship in 4 years. I personally think that is one of the greatest nba finals performances ever. This should definitely be up there with the jordan performances but why isn't itTimmy is a great player. I've always given him credit. I love watching him play. He's also a very modest player.

beliges
08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Timmy's considered the greatest PF to ever play the game. A 9-10 player ever. He gets his much deserved credit. Players like him have gone pretty much extinct in today's NBA unfortunately. But with 4 titles, his legacy seems set in stone.

Piercefan34
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
cause all people care about nowadays is flash. his stats weren't an outrageously high in points so casual NBA fans and NBA 'experts' don't care. its sad but its the way the league is headed w/ lebron the figurehead.

LakersMaster24
08-12-2012, 05:42 PM

All were on contenders, all left. Has nothing to do with being a contender, you act like playing in San Antonio is the most appeasing thing in the world, Duncan is loyal. I would've left that black and white **** hole in 04 after my third ring to go somewhere exciting to finish my career.

Why the hell would you leave a franchise if you win rings there? :laugh2:

ThuglifeJ
08-12-2012, 06:02 PM

okay. Favre never left the Packers. and Carter left Toronto who'm were never a contender, or even a deep playoff team..

but on topic I agree, if Lebron or Durant had that statline..or if Griffin had half that stat line they wouldnt let you hear the end of it

Vinny642
08-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Psh, thats all?

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2012, 06:08 PM
okay. Favre never left the Packers. and Carter left Toronto who'm were never a contender, or even a deep playoff team..

but on topic I agree, if Lebron or Durant had that statline..or if Griffin had half that stat line they wouldnt let you hear the end of it

Favre did leave the packers, he also did it not by just leaving but by retiring, saying he wanted to come back then demanding a trade, then retires comes back and plays for your division rival, don't give me that. And the Raptors were minutes away from an ecf appearance? :rolleyes:

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Why the hell would you leave a franchise if you win rings there? :laugh2:

Because its the most boring franchise in the history of forever :shrug:

LakersMaster24
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Because its the most boring franchise in the history of forever :shrug:

You play basketball for that franchise, who cares if its boring or fun, AS LONG AS YOU WIN! No one prevents you from going to Vegas, New York or LA when there are no games or its off-season.

ThuglifeJ
08-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Favre did leave the packers, he also did it not by just leaving but by retiring, saying he wanted to come back then demanding a trade, then retires comes back and plays for your division rival, don't give me that. And the Raptors were minutes away from an ecf appearance? :rolleyes:

ya because Vince traded [B]50 point[B] performances with AI. Otherwise they'd be just like everyother year no help. Im not defending Carter I wish more than anythin he stayed a Raptor but they were never a contender.

and yes Favre got to the NFC then they lost and said he might retire BECAUSE HE WAS 40 (thats not really leaving) then they decided to start a new direction. So then he 'retired' asked to come back to packers his lifelong franchise, they were dicks so he went and played for someone else cuz he was still a top QB.

totally different

but yes plying for minnesota was just like you hooking up with your X's best friend. But he was dumped by the Pack not vise versa like you implied

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Tyrann was kicked from the team? Most likely for failing another drug test.

juggla53
08-12-2012, 09:04 PM
like many people have said Timmy was seen as boring but another reason is the guy basically dominated from the time he got into the NBA so performances like that were just view'd as Timmy being Timmy

i also somewhat disagree with people who say he was boring to watch the guy was a very unique player, there have been countless guys who run around and jump through the gym with dunks (amare, kemp, cwebb, blake, and so on) but Duncan's turn around bank shot was one of the prettiest things in sports

Chronz
08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Who says its not up there with the best? But if you mean why doesnt it top theirs, its because having all around stats isnt as important as scoring at will, particularly when those other guys are no slouches outside of scoring themselves.

tapajafri
08-12-2012, 10:14 PM

You're incorrect. Favre didn't leave. He was 40 and the packers wanted to start a new era with Aaron Rodgers. Favre knew he was still a top QB and he wanted to come back, but the packers had already begun to move on with Rodgers. So the Vikings jumped on it and they got one of Favre's best seasons in his career at age 40-41. Favre didn't leave. He wanted to stay with GB. But the packers began a new era with a new QB. It's a business. Favre didn't leave. You're wrong.

kdspurman
08-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Cause he's Tim Duncan and he's on the Spurs. He's not as "flashy" as the media and most people want superstars to be viewed, although as a role model and someone to model your franchise after? There are not many people like Tim. John Hollinger on ESPN however did have him @ number 3 on his recent list here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-3

In 03, not only in that game, but that whole season/playoffs he was absolutely dominant. (BTW, some folks still argue that D-Rob got credited 2 blocks where Tim should've got them and had a Quadruple Double). He's one of the most under-appreciated superstars I can remember and most casual-modern day fans don't because of what they've come accustomed to now with the way the superstars act and play.

This was definitely one of the most dominant performances on both ends of the court in a finals game ever. So if you ever hear announcers, or media saying stuff about current players and how great or dominant they are, and they don't remember ever seeing a performance like this in a finals game/series, go back to that 03 series you'll find a few. (He still holds the records for most blocks in a series BTW at 32) His 99 Finals series was not too shabby either.

I'm done rambling now. I don't see many Timmy threads on here, so when I do I like to chime in on em'. He's only got 2-3 years before he retires, and maybe once he's done he'll get a little more appreciation from some of the modern day fans who call the guy boring and what not.

Losoway
08-12-2012, 11:36 PM
if duncan was more flashy and marketable . he would be more appreciated

juggla53
08-12-2012, 11:57 PM
You're incorrect. Favre didn't leave. He was 40 and the packers wanted to start a new era with Aaron Rodgers. Favre knew he was still a top QB and he wanted to come back, but the packers had already begun to move on with Rodgers. So the Vikings jumped on it and they got one of Favre's best seasons in his career at age 40-41. Favre didn't leave. He wanted to stay with GB. But the packers began a new era with a new QB. It's a business. Favre didn't leave. You're wrong.

what in the hell are you talking about? farve retired, several months later the pack asked him if he was sure he wanted to stay retired, he said yes, and the pack moved on with Rodgers.

Then not to long after that he said he wanted to come back from retirement and play for GB, who at that point had moved on and were going with rodgers. Then he was TRADED TO THE JETS, played there for a year and was mediocre, and then he signed with the vikings

So you are the one who is wrong, and not even close to being right actually.

The goods
08-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I give him his credit,and respect him, but he is boring as hell to watch.

The goods
08-13-2012, 12:02 AM
what in the hell are you talking about? farve retired, several months later the pack asked him if he was sure he wanted to stay retired, he said yes, and the pack moved on with Rodgers.

Then not to long after that he said he wanted to come back from retirement and play for GB, who at that point had moved on and were going with rodgers. Then he was TRADED TO THE JETS, played there for a year and was mediocre, and then he signed with the vikings

Actually he retired from the jets to then signed with the Vikings, man was that annoying as hell or what?

netsgiantsyanks
08-13-2012, 12:22 AM
ughhh.

spurs4#5
08-13-2012, 02:33 AM
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=iONwFLQ8Nuc

Anyone who calls Tim Duncan boring is just oblivious to what a true great basketball player looks like

ThuglifeJ
08-13-2012, 03:55 AM
well think about it this way
NBA fans= probably only 35% actually play basketball/know basketball real well and only 10% probably watch every game..

plenty of fans are either gonna be little kids, people who dont actually play or know what's actually good and what not..
including some analysts i swear..

tapajafri
08-13-2012, 04:12 AM

I was talking about Favre post-packer era in a nutshell. I said he was 40, and wanted to come back after a few months because he knew he could still play. But by the time he decided to come back, the packers had already begun to move in a different direction with Rodgers. And so yeah, he played a season in NY, but I skipped that because I was referring to the other guy's post about "going to the packers' division rival vikings like a traitor" or whatever he was trying to say. So I'm the one that's right, and you're the one that made yourself look like an idiot because you didn't read the the 2 posts from 2 other posters prior to mine. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

read BADizzleBoY's post where he said "Favre did leave the packers, he also did it not by just leaving but by retiring, saying he wanted to come back then demanding a trade, then retires comes back and plays for your division rival."

Now do you see what I'm talking about? ....idiot... :laugh: you're the one that's wrong, and you're not even close to being right :laugh:

dh144498
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
the Nets stood no chance. his going 28-12-5 against the 3peat lakers and 28-17-6 against dallas in 6 games for both was incredible.

BobbyHillSwag
08-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Yall know Duncan is my dude but this game wasnt as impressive as some of his others. Yea he filled the stat sheet but watching it, he didnt really dominate them.

SIKKEEEEE my ***** duncan went on them fools. Prime shaq type ****

Andrew32
08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Duncan was absolutely amazing in 03 (his Peak).
You'd have to be ignorant to not appreciate how good he played that year.

The only other similar Finals performance from recent times was done by Shaq.

Shaq : Game 2 of the 2001 Finals : 28 / 20 / 9ast / 8block on 63% shooting.

effen5
08-14-2012, 05:41 PM
I honestly think I would start a team with a prime Tim Duncan in this era over Lebron and kobe.

IversonIsKrazy
08-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I agree with the OP. I still think Duncan's 03 run was the greatest run (for a player) of the decade. That's right, better than Dwade's 06 run. The '03 spurs team was the worst amongst the 4 championship rosters they've had.
Why:
Robinson was at the end of his career, he was avging 8/7/1.
Ginobili barely played, he was getting less than 10ppg.
His best player was Tony Parker who was a 2nd year NOT established PG at the time, who would shy away from the big lights of the playoffs.

That spur team was a great defensive team. But offensively, Duncan CARRIED that team with not much help. The guy got I believe a couple of triple-doubles, one ALMOST quad-double, and every other game of the finals were double-doubles, which is just unreal.

Not to mention: That year, Lakers were fresh off their 3peat, and lost to this very same Spur team in 6 games.

Duncan's 2003 playoff run was the best of it's decade, and the most underrated. Respect.

JordansBulls
08-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Epic for sure, just NJ was not as quality an opponent.

STL Don
08-15-2012, 12:17 AM
So far in my lifetime, Tim Duncan is the 3rd best player I've ever seen play.
I really only got to see the last few years of Jordan keep in mind, and once LBJ retires, he'll probably become the 4th.
But in all seriousness, TD is a true legend of the game. He's the most consistent PF/C the leagues seen in the past 15 seasons.
Of all the great teams the Lakers have faced in the very early 2000's, the Kings, Mavericks, Blazers, etc. The Spurs were always the team I worried about most because of the presence of Tim Duncan. I have all the respect in the world for him.

STL Don
08-15-2012, 12:19 AM
I honestly think I would start a team with a prime Tim Duncan in this era over Lebron and kobe.

Knowing what we know now, nobody can argue with you on that man.
The only one who comes close is KG.

phlp_bj
08-15-2012, 01:22 AM
great read on tim if anyone is interested
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1198491/1/index.htm

phlp_bj
08-15-2012, 01:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejQMtkyLgY

Patman
08-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Those playoffs and Finals were incredible, he just dominated both sides of the floor like very very few ever did.
Still think his performance in 03 gets underrated by many and the supporting cast he had is now overrated.