PDA

View Full Version : Worst trade in NBA history?

D12 fan
08-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Who made the worst trade in NBA history that you could remember?

I say Charlotte trading Kobe for Vlade Divac.:facepalm:

Would have been interesting to see Kobe how would develop in Charlotte.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Kobe was demanding to be traded. That's more of a hindsight deal.

I'd say Kareem and Walt Wesley for Junior Bridgeman, Dave Myers, Elmore Smith, and Brian Winters.

JordansBulls
08-12-2012, 02:42 PM
How the hell is trading Vlade for Kobe the worst trade when Kobe didn't even come in with immediate impact as a star player?

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Or Dirk for Robert Tractor Traylor

DoMeFavors
08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Vlade was still good and more proven, Kobe wasnt even a top 10 pick right? Ofcourse looking back now it was bad.

I say Orlando magic in the trade that just happened 2 days ago.

UPRock
08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
LOL How the heck trading Kobe a bad deal? Divac was already a proven winner in the Lakers and one of the best big men in the game, Kobe was a rookie.

D12 fan
08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
How the hell is trading Vlade for Kobe the worst trade when Kobe didn't even come in with immediate impact as a star player?

Because Kobe turned out to be the 2nd best sg in NBA history and a top 10 player all time.Divac was just a aging center at that time.

Bos_Sports4Life
08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
#3 pick (Kevin McHale) and Robert Parrish for the #1 pick (Joe Berry Caroll) and the #13 pick (Ricky Brown). That is by far and away the most lopsided trade I know of

JordansBulls
08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Because Kobe turned out to be the 2nd best sg in NBA history and a top 10 player all time.Divac was just a aging center at that time.

That's a hindsight. When I think about trades I think about how good the player that got traded was immediately.

blastmasta26
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
That Kobe trade is all hindsight. He was the 13th pick, he wasn't exactly a sure thing coming out of high school, and he demanded a trade. Not to mention the fact that it took him a few years to even get the starting job. In retrospect, Kobe proved to be worth much more but that wasn't really the case at the time.

Jint.
08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
for me it was Nene and Camby for McDyess :facepalm:

heyman321
08-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Vince Carter in his prime for Alonzo Mourning (didn't report, amnestied, then signed with Miami to win a title), Eric Williams (trash), Aaron Williams (trash), picks that turned out to be Joey Graham (trash), and Charlie Villanueva (trash). So essentially Vince Carter for nothing TO AN IN DIVISON OPPONENT WTF-- yeah I'd say this is worst trade I can think of other than Lakers getting Kareem for scrubs.

UPRock
08-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Vince Carter in his prime for Alonzo Mourning (didn't report, amnestied, then signed with Miami to win a title), Eric Williams (trash), Aaron Williams (trash), picks that turned out to be Joey Graham (trash), and Charlie Villanueva (trash). So essentially Vince Carter for nothing TO AN IN DIVISON OPPONENT WTF-- yeah I'd say this is worst trade I can think of other than Lakers getting Kareem for scrubs.

Yeah that was a bad trade, Carter was already a Star in the NBA, unlike Kobe when he was traded.

TheSource
08-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Was waiting for someone to post this, the Raptors literally got nothing out of this deal.

shep33
08-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Vince Carter to the Nets was really, really bad

netsgiantsyanks
08-12-2012, 03:20 PM

in hindsight, ****ing obviously. but you're acting like the charlotte GM knew the future and still traded kobe.

netsgiantsyanks
08-12-2012, 03:21 PM

in b4 llemon comes and says it was a bad deal for the nets.

keetyweedy
08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Dirk for Tractor Traylor

North Yorker
08-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Not 100% sure but I think the picks werent for Joey and CV, CV was the Raps pick iirc. The picks they got from the Nets were used on Graham and the other one was packaged with Jalen Rose to dump his contract.

Now if the Raps selected Granger over Graham it wouldnt have seemed like one of the worst trades of all time, but Babcock royally screwed it up the best he could.

Supamauhn
08-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Portland's trade of Moses Malone... They traded him for a first round pick to Buffalo whom then turned around and traded him to Huston for 2 first round picks...

asandhu23
08-12-2012, 03:36 PM
How about Warriors trade of Wilt Chamberlain for Paul Neumann, Connie Dierking and Lee Shaffer?

"Who are those three guys?" is a very good question.

UPRock
08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Dirk for Tractor Traylor

Yeah that was bad, Traylor wasn't good, at least Dirk had potential.

JOhnnyTHaJet
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
in b4 llemon comes and says it was a bad deal for the nets.

I still don't understand why he thinks that.

JPS
08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Sixers traded Moses Malone for Jeff Ruland sp

prime Charles Barkley for Jeff Hornacek , Andrew Lang and some other bum

Wilt to LA for garbage

D-Leethal
08-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Tractor Traylor for Dirk

spreadeagle
08-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Ya but you got 2picks in top 15..Raps fault for picking scrubs, had they taken 2 nice players the trade would have been good right

itsontheway.phx
08-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Gotta be Jason kidd for Starbury.

MickeyMgl
08-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Hindsight is 20/20. Besides that, Divac was 27, and there weren't more than 5 centers in the league better than him at a time when the league was deep with great centers. The guys ahead of him in those days - Olajuwon, Robinson, O'Neal, Ewing, Mourning - will probably all end up in the Hall of Fame.

Reversed86Curse
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Any trade involving a rookie, draft pick or undeveloped player shouldn't count in the conversation. Obviously, NOBODY had a clue how Kobe would pan out, or Kevin McHale with Parrish, for that matter.

Not sure who the worst trade loser would be, though.

JasonJohnHorn
08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I would say the Orlando deal. Protected picks and scrubs for the best center in the league. They didn't even get one starter out of this deal.

dru_562
08-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Pau gasol for kwame brown.

Lucky.
08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
I would say the Orlando deal. Protected picks and scrubs for the best center in the league. They didn't even get one starter out of this deal.

Afflalo.

AWC713
08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
also...who knows if kobe wouldve become kobe had he not demanded a trade and stayed with the lakers...

yes, he's a great player and a great talent, but is our view of him skewed because of the success his teams have enjoyed? what if t-mac played on the lakers instead of kobe? not saying t-mac would win 5 titles, but thats just an example of how much team play influences how we percieve certain players

blastmasta26
08-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Ya but you got 2picks in top 15..Raps fault for picking scrubs, had they taken 2 nice players the trade would have been good right

They could have had Andrew Bynum (instead of Villanueva) and Danny Granger (instead of Graham) with those two picks. That possibly could have made it a good trade.

Sixersfan69
08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Sixers trade Moses for squat

EDUTEXANS
08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I didn't read any of the posts except the first one. Kobe was a 13th pick, I don't think that was such a bad trade. (at the time of course)

the trade that made the least sense at the moment I have ever seen (off the top of my head), I might be overeacting but, a high first round pick (turned out to be 6th overall) for a veteran FA Gerald Wallace without any chance of making the playoffs made any kind of sense IMO

flatbush knicks
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
this d12 trade obviously you trade the best center in the game and get back nothing

DerekCzajkowski
08-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Bucks dirk nowitzki for Robert tractor traylor

netsgiantsyanks
08-12-2012, 10:51 PM

you do realize marc gasol was included in that deal, right?

Losoway
08-12-2012, 11:00 PM
vlade divac actually was hyped up back in the day . kobe didnt get good till a few years in

The worst trade for me is the magic trade that happen 2 days ago

by far the worst

DreamShaker
08-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Not the worst, but one that made no sense and was immediately mocked, was when Isaiah traded for Francis when he already had Marbury. One of the oddest trades I have ever seen.

MrfadeawayJB
08-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Yeah dont forget Marc! He was a question at the time but has turned himself into a top 10 C. Also cap room to sign Z-BO can be added to the equation

popo85
08-13-2012, 01:51 AM

R.I.P Big Tractor

jmoney85
08-13-2012, 02:00 AM
dwight howard for aaron afflalo

king4day
08-13-2012, 02:49 AM

Yeah dont forget Marc! He was a question at the time but has turned himself into a top 10 C. Also cap room to sign Z-BO can be added to the equation

He wasn't a top 10 center at the time of the trade, nor was he projected to be, so this is still one of the worst trades of all time.

MickeyMgl
08-13-2012, 03:05 AM

He wasn't a top 10 center at the time of the trade, nor was he projected to be, so this is still one of the worst trades of all time.

Time has shown that the Grizzlies knew what they were doing. They got a prospect that became an All-Star. Just because other people didn't see Marc for what he would become doesn't mean it was a total crapshoot. They saw talent, as did the Lakers when they drafted him.

They also got cap space and used it wisely. They really worked that trade as well as it could have been worked.

kobe4thewinbang
08-13-2012, 03:21 AM
I love Steve Kerr as a commentator, but trading Banks & Marion for Shaq was not a good trade. Neither was the one Cleveland made for Shaq.

jsthornton7
08-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Most Clippers trades...

IndyHeatjman
08-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Antoher awful trade, defenitely not the worst ever yet still bad. Suprise,Suprise, the Raptors are involved in this one too.
Pacers send Jermaine O'Neal PF + draft rights to 41st pick in 2008 Nathan Jawai PF(who?). To the Raptors for T.J. Ford PG + Rasho Nesterovic C + Maceo Baston PF + And Draft Rights to Roy Hibbert C(Future All-Star).
O'Neal played only 41 games with the Raptors, then continued to decline since. And Nathan Jawai? who cares? Toronto has a terrible history when it comes to trades.

JordansBulls
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Dirk didn't come in with immediate impact.

The Best Around
08-13-2012, 12:49 PM
If we aren't counting draft pick trades like Kobe...

The 76ers trading Allen Iverson for Andre Miller and a pick or two that amounted to nothing. They traded arguably their most popular player of all-time for a serviceable point guard.

The Magic traded McGrady for Francis & Mobley was pretty bad considering McGrady was an elite scorer at the time.

And the Howard trade is up there, especially considering the draft picks they're getting are for years from now and are lottery protected.

Yunqn
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Trading dwight howard

Getting aaron afflalo & al harrington

THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST TRADE IN HISTORY..

mvb815
08-13-2012, 01:34 PM
any trade involving the lakers, the other team is most likely a candidate for worst trade in nba history

C-Wick925
08-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Aaron Affalo for cap relief? Coulda hung on to him a cpl more years and landed dwight with him! lol

smith&wesson
08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
vince carter traded for eric & aron williams :confused: wtf ?? and toronto had to buy out alonzo mournings contract...

so we traded our franchise player for two guys who were out of the league all together a couple years later and had to pay 10 million to buy out a contract on a player who was included in the deal but refused to report to us.

smith&wesson
08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Trading dwight howard

Getting aaron afflalo & al harrington

THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST TRADE IN HISTORY..

lol are you forgetting about the picks they got ??

rasheed34
08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
the d12 deal was pretty bad....ORL got wat Affalo out of it??? seriously?

Losoway
08-13-2012, 02:17 PM
the d12 deal was bad. you get d league talent wise scrubs and Late round protected draft picks ( more d-league potentiial picks ) for Arguably the TOP 5 player in the game and you didnt even get a allstar back

smh worst

BobbyHillSwag
08-13-2012, 02:27 PM
If we aren't counting draft pick trades like Kobe...

The 76ers trading Allen Iverson for Andre Miller and a pick or two that amounted to nothing. They traded arguably their most popular player of all-time for a serviceable point guard.

The Magic traded McGrady for Francis & Mobley was pretty bad considering McGrady was an elite scorer at the time.

And the Howard trade is up there, especially considering the draft picks they're getting are for years from now and are lottery protected.

You sir have won this thread, these are all some of the worst trades ever barring hindsight. Well in the 2000's atleast. I think Wilt and barkley got traded for scraps too.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-13-2012, 02:31 PM
What ORL got out of the Dwight deal was a path to a top 3 pick in next years draft along with the 15th pick in this years draft, and a few extra bonus picks over the next few years and they got rid of J-Rich's contract. They wanted that.

They did not want Lopez or Bynum on a big contract with a path to a yearly pick in the 10-16 range giving them no chance to become an elite team for quite some time.

I think it was the right move to do for them.

shizzle09
08-13-2012, 02:35 PM

because he's kobe. they still traded one of the all time greats for divac no matter how u spin it. pretty bad trade

ghettosean
08-13-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm with you Shep.... Considering the mavericks were considering trading Dirk for Carter and we passed on that for a bag of magic beans I would have to concur that this is the worst trade in NBA history.

ghettosean
08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
vince carter traded for eric & aron williams :confused: wtf ?? and toronto had to buy out alonzo mournings contract...

so we traded our franchise player for two guys who were out of the league all together a couple years later and had to pay 10 million to buy out a contract on a player who was included in the deal but refused to report to us.

Smith you worded it perfectly....

I left the juicy details of this epic failure out!!!

fadedmario
08-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Rasheed Wallace to the Pistons for NOTHING!

Or the Grant Hill to Orlando trade with a prime Ben Wallace coming back (nuff said).

Dumars has had two trades that are up there.

He also has the Chauncey/Iverson trade though..

MickeyMgl
08-14-2012, 02:38 PM
because he's kobe. they still traded one of the all time greats for divac no matter how u spin it. pretty bad trade

They traded a HS kid who was drafted 13th overall and had a lot of potential for a 27-year-old All-Star caliber center in a decade rich with great centers. Divac was behind only legends at that time: Olajuwon, Robinson, O'Neal, Ewing, Mourning.

MickeyMgl
08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
To twist a popular phrase, sometimes the worst trades are trades that aren't made.

Kevin McHale had the opportunity to trade free agent Tom Gugliotta to the Lakers for All-Star guard Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell. Jerry West offered him two young, athletic starters - one a starting All-Star - for a guy who is otherwise going to leave as a free agent.

McHale, rather than give the Lakers the power forward they were looking for to pair up with Shaquille O'Neal, chose instead to shoot his franchise in the foot and let Gugliotta sign with the Phoenix Suns. "Take that, Lakers!"

thephoenixson28
08-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Of course Orlando.

If they wanted cap relief. Humphries was a expiring, and Lopez was a restricted free agent. + the 4 picks. At least if Lopez amounted to anything, they could've got a sign and trade for him. If I'm not mistaken, they were going to take Hedo contract also.

C_Mund
08-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Was waiting for someone to post this, the Raptors literally got nothing out of this deal.

We can't blame anybody for the s***ty draft picks in CV and JG though

C_Mund
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm with you Shep.... Considering the mavericks were considering trading Dirk for Carter and we passed on that for a bag of magic beans I would have to concur that this is the worst trade in NBA history.

There was also a rumored VC for prime Ray Ray.....

maclevel
08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
How about the Wizards trading Chris Webber for old ***** Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe who was like 40 years old.

jrivera
08-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I'd have to say whoever makes a deal with the LA Lakers. Because they ALWAYS are on the good end of the deal!

BobbyHillSwag
08-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Rasheed Wallace to the Pistons for NOTHING!

Or the Grant Hill to Orlando trade with a prime Ben Wallace coming back (nuff said).

Dumars has had two trades that are up there.

He also has the Chauncey/Iverson trade though..

too bad he didnt get his coach to utilize iverson right though. Iverson was still much better than billups then

No Fun League
08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
October 20 1976: Nets trade Julius Erving to Philadelphia for cash. (3mil) :clap: :clap: :clap:

MickeyMgl
08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I'd have to say whoever makes a deal with the LA Lakers. Because they ALWAYS are on the good end of the deal!

Except for Eddie Jones & Elden Campbell for Glen Rice. Worst move of Jerry West's career.

8kobe24
08-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Lebron for trade exception.

AsfanSince99
08-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Who made the worst trade in NBA history that you could remember?

I say Charlotte trading Kobe for Vlade Divac.:facepalm:

Would have been interesting to see Kobe how would develop in Charlotte.
Dude, the WORST trade in NBA history has to be a trade that has serious implications that would set the franchise back for years to come.

As a 6er fan, the Moses trade broke up a dynasty in the making when our cheap *** owner didn't want to pay Moses instead trading him for another center who played 5 games and retired due to injury. We never recovered and was forced to trade Barkley years later.

Another dynasty destroying trade was when Golden State traded CWebb for Tom Gugliatta? That GSW team was a dynasty in the making had they not traded away Webber.

TrueFan420
08-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Kobe's great but not top ten or even the best laker ever

Corey
08-14-2012, 05:18 PM
#3 pick (Kevin McHale) and Robert Parrish for the #1 pick (Joe Berry Caroll) and the #13 pick (Ricky Brown). That is by far and away the most lopsided trade I know of

theheatles
08-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Lou Alcindor