PDA

View Full Version : Could three-on-three basketball join the Olympic lineup?

3ballbomber
08-12-2012, 03:00 AM
It will if FIBA, the international governing body, has its way. Secretary-general Patrick Baumann said Saturday that his group planned to propose it to be played as early as the 2016 Rio Games.

Three-on-three, the game played in driveways, on playgrounds and around the country during the annual Gus Macker tournaments, debuted in the 2010 Youth Olympic Games. FIBA wants to create a comprehensive ranking system that would determine the best three-on-three teams in the world. FIBA already has a three-on-three world tour and world championship, but Baumann welcomed all three-on-three tournaments, such as Gus Macker and Hoop It Up, into the fold as long as those tournaments adhered to FIBA rules, including the registration of players in a database to chart wins and losses.

"Like volleyball has beach volleyball, swimming has synchronized swimming, we want three-on-three to be part of it," Baumann said.

After rankings determine the top teams worldwide, Baumann said, each nation would be responsible for creating a format to determine which team it would send to the Olympics.

Baumann reasoned that three-on-three would allow more countries to experience the Olympics and help FIBA expand basketball's global popularity. He said smaller basketball nations regularly send teams to the three-on-three world championship.

"We've chosen three-on-three as being one way of bringing that community into the Games," he said. "For us, this is also really about growing the mass of players on a grass-roots basis. We want them to be part of the family and hopefully have new talents for the game."

This would be fun having played an immense amount of 3-3 as a young buck.I actually think 2-2 would be fun to watch also.

Who would you pick to represent USA? Here's mine:

Rose
Durant
Love

I chose Love over centers like Howard & Bynum because not only can he match up with them but he can send defenders out of the paint w/ his 3 pt ability wich can add an extra dimension to the team. And anybody who has ever played 3-3 or 2-2 know how valuable 3 pointers are also.

Another line up i like:

Irving
Nowitzki
Howard

What do you think of having a 3-3 in the next olympics and what 3 players would you have represent USA and other countries for that matter.

smiddy012
08-12-2012, 03:25 AM
Nowitzki... lol

PocketKings
08-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Give me Irving - Durant - Lebron.

justjames
08-12-2012, 03:29 AM
21 would be a much better Olympic sport.

sixer04fan
08-12-2012, 03:35 AM
Nowitzki... lol

This.

But it could have potential. I'd give it a shot. I feel like for 3 on 3, you would really reduce the need for a true PG because the traditonal half court game would be shot to hell. For example, why have Irving-Lebron-Durant at that point, as someone else mentioned, when you can just have Lebron-Durant-Howard, or something else of that sort?

PocketKings
08-12-2012, 03:37 AM
I chose Irving - Durant - Lebron because I just personally love Irving and it'd be fun to see him play with Durant and Lebron. :shrug:

sixer04fan
08-12-2012, 03:43 AM
I chose Irving - Durant - Lebron because I just personally love Irving and it'd be fun to see him play with Durant and Lebron. :shrug:

No problem with that. I mean that'd be a sick team as well, regardless of my theory. When we're spoiled enough that we only have to pick 3 players to represent USA, it's hard to go wrong no matter what players you choose.

The question is do we have bench players? How many? And how often are we subbing? It all depends on the actual rules of the game (total game minutes, half court or full court, foul limit, etc.).

Raps18-19 Champ
08-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Another line up i like:

Irving
Nowitzki
Howard

Wouldn't work. Nowitzki is German so he can't be on team USA unless he gets citizenship. Kyrie probably would play for Australia if it was only 3 on 3 instead of the full 5 on 5 with 12 man rosters.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Lebron, Amar'e and Durant.

Lebron P&R with Amar'e with the option to kick it out to a slashing/shooting Durant.

COOLbeans
08-12-2012, 03:51 AM
This is a cool concept.

I'd roll with Lebron, Rose, and Howard. That team would be unstoppable..

PocketKings
08-12-2012, 03:55 AM
What about a Kwame Brown - Matt Bonner - Brian Scalabrine trio?

:drool:

GREATNESS ONE
08-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Team 1
Howard
Durant
CP3

Team 2
Love
Lebron
Irving/Rose

The_Jamal
08-12-2012, 04:02 AM
What about a Kwame Brown - Matt Bonner - Brian Scalabrine trio?

:drool:

Brian Cardinal-Matt Bonner-Brian Scalabrine

is much a much better offensive fit

PocketKings
08-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Brian Cardinal-Matt Bonner-Brian Scalabrine

is much a much better offensive fit

True. You win.

They could go against: DJ Mbenga - Desagna Diop - Bismack Biyombo.

That game would have so much swag.

PocketKings
08-12-2012, 04:05 AM
So the real question now is who wins:
Brian Cardinal - Brian Scalabrine - Matt Bonner
vs
Desagna Diop - DJ Mbenga - Bismack Biyombo

:speechless:

oballerc75
08-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Players would team up with their nba teammates.

Trueblue2
08-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Lebron
Wade
Bosh

Westbrook
Durrant
Howard

USA would definitely have 2 teams and the players choose their teams so there would be teaming up similar to in the NBA. Lebron and Wade would team up for sure and it would kill their team chemistry if they teamed up with anyone but Bosh. Westbrook and Durrant need a big guy to team with so why not Dwight?

Lakers + Giants
08-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Rose
Lebron
Dwight

SaimuKala
08-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Durant
Howard
LeBron

NoahH
08-12-2012, 02:14 PM
This would be fun having played an immense amount of 3-3 as a young buck.I actually think 2-2 would be fun to watch also.

Who would you pick to represent USA? Here's mine:

Rose
Durant
Love

I chose Love over centers like Howard & Bynum because not only can he match up with them but he can send defenders out of the paint w/ his 3 pt ability wich can add an extra dimension to the team. And anybody who has ever played 3-3 or 2-2 know how valuable 3 pointers are also.

Another line up i like:

Irving
Nowitzki
Howard

What do you think of having a 3-3 in the next olympics and what 3 players would you have represent USA and other countries for that matter.

YEAH The German NOWITZKI would DEFINITELY play for the USA even tho he's played for Germany in all his Olympics. That makes complete sense!!!! :clap: