PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Kupchak: How The Dwight Trade Unfolded

kblo247
08-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Thought this should be in the GB as people have talked about how the from offices have handled these negotiations, leaks, and the like:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/kupchak-on-howard-we-got-the-best/

Long and Interesting Highlights:

On the uncertainty of the deal.

To credit Rob Hennigan the GM of Orlando Magic, it got to the point for me where it was quite frankly frustrating. What he was doing was his job, which was to sort out and seek out the best possible deal for the organization.

On Dwight not signing extension.

“Our feeling was, no matter what anybody said, let’s just get him to Los Angeles and we’ll take our chances,” said Kupchak. “In fact, in all my years there’s only one player who left Los Angeles, and I’m still not sure why he did it, and that’s A.C. Green.”

On Andrew Bynum.

"We’re talking about the starting center in the West being traded for the starting center in the East. So, I don’t think anybody has to defend Andrew Bynum’s accomplishments,” said Kupchak.

So then why go through all these months of trouble to trade the second-best center in the league for the best?

“You answered your own question,” said Kupchak. “We got the best.”

Pau Gasol.

“Pau was never part of a deal this summer,” said Kupchak.

Moles in the organizations.

Yesterday was a pretty fast moving day in negotiation but last night we had a four-team conference call and we all agreed to keep it quiet. Twenty minutes later, on my ride home, someone had the exact deal on radio.

On Hennigan.

“I don’t have a relationship with Rob like I do the other GMs because it takes time to get to know somebody, so I have to learn his style. But, looking back on it he did exactly what he was supposed to do. He took his time, looked at every opportunity, narrowed it down, negotiated, went to other teams, negotiated some more and kept coming back to you.

Telling Mike Brown about the trade.

I know Jim Buss is and I know Coach [Mike Brown] is. When we told him yesterday after we had the conference call I told Mike I thought we have a deal”

“He looked at me and asked ‘Who we’re getting?’”

“I said ‘Dwight.’”

“He said ‘Who is going out?’, and I said ‘Andrew’”

“He said ‘That’s all?’”

“I said, of course, “Josh, Christian, draft picks.’”

“He said ‘No Pau?’”

“I said ‘No Pau.’”

“And he jumped out of his chair and hugged me.”

kblo247
08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Legit laughed at the Mike Brown jumping out the chair to hug him part when he found out Pau was staying and Andrew was gone

Losoway
08-11-2012, 11:25 PM
lakers forum

D12 fan
08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
lakers forum

U mad?:mad:

Aust
08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
It's been in the Laker's forum for some time. The patience paid off Mitch :hi5:

But we honestly really don't need another Laker thread

D12 fan
08-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Mitch is a boss.

showtime24
08-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Great read! Thanks!

lol at Mike Brown

kblo247
08-11-2012, 11:32 PM
I still find the leak thing interesting. If they kept the circle small and it still got leaked, you have to wonder who the mole is or was in all the talks and if they gave him the red herring of Pau being in it like originally reported to out him so future deals don't break down, assuming it was a Magic leak

D Blue987
08-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I still find the leak thing interesting. If they kept the circle small and it still got leaked, you have to wonder who the mole is or was in all the talks and if they gave him the red herring of Pau being in it like originally reported to out him so future deals don't break down, assuming it was a Magic leak

FBI hacked their phone calls and reported the deals to radio stations just to screw with us. :cool::cool::cool::p

Chronz
08-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Mitch should have told everyone a different side of the deal so he could know who it was that leaked it ala the midget from game of thrones

Dade County
08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
good stuff.. thanks for the info, enjoyed it.

tnewkirk
08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
:laugh2: i just feel bad for magic fans.

Raph12
08-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I wonder how happy he is to get Bynum's trolling *** out of LA lol.

kblo247
08-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Yeah Bynum did troll Brown more than another player. He outright dogged it to prove points to him because I think he felt he was protected. Mike wasn't a McRoberts fan either as Josh's agent went OT the media and called him out for suddenly not playing him.

Got to agree with you Chronz. It would be funny, but yeah he said it got to him all the leaks early on, so you have to think they tried hard to weed the mole out. I mean you have to guess it came from Orlando or Dwight's agent, maybe both, because the only trade I remember with all these leaks was Melo last year

DR_1
08-12-2012, 12:00 AM

:laugh: This coming from the guy who was a Magic/Heat fan and is now a Lakers fan :laugh:

#1chickhearnfan
08-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Great post!

SportsFanatic10
08-12-2012, 03:10 AM

hahaha dude you're ridiculous to say the least. gotta give you credit i guess, you flip-flop with the best of them.

RC3
08-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Damn Mike Brown is probably a horrible coach but he always gets a talented roster. If the lakers lose, its all his fault.

kntresistheheat
08-12-2012, 05:47 AM
I heard Jerry Buss was the mole! :) The lakers are dumb for trading Bynum, there going to miss his threes! :(

On a serious note, I would like to see 76rs vs Lakers game and Bynum dominates Howard. I will crack up!

Iceman_9
08-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Hey Brown, you are going out next. :D

LakersSaintsLSU
08-12-2012, 06:43 AM
I heard Jerry Buss was the mole! :) The lakers are dumb for trading Bynum, there going to miss his threes! :(

On a serious note, I would like to see 76rs vs Lakers game and Bynum dominates Howard. I will crack up!

Cant wait to see Lakers vs Heat...when your bigs have to defend our bigs, i will crack up!

chrism8188
08-12-2012, 08:21 AM
LOL nice

Raidaz4Life
08-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Damn Mike Brown is probably a horrible coach but he always gets a talented roster. If the lakers lose, its all his fault.

I agree with this entirely. If the Lakers come anything short of a championship people won't be blaming Kobe, or Dwight or Pau.... it will all be on Mike Brown. As it should. Adelman or Van Gundy could win a title in their sleep with that roster.

JNA17
08-12-2012, 09:10 AM
I agree with this entirely. If the Lakers come anything short of a championship people won't be blaming Kobe, or Dwight or Pau.... it will all be on Mike Brown. As it should. Adelman or Van Gundy could win a title in their sleep with that roster.

Lakers should fire Brown for Stan Van Gundy ASAP!

...although it would be weird for both Howard and Van Gundy back together on a different team :p.

HowBoutDemBulls
08-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I dislike LA but gawd darn are Miami Fans and that Loserway chump butthurt. Scared and mad I would say.

Davidgta1
08-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Lakers should fire Brown for Stan Van Gundy ASAP!

...although it would be weird for both Howard and Van Gundy back together on a different team :p.

Dwight hates Van Gundy if we were gonna fire brown I rather have Sloan.

GoPacers33
08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Legit laughed at the Mike Brown jumping out the chair to hug him part when he found out Pau was staying and Andrew was gone

x2

Mave1002
08-12-2012, 10:07 AM
lakers forum

Werent you the same mr. knowitall who guaranteed everyone is here that Superman was going to Brooklyn?

Who's laughing now? :rolleyes:

WadeKobe
08-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Lol @ people saying if they lose it is Brown's fault. They are not better than the Heat and won't beat the Heat. The Heat's 3 is as good as or better than the Laker's 4, and our supporting cast is much better.

Also, OKC is prob still better than LA and matches up very well against them.

WadeKobe
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Dwight hates Van Gundy if we were gonna fire brown I rather have Sloan.

Sloan would never coach Dwight. I have a friend/acquaintance who is an old-school dude and is good friends with Sloan and has said Sloan has a real problem with the typical attitude current players have.... Dwight is the worst.

Avenged
08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Mike Brown was happy since he doesn't have to get trolled by Bynum anymore.

iliketurtles24
08-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Mike Brown... ahahahahahha

RaiderLakersA's
08-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Hey Brown, you are going out next. :D

I'm thinking the same thing. Just think, we almost had Coach K, until he backed out. Brown is so outclassed by some of the names that could be patrolling our sidelines. I don't think that Buss and Mitch are done evaluating ALL of the talent, especially the head coach.

tapajafri
08-12-2012, 10:21 PM
lakers forum

LA_Raiders
08-12-2012, 11:01 PM

lol, babynum was a headcase last season... Shooting 3s??? WTF?

Aust
08-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Good, I wouldn't want Sloan. Too old and by what DWill felt, too lazy

shep33
08-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Wow! I found some unseen footage of the deal.

Mitch's offer is awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPmTp9up26w